Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Italian seasoning help

What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"theChas." > wrote in message
.. .
> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

What food do you want to season at the moment?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"theChas." wrote:
> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

What part of Italy and what dish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"theChas." wrote:

> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

Oregano, basil, marjoram and a bit of sage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"theChas." > wrote

> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

Penzey's has basil, marjoram, thyme and cracked rosemary.

Can't speak for other brands.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

theChas. wrote

> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

Joe's right, it all depends on what you're going to cook.
Just remember that oregano in the south of Italy is used much more
than in the north, where fresh oregano is less available. The basic
herbs of italian cooking, if we can choose two, would be just parsley
and basil, which are very common in the cooking tradition of both the
north and the south of the "Boot" (for Italy's bott-like shape).
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote

> theChas. wrote
>
>> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

> Joe's right, it all depends on what you're going to cook.
> Just remember that oregano in the south of Italy is used much more
> than in the north, where fresh oregano is less available. The basic
> herbs of italian cooking, if we can choose two, would be just parsley
> and basil, which are very common in the cooking tradition of both the
> north and the south of the "Boot" (for Italy's bott-like shape).

Thing is, they sell stuff called Italian seasoning. He's asking what's
in that. Of course we know the country of Italy is not all using the
same herbs. But that's not what he was asking.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:

> theChas. wrote
>
> > What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

> Joe's right, it all depends on what you're going to cook.
> Just remember that oregano in the south of Italy is used much more
> than in the north, where fresh oregano is less available. The basic
> herbs of italian cooking, if we can choose two, would be just parsley
> and basil, which are very common in the cooking tradition of both the
> north and the south of the "Boot" (for Italy's bott-like shape).

That's true enough, but a lot of people don't know much about herbs and
spices, so some company's have marketed a mixture that they call Italian
Seasoning, and some types of cookbooks call for it in their recipes.
Personally, I don't buy herb mixtures. I just use the combinations as
required.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Vilco wrote:
>>
>> theChas. wrote
>>
>> > What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

>> Joe's right, it all depends on what you're going to cook.
>> Just remember that oregano in the south of Italy is used much more
>> than in the north, where fresh oregano is less available. The basic
>> herbs of italian cooking, if we can choose two, would be just parsley
>> and basil, which are very common in the cooking tradition of both the
>> north and the south of the "Boot" (for Italy's bott-like shape).

> That's true enough, but a lot of people don't know much about herbs and
> spices.....snip........

This is his chance to learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"theChas." > wrote in message
.. .
> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?

If you mean the bottle spiced called Italian Season then most contain:

oregano
basil
parsley
rosemary
marjoram
* Some also have thyme or savory

Just add the ones you like to what ever you are making.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "theChas." > wrote in message
> .. .
>> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?
>>

>> --
>>

> If you mean the bottle spiced called Italian Season then most contain:
>
> oregano
> basil
> parsley
> rosemary
> marjoram
> * Some also have thyme or savory
>
> Just add the ones you like to what ever you are making.
>

> Joe Cilinceon

I've always disliked the taste of thyme, but lately I've been adding a
little to a minestroni type soup I make -- I say it is that type because I
usually throw in rinds of parmesan reggiano and add at the end of the
cooking some orzo and a little beans (e fagioli - whatever the name is) so
who knows what it really is.

But I read that thyme is not such a bad idea for some Italian tomato sauces,
so I've tried it in my soups, so far I have found that a little thyme is
better than I thought and I now use it.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "theChas." > wrote in message
> .. .
>> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?
>>

>> --
>>

> If you mean the bottle spiced called Italian Season then most contain:
>
> oregano
> basil
> parsley
> rosemary
> marjoram
> * Some also have thyme or savory
>
> Just add the ones you like to what ever you are making.

I also got some kind of cheap stuff when I was living in NYC that had garlic
in it. *Whew* Not good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote

> Thing is, they sell stuff called Italian seasoning. He's asking
> what's in that. Of course we know the country of Italy is not all
> using the same herbs. But that's not what he was asking.

Oh, therefore one should better specifiy if he's referring to "italian
seasoning" or "commercial italian-seasoning mix"
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>> "theChas." > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> If you mean the bottle spiced called Italian Season then most
>> contain:
>>
>> oregano
>> basil
>> parsley
>> rosemary
>> marjoram
>> * Some also have thyme or savory
>>
>> Just add the ones you like to what ever you are making.

> I also got some kind of cheap stuff when I was living in NYC that had
> garlic in it. *Whew* Not good.

I once bought a mix that also (unbeknownst to me; I didn't read the label
carefully, totally my fault!) dried parmesan cheese powder. Wasn't what I
was looking for at all!! I really like the Penzey's blend of herbs they
call "Italian Seasoning Blend". www.penzeys.com

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> "theChas." wrote:
>> What other spices/herbs are in Italian seasoning besides oregano?
>>

> Oregano, basil, marjoram and a bit of sage.

Fennel too.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>>> "theChas." > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> If you mean the bottle spiced called Italian Season then most
>>> contain:
>>>
>>> oregano
>>> basil
>>> parsley
>>> rosemary
>>> marjoram
>>> * Some also have thyme or savory
>>>
>>> Just add the ones you like to what ever you are making.

>> I also got some kind of cheap stuff when I was living in NYC that had
>> garlic in it. *Whew* Not good.

> I once bought a mix that also (unbeknownst to me; I didn't read the label
> carefully, totally my fault!) dried parmesan cheese powder. Wasn't what I
> was looking for at all!! I really like the Penzey's blend of herbs they
> call "Italian Seasoning Blend". www.penzeys.com
>
> Jill

Not to appear contrary, but I was sent as a complimentary gift of the
"Italian Seasoning Blend" in an order. I tried it several times - even in
bread -- perhaps it was stale; it didn't seem to have enough oomph for me.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> I've always disliked the taste of thyme, but lately I've been adding a
> little to a minestroni type soup I make -- I say it is that type because I
> usually throw in rinds of parmesan reggiano and add at the end of the
> cooking some orzo and a little beans (e fagioli - whatever the name is) so
> who knows what it really is.
>
> But I read that thyme is not such a bad idea for some Italian tomato
> sauces, so I've tried it in my soups, so far I have found that a little
> thyme is better than I thought and I now use it.
>
> Dee Dee

I like thyme and tarragon when I sauté mushrooms for putting over or serving
with steak.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've always disliked the taste of thyme, but lately I've been adding a
>> little to a minestroni type soup I make -- I say it is that type because
>> I usually throw in rinds of parmesan reggiano and add at the end of the
>> cooking some orzo and a little beans (e fagioli - whatever the name is)
>> so who knows what it really is.
>>
>> But I read that thyme is not such a bad idea for some Italian tomato
>> sauces, so I've tried it in my soups, so far I have found that a little
>> thyme is better than I thought and I now use it.
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> I like thyme and tarragon when I sauté mushrooms for putting over or
> serving with steak.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Now, that's ironic, you mentioning tarragon. That is the 'other' herb that
I don't like. I've even grown tarragon and thyme, hoping to learn to like
them; well, I'm on my way with thyme, but tarragon has a way to go with me
:-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote:
> > Vilco wrote:
> >> theChas. wrote

> >> Joe's right, it all depends on what you're going to cook.
> >> Just remember that oregano in the south of Italy is used much more
> >> than in the north, where fresh oregano is less available. The basic
> >> herbs of italian cooking, if we can choose two, would be just parsley
> >> and basil, which are very common in the cooking tradition of both the
> >> north and the south of the "Boot" (for Italy's bott-like shape).

> > That's true enough, but a lot of people don't know much about herbs and
> > spices.....snip........

Rather like "fine herbs" or similar terms used for commercial
mixtures intended to give a French flavor, "curry powder" or
"chilli powder". All mixtures that vary by brand with homemade
ones tha tvary by chef.

> This is his chance to learn.

My chance, too. I like to add extra oregano to pizza sauce but I'm
no clear on how other mixtures might be tuned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> > I like thyme and tarragon when I sauté mushrooms for putting over or
> > serving with steak.
> >
> > Joe Cilinceon

> Now, that's ironic, you mentioning tarragon. That is the 'other' herb that
> I don't like. I've even grown tarragon and thyme, hoping to learn to like
> them; well, I'm on my way with thyme, but tarragon has a way to go with me

I use tarragon with chicken. Add some of it to seasoned flour for thin
chicken breasts and fry in better. Remove the chicken from the pan when it
is nicely browned and deglace the pan with white wine, reduce and then add
some more butter, stirring it constantly to make a nice sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 8:06 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Thing is, they sell stuff called Italian seasoning. He's asking what's
> in that. Of course we know the country of Italy is not all using the
> same herbs. But that's not what he was asking.

I knew that, you knew that, we all knew that. Some people just like to
argue, though.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote

> On Nov 1, 8:06 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> Thing is, they sell stuff called Italian seasoning. He's asking what's
>> in that. Of course we know the country of Italy is not all using the
>> same herbs. But that's not what he was asking.

> I knew that, you knew that, we all knew that. Some people just like to
> argue, though.

I wasn't even trying to be contrary. Heh. I never even heard of
Italian seasoning until a few years ago, myself. I don't think I
have any, but I get the general idea what it is. Some Mediterranean
type seasonings ready mixed.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> "Dee.Dee" wrote:
>>
>> > I like thyme and tarragon when I sauté mushrooms for putting over or
>> > serving with steak.
>> >
>> > Joe Cilinceon

>> Now, that's ironic, you mentioning tarragon. That is the 'other' herb
>> that
>> I don't like. I've even grown tarragon and thyme, hoping to learn to
>> like
>> them; well, I'm on my way with thyme, but tarragon has a way to go with
>> me

> I use tarragon with chicken. Add some of it to seasoned flour for thin
> chicken breasts and fry in better. Remove the chicken from the pan when it
> is nicely browned and deglace the pan with white wine, reduce and then add
> some more butter, stirring it constantly to make a nice sauce.

I haven't touched a chicken or any kind in over 30 years. Just can't eat the
stuff.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> > I use tarragon with chicken. Add some of it to seasoned flour for thin
> > chicken breasts and fry in better. Remove the chicken from the pan when it
> > is nicely browned and deglace the pan with white wine, reduce and then add
> > some more butter, stirring it constantly to make a nice sauce.

> I haven't touched a chicken or any kind in over 30 years. Just can't eat the
> stuff.

That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week. It
is one of the most versatile meats there is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message

>>> Now, that's ironic, you mentioning tarragon. That is the 'other' herb
>>> that
>>> I don't like. I've even grown tarragon and thyme, hoping to learn to
>>> like
>>> them; well, I'm on my way with thyme, but tarragon has a way to go with
>>> me

>> I use tarragon with chicken. Add some of it to seasoned flour for thin
>> chicken breasts and fry in better. Remove the chicken from the pan when
>> it
>> is nicely browned and deglace the pan with white wine, reduce and then
>> add
>> some more butter, stirring it constantly to make a nice sauce.

> I haven't touched a chicken or any kind in over 30 years. Just can't eat
> the stuff.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Chicken is something I can eat only once in a while myself. Two days in a
row -- forget it.

This reminds me of something that is pretty disgusting, but years ago a
fellow we knew had a wife born and raised in Korea. She was quite a
jokester; but she always said that she wouldn't eat anything that walked on
two legs. I'd just never heard that before - or since.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> I haven't touched a chicken or any kind in over 30 years. Just can't eat
>> the
>> stuff.
>>

> That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week. It
> is one of the most versatile meats there is.

I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth hormones.
It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter in 6 weeks.
It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth normally and then
it looks like a chicken.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message

>>> I use tarragon with chicken. Add some of it to seasoned flour for thin
>>> chicken breasts and fry in better. Remove the chicken from the pan when
>>> it
>>> is nicely browned and deglace the pan with white wine, reduce and then
>>> add
>>> some more butter, stirring it constantly to make a nice sauce.

>> I haven't touched a chicken or any kind in over 30 years. Just can't eat
>> the stuff.
>>
>> Joe Cilinceon

> Chicken is something I can eat only once in a while myself. Two days in a
> row -- forget it.
>
> This reminds me of something that is pretty disgusting, but years ago a
> fellow we knew had a wife born and raised in Korea. She was quite a
> jokester; but she always said that she wouldn't eat anything that walked
> on two legs. I'd just never heard that before - or since.
>
> Dee Dee

I lived on a dairy farm during the summers as a kid and had chores as most
did in my day. My grandparents who owned the farm also raised chicken,
turkeys, rabbits and duck in addition to pigs. I would eat any thing they
grew without any problem but today they don't raise animals for food like
they did 45 years ago. I purchase all my beef and pork from a local grower
that doesn't use steroids, antibiotics or hormones in either the animals or
feed crops which they also grow. I haven't found a local grower that does
chicken and I've learned to live without it after all of these years.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> > That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week. It
> > is one of the most versatile meats there is.

> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth hormones.
> It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter in 6 weeks.
> It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth normally and then
> it looks like a chicken.

Chickens grow quickly. When gown for meat, they should reach slaughter
weight of 4 lb. in 8-9 weeks. They start looking like chickens within about
2 weeks. They start off cute and yellow and within a few days go through a
relay ugly stage, but very soon look like small chickens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:
>
>> > That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week.
>> > It
>> > is one of the most versatile meats there is.

>> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth
>> hormones.
>> It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter in 6
>> weeks.
>> It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth normally and
>> then
>> it looks like a chicken.

> Chickens grow quickly. When gown for meat, they should reach slaughter
> weight of 4 lb. in 8-9 weeks. They start looking like chickens within
> about
> 2 weeks. They start off cute and yellow and within a few days go through a
> relay ugly stage, but very soon look like small chickens.

As I said Dave I grew up on a farm and saw chickens grow normally and not in
a box. No thanks I'll pass on it. |;-)

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> I haven't touched a chicken or any kind in over 30 years. Just can't eat
>>> the
>>> stuff.
>>>

>> That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week. It
>> is one of the most versatile meats there is.

> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth hormones.
> It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter in 6 weeks.
> It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth normally and then
> it looks like a chicken.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Chickens (at least in the US and Canada, to my knowledge) are never
given hormones.

--

Sarah Gray

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 6:22?pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "Joe Cilinceon" wrote
>
> This reminds me of something that is pretty disgusting, but years ago a
> fellow we knew had a wife born and raised in Korea. She was quite a
> jokester; but she always said that she wouldn't eat anything that walked on
> two legs. I'd just never heard that before - or since.

Why do you say it's disgusting... I think it's hilarious.

Sheldon Crawls

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
et...
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:
>>>>
>>> That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week.
>>> It
>>> is one of the most versatile meats there is.

>> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth
>> hormones. It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter
>> in 6 weeks. It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth
>> normally and then it looks like a chicken.
>>
>> Joe Cilinceon

> Chickens (at least in the US and Canada, to my knowledge) are never given
> hormones.
>
> --
>
> Sarah Gray

Then lets call them growth drugs or some chemical name. I know what they
say, but who checks it out, the one food inspector that covers the all the
chickens grown in the US. I don't know about what Canada does about
enforcing their laws on food, but I just don't trust most of the food supply
in this country any more. If you could compare first hand the chickens
available 35 years ago and what we get today then you would know what I'm
talking about even without eating any.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
t...

> I agree with your sentiments about food, Joe, but you shouldn't refer to
> hormones in chickens when they are not given them as a matter of usual
> practice. They are, however, given antibiotics and other drugs, fed an
> awful, unnatural diet, and kept in horrid conditions. bad enough, ya know?
>

> --
>
> Sarah Gray

Actually I think they are feed growth hormones based on how fast they grow
to maturity now as compared those grown as yard birds. Something has to
explain that regardless as it isn't a natural growth rate. I also look at
the obesity problem in this and many other countries and look at their main
source of protein. I will bet dollars to donuts it is chicken or turkey in
some form or other.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> "Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
> t...
>> I agree with your sentiments about food, Joe, but you shouldn't refer to
>> hormones in chickens when they are not given them as a matter of usual
>> practice. They are, however, given antibiotics and other drugs, fed an
>> awful, unnatural diet, and kept in horrid conditions. bad enough, ya know?

> Actually I think they are feed growth hormones

no. they are not. at least not in the states.

>based on how fast they grow
> to maturity now as compared those grown as yard birds.

It's the feed they get- chickens are "supposed" to eat random vegetation
and seeds and insects, not processed corn.

Something has to
> explain that regardless as it isn't a natural growth rate. I also look at
> the obesity problem in this and many other countries and look at their main
> source of protein.

The main source of protein here in the states in corn :< think about it...

>I will bet dollars to donuts it is chicken or turkey in
> some form or other.

or beans. or rice.
much of the world does not eat meat on a regular basis.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> "Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
> et...
>> Joe Cilinceon wrote:

>>> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth
>>> hormones. It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter
>>> in 6 weeks. It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth
>>> normally and then it looks like a chicken.
>>>
>>> Joe Cilinceon

>> Chickens (at least in the US and Canada, to my knowledge) are never given
>> hormones.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Sarah Gray

> Then lets call them growth drugs or some chemical name. I know what they
> say, but who checks it out, the one food inspector that covers the all the
> chickens grown in the US. I don't know about what Canada does about
> enforcing their laws on food, but I just don't trust most of the food supply
> in this country any more. If you could compare first hand the chickens
> available 35 years ago and what we get today then you would know what I'm
> talking about even without eating any.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

I agree with your sentiments about food, Joe, but you shouldn't refer to
hormones in chickens when they are not given them as a matter of usual
practice. They are, however, given antibiotics and other drugs, fed an
awful, unnatural diet, and kept in horrid conditions. bad enough, ya know?

--

Sarah Gray

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> I haven't touched a chicken or any kind in over 30 years. Just can't eat
>>> the
>>> stuff.
>>>

>> That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week.
>> It
>> is one of the most versatile meats there is.

> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth
> hormones. It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter
> in 6 weeks. It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth
> normally and then it looks like a chicken.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

What are your 10 favorite protein sources?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least twice a week.
>>> It
>>> is one of the most versatile meats there is.

>> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and growth
>> hormones. It isn't natural to go from the egg to you super market counter
>> in 6 weeks. It takes about 6 months for a chicken to reach full growth
>> normally and then it looks like a chicken.
>>
>> Joe Cilinceon

> What are your 10 favorite protein sources?

is that a challenge?

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:42:56 +0100, "Vilco" > wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote
>
>> Thing is, they sell stuff called Italian seasoning. He's asking
>> what's in that. Of course we know the country of Italy is not all
>> using the same herbs. But that's not what he was asking.

>Oh, therefore one should better specifiy if he's referring to "italian
>seasoning" or "commercial italian-seasoning mix"

Oh, come on. The OP didn't ask how to season any dish in particular.
The subject header was: "Italian Seasoning". Everyone knows that's
asking about what's in the commercial mix.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:36:10 -0400, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:
>I've always disliked the taste of thyme, but lately I've been adding a
>little to a minestroni type soup I make -- I say it is that type because I
>usually throw in rinds of parmesan reggiano and add at the end of the
>cooking some orzo and a little beans (e fagioli - whatever the name is) so
>who knows what it really is.
>
>But I read that thyme is not such a bad idea for some Italian tomato sauces,
>so I've tried it in my soups, so far I have found that a little thyme is
>better than I thought and I now use it.

I love thyme! I use it as much as I use garlic, but I don't use it in
tomato sauces.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah Gray > wrote in
et:

> Joe Cilinceon wrote:
>>>>
>>> That's a damned shame. I love chicken. I have it at least
>>> twice a week. It is one of the most versatile meats there
>>> is.

>> I just hope it doesn't poison you with the antibiotics and
>> growth hormones. It isn't natural to go from the egg to
>> you super market counter in 6 weeks. It takes about 6
>> months for a chicken to reach full growth normally and
>> then it looks like a chicken.

> Chickens (at least in the US and Canada, to my knowledge)
> are never given hormones.

not in Canada, they have laws against it. they also don't
allow debeaking (so overcrowded chickens can't peck each
other) or removing the wings, both of which (along with
hormones & antibiotics) are the norm for US factory farmed
chicken.
lee

A gay which write in italian or english about italian wine roby[_2_] Wine 9 05-03-2007 09:43 PM
Italian Meatloaf (Uses Italian Sausage) Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 10-07-2006 02:12 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM
TN: Italian winner, Italian loser Dale Williams Wine 0 31-03-2004 02:44 PM
REQ: Panforte (Italian fruitcake) and other Italian Holiday goodies anna maria General Cooking 1 01-12-2003 03:09 PM