Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking

Default Yet another sugar beat up

The ninemsn "health" page has a spiel on sugar this evening.
<http://naturalhealth.ninemsn.com.au/News/Detail.aspx?ArticleId=9003>

Opinions are attributed at length to so-called author and health
expert Jennifer Jefferies.

<quoting an extract>
The average person consumes in excess of 50 kilograms of sugar per
year! So why do we continue to consume so much of it? Because sugars
are hidden in everything.
</quoting>

Now, I don't know about the good ole USA, but here in Oz the only
"hidden" sugars I'm aware of are those in fresh food -- especially
fruit and some vegetables.

All processed tinned/packeted food carries a label stating how much
carbohydrate is in the product -- values are provided for both total
CHO and the sugar component. If it's "hidden" it's because people
don't read the flamin' label!

And another line atributed to the good Jennifer: If you want to
sweeten foods stick with raw honey, molasses or real maple syrup...

Molasses? So "manufactured" sugar is death, but the molasses made in
the same process is okay?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID