Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Football-watching food

With football season fast approaching, I once again find myself facing the
question of what to eat while watching the games. As far as the NFL is
concerned, neither Lin nor I find any teams particularly worth following, so
we'll just watch whatever games happen to come our way. I make some attempt
to tailor the menu to the regional cuisine of one team or the other, but I'm
not planning anything particular yet because I don't know which games I'll
be watching. I *do* like to make a big pot of chili on Super Bowl Sunday,
but that's so far in the future I'm not going to give it much thought right
now.

Lin is a college football fan, and she's hooked on watching as many Sooner
games as possible. Looking at a television schedule, I see:

Oklahoma versus North Texas on September 1 at 4 PM Pacific time.
I'm thinking barbecued beef ribs, cole slaw, so-called "ranch-style" pinto
beans, potato salad, spicy pickled okra, iced tea, and strawberry shortcake.

Oklahoma versus Miami (FL) on September 8 at 9 AM Pacific time.
This will be at brunch time, so the tentative menu is cafe con leche, fried
eggs, orange juice, and Cuban sandwiches made with Hawaiian bread. (Hmm... I
think if we end up watching an afternoon or evening game featuring the Miami
Dolphins, I'll try to get stone crab claws and mahi-mahi.)

I don't see another televised OU game until September 21, when the Sooners
play at Tulsa at 5 PM Pacific time. For that game, I think it'll be grilled
butterflied chicken, corn on the cob, tomato salad, and watermelon. Does
that sound like "Oklahoma" food?

Surprisingly, there don't appear to be any other Sooner games televised
nationally. Lin's going to be jonesing for sure!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Aug 2007 22:47:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>With football season fast approaching, I once again find myself facing the
>question of what to eat while watching the games. As far as the NFL is
>concerned, neither Lin nor I find any teams particularly worth following, so
>we'll just watch whatever games happen to come our way.

i watch the redskins. that calls for strong drink, not food.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 10 Aug 2007 22:47:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>With football season fast approaching, I once again find myself facing the
>question of what to eat while watching the games. As far as the NFL is
>concerned, neither Lin nor I find any teams particularly worth following,
>so
>we'll just watch whatever games happen to come our way.

"Football-watching" food. Ten bucks says some smart-ass wordsmith is
going to tell you that food doesn't watch football. It won't be I.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote

> "Football-watching" food. Ten bucks says some smart-ass wordsmith is
> going to tell you that food doesn't watch football. It won't be I.

Why not? We have self addressed stamped envelopes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2007 22:47:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>
>>With football season fast approaching, I once again find myself facing the
>>question of what to eat while watching the games. As far as the NFL is
>>concerned, neither Lin nor I find any teams particularly worth following, so
>>we'll just watch whatever games happen to come our way.

> i watch the redskins. that calls for strong drink, not food.

But...but...redskin peanuts!

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Surprisingly, there don't appear to be any other Sooner games televised
> nationally. Lin's going to be jonesing for sure!

OU/Texas is ALWAYS nationally televised. I expect something
spectacular in your meal plans that day.

If it isn't, we may have to subscribe to some sort of College Game Day
Pass so we can catch all the action for all "my" teams!

--Lin (All about the Big XII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 10, 9:47 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> With football season fast approaching, I once again find myself facing the
> question of what to eat while watching the games.

Pork rinds! (chicharrones)

> Bob

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Aug 2007 21:42:52 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On 10 Aug 2007 22:47:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>>
>>>With football season fast approaching, I once again find myself facing the
>>>question of what to eat while watching the games. As far as the NFL is
>>>concerned, neither Lin nor I find any teams particularly worth following, so
>>>we'll just watch whatever games happen to come our way.

>> i watch the redskins. that calls for strong drink, not food.

>But...but...redskin peanuts!

that's an idea. but i might end up throwing them at the t.v.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2007 21:42:52 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>blake murphy wrote:

>>> i watch the redskins. that calls for strong drink, not food.

>>But...but...redskin peanuts!

> that's an idea. but i might end up throwing them at the t.v.

Better than bricks. Unless they're foam bricks made for that purpose.

http://raceworld.com/rpm-cart/pix/002669.jpg

Site doesn't have one for the 'Skins.

Perhaps this would be appropriate;

http://raceworld.com/rpm-cart/pix/4256.jpg

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.
Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Aug 2007 18:47:39 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On 11 Aug 2007 21:42:52 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
>> wrote:

>>>But...but...redskin peanuts!

>> that's an idea. but i might end up throwing them at the t.v.

>Better than bricks. Unless they're foam bricks made for that purpose.
>
>http://raceworld.com/rpm-cart/pix/002669.jpg
>
>Site doesn't have one for the 'Skins.
>
>Perhaps this would be appropriate;
>
>http://raceworld.com/rpm-cart/pix/4256.jpg

i thought about painting some chunks of styrofoam gray before such
things were commercially available.

your pal,
blake

Football Food Tara General Cooking 5 06-11-2010 09:38 PM
You know your kids are watching too much Food Network when...? Douglas J. Renze General Cooking 1 28-09-2006 11:50 PM