Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default We're rich!

One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
tomatoes. I don't see how that's possible. And I have New York Times
bread almost ready to go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost
interest in my planned dinner. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes,
salt. That about does it, huh?

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." [Mark Twain]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl full of
> tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many tomatoes. I don't
> see how that's possible. And I have New York Times bread almost ready to
> go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost interest in my planned dinner.
> Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes, salt. That about does it, huh?
>
> Serene

Or you could make my favroite thing about Italy in summer-- Ligurian tomato
salad. Cube the tomatoes, finely mince some garlic, chiffonade generous
basil, salt well, pour great oil all over and mic. Cover with a clean towel
and let it marinate for a couple of hours at room temperature. Bread is
essential for the incredible juices. Keep in fridge, but do not marinate in
the fridge.

--
Food and fashion
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
> full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
> tomatoes. I don't see how that's possible. And I have New York Times
> bread almost ready to go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost
> interest in my planned dinner. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes,
> salt. That about does it, huh?
>
> Serene

I'm jealous. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl full of
> > tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many tomatoes. I don't
> > see how that's possible. And I have New York Times bread almost ready to
> > go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost interest in my planned dinner.
> > Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes, salt. That about does it, huh?
> >
> > Serene

> Or you could make my favroite thing about Italy in summer-- Ligurian tomato
> salad. Cube the tomatoes, finely mince some garlic, chiffonade generous
> basil, salt well, pour great oil all over and mic. Cover with a clean towel
> and let it marinate for a couple of hours at room temperature. Bread is
> essential for the incredible juices. Keep in fridge, but do not marinate in
> the fridge.

Then there is Insalata Caprice...

If you have access to fresh Basil.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"Serene" > wrote in message
>. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes, salt. That about does it, huh?
>
> Serene

Works for me this time of year.

Last night's dinner was tomato sandwiches. Slices of fresh bread I baked in
the morning, a smear of mayonaise and a layer each of sun-warm tomato
slices, sweet onion, sharp cheddar and fresh basil leaves plucked from my
herb garden. Just a little salt and pepper and some bread & butter pickle
slices and I'm good.

MJB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:42:45 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
>full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
>tomatoes. I don't see how that's possible. And I have New York Times
>bread almost ready to go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost
>interest in my planned dinner. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes,
>salt. That about does it, huh?

Well if you have leftovers, you could make panzanella. I had THE MOST
DELICIOUS panzanella at an Italian restaurant in North Beach (San
Francisco) yesterday. The melanzane appetizer was pretty good too,
the pasta dishes were ok (mine suffered from an overabundance of
salt), but the panzanella was out of this world. The restaurant is
called Caffe Macaroni Sciue Sciue (sorry, can't do the accent marks)
on Columbus. It's Neapolitan. I would go back for the panzanella
alone, at least at this time of year!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
>full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
>tomatoes. I don't see how that's possible. And I have New York Times
>bread almost ready to go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost
>interest in my planned dinner. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes,
>salt. That about does it, huh?

You ARE rich! Hope you enjoyed your new dinner!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 10:43:11 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>Or you could make my favroite thing about Italy in summer-- Ligurian tomato
>salad. Cube the tomatoes, finely mince some garlic, chiffonade generous
>basil, salt well, pour great oil all over and mic. Cover with a clean towel
>and let it marinate for a couple of hours at room temperature. Bread is
>essential for the incredible juices. Keep in fridge, but do not marinate in
>the fridge.

Sounds delicious and a great summer salad for tomato lovers.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 8:42 pm, Serene > wrote:
> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
> full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
> tomatoes.

Ah...better than bags of gold. I'd use them for a fresh tomato pie,
layered with cheese etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:48:40 -0700, val189 >
wrote:

>On Sep 2, 8:42 pm, Serene > wrote:
>> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
>> full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
>> tomatoes.

>Ah...better than bags of gold.

I could debate that point, but they certainly are tastier!

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
val189 > wrote:

> On Sep 2, 8:42 pm, Serene > wrote:
> > One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
> > full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
> > tomatoes.

> Ah...better than bags of gold. I'd use them for a fresh tomato pie,
> layered with cheese etc.

Mmm... Pizza made with fresh tomatoes and herbs in place of a cooked
sauce is the gods.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:48:40 -0700, val189 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sep 2, 8:42 pm, Serene > wrote:
> >> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
> >> full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
> >> tomatoes.

> >Ah...better than bags of gold.

> I could debate that point, but they certainly are tastier!

Think of the garden you could afford to grow if someone gave you a bag
of gold. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

http://i14.tinypic.com/4ti5f7q.jpg

> Grape Tomatoes whole:
> http://i16.tinypic.com/61tczu9.jpg
>
> Grape Tomatoes peeled:
> http://i16.tinypic.com/63wb6le.jpg
>
> Ravioli Feast Plated:
> http://i14.tinypic.com/538o7zd.jpg
>
> Lobster stuffed raviolis sound a lot more interesting tho'. <G>
>
> Recipe please?

I don't have the recipe, Costantino's Venda Ravioli is less than a half
mile from my doorstep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> > Lobster stuffed raviolis sound a lot more interesting tho'. <G>
> >
> > Recipe please?
> >

> I don't have the recipe, Costantino's Venda Ravioli is less than a half
> mile from my doorstep.

Ok, so we both cheat! <g>

One of these days I'd like to try making a shrimp ravioli.

I've not made them from scratch in a long time, but we do have a pasta
roller buried somewhere in the depths of the pantry.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
> full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
> tomatoes. I don't see how that's possible. And I have New York Times
> bread almost ready to go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost
> interest in my planned dinner. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes,
> salt. That about does it, huh?

Sounds like caprese time.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 7:42 pm, Serene > wrote:
> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
> full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
> tomatoes. I don't see how that's possible. And I have New York Times
> bread almost ready to go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost
> interest in my planned dinner. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes,
> salt. That about does it, huh?
>
> Serene
> --
> Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:
>
> "Faith is believing what you know ain't so." [Mark Twain]

Sounds like Mediterranean Bread Salad, to me. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Giusi" > wrote:

>> Or you could make my favroite thing about Italy in summer-- Ligurian tomato
>> salad. Cube the tomatoes, finely mince some garlic, chiffonade generous
>> basil, salt well, pour great oil all over and mic. Cover with a clean towel
>> and let it marinate for a couple of hours at room temperature. Bread is
>> essential for the incredible juices. Keep in fridge, but do not marinate in
>> the fridge.

My mother and I love to dip good bread into a bowl of tomatoes,
basil, olive oil, salt, and garlic. I just didn't know it had a name
before. :-)

> Then there is Insalata Caprice...

Or Caprese, even. :-)

> If you have access to fresh Basil.

Yeah. We didn't that night, but it's one of our favorite things.
Sometimes, we have it in sandwich form:

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0001chgf/g5

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

Nearly all peoples have developed their own creation myth, and
the Genesis story is just the one that happened to have been
adopted by one particular tribe of Middle Eastern herders. It
has no more special status than the belief of a particular West
African tribe that the world was created from the excrement of
ants. [Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker, Oxford University
Press (1988), p316]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MJB wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> . Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes, salt. That about does it, huh?
>>
>> Serene

> Works for me this time of year.
>
> Last night's dinner was tomato sandwiches. Slices of fresh bread I baked in
> the morning, a smear of mayonaise and a layer each of sun-warm tomato
> slices, sweet onion, sharp cheddar and fresh basil leaves plucked from my
> herb garden. Just a little salt and pepper and some bread & butter pickle
> slices and I'm good.

Oh, man, yum. (Of course, I'm also fine with just mayo & tomatoes.
My boyfriends think I'm a freak for liking it, but it's my childhood
favorite sandwich.)

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"A true friend stabs you in the front." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Ravioli Feast Plated:
> http://i14.tinypic.com/538o7zd.jpg

Oh, man. I'm stuffed with Thai food, but I still think I could eat
some of *that*.

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"A true friend stabs you in the front." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:42:45 -0700, Serene >
> wrote:
>
>> One of the neighbor women just came to our door with a huge bowl
>> full of tomatoes from their garden. She says she has too many
>> tomatoes. I don't see how that's possible. And I have New York Times
>> bread almost ready to go into the oven, so suddenly, I've lost
>> interest in my planned dinner. Fresh bread, olive oil, tomatoes,
>> salt. That about does it, huh?

> You ARE rich! Hope you enjoyed your new dinner!

It was lovely, but not as lovely as seeing your ascii again!

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"A true friend stabs you in the front." -- Oscar Wilde

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0001chgf/g5
>
> Serene
>
> --

Your pictures are so clear and nice.

I am wondering about the beets in this pictu
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0002tfea/g5

Usually I roast mine whole and then slice. But the other day I cut them
into chunks and slathered them in olive oil, hoping to achieve a look
similar to yours.

However, mine were a bit burnt on the outside and not quite done on the
inside. (Too high temp, I'm sure - can't recall what it was, but I think it
might have been 400-425 abouts.)
Can you give me advise what your temperature was and how you accomplished
this 'good looking beet.'

I really like the looks of the way you prepared the falafel patty. I'd make
this more if I had your recipe. I'm a bit tired of the fried in oil in
balls.

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Or Caprese, even. :-)

Oops. <G>

> > If you have access to fresh Basil.

> Yeah. We didn't that night, but it's one of our favorite things.
> Sometimes, we have it in sandwich form:
>
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0001chgf/g5
>
> Serene

Looks yummy!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> > Last night's dinner was tomato sandwiches. Slices of fresh bread I baked
> > in
> > the morning, a smear of mayonaise and a layer each of sun-warm tomato
> > slices, sweet onion, sharp cheddar and fresh basil leaves plucked from my
> > herb garden. Just a little salt and pepper and some bread & butter pickle
> > slices and I'm good.

> Oh, man, yum. (Of course, I'm also fine with just mayo & tomatoes.
> My boyfriends think I'm a freak for liking it, but it's my childhood
> favorite sandwich.)
>
> Serene

Oh man... I LOVE a fresh garden tomato, still warm from the sun, sliced
and made into a sandwich with nothing but mayo and a little salt,
perhaps a smidge of pepper...

Sometimes I eat them in the yard, right off the vine, as is.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Ravioli Feast Plated:
> > http://i14.tinypic.com/538o7zd.jpg

> Oh, man. I'm stuffed with Thai food, but I still think I could eat
> some of *that*.
>
> Serene

<lol> Thanks. It was rather good despite cheating on the ingredients. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> <lol> Thanks. It was rather good despite cheating on the ingredients.
> ;-)

Ok Om... share the cheat please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > <lol> Thanks. It was rather good despite cheating on the ingredients.
> > ;-)

> Ok Om... share the cheat please?

Other pics, ok:

http://i14.tinypic.com/4ti5f7q.jpg

Other than peeling those grape tomatoes to add "chunkiness" to the
sauce, the rest was pre-packaged and just had to be combined and heated.
The raviolis had to have some time to cook.

I just put it all together in a covered skillet for that finale'.

http://i14.tinypic.com/538o7zd.jpg

That particular pasta sauce is to die for. It's the only brand I buy for
the most part if I'm not making my own.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I'm Rich I'm Rich I'n Filthy Rich BLUBBERMAN General Cooking 0 18-04-2011 04:41 PM
Get Rich off of 12 dollars jimdizzle General Cooking 0 22-02-2008 09:05 AM
I am New Rich Kitchen Nitemare General Cooking 0 19-12-2007 07:30 PM
eat the rich Barry General Cooking 0 24-04-2007 04:59 AM
Do you want to be rich? BENNETT9 Winemaking 0 25-02-2004 11:10 PM