Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Yosemite's Ahwahnee Dining Room

For as much as I love to advocate Yosemite as my personal favorite
destination, I had an incredible dining experience at The Dining Room
in Yosemite's Ahwahnee Hotel. The Dining Room experience was a one-
shot deal for me. I happened to be on a road trip to the San
Francisco Bay Area from Utah and thought two days and one night in
Yosemite would be worthwhile. If you're thinking about visiting the
Ahwahnee, you'll be interested in my review at www.foodiepost.com.

Pete

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:37:36 GMT, "James Silverton"

www.foodiepost.com.

>Wouldn't rec.travel.usa-canada be much more appropriate?

Considering we don't know him from "up", you're correct.

Getting back to the subject.... I have yet to actually DINE at the
Ahwahnee although I scan the menu every time I'm there <we stay
outside of Yosemite, but if I was in the hotel - it would be a no
brainer to eat in the main dining room>. I've heard from first hand
participants that the Bracebridge Dinner is fantastic, but I'm never
wowed by what I see in the summer. Also, the bar area (which includes
the patio) serves very good food. That's where I've eaten more than
once. LOL! Good (simple) food, good view... what more do you need?

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite.htm

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:37:36 GMT, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>
>> wrote on Sun, 26 Aug 2007
>>12:37:59 -0700:
>>
>> t> For as much as I love to advocate Yosemite as my personal
>> t> favorite destination, I had an incredible dining experience
>> t> at The Dining Room in Yosemite's Ahwahnee Hotel. The Dining
>> t> Room experience was a one- shot deal for me. I happened to
>> t> be on a road trip to the San Francisco Bay Area from Utah
>> t> and thought two days and one night in Yosemite would be
>> t> worthwhile. If you're thinking about visiting the Ahwahnee,
>> t> you'll be interested in my review at
www.foodiepost.com.

>>Wouldn't rec.travel.usa-canada be much more appropriate?
>>

> Considering we don't know him from "up", you're correct.
>
> Getting back to the subject.... I have yet to actually DINE at the
> Ahwahnee although I scan the menu every time I'm there <we stay
> outside of Yosemite, but if I was in the hotel - it would be a no
> brainer to eat in the main dining room>. I've heard from first hand
> participants that the Bracebridge Dinner is fantastic, but I'm never
> wowed by what I see in the summer. Also, the bar area (which includes
> the patio) serves very good food. That's where I've eaten more than
> once. LOL! Good (simple) food, good view... what more do you need?
>
> http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite.htm

I was interested in reading about the Ahwahnee Hotel as DH and I stayed
there for a few nights many, many years ago. I noticed that the critic's
review recited my sentiments about the food. I remember how disappointed I
was, and my pallet (sp?) was no where near as critical as it is today.

We had adjoining rooms to the Presidential suite where President Kennedy had
stayed. A person opened up the rooms for us and then said we could use them
if we wanted! We were overwhelmed.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

snip!

> Getting back to the subject.... I have yet to actually DINE at the
> Ahwahnee although I scan the menu every time I'm there <we stay
> outside of Yosemite, but if I was in the hotel - it would be a no
> brainer to eat in the main dining room>. I've heard from first hand
> participants that the Bracebridge Dinner is fantastic, but I'm never
> wowed by what I see in the summer. Also, the bar area (which includes
> the patio) serves very good food. That's where I've eaten more than
> once. LOL! Good (simple) food, good view... what more do you need?
>
> http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite.htm

I would say that brunch at the Ahwanee is worth doing. The dining room
is magnificent. Classic "Rustic Lodge" architecture with windows so high
you can see the rim of the Valley from your dining table. The food is
adequate but not destination quality. Brunch is all the usual suspects;
sweet rolls, egg dishes, lots of fruit, the usual sides, and prime rib
after 11 am. There is good variety and plenty to eat but it's a buffet
and it tastes like it. Still, the total experience is worth it as a one
time splurge. We were there in January with snow on the ground, no
crowds and crystal clear air. Highly recommended!

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:45:32 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>I was interested in reading about the Ahwahnee Hotel as DH and I stayed
>there for a few nights many, many years ago. I noticed that the critic's
>review recited my sentiments about the food. I remember how disappointed I
>was, and my pallet (sp?) was no where near as critical as it is today.
>
>We had adjoining rooms to the Presidential suite where President Kennedy had
>stayed. A person opened up the rooms for us and then said we could use them
>if we wanted! We were overwhelmed.

Let me tell you right now... I'm impressed!!!!

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I would say that brunch at the Ahwanee is worth doing. The dining room
> is magnificent. Classic "Rustic Lodge" architecture with windows so high
> you can see the rim of the Valley from your dining table. The food is
> adequate but not destination quality. Brunch is all the usual suspects;
> sweet rolls, egg dishes, lots of fruit, the usual sides, and prime rib
> after 11 am. There is good variety and plenty to eat but it's a buffet
> and it tastes like it. Still, the total experience is worth it as a one
> time splurge. We were there in January with snow on the ground, no
> crowds and crystal clear air. Highly recommended!
>
> D.M.

I would definitely agree on having brunch, breakfast or lunch at the
Hotel. You get the experience but don't have to spend quite as much.

We also stayed at the Ahwanee in January. It was right after a big
storm, so the snow was fresh, but no crowds and the crystal clear air.
Couldn't have asked for better.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> was, and my pallet (sp?) was no where near as critical as it is today.

"palate." ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 7:55 am, MayQueen > wrote:
> > I would say that brunch at the Ahwanee is worth doing. The dining room
> > is magnificent. Classic "Rustic Lodge" architecture with windows so high
> > you can see the rim of the Valley from your dining table. The food is
> > adequate but not destination quality. Brunch is all the usual suspects;
> > sweet rolls, egg dishes, lots of fruit, the usual sides, and prime rib
> > after 11 am. There is good variety and plenty to eat but it's a buffet
> > and it tastes like it. Still, the total experience is worth it as a one
> > time splurge. We were there in January with snow on the ground, no
> > crowds and crystal clear air. Highly recommended!

> > D.M.

> I would definitely agree on having brunch, breakfast or lunch at the
> Hotel. You get the experience but don't have to spend quite as much.

Breakfast iwa standard fare. Better than a Denny's but nothing all
that spectacular. The service was excellent though, with waiter
stations every 15 feet.

> We also stayed at the Ahwanee in January. It was right after a big
> storm, so the snow was fresh, but no crowds and the crystal clear air.
> Couldn't have asked for better.

I've heard some claims that the Mountain Room at Yosemite Lodge is
better. I've eaten there on several occasions and the food is pretty
good. They also don't have a "resort casual" dress code like the
Ahwahnee. I've gone there straight after a long day hiking and I like
being able to dine in a t-shirt and shorts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> was, and my pallet (sp?) was no where near as critical as it is today.

> "palate." ;-)
>
> N.

LOL. Looking closer, perhaps I should have written 'wallet' - that would
have been closer to the truth.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"y_p_w" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've heard some claims that the Mountain Room at Yosemite Lodge is
> better. I've eaten there on several occasions and the food is pretty
> good. They also don't have a "resort casual" dress code like the
> Ahwahnee. I've gone there straight after a long day hiking and I like
> being able to dine in a t-shirt and shorts.

I had heard that, too. But they've 'gottcha.' Who wants to wonder over and
have good food at some other place, when you can have mediocre food at the
Ahwahnee ;-).
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 4:08 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> "y_p_w" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...> I've heard some claims that the Mountain Room atYosemiteLodge is
> > better. I've eaten there on several occasions and the food is pretty
> > good. They also don't have a "resort casual" dress code like the
> > Ahwahnee. I've gone there straight after a long day hiking and I like
> > being able to dine in a t-shirt and shorts.

> I had heard that, too. But they've 'gottcha.' Who wants to wonder over and
> have good food at some other place, when you can have mediocre food at the
> Ahwahnee ;-).
> Dee Dee

I probably should have clarified. The Ahwahnee dining room has a
"resort casual" dress code for dinner only. They request at least a
shirt with collar and pants for men, or skirt/dress/pants for ladies.
It gets a bit darker around dinner time, so if you want to soak in the
view arrive early. By all means have breakfast/lunch there, with the
lower prices and still amazing views. The Ahwahnee Hotel is mostly
concrete, formed to look like large wood panels. I actually asked a
ranger, and was surprised. The main dining room does have really long
logs supporting the structure.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Dining_A...iningRoom.aspx

The Mountain Room is quite nice, although the primary view is of the
Yosemite Lodge courtyard/amphitheater. I've had a window seat last
time I was there, and could see plenty, including Yosemite Falls. The
view may not be as dramatic away from the windows. The room itself
sort of reminds me of a high-ceiling dining room at a ski lodge. The
wait to get in is also less than the Ahwahnee (where you might need
reservations).

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Dining_MountainRoom.aspx