Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Default Ambrosia

Im looking for a recipe fpr ambrosia that has pineapple.My ex-mother in
law used to make it that way...also is there a low fat version?Any help
would be appreciated...
Smit

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J S wrote:
> Im looking for a recipe fpr ambrosia that has pineapple.My ex-mother in
> law used to make it that way...also is there a low fat version?Any help
> would be appreciated...
> Smit
>
> "Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Ambrosia is traditionally just oranges and coconut, so if your momma
used pineapple she didn't worry about tradition and you can pretty well
make anything up to suit yourselves. Try orange segments, pineapple,
coconut and a little sweetener. Some folks put cream (whipped, or sour
or just heavy...lowest on the food chain would be the use of "cool whip"
which may be what you personally want?) in these type things so you have
plenty of room to experiment. Most ghastly (IMO) is the addition of
marshmallows, but if your momma included them that's what you'll want to
add those too.
You don't really need a "recipe" as much as the courage to toss a few
things together and try to recreate what your own momma made?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ghastly"??? I like your passion - I also like marshmallows in
ambrosia. Stuffing from a store-mix on Thanksgiving is ghastly.
J.S. - the ambrosia I loved as a kid had coconut, pineapple,
tangerines, sour cream and cool whip. But I can never seem to
replicate it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 1:12?am, mom0f4boys > wrote:
> "Ghastly"??? I like your passion - I also like marshmallows in
> ambrosia. Stuffing from a store-mix on Thanksgiving is ghastly.
> J.S. - the ambrosia I loved as a kid had coconut, pineapple,
> tangerines, sour cream and cool whip. But I can never seem to
> replicate it.

Add canned fruit cocktail too. There is no exact recipe for Ambrosia

ambrosia [am-BROH-zhah]
1. According to Greek mythology, ambrosia (meaning "immortality") was
the food of the gods on Mt. Olympus. More recently, the word
designates a dessert of chilled fruit (usually oranges and bananas)
mixed with coconut. Ambrosia is also sometimes served as a salad.
2. A mixed drink made by shaking COGNAC, BRANDY (usually CALVADOS or
APPLEJACK) and, depending on the bartender, COINTREAU or raspberry
syrup with crushed ice. The shaken mixture is strained into a glass
and topped off with cold CHAMPAGNE. It's said to have been created at
New Orleans' famous Arnaud's restaurant shortly after Prohibition
ended.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Old South Ambrosia
Mary Moss Darden

1 fresh coconut
1 can crushed pineapple, with juice
2 apples, chopped
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely broken
5 oranges
1 can fruit cocktail, with juice
2 bananas, sliced
sugar to taste
cherries for garnish Grate coconut in bowl. Add peeled and sectioned
oranges; discard membrane and seeds. Add pineapple, fruit cocktail,
apples, bananas, and nuts. Sweeten with sugar, being careful not to
add too much as the syrup from the fruit is usually sufficient. Chill
before serving. This dessert is pretty garnished with cherries and
served in a crystal bowl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 27, 10:29 pm, (J S) wrote:
> Im looking for a recipe fpr ambrosia that has pineapple.My ex-mother in
> law used to make it that way...also is there a low fat version?Any help
> would be appreciated...
> Smit

This is from a friend who enjoys it. It's alright in small doses.

1- 7oz package of shredded coconut (add more if you like)
3-4 small cans of mandarin oranges
1 pkg - mini marshmallows
1 pint sour cream
1 Lg can crushed pineapple, well drained

Mix together and refrigerate for at least an hour so the marshmallows
will desolve a bit.

Add or decorate with
1 Sm jar of maraschino cherries, well drained and dried.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Thanks so much for all the variations and recipes...guess anything
goes.I,ll give them all a try and experiment...Sheldon-thats the first
Ive heard of without any kind of whipped cream,great rearch!Thanks
Cheers,Smitty

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 9:23 pm, (J S) wrote:
> Thanks so much for all the variations and recipes...guess anything
> goes.I,ll give them all a try and experiment...Sheldon-thats the first
> Ive heard of without any kind of whipped cream,great rearch!Thanks
> Cheers,Smitty

Here's a recipe from my wife's aunt (circa 1950's):

24 Hour Fruit Salad

Large Cool Whip 3 Beaten Eggs Yolks
2 Cups Mandarin Oranges 2 Tblspns Sugar
2 Cups Seedless Grapes 2 Tblspns White Vinegar
2 Cups Sliced Bananas 2 Tblspns Pineapple Juice
2 Cups Mini-marshmallows 1 Tblspn Butter
Marchino Cherries (optional) Dash of Salt
Walnuts or Almonds (optional)

In a double boiler, combine 3 beaten egg yolks, 2 tblspns sugar, 2
tblspns white vinegar, 2 tblspns pineapple juice, 1 tblspn butter and
a dash of salt. Stir constantly over high heat until the mixture
thickens. Cool mixture. Pour over fruit, except bananas. Fold in
Cool Whip and chill for 24 hours.

Before serving stir well and add bananas. It may be necessary at this
time to add a little more Cool Whip.

You could certinly add coconut & pineapple, but what maks this recipe
so good, in my opinion, is the addition of the Waldorf(ish) dressing.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > Here's a recipe from my wife's aunt (circa 1950's):
> >
> > 24 Hour Fruit Salad
> >
> > Large Cool Whip

> Did they have Cool Whip in the fifties??

The Kraft FAQ says it was inroduced in 1967. This URL may wrap in nasty
fashion.

<
http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=co.../faqview&faq_q
uestion_id=343&N>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 12:03 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Here's a recipe from my wife's aunt (circa 1950's):

> > 24 Hour Fruit Salad

> > Large Cool Whip

> Did they have Cool Whip in the fifties??

My guess would be, it was originally "whipped cream".

Steve

Ambrosia Salad Stacey Serio Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2006 02:45 AM
Southern Ambrosia Mom2Sam Tiny Recipes (moderated) 0 25-10-2006 04:09 PM
Ambrosia batter Tim Recipes 0 22-12-2005 11:15 AM
Ambrosia Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-05-2005 02:28 AM
Ambrosia a la Hugh [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2003 03:36 PM