Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default attn Serene

I know everyone wanted to ridicule you about that chicken rice soup
casserole thing. Bu I'm curious to try it. I don't think I've ever made
anything with soups in it before. But I'm just wondering if the quantities
were right. You said 6 chicken thighs, 3 cans soup, 3 cans water, 3 cans
milk, and 2 cups rice. It seems like a lot of liquid. Did you try it?

Thanks

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Jen!

"Jen" wrote
>I know everyone wanted to ridicule you about that chicken rice soup

Got some real 'winners' here I admit.

> casserole thing. Bu I'm curious to try it. I don't think I've ever made
> anything with soups in it before. But I'm just wondering if the
> quantities were right. You said 6 chicken thighs, 3 cans soup, 3 cans
> water, 3 cans milk, and 2 cups rice. It seems like a lot of liquid. Did
> you try it?

I didnt see the origional but lets see what happenes here.

The 2 cups of dry rice will soak up 4 cups of water. Thats a solid rice and
I think you wanted a soupy thing a bit like congee/juk. I havent measured a
can to see but seems it's a 1/4 cup more or so there so the 3 cans of water
would match the rice pretty much. I dunno about simmering that much milk
that long. Seems it would curdle? Yet if the thighs were not cooked, they
would have to go that way. Perhaps the milk was added near the end? I
think I'd add 2 cans chicken stock at the start then and 1 can 'cream' near
the end.

You don't mention any spices but there are several that would work well and
enhance this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> I know everyone wanted to ridicule you about that chicken rice soup
> casserole thing. Bu I'm curious to try it. I don't think I've ever made
> anything with soups in it before. But I'm just wondering if the quantities
> were right. You said 6 chicken thighs, 3 cans soup, 3 cans water, 3 cans
> milk, and 2 cups rice. It seems like a lot of liquid. Did you try it?

No one seemed to ridicule me too much. I took everyone's warnings
about too much liquid to heart, and I halved the liquid (used just 3
cans of milk instead of 3 and 3), and I shouldn't have. The rice
came out only partially cooked when all was said and done, after all
the liquid absorbed, so I had areas of fully cooked rice, but mostly
clumps of way-undercooked. I will use all the liquid next time, but
I'll need a bigger baking dish.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Puritanism -- The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be
happy." -- H. L. Mencken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" wrote
..
> Jen wrote:
>> I know everyone wanted to ridicule you about that chicken rice soup
>> casserole thing. Bu I'm curious to try it. I don't think I've ever made
>> anything with soups in it before. But I'm just wondering if the
>> quantities were right. You said 6 chicken thighs, 3 cans soup, 3 cans
>> water, 3 cans milk, and 2 cups rice. It seems like a lot of liquid. Did
>> you try it?

> No one seemed to ridicule me too much. I took everyone's warnings about
> too much liquid to heart, and I halved the liquid (used just 3 cans of
> milk instead of 3 and 3), and I shouldn't have. The rice came out only
> partially cooked when all was said and done, after all the liquid
> absorbed, so I had areas of fully cooked rice, but mostly clumps of
> way-undercooked. I will use all the liquid next time, but I'll need a
> bigger baking dish.

Grin, I'd reduce it a little but not much. So it was baked? My reply had
not taken that track when I was thinking about adding milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I will use all the liquid next time, but
> I'll need a bigger baking dish.

So it makes heaps? Maybe I'll halve ALL the ingredients then. How many
people would it serve?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> I will use all the liquid next time, but
>> I'll need a bigger baking dish.

> So it makes heaps? Maybe I'll halve ALL the ingredients then. How many
> people would it serve?

Four to six, easily. The three of us didn't come near to finishing it.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"I reverse the phrase of Voltaire, and say that if God really
existed, it would be necessary to abolish him." [Mikhail Bakunin]