Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BAKED (?) CHICKEN

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
>> [snip]
>>> [Steve] also believes that as people wander around a
>>> public market, they're taking names and phone numbers
>>> of merchants they deal with [..]
>>>

>> You _don't_ take the names and numbers of merchants
>> you deal with to continue doing business with? You're
>> a bigger fool than you are idiot.
>>

> You've just explained that you don't know what goes
> on at one particular public market.

Hmm. That's some creative license you've just employed.

> I've been patronizing the same merchants for several years.
> They're always in the same place on the same day. Why
> the **** would I want their phone numbers?

There are lots of reasons to get names and numbers.

If/When they don't show up one week, and you're hoping for a
particular item, you can call or write to them to see if they're
still offering said item? To simply call or write to the
farm/ranch of said merchant when wanting a particular item in
volume? To assist with directions if you're planning to visit said
merchant at the farm/ranch? To tell all your associates about the
stunning experience you've received with said merchant and help
spread the word? To prove to the "cranks" of the world that you
aren't full of shit? (Oh. Wait. Never mind. That last isn't
possible.)

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>>> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
>>> [snip]
>>>>
>>> You _don't_ take the names and numbers of merchants
>>> you deal with to continue doing business with? You're
>>> a bigger fool than you are idiot.
>>>

>> You've just explained that you don't know what goes
>> on at one particular public market.

> Hmm. That's some creative license you've just employed.
>
>> I've been patronizing the same merchants for several years. They're
>> always in the same place on the same day. Why
>> the **** would I want their phone numbers?

> There are lots of reasons to get names and numbers.
>
> If/When they don't show up one week, and you're hoping for a particular
> item, you can call or write to them to see if they're still offering said
> item? To simply call or write to the farm/ranch of said merchant when
> wanting a particular item in volume? To assist with directions if you're
> planning to visit said merchant at the farm/ranch? To tell all your
> associates about the stunning experience you've received with said
> merchant and help spread the word? To prove to the "cranks" of the world
> that you aren't full of shit? (Oh. Wait. Never mind. That last isn't
> possible.)
>
> The Ranger

Oh fer chrissake....

Wait..I understand: All knowledge not on the web does not actually exist.
You've been hypnotized, ranger. Snap out of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J S wrote:

> BAKED (?) CHICKEN
>
> <I wish I s=could buy a whole chicken, every day, for $.90. On sale
> they're $.59/lb. I don't care where you live - they're not $.29/lb.>
> -sw
>
> So do I.Im in St,Pete,Fl and occasionally Winn Dixie sells 10 lb bags
> of parts for 39 a lb but theyre really fatty. A whole chicken runs
> about $4.50.

I checked the lo-cal ads here, and the cheapest advertised price for
whole chickens was $.49/lb, limit 2, $25 purchase. This was at an
independent grocer in the city (Saveway). I think, but couldn't swear,
that this is their standard deal.

My usual supermarket sells them for $1.09, regular price, I believe.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
[snip]
> Oh fer chrissake....

NOW you understand...

> Wait..I understand: All knowledge not on the web
> does not actually exist. You've been hypnotized,
> ranger. Snap out of it.

Congratulations: You've successfully prevented any type of
C-O-M-P-R-E-H-E-N-S-I-O-N from sinking in.

Simple task: Provide the names and numbers of those other two
"specialty meat" merchants at the "open market" and it's easy
enough to verify what you're professing to be The TRVTH (for
Rochester). Otherwise, you'll be called just what you a The
North End of A South Bound Mule.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
> [snip]
>> Oh fer chrissake....

> NOW you understand...
>
>> Wait..I understand: All knowledge not on the web
>> does not actually exist. You've been hypnotized,
>> ranger. Snap out of it.

> Congratulations: You've successfully prevented any type of
> C-O-M-P-R-E-H-E-N-S-I-O-N from sinking in.
>
> Simple task: Provide the names and numbers of those other two "specialty
> meat" merchants at the "open market" and it's easy enough to verify what
> you're professing to be The TRVTH (for Rochester). Otherwise, you'll be
> called just what you a The North End of A South Bound Mule.
>
> The Ranger

Perhaps the public market's site contains the names of the permanent
vendors, if you have the time to dig for the information. I don't. You
should stop by sometime and learn what this venue is all about.
http://www.cityofrochester.gov/PRHS/...rket/index.cfm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan <intrceptor@gmaildotcom> wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> You've already been proven you're full of shit. I'm just wondering if
> >> you're going to continue rolling around in it, too.
> >>
> >> The Ranger
> >>

> > I asked about the phone because I get the feeling it doesn't matter what
> > information I give you. You won't check thoroughly or correctly.
> >

> Are you an asshole on EVERY group you haunt, Doug?

Yes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:56:57 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:

> >> <chuckle> How ironic.

> >Not really. You're very much like Omaload. You can stop, though. There are
> >programs available....
> >

> frankly, i think steve is getting the better of you here. he says put
> up or shut up and you're doing neither.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Steve is good at that, but Joe generally is not much of a Challenge. ;-)

JSB is not as bright as Jerry Sauk over on a.f.f-f. after all.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
[snip]
> if you have the time to dig for the information. I don't.

[snip]

You have enough time to respond to every article posted since last
night in this thread (and then some) but not enough time to
provide those two specific names seems... simply unbelievable.

Yep; you're full of shit.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
> [snip]
>> if you have the time to dig for the information. I don't.

> [snip]
>
> You have enough time to respond to every article posted since last night
> in this thread (and then some) but not enough time to provide those two
> specific names seems... simply unbelievable.
>
> Yep; you're full of shit.
>
> The Ranger

ROFL! Get a hobby. Please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Instead of buying my chicken already done I prefer to cook it on my own.
First, I would clean my chicken well then I would marinade it over night
add just a little seasoning: put in a brown paper sack to keep the
juices in flavor in . Next, I would wrap it in foil put it in the oven
on 375 for about two hours and firthteen min. That what you call good
fresh baked chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "The Ranger" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young > wrote

>>> Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I wanted that much chicken, I
>>> would vastly prefer to roast 2 small chickens than one of those
>>> oven stuffer types. I find those large ones to be far less flavorful.
>>> Way less.

>> Economies of scale. I can feed my bulk-consuming teenangsters more
>> quickly with less cost and effort using the larger "turkey-sized"
>> roasters. I honestly don't know if "taste" enters into the picture
>> nowadays with any of them... It's all about filling the hollow legs...

> I understand why people would buy them, and I have in the past.
> The smaller birds are tastier and moister compared to those
> roasters who have been raised I-don't-know-how to get that
> large. And those things aren't cheap, either! I was surprised
> last time I looked. That's really neither here nor there, I think,
> because the original discussion was about those rotisserie store
> cooked chickens that, in my experience, are always small birds.
>
> The small birds I can find under $5 routinely.
>
> nancy

The small birds cook quicker, but I like the flavor of the bigger chickens.
It's just too much meat for us two. I'm a little worried at the storebought
chickens. Who knows how long they've been sitting in the warm?
Edrena, who's got stock making now from last nite's carcass. Lots of whole
garlic for the health benefit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> She never claimed that they were sold that way everywhere - just
> in her experience and where she shops.

The discussion concerned people removing parts of
food before paying for it, someone joked about peeling
oranges and she said oranges are sold by the piece.
Not just where she lives.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:02:40 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
> > How can you provide a cite for something that doesn't exist on the web?
> > This
> > is a sincere question. Tell me.

> These markets have names. If you were so familiar with their
> prices, then you should know their names. And no, not just the
> farmers market vendors - there are other markets out there
> according to your original claim that sell chickens for $.29/lb
> "all day long".
>
> > Example: A few weeks back, Omaload claimed that oranges were sold per
> > piece,
> > never by the pound. Others told her that where THEY lived and shopped, some
> > oranges were sold by the pound. No cites were possible, for reasons obvious
> > to anyone with a brain. But, as far as Omaload was concerned, without
> > cites,
> > she was correct, not just about her supermarket in Texas, but about all
> > stores everywhere on earth.

> She never claimed that they were sold that way everywhere - just
> in her experience and where she shops. And since I live in the
> same general area, I looked at several stores and did indeed see
> oranges and grapefruits selling per piece rather than by the
> pound - and I was even one of the ones that originally
> contradicted her! Not only did I verify her statement was true,
> but I also admitted I was wrong.
>
> -sw

Joe is incapable of that.
It shows his level of maturity...

Hey, were you able to hit that awesome sale at Sun Harvest last weekend?
Was not sure if you were able to go.

They had those vine tomatoes you were interested in trying for $.97 per
lb.

And strip steaks for $3.97. ;-d

Hope you are healing up ok!

H.E.B. in San Marcos had some lovely Rib Eyes in family packs for $4.97
this morning, but I'm running a bit short on $$$ right now. Too bad.
some of them were beautifully marbled. <sigh>

Might want to check locally where you are in Austin if you are feeling
up to it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

> Joe is incapable of that.
> It shows his level of maturity...

You're just bothered when someone calls you on your inane blanket
statements, like your fiasco with the oranges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
> [..] Get a hobby. Please.

Got several already. Poking you is just a sideline gig.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote in message
[snip]
> You're just bothered when someone calls you
> on your inane blanket statements [..]

It's better than you, by a long shot, since you're oblivious to
being called on your inane (and insane) posts.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Braised turkey parts (was BAKED (?) CHICKEN)

In article >,
(J S) wrote:

> > They had some marked down Turkey legs and wings for $.79 which is rare
> > this time of year. I've got 3 legs and 2 cut up wings braising right now
> > in the CI Dutch oven with Carrots, Onions and a bit of diced tomato with
> > lemon pepper, garlic and some Italian spices.
> > Smells wonderful. ;-d>

> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Sounds yummy,never made them that way,will try it thanks...Love those
> turkey legs...wish thanksgiving were year round
>
> Smit-

Pan cooked, sometimes turkey is a bit tough for the "parts", altho' I
have grilled disjointed wings and drumsticks. They come out well that
way slow cooked.

Dutch oven braising is like doing potroast. One pan meal, walk away
after prep. <g> Busy or lazy person cooking.

I put a little olive oil in the pot, layered the turkey on top of that
then sprinkled it with salt free lemon pepper and the Italian herbs,
dumped the layer of baby carrots on top of that, layered the sliced
onion over that and sprinkled liberally with garlic powder. Alternately,
you could put fresh minced garlic over that.

Final layer was a can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of water.

Put on the lid, turn on high for 10 minutes, turn to low and time for
one hour. Turn off heat and let it sit on the hot burner for about
another 30 minutes.

I then take the meat out with a pair of tongs, pour off some of the
excess broth and dump the veggies in a separate bowl.

Put broth back into pot to reduce and add thickener if you want to make
a gravy/sauce.

I did not bother this time. Dad snitched the 2 cups of turkey vegetable
broth and drank it as is. <g> I was not going to begrudge it to him!
It's good stuff.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sammy wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>

>> I much prefer cornish game hens, which are, after all, small chickens
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Is this a "Jillism"?

WTF is your problem? Look up Cornish Game Hens. I assume your mommy lets
you use the computer so surely you can use Google to find out that game hens
are chickens. ASSHOLE.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Sammy wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >

> >> I much prefer cornish game hens, which are, after all, small chickens
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Is this a "Jillism"?

> WTF is your problem? Look up Cornish Game Hens. I assume your mommy lets
> you use the computer so surely you can use Google to find out that game hens
> are chickens. ASSHOLE.

Mmmm... Cornish game hens are some of the most toothsome chickens out
there. :-)

Looky here for some grilled spatched ones I did for a dinner party:

9SeasonedHens.jpg
http://tinypic.com/35d3thl.jpg

14CornishHensPlated.jpg
http://tinypic.com/48qvjvl.jpg

I LOVE Cornish Game Hens!
I'm with Jill on that one and yes, they are just small chickens.
A different breed than the usual fryers, and all the better for it!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. > wrote:

>If you do the chicken at a low temperature, you do
>render the juices (not fat) out of the bird. If you do the bird at 450-500,
>the juices are retained and the bird is moist and tasty.

I agree with this observation.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://homecooking.about.com/od/food...henhistory.htm

> I assume your mommy lets
> you use the computer so surely you can use Google to find out that game
> hens
> are chickens.

Maybe your daddy will let you use some source other than wikipedia? Maybe
he'll look it up for you?
LOL......I forgot. You hate your dad and wish him dead so you can get his
medals.

> ASSHOLE.

Did you forget to wipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:14:46 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>>> She never claimed that they were sold that way everywhere - just
>>> in her experience and where she shops.

>> The discussion concerned people removing parts of
>> food before paying for it, someone joked about peeling
>> oranges and she said oranges are sold by the piece.
>> Not just where she lives.

> She didn't specifically say they are sold that way everywhere.
> I, of course, read the implicit "where she shops" since we assume
> when people make these comments, they are referring to where they
> locally shop. Since I have lived and shopped many places/states,
> I have to specifically point out that I'm referring to something
> other than my default location when I am doing so. As others do.

She wasn't talking about where she shops, she was talking about
orange peeling not being relevant to the discussion because they are
sold by the piece.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:14:46 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>>> She never claimed that they were sold that way everywhere - just
>>> in her experience and where she shops.

>> The discussion concerned people removing parts of
>> food before paying for it, someone joked about peeling
>> oranges and she said oranges are sold by the piece.
>> Not just where she lives.

> She didn't specifically say they are sold that way everywhere.
> I, of course, read the implicit "where she shops" since we assume
> when people make these comments, they are referring to where they
> locally shop. Since I have lived and shopped many places/states,
> I have to specifically point out that I'm referring to something
> other than my default location when I am doing so. As others do.
>
> -sw

She sure did post a lot of messages arguing the point about how oranges are
sold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:21:26 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Hey, were you able to hit that awesome sale at Sun Harvest last weekend?
> > Was not sure if you were able to go.

> I haven't left the house for going on 12 days now.
>
> -sw

I'll take this to private e-mail in the morning.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo wrote:

> --Bryan, posting through a REAL news server!

Are you going to behave like a civilized person under this ID, or
should I plonk you now?

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses > wrote:

>The small birds cook quicker, but I like the flavor of the bigger chickens.
>It's just too much meat for us two. I'm a little worried at the storebought
>chickens. Who knows how long they've been sitting in the warm?

In Italy, store-bought roast chickens are wood-fired and you wait
for them to come out of the oven. A few may stay on the rack
for a few minutes but not for long.

By comparison, a typical U.S. store-bought roast chicken is
pretty pathetic.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:25:07 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> She didn't specifically say they are sold that way everywhere.
>>> I, of course, read the implicit "where she shops" since we assume
>>> when people make these comments, they are referring to where they
>>> locally shop. Since I have lived and shopped many places/states,
>>> I have to specifically point out that I'm referring to something
>>> other than my default location when I am doing so. As others do.

>> She wasn't talking about where she shops, she was talking about
>> orange peeling not being relevant to the discussion because they are
>> sold by the piece.

> OK. So how does that back up your statement that claimed she
> said they were sold that way *everywhere* -

Because she was correcting people who lived elsewhere.

People who do not shop where she does.

> which is what I was
> contradicting. I was also contradicting Joe/Doug in that she
> could provide no cites for her information as one of those cites
> was myself. Nothing I have said has had anything to do with
> peeling oranges - just the fact that oranges are sold by the
> piece locally. And she was right.

I think they are probably sold both ways in the vast majority of
supermarkets. By the pound (in a bag) or by the piece (loose).
She is the one who said they were sold by the piece. I don't know
how you turned it around.

Regardless, it's a subject that should have stayed dead.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:25:07 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> She didn't specifically say they are sold that way everywhere.
>>> I, of course, read the implicit "where she shops" since we assume
>>> when people make these comments, they are referring to where they
>>> locally shop. Since I have lived and shopped many places/states,
>>> I have to specifically point out that I'm referring to something
>>> other than my default location when I am doing so. As others do.

>> She wasn't talking about where she shops, she was talking about
>> orange peeling not being relevant to the discussion because they are
>> sold by the piece.

> OK. So how does that back up your statement that claimed she
> said they were sold that way *everywhere* - which is what I was
> contradicting. I was also contradicting Joe/Doug in that she
> could provide no cites for her information as one of those cites
> was myself. Nothing I have said has had anything to do with
> peeling oranges - just the fact that oranges are sold by the
> piece locally. And she was right.
>
> -sw

Right where she lives. Someone (might've been Janet) taught Omaload that she
sometimes buys them by the pound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:28:30 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> She sure did post a lot of messages arguing the point about how oranges
>> are
>> sold.

> As you have trying to claim to chicken is regularly sold for
> $.29/lb in your area. How is that any different? It seems
> you're in the same boat as Om on these respective arguments. Yet
> somehow she's to blame for her actions and you're not?
>
> Nice try and diverting the discussion but it's kinda backfiring
> on you.
>
> -sw

We went as far as we could with the chicken issue. I taught you that you
could visit the Rochester Public Market. You chose not to learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "JoeSpareBedroom" > said:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> Place small herbed potatoes around the chicken and the grease won't
> >> spatter and you'll have potatoes with dinner.

> > I wouldn't avoid using my oven at 500 degrees just to avoid a bit of
> > splatter (isn't that what an oven, particularly a self cleaning one is
> > for??) if the only alternative was to slowly cook it to a pale death at a
> > measly 300 degrees. Would the skin even crisp up or brown at such a low
> > temp?
> >
> > The potato idea is an excellent idea and you get some tasty potatoes at
> > the end too!

> I'm wondering if there's something in between 300 and 500 degrees. Anyone
> care to enlighten us?

Sarcasm noted. I roast my chickens in a covered roasting pan
at 375 degrees F. from start to finish. It takes about 1 hour to
1 1/2 hours (depending on the size of chicken), and the skin is
nice and crunchy...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:01 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>>> OK. So how does that back up your statement that claimed she
>>> said they were sold that way *everywhere* -

>> Because she was correcting people who lived elsewhere.

> OK. I'm not going to look up the exact wording but I can see how
> that is probable and interpreted as claiming an area other thanm
> your own.
>
>> I think they are probably sold both ways in the vast majority of
>> supermarkets. By the pound (in a bag) or by the piece (loose).
>> She is the one who said they were sold by the piece. I don't know
>> how you turned it around.

> I went to the same supermarket chain where she shops and saw them
> being sold both ways.

Yes, and that is what people were trying to tell her.

>> Regardless, it's a subject that should have stayed dead.

> Indeed. Today's flame war is chickens. How much are whole
> chickens per pound where you shop? Ever bought chicken in
> Rochester, NY? :-)

Heh, I'm not good with watching for prices, I just buy a chicken
when I want one, but I get the size they have rotisseried and it was
always under 5 bucks. $4.89, like that. Before all the screaming
that really was the point.

Now I buy chickens that are almost twice that, those are the
fancier, organic/whatever chickens. Still the same small size.
I just checked the circular online and a rotisseried chicken is
$6.99.

Thoroughly confused yet? When all is said and done, I would prefer
to buy a little 5 pound bird at 99, 79 cents a pound and cook it myself,
over buying one already cooked.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Bob" > said:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> > "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:07:04 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

> >> because it sounds like the kind of tripe you spout.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > Nah...you've never seen me make racially obnoxious remarks. If you
> > disagree, prove it.

> And I quote...
>
> "Maybe, except for one thing: He's living in a fantasy world in which every
> bit of knowledge and experience can be pointed to with a web link. He also
> believes that as people wander around a public market, they're taking names
> and phone numbers of merchants they deal with, just in case some crank in a
> newsgroup pretends to need more information."
>
> You won't prove anything that you type, but you expect others to prove what
> they type. Hypocrisy?

I think "trolling" is more accurate, and Joe/Doug/Whatever has been
doing it here for a long time. He'll never back up his own statements
and unlike Jill, he won't admit that he could have exaggerated either.
It's a big game to see who'll respond to him. I don't get why people
play it, but to each their own, I guess...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>
> > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:01 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >>"Sqwertz" > wrote

> > > Because she was correcting people who lived elsewhere.

> > OK. I'm not going to look up the exact wording but I can see how
> > that is probable and interpreted as claiming an area other thanm
> > your own.
> >
> > > I think they are probably sold both ways in the vast majority of
> > > supermarkets. By the pound (in a bag) or by the piece (loose).
> > > She is the one who said they were sold by the piece. I don't know
> > > how you turned it around.

> > I went to the same supermarket chain where she shops and saw them
> > being sold both ways.

> Yes, and that is what people were trying to tell her.

Wasn't it more like loose by the piece or X-pound bags? That's
debatable as to whether they're actually sold by the pound. You can't
go in and buy a pound of oranges.

If I'm misremembering (and I'm too lazed to look) then "never mind".

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Yes, and that is what people were trying to tell her.

> Wasn't it more like loose by the piece or X-pound bags? That's
> debatable as to whether they're actually sold by the pound. You can't
> go in and buy a pound of oranges.

When I say By the pound, I mean By weight. With oranges
it would more likely be a 5 pound bag, something like that.

I know Om is getting really irritated with me by now, sorry Om.
We know we can (mostly) all find oranges sold two ways, that
wasn't the discussion.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:25:07 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> "Sqwertz" > wrote

>>> She wasn't talking about where she shops, she was talking about
>>> orange peeling not being relevant to the discussion because they are
>>> sold by the piece.

>> OK. So how does that back up your statement that claimed she
>> said they were sold that way *everywhere* - which is what I was
>> contradicting. I was also contradicting Joe/Doug in that she
>> could provide no cites for her information as one of those cites
>> was myself. Nothing I have said has had anything to do with
>> peeling oranges - just the fact that oranges are sold by the
>> piece locally. And she was right.
>>
>> -sw

> Right where she lives. Someone (might've been Janet) taught Omaload that
> she sometimes buys them by the pound.

I confess, I said it. Around Christmas time we will see oranges, grapefruit
by the bag or the piece. I'm assuming that is when the harvest is coming to
market.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> > > Yes, and that is what people were trying to tell her.

> > Wasn't it more like loose by the piece or X-pound bags? That's
> > debatable as to whether they're actually sold by the pound. You
> > can't go in and buy a pound of oranges.

> When I say By the pound, I mean By weight. With oranges
> it would more likely be a 5 pound bag, something like that.

I'm probably not remembering the conversation correctly. I didn't think
there were cases where loose oranges were sold by either weight or
piece in the same area.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> When I say By the pound, I mean By weight.

Ok, stepping back, slowly.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." wrote:

> > Right where she lives. Someone (might've been Janet) taught Omaload that
> > she sometimes buys them by the pound.

> I confess, I said it. Around Christmas time we will see oranges, grapefruit
> by the bag or the piece. I'm assuming that is when the harvest is coming to
> market.

They are most commonly sold by the pound here. Lemons and limes are usually
sold by the piece, ranging form 2-5 for $1. Tangerines are usually sold by
the case.