Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default artichokes

When I was a kid, once in a while my mom would make artichokes for
supper. They were steamed until soft, with garlic powder shaken into
them. We ate them with just salt, and I loved them. Sometimes I
make them the same way, but I drizzle olive oil into them before
steaming, and I dip the leaves in melted garlic-butter with lemon and
parmesan. Still, the process of eating them is a rushed affair,
trying to get to the heart. And the heart is so small - I always want
more.
Canned artichoke hearts are NOT the same. They are fine for
artichoke dip, which is yummy, but what I really want is a big
plateful of fresh steamed hearts, all buttered and garlicked.
Artichokes can get up to $1.29 apiece in Massachusetts.
Why are the canned ones not delicious? The marinated ones are
a nice snack, but still very different from fresh. Anyone else love
artichokes? And what do YOU do with them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
mom0f4boys > wrote:

> When I was a kid, once in a while my mom would make artichokes for
> supper. They were steamed until soft, with garlic powder shaken into
> them. We ate them with just salt, and I loved them. Sometimes I
> make them the same way, but I drizzle olive oil into them before
> steaming, and I dip the leaves in melted garlic-butter with lemon and
> parmesan. Still, the process of eating them is a rushed affair,
> trying to get to the heart. And the heart is so small - I always want
> more.

I'm not in a hurry. I like the leaves also. There a many different
sizes of artichokes. Perhaps you should look for larger ones. I've
monssters. They cost more, of course.

> Canned artichoke hearts are NOT the same. They are fine for
> artichoke dip, which is yummy, but what I really want is a big
> plateful of fresh steamed hearts, all buttered and garlicked.

I've seen demos on tv where the chef cut off all the leaves, leaving
just the hearts, before cooking. Seems like an expensive waste to me.

We steam the artichokes in a little water, with lemon juice and a cut
garlic clove in the water. We serve either with garlic butter or
mayonnaise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mom0f4boys said...

> Why are the canned ones not delicious? The marinated ones are
> a nice snack, but still very different from fresh. Anyone else love
> artichokes? And what do YOU do with them?

I don't believe in artichoke "hearts," the ones with the leaves included.
ICK!

We knew artichoke hearts as the bottoms. The heart of the choke IS the
bottom. That's what we fought over when I was a kid.

Eggs Sardou, in my adult years, was my first departure from ordinary
artichoke leaf and heart butter dipping.

Now-a-days, out-of-season, I buy the cans of artichoke "bottoms" (7-8
count) and include them in my Vegelaya or an egg & artichoke & potato &
STUFF!!! breakfast.

The only prep with the canned "bottoms" is to dice them to size for
whatever dish you're making and rinse the heck out of them under hot water,
then toss them into a pot of boiling salted water to rid them of the citrus
"brine" for five minutes, then add them into your dish.

My job was to snip the leaf top prickers off. Mom wouldn't risk my "Chatty
Cathy" sister pricking her fingers! Better suited for the young BUMS!!! in
the house, obviously.

I could just about talk about artichokes all day. Darn near the only
vegetable I actually liked in my youth.

Maybe add some artichoke bottom bits to chicken enchiladas or in a grilled
cheese sandwich (plus garlic powder) or in an omelette OR as a never-
before-heard-of artichoke guacamole!

And in closing, WHO DOESN'T LIKE ARTICHOKES???

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5226...okes&hid=1&s=1

Andy
Ask me about asparagus!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
mom0f4boys > wrote:
>Anyone else love artichokes? And what do YOU do with them?

Steam them until they're done. Then dip them in
mayonnaise that I've flavored up a bit.

A couple of favorites:

1) Best Foods mayo, lime juice, and dill

2) Best Foods mayo and balsamic vinegar

(I really resist getting other brands of mayo. Kraft
just doesn't do it for me. Best Foods/Hellmans is all
I'll buy if I'm doing the buying. One of these days
I'm going to have to try making my own.)

--
Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:22:28 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>I ordinarily serve them with garlic butter. Sometimes I'll stuff the
>leaves with seasoned bread crumbs and drizzle a bit of olive oil on them.
>I'll bake them for a bit (after steaming until heart is tender) and serve
>with the garlic butter.

If you like anchovies, chop a few up and mix them in with the bread
crumbs, along with some grated parm or romano and a bit of lemon
juice. YUM!

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> (I really resist getting other brands of mayo. Kraft
> just doesn't do it for me. Best Foods/Hellmans is all
> I'll buy if I'm doing the buying. One of these days
> I'm going to have to try making my own.)

You really should try making your own. It's amazingly easy and tastes
great too.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> mom0f4boys > wrote:
>
>> When I was a kid, once in a while my mom would make artichokes for
>> supper. They were steamed until soft, with garlic powder shaken into
>> them. We ate them with just salt, and I loved them. Sometimes I
>> make them the same way, but I drizzle olive oil into them before
>> steaming, and I dip the leaves in melted garlic-butter with lemon and
>> parmesan. Still, the process of eating them is a rushed affair,
>> trying to get to the heart. And the heart is so small - I always want
>> more.

> I'm not in a hurry. I like the leaves also. There a many different
> sizes of artichokes. Perhaps you should look for larger ones. I've
> monssters. They cost more, of course.
>

>> Canned artichoke hearts are NOT the same. They are fine for
>> artichoke dip, which is yummy, but what I really want is a big
>> plateful of fresh steamed hearts, all buttered and garlicked.

> I've seen demos on tv where the chef cut off all the leaves, leaving
> just the hearts, before cooking. Seems like an expensive waste to me.
>
> We steam the artichokes in a little water, with lemon juice and a cut
> garlic clove in the water. We serve either with garlic butter or
> mayonnaise.

Are the really big artichokes good? I saw some monster ones at Safeway for
$1.50 each, but was afraid they might not be as nice as the smaller ones.
If they're good though, I'll grab some if they're still available at that
price.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LynneA > wrote:

>Are the really big artichokes good?

There seems to be no relationship between size and quality --
the good and flavorful ones can be any size, and so can the duds.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> LynneA > wrote:
>
>>Are the really big artichokes good?

> There seems to be no relationship between size and quality --
> the good and flavorful ones can be any size, and so can the duds.
>
> Steve

Ok, thanks. That is a good price for the smaller ones, so it will be well
worth it to grab these instead. Twice as much for the same price=good!

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LynneA said...

> Are the really big artichokes good? I saw some monster ones at Safeway
> for $1.50 each, but was afraid they might not be as nice as the smaller
> ones. If they're good though, I'll grab some if they're still available
> at that price.

If you're going to make a dish like Eggs Sardou you'll want a big heart that
will fit an English muffin bottom (matching diameter*) and that will easily
hold a large poached egg.

For a heart this size, you'll want to buy a nice fat artichoke!!!

Andy

*I say matching diameter because there's nothing worse than cutting into this
dish and only getting a little bit of artichoke on a large bit of muffin in
each bite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> LynneA said...
>
>> Are the really big artichokes good? I saw some monster ones at Safeway
>> for $1.50 each, but was afraid they might not be as nice as the smaller
>> ones. If they're good though, I'll grab some if they're still available
>> at that price.

> If you're going to make a dish like Eggs Sardou you'll want a big heart
> that
> will fit an English muffin bottom (matching diameter*) and that will
> easily
> hold a large poached egg.
>
> For a heart this size, you'll want to buy a nice fat artichoke!!!
>
> Andy
>
> *I say matching diameter because there's nothing worse than cutting into
> this
> dish and only getting a little bit of artichoke on a large bit of muffin
> in
> each bite.

That sounds lovely, Andy. Wish I could have dairy, I never tried Eggs
Sardou when I could :<(( Which begs the question, can one make Hollendaise
or Bechamel sauces with non-dairy milk? And if you can, would it taste like
anything you'd want to eat?? May have to experiment and find out. Couldn't
taste any worse than the fake "cheese" I made tonight!

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article .com>,
> > mom0f4boys > wrote:
> >
> >> When I was a kid, once in a while my mom would make artichokes for
> >> supper. They were steamed until soft, with garlic powder shaken into
> >> them. We ate them with just salt, and I loved them. Sometimes I
> >> make them the same way, but I drizzle olive oil into them before
> >> steaming, and I dip the leaves in melted garlic-butter with lemon and
> >> parmesan. Still, the process of eating them is a rushed affair,
> >> trying to get to the heart. And the heart is so small - I always want
> >> more.

> > I'm not in a hurry. I like the leaves also. There a many different
> > sizes of artichokes. Perhaps you should look for larger ones. I've
> > monssters. They cost more, of course.
> >

> >> Canned artichoke hearts are NOT the same. They are fine for
> >> artichoke dip, which is yummy, but what I really want is a big
> >> plateful of fresh steamed hearts, all buttered and garlicked.

> > I've seen demos on tv where the chef cut off all the leaves, leaving
> > just the hearts, before cooking. Seems like an expensive waste to me.
> >
> > We steam the artichokes in a little water, with lemon juice and a cut
> > garlic clove in the water. We serve either with garlic butter or
> > mayonnaise.

> Are the really big artichokes good? I saw some monster ones at Safeway for
> $1.50 each, but was afraid they might not be as nice as the smaller ones.
> If they're good though, I'll grab some if they're still available at that
> price.
>
> Lynne A

I always found the large ones to be just fine and dandy, so long as the
heads were tight and the stems were thick, and the leaf tips had not
started to purple a lot.

Picture of an artichoke bloom from one of the gardening binary lists:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/Artichoke.jpg

They are a giant thistle bloom. :-)

Supposedly, if I harvest the local wild thistles when the buds are still
closed, they are edible if steamed and I've read they taste similar to
the farmed artichokes.

I've not tried them yet.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

LynneA said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> LynneA said...
>>
>>> Are the really big artichokes good? I saw some monster ones at
>>> Safeway for $1.50 each, but was afraid they might not be as nice as
>>> the smaller ones. If they're good though, I'll grab some if they're
>>> still available at that price.

>> If you're going to make a dish like Eggs Sardou you'll want a big heart
>> that
>> will fit an English muffin bottom (matching diameter*) and that will
>> easily
>> hold a large poached egg.
>>
>> For a heart this size, you'll want to buy a nice fat artichoke!!!
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> *I say matching diameter because there's nothing worse than cutting
>> into this
>> dish and only getting a little bit of artichoke on a large bit of
>> muffin in
>> each bite.

> That sounds lovely, Andy. Wish I could have dairy, I never tried Eggs
> Sardou when I could :<(( Which begs the question, can one make
> Hollendaise or Bechamel sauces with non-dairy milk? And if you can,
> would it taste like anything you'd want to eat?? May have to experiment
> and find out. Couldn't taste any worse than the fake "cheese" I made
> tonight!

Lynne,

Here's a Guilt-Free Hollandaise from chef Ming Tsai that is dairy free.

http://www.ming.com/simplyming/showr...Holandaise.htm

You could substitute shrimp for the poached eggs? Probably taste even more
delicious!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "LynneA" > wrote:
>>
>> Are the really big artichokes good? I saw some monster ones at Safeway
>> for
>> $1.50 each, but was afraid they might not be as nice as the smaller ones.
>> If they're good though, I'll grab some if they're still available at that
>> price.
>>
>> Lynne A
>>

> I always found the large ones to be just fine and dandy, so long as the
> heads were tight and the stems were thick, and the leaf tips had not
> started to purple a lot.
>
> Picture of an artichoke bloom from one of the gardening binary lists:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/Artichoke.jpg

> They are a giant thistle bloom. :-)
>
> Supposedly, if I harvest the local wild thistles when the buds are still
> closed, they are edible if steamed and I've read they taste similar to
> the farmed artichokes.
>
> I've not tried them yet.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Ok, that's two votes, I am SO stopping by Safeway tomorrow! Hope they still
have them for that price, I've seen them as high as $2.00/ea for the small
ones lately.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> LynneA said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> LynneA said...

>>> If you're going to make a dish like Eggs Sardou you'll want a big heart
>>> that
>>> will fit an English muffin bottom (matching diameter*) and that will
>>> easily
>>> hold a large poached egg.
>>>
>>> For a heart this size, you'll want to buy a nice fat artichoke!!!
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>
>>> *I say matching diameter because there's nothing worse than cutting
>>> into this
>>> dish and only getting a little bit of artichoke on a large bit of
>>> muffin in
>>> each bite.

>> That sounds lovely, Andy. Wish I could have dairy, I never tried Eggs
>> Sardou when I could :<(( Which begs the question, can one make
>> Hollendaise or Bechamel sauces with non-dairy milk? And if you can,
>> would it taste like anything you'd want to eat?? May have to experiment
>> and find out. Couldn't taste any worse than the fake "cheese" I made
>> tonight!

> Lynne,
>
> Here's a Guilt-Free Hollandaise from chef Ming Tsai that is dairy free.
>
> http://www.ming.com/simplyming/showr...Holandaise.htm
>
> You could substitute shrimp for the poached eggs? Probably taste even more
> delicious!
>
> Andy

Thanks for the link, Andy, it's worth a try! The eggs are fine, just can't
have any milk products. Although, shrimp sounds totally decadent, may try
it anyway ;>))

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> Ok, that's two votes, I am SO stopping by Safeway tomorrow! Hope they still
> have them for that price, I've seen them as high as $2.00/ea for the small
> ones lately.
>
> Lynne A

Good hunting. :-)

I have to go cat food shopping in the morning so plan to check prices
again. I ate the two I bought last week. Wal-mart had some nice medium
sized ones for $1.00 each.

They also had Haas avocados 4 for $1.00!!!

I've not seen them for that price in years. Limes were 10 for $1.00 and
lemons were 5 for $1.00.

I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the new NAFTA
trucking regulations. Not having to transfer loads 100 miles from the
border might be cutting shipping costs for Mexican produce.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LynneA" > wrote in message

> That sounds lovely, Andy. Wish I could have dairy, I never tried Eggs
> Sardou when I could :<(( Which begs the question, can one make
> Hollendaise or Bechamel sauces with non-dairy milk? And if you can, would
> it taste like anything you'd want to eat?? May have to experiment and
> find out. Couldn't taste any worse than the fake "cheese" I made tonight!
>
> Lynne A

Lynne, have you ever made fake cheese from tofu, which is marinated/covered
with miso and let it sit to absorb?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "LynneA" > wrote:
>
>> Ok, that's two votes, I am SO stopping by Safeway tomorrow! Hope they
>> still
>> have them for that price, I've seen them as high as $2.00/ea for the
>> small
>> ones lately.
>>
>> Lynne A

> Good hunting. :-)
>
> I have to go cat food shopping in the morning so plan to check prices
> again. I ate the two I bought last week. Wal-mart had some nice medium
> sized ones for $1.00 each.
>
> They also had Haas avocados 4 for $1.00!!!
>
> I've not seen them for that price in years. Limes were 10 for $1.00 and
> lemons were 5 for $1.00.
>
> I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the new NAFTA
> trucking regulations. Not having to transfer loads 100 miles from the
> border might be cutting shipping costs for Mexican produce.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

I bloody hell forgot to stop by there! I was told to be at the
CPR/AED/First Aid class at 8, got there and they said 9, so I did my running
first, and totally spaced out on it. Dammit. Ok, maybe tomorrow!GRRRRR

Lynne A, should really eat the leeks and kale first anyway

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "LynneA" > wrote in message
>>
>> That sounds lovely, Andy. Wish I could have dairy, I never tried Eggs
>> Sardou when I could :<(( Which begs the question, can one make
>> Hollendaise or Bechamel sauces with non-dairy milk? And if you can,
>> would it taste like anything you'd want to eat?? May have to experiment
>> and find out. Couldn't taste any worse than the fake "cheese" I made
>> tonight!
>>
>> Lynne A
>>

> Lynne, have you ever made fake cheese from tofu, which is
> marinated/covered with miso and let it sit to absorb?
>
> Dee Dee

No, I haven't seen that one, Dee, do you perchance have a recipe for it? If
not, I can get to Googlin'. So far, the best one I've tried has been the
Mostarella recipe from The UnCheese Cookbook. I have GOT to get that book.
None of it tastes like cheese really, but it's got the same umami goin' on,
makes it good anyway. This last try though, was pretty horrid. It mellowed
as it cooled into something passable, but certainly not GOOD.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> I bloody hell forgot to stop by there! I was told to be at the
> CPR/AED/First Aid class at 8, got there and they said 9, so I did my running
> first, and totally spaced out on it. Dammit. Ok, maybe tomorrow!GRRRRR
>
> Lynne A, should really eat the leeks and kale first anyway

Heh! Well, I stopped in this morning to get more Avocados and prices
were back up. :-( Avocados, 2 for $1.00 and Artichokes, $1.50 each.

I left and went to H.E.B. instead. Avocados were 3 for $1.00 and I
forgot to look at Artichokes...

I did, however, pick up a 5 lb. plus fryer chicken for $.69 per lb.
I'm gonna roast that sucker. :-) Probably this weekend.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
> >
> > "LynneA" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> That sounds lovely, Andy. Wish I could have dairy, I never tried Eggs
> >> Sardou when I could :<(( Which begs the question, can one make
> >> Hollendaise or Bechamel sauces with non-dairy milk? And if you can,
> >> would it taste like anything you'd want to eat?? May have to experiment
> >> and find out. Couldn't taste any worse than the fake "cheese" I made
> >> tonight!
> >>
> >> Lynne A
> >>

> > Lynne, have you ever made fake cheese from tofu, which is
> > marinated/covered with miso and let it sit to absorb?
> >
> > Dee Dee
> >

> No, I haven't seen that one, Dee, do you perchance have a recipe for it? If
> not, I can get to Googlin'. So far, the best one I've tried has been the
> Mostarella recipe from The UnCheese Cookbook. I have GOT to get that book.
> None of it tastes like cheese really, but it's got the same umami goin' on,
> makes it good anyway. This last try though, was pretty horrid. It mellowed
> as it cooled into something passable, but certainly not GOOD.
>
> Lynne A

If it won't melt, it's just not the same. :-(

Lynne, can you handle goat cheese perhaps?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LynneA" > wrote in message

>> Lynne, have you ever made fake cheese from tofu, which is
>> marinated/covered with miso and let it sit to absorb?
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> No, I haven't seen that one, Dee, do you perchance have a recipe for it?
> If not, I can get to Googlin'. So far, the best one I've tried has been
> the Mostarella recipe from The UnCheese Cookbook. I have GOT to get that
> book. None of it tastes like cheese really, but it's got the same umami
> goin' on, makes it good anyway. This last try though, was pretty horrid.
> It mellowed as it cooled into something passable, but certainly not GOOD.
>
> Lynne A

Lynne, I have several cookbooks that it may have been in, but I don't see
it. But I did have the UnCheese Cookbook at one time, so it may be in that
if you look a little further.

However, if it isn't, I found this thru google that I would say is
identical. This has been years ago that I made it, but it was a little too
costly in my opinion, but it wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure I let it go for
the full 3 days.
Dee Dee

http://www.natural-connection.com/ki...ific_tofu.html

Tofu Cheese
This tofu dish is a great substitute for cheese in salads, dressings, dips
or snacks on crackers. The type of miso you use will change the flavor of
the tofu cheese. Mellow brands of miso such as mellow barley or brown rice
will give the most cheese flavor. Darker brands with give a darker color and
a slightly saltier flavor or stronger tofu cheese.

1 lb. firm style tofu, drained 1-1 1/2 cups organic miso sterile cotton
cheesecloth

Slice to tofu into 4 equal size pieces. Wrap each piece of tofu in 1 layer
of cheese-cloth. Coat all sides, top and bottom of each tofu chunk with a
1/2 inch thick layer of miso. Place the miso-coated tofu chunks in a ceramic
bowl. Cover the bowl with one layer of cheese-cloth to keep dust out. Set
the bowl on a counter and allow to ferment, without refrigeration, for
anywhere from 1-3 days. If your kitchen is warm or you live in a warm
climate it will only take 1 day. If the kitchen or climate is colder it may
take up to 3 days for the tofu to ferment.

When finished, remove the miso-coated cheesecloth from the tofu cake.
Rinse the tofu under cold water. Slice into cubes and use as a garnish. The
miso can be removed from the cheesecloth and saved to be used again, or to
season soups, although it will have a milder flavor, as the tofu absorbs
much of the salt it contains.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "LynneA" > wrote:
>
>> I bloody hell forgot to stop by there! I was told to be at the
>> CPR/AED/First Aid class at 8, got there and they said 9, so I did my
>> running
>> first, and totally spaced out on it. Dammit. Ok, maybe tomorrow!GRRRRR
>>
>> Lynne A, should really eat the leeks and kale first anyway

> Heh! Well, I stopped in this morning to get more Avocados and prices
> were back up. :-( Avocados, 2 for $1.00 and Artichokes, $1.50 each.
>
> I left and went to H.E.B. instead. Avocados were 3 for $1.00 and I
> forgot to look at Artichokes...
>
> I did, however, pick up a 5 lb. plus fryer chicken for $.69 per lb.
> I'm gonna roast that sucker. :-) Probably this weekend.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

No HEB here, sadly. Without going 40 miles my choices are DakotaMart
(waaaay overpriced on almost everything), Safeway (barely edible meat,
overpriced on most other stuff), and Walmart, the spawn of Satan<G> Oh, and
the health food store and Lueder's, which are both expensive but better
quality. Oh hell, basically I really can't afford to eat with the choices
around here!

I may do a chicken this weekend too, if it turns off cool again like they
are threatening.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "LynneA" > wrote:
>
>> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message

>> > Lynne, have you ever made fake cheese from tofu, which is
>> > marinated/covered with miso and let it sit to absorb?
>> >
>> > Dee Dee
>> >

>> No, I haven't seen that one, Dee, do you perchance have a recipe for it?
>> If
>> not, I can get to Googlin'. So far, the best one I've tried has been the
>> Mostarella recipe from The UnCheese Cookbook. I have GOT to get that
>> book.
>> None of it tastes like cheese really, but it's got the same umami goin'
>> on,
>> makes it good anyway. This last try though, was pretty horrid. It
>> mellowed
>> as it cooled into something passable, but certainly not GOOD.
>>
>> Lynne A
>>

> If it won't melt, it's just not the same. :-(
>
> Lynne, can you handle goat cheese perhaps?
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

True, true, but there are some fake cheeses that do get stringy and gooey
like mozz, at least. Hella expensive to make though, and you risk some
duds.

I am going to try the goat cheese if I ever get fully off the cow's cheese.
I'm still discovering the absurd amount of foods that contain whey. No can
do, I can tell if I eat something that does, but that's after the fact.
This is a real PITA, frankly. I even tried some soy yogurt that had milk
starter cultures that broke me out. SOOOOOO, if I can get my choices
narrowed down properly, I will try the goat's cheese. Some people can,
since the molecules are more like human milk, I hear.

Oh, on a totally unrelated note, cause you can appreciate it-I got PT
certified today! W000T!

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "LynneA" > wrote in message

>> No, I haven't seen that one, Dee, do you perchance have a recipe for it?
>> If not, I can get to Googlin'. So far, the best one I've tried has been
>> the Mostarella recipe from The UnCheese Cookbook. I have GOT to get that
>> book. None of it tastes like cheese really, but it's got the same umami
>> goin' on, makes it good anyway. This last try though, was pretty horrid.
>> It mellowed as it cooled into something passable, but certainly not GOOD.
>>
>> Lynne A
>>

> Lynne, I have several cookbooks that it may have been in, but I don't see
> it. But I did have the UnCheese Cookbook at one time, so it may be in
> that if you look a little further.
>
> However, if it isn't, I found this thru google that I would say is
> identical. This has been years ago that I made it, but it was a little
> too costly in my opinion, but it wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure I let it go
> for the full 3 days.
> Dee Dee

http://www.natural-connection.com/ki...ific_tofu.html

> Tofu Cheese

<snip>

Thanks so much for taking the time to find this for me, Dee! I will give it
a go. I just bought a ton of tofu on sale for DD, I'm gonna steal a
block<G> Did you use dark or light miso, do you recall? I have light, but
can get dark if it will taste better.

I don't have the Uncheese Cookbook yet, found the Mostarella recipe floating
around online. It's on my Amazon wishlist though, for the very near future.
I'm looking forward to trying more of the recipes in it.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LynneA > wrote:

> I am going to try the goat cheese if I ever get fully off the
> cow's cheese. I'm still discovering the absurd amount of foods
> that contain whey. No can do, I can tell if I eat something that
> does, but that's after the fact. This is a real PITA, frankly.
> I even tried some soy yogurt that had milk starter cultures
> that broke me out. SOOOOOO, if I can get my choices narrowed
> down properly, I will try the goat's cheese. Some people can,
> since the molecules are more like human milk, I hear.

Some mozzarella cheese is alleged to be lactose-free, if that's
any help. This is true for the buffalo mozzarella made in
Northern California.

>Oh, on a totally unrelated note, cause you can appreciate it-I got PT
>certified today! W000T!

Congratulations!!!

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LynneA" > wrote in message

> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "LynneA" > wrote in message

>>> No, I haven't seen that one, Dee, do you perchance have a recipe for it?
>>> If not, I can get to Googlin'. So far, the best one I've tried has been
>>> the Mostarella recipe from The UnCheese Cookbook. I have GOT to get
>>> that book. None of it tastes like cheese really, but it's got the same
>>> umami goin' on, makes it good anyway. This last try though, was pretty
>>> horrid. It mellowed as it cooled into something passable, but certainly
>>> not GOOD.
>>>
>>> Lynne A
>>>

>> Lynne, I have several cookbooks that it may have been in, but I don't see
>> it. But I did have the UnCheese Cookbook at one time, so it may be in
>> that if you look a little further.
>>
>> However, if it isn't, I found this thru google that I would say is
>> identical. This has been years ago that I made it, but it was a little
>> too costly in my opinion, but it wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure I let it go
>> for the full 3 days.
>> Dee Dee

http://www.natural-connection.com/ki...ific_tofu.html

>> Tofu Cheese

> <snip>
>
> Thanks so much for taking the time to find this for me, Dee! I will give
> it a go. I just bought a ton of tofu on sale for DD, I'm gonna steal a
> block<G> Did you use dark or light miso, do you recall? I have light,
> but can get dark if it will taste better.
>
> I don't have the Uncheese Cookbook yet, found the Mostarella recipe
> floating around online. It's on my Amazon wishlist though, for the very
> near future. I'm looking forward to trying more of the recipes in it.
>
> Lynne A

I can't recall, but I'll bet I used either the medium or dark. I was more
into 'dark' them-thar days.

I recall wondering what I was going to do with all that wasted miso, so I
still wonder what you could do with it, perhaps make soup, but there is just
too much miso there for a bowl of soup.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> No HEB here, sadly. Without going 40 miles my choices are DakotaMart
> (waaaay overpriced on almost everything), Safeway (barely edible meat,
> overpriced on most other stuff), and Walmart, the spawn of Satan<G> Oh, and
> the health food store and Lueder's, which are both expensive but better
> quality. Oh hell, basically I really can't afford to eat with the choices
> around here!

Bummer!

> I may do a chicken this weekend too, if it turns off cool again like they
> are threatening.
>
> Lynne A

I hope it is cooler.
I may actually get some badly needed yard work done. <g>

The driveway is a disgrace. I need to weed-eat it then do a careful
roundup application.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> > Lynne, can you handle goat cheese perhaps?

> True, true, but there are some fake cheeses that do get stringy and gooey
> like mozz, at least. Hella expensive to make though, and you risk some
> duds.

I used to eat Soy Kaas but last time we looked at it here, it still
contained Casein.

> I am going to try the goat cheese if I ever get fully off the cow's cheese.

Goat cheese is quite good! I understand that some people that can't
handle cow dairy are ok with goat but I guess it varies between
individuals.

At least it'd be real cheese. <g>

> I'm still discovering the absurd amount of foods that contain whey. No can
> do, I can tell if I eat something that does, but that's after the fact.
> This is a real PITA, frankly. I even tried some soy yogurt that had milk
> starter cultures that broke me out. SOOOOOO, if I can get my choices
> narrowed down properly, I will try the goat's cheese. Some people can,
> since the molecules are more like human milk, I hear.

Babies that cannot handle regular formulas would die without goats milk.

> Oh, on a totally unrelated note, cause you can appreciate it-I got PT
> certified today! W000T!
>
> Lynne A

Yay!!! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:55:28 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>The driveway is a disgrace. I need to weed-eat it then do a careful
>roundup application.

Try white vinegar. I've read it's an effective herbicide.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:55:28 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>> The driveway is a disgrace. I need to weed-eat it then do a careful
>> roundup application.

> Try white vinegar. I've read it's an effective herbicide.

Vinegar is an herbicide, according to the USDA.

http://ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2002/020515.htm

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:55:28 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >The driveway is a disgrace. I need to weed-eat it then do a careful
> >roundup application.

> Try white vinegar. I've read it's an effective herbicide.

Didn't work.

Tried it a couple of weeks or so ago.

I just weed eated the heck out of it this morning and then raked. I
don't like to use herbicides, but at least it won't take very much and
I'll be able to control it better.

Thanks anyhoo!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:55:28 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The driveway is a disgrace. I need to weed-eat it then do a careful
> >> roundup application.

> > Try white vinegar. I've read it's an effective herbicide.

> Vinegar is an herbicide, according to the USDA.
>
> http://ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2002/020515.htm
>
> Becca

I wish Johnson Grass read the internet. ;-)

Problem with that stuff is that the root system just goes way too deep.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> LynneA > wrote:
>
>> I am going to try the goat cheese if I ever get fully off the
>> cow's cheese. I'm still discovering the absurd amount of foods
>> that contain whey. No can do, I can tell if I eat something that
>> does, but that's after the fact. This is a real PITA, frankly.
>> I even tried some soy yogurt that had milk starter cultures
>> that broke me out. SOOOOOO, if I can get my choices narrowed
>> down properly, I will try the goat's cheese. Some people can,
>> since the molecules are more like human milk, I hear.

> Some mozzarella cheese is alleged to be lactose-free, if that's
> any help. This is true for the buffalo mozzarella made in
> Northern California.
>
>>Oh, on a totally unrelated note, cause you can appreciate it-I got PT
>>certified today! W000T!

> Congratulations!!!
>
> Steve

Thanks, Stever, but I'm allergic, not intolerant, so it's no help for me.
Hopefully I will be able to tolerate the goat's cheese, though.

And thanks for the congrats!

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "LynneA" > wrote in message

>> Thanks so much for taking the time to find this for me, Dee! I will give
>> it a go. I just bought a ton of tofu on sale for DD, I'm gonna steal a
>> block<G> Did you use dark or light miso, do you recall? I have light,
>> but can get dark if it will taste better.
>>
>> I don't have the Uncheese Cookbook yet, found the Mostarella recipe
>> floating around online. It's on my Amazon wishlist though, for the very
>> near future. I'm looking forward to trying more of the recipes in it.
>>
>> Lynne A
>>

> I can't recall, but I'll bet I used either the medium or dark. I was more
> into 'dark' them-thar days.
>
> I recall wondering what I was going to do with all that wasted miso, so I
> still wonder what you could do with it, perhaps make soup, but there is
> just too much miso there for a bowl of soup.
>
> Dee Dee

Thanks, I tried to get some today, but they only had the light. Figgers!
I'll check the Asian market if I go there anytime soon. Yep, I'll use some
of it for miso soup, and I have no idea what with the rest<G> I'll probably
Google for some recipes that use it.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "LynneA" > wrote:
>
>> No HEB here, sadly. Without going 40 miles my choices are DakotaMart
>> (waaaay overpriced on almost everything), Safeway (barely edible meat,
>> overpriced on most other stuff), and Walmart, the spawn of Satan<G> Oh,
>> and
>> the health food store and Lueder's, which are both expensive but better
>> quality. Oh hell, basically I really can't afford to eat with the
>> choices
>> around here!

> Bummer!
>

>> I may do a chicken this weekend too, if it turns off cool again like they
>> are threatening.
>>
>> Lynne A

> I hope it is cooler.
> I may actually get some badly needed yard work done. <g>
>
> The driveway is a disgrace. I need to weed-eat it then do a careful
> roundup application.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Yeah, it really is!LOL Oh well, I intend to eat anydamnway.

I really don't want it to get cool here, I sooooo hate winter. Snow, grey
days that are WAY too short, blech.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "LynneA" > wrote:
>
>> > Lynne, can you handle goat cheese perhaps?

>> True, true, but there are some fake cheeses that do get stringy and gooey
>> like mozz, at least. Hella expensive to make though, and you risk some
>> duds.

> I used to eat Soy Kaas but last time we looked at it here, it still
> contained Casein.
>

>> I am going to try the goat cheese if I ever get fully off the cow's
>> cheese.

> Goat cheese is quite good! I understand that some people that can't
> handle cow dairy are ok with goat but I guess it varies between
> individuals.
>
> At least it'd be real cheese. <g>
>
>> I'm still discovering the absurd amount of foods that contain whey. No
>> can
>> do, I can tell if I eat something that does, but that's after the fact.
>> This is a real PITA, frankly. I even tried some soy yogurt that had milk
>> starter cultures that broke me out. SOOOOOO, if I can get my choices
>> narrowed down properly, I will try the goat's cheese. Some people can,
>> since the molecules are more like human milk, I hear.

> Babies that cannot handle regular formulas would die without goats milk.
>

>> Oh, on a totally unrelated note, cause you can appreciate it-I got PT
>> certified today! W000T!
>>
>> Lynne A

> Yay!!! :-)
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Yeah, I really don't get the whole soy cheese with dairy in it thang.
Vegans and the allergic won't touch it, and vegetarians get to eat the real
deal. So who do they make it for??

I've heard that goat's cheese is pretty good, so I'm really hoping I can eat
it. The local health food store has goat milk smoked cheddar that I MUST
try.

LOL, yay is an understatement, it's been such a nightmare around here since
right after I signed up for the course, I BARELY got it done in time.
WHEW!

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:55:28 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >The driveway is a disgrace. I need to weed-eat it then do a careful
>> >roundup application.

>> Try white vinegar. I've read it's an effective herbicide.

> Didn't work.
>
> Tried it a couple of weeks or so ago.
>
> I just weed eated the heck out of it this morning and then raked. I
> don't like to use herbicides, but at least it won't take very much and
> I'll be able to control it better.
>
> Thanks anyhoo!
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Speaking of which, any idea of what might kill wild roses? I don't think
even a flamethrower would! They would be so pretty if they weren't trying
to take over the world, one yard at a time.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> I've heard that goat's cheese is pretty good, so I'm really hoping I can eat
> it. The local health food store has goat milk smoked cheddar that I MUST
> try.

Be sure to report please? :-)
I'm hoping that will solve your problem.

Goat cheese is good.

> LOL, yay is an understatement, it's been such a nightmare around here since
> right after I signed up for the course, I BARELY got it done in time.
> WHEW!
>
> Lynne A

Heh! Another hurdle to put behind you...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"LynneA" > wrote:

> Speaking of which, any idea of what might kill wild roses? I don't think
> even a flamethrower would! They would be so pretty if they weren't trying
> to take over the world, one yard at a time.
>
> Lynne A

Call a local nursery.

They might be happy to dig them up for you!

Most of those are worth $$$ especially if they are an heirloom variety.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

my artichokes Gill Smith General Cooking 25 26-01-2011 05:57 PM
Artichokes Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 22-06-2010 05:34 AM
Artichokes serene General Cooking 38 16-01-2007 06:02 PM
Artichokes Debbie General Cooking 13 03-07-2005 05:16 AM
Artichokes.. archergirl General Cooking 23 12-02-2005 06:44 PM