Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 4 Mussel Stew

Mussel Stew

Ingredients:

4 large mussels
3 potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 cups water

1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Bring water to a boil. Add the mussels and boil for five minutes.
Add the potatoes and onion and boil for ten more minutes. Add the
tomatoes, canola oil, pepper, basil, garlic powder and salt and simmer
under low heat for 10 more minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Mussel Stew
>

> Ingredients:
>
> 4 large mussels
> 3 potatoes, diced
> 1 onion, diced
> 2 tomatoes, diced
> 2 tablespoons canola oil
> 3 cups water
>
> 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon basil
> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1 teaspoon salt
>

> Directions:
>
> Bring water to a boil. Add the mussels and boil for five minutes.
> Add the potatoes and onion and boil for ten more minutes. Add the
> tomatoes, canola oil, pepper, basil, garlic powder and salt and simmer
> under low heat for 10 more minutes.

This is dreadful!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent > wrote:

> wrote in message

>> Directions:
>>
>> Bring water to a boil. Add the mussels and boil for five minutes.
>> Add the potatoes and onion and boil for ten more minutes. Add the
>> tomatoes, canola oil, pepper, basil, garlic powder and salt and simmer
>> under low heat for 10 more minutes.

>This is dreadful!!!

Sure sounds it. But I've had mussel stew, and also oyster stew,
that wasn't too far removed from this. Ick.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote in message

> This isn't Mussel Stew, it's potato stew. Or broth. Or dishwater.
>
> The cooking time is barely adequate for the potatoes but should serve
> nicely to turn the mussels (all four of them!) into something resembling
> the texture of pencil erasers.

:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:34:14 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Mussel Stew
>>>

>>> Ingredients:
>>>
>>> 4 large mussels
>>> 3 potatoes, diced
>>> 1 onion, diced
>>> 2 tomatoes, diced
>>> 2 tablespoons canola oil
>>> 3 cups water
>>>
>>> 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
>>> 1/2 teaspoon basil
>>> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...9846a54?hl=en&

> -sw

Okay, I agree, Steve, that's *really* bad! LOL. That's not even a recipe!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Umm...
>
> This isn't Mussel Stew, it's potato stew. Or broth. Or dishwater.
>
> The cooking time is barely adequate for the potatoes but should serve
> nicely to turn the mussels (all four of them!) into something resembling
> the texture of pencil erasers.- Hide quoted text -

You guys are geniuses at commenting on the taste of a recipe you never
actually tasted. Common sense is a guide. If you try the recipe and
the potatoes are not quite done, then boil them a bit longer---duh. I
cooked this recipe and it tasted quite good. I ate up the entire bowl
of it. I'm not a restaurant critic, but surely if I was able to eat
up the entire thing in one setting, it must not taste like crap. It
seemed to taste well, actually. Incidentally, I used farm-raised New
Zealand mussels. These were large sized and they did not have that
kinda "shitty" taste that mussels usually have. The farmers must have
controlled their diet so that they would have a smooth, mild taste. I
agree that a stew made with the conventionally shitty tasting mussels
might not be particularly enticing.