Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Watermelon in rose-lime syrup finished

Stan came home with a nice little watermelon for me to make this
recipe (whatta guy)

The ingredients are limes, rose water, black salt in a simple syrup.
http://i8.tinypic.com/68ml4ra.jpg

Once the simple syrup is cooled the lime and rose water are added. I
used two small limes and I filled the cap from the bottle of rose
water about 3/4 full of the rose water.
http://i8.tinypic.com/53zb01t.jpg

The black salt is coarse so I put some in a mortar to grind it up a
little.
http://i11.tinypic.com/4u8ylh1.jpg

When ground up it turns gray. When ground up more it looks like
fireplace ashes
http://i13.tinypic.com/6h7vjuc.jpg

So I added just a pinch at first. I was a little afraid at first, not
knowing what to expect from this type of salt.
This is a pinch, right?
http://i18.tinypic.com/6g1qclx.jpg

I measured out the watermelon because I had no idea as to about how
much melon made up a pound.
http://i13.tinypic.com/4v8mr2r.jpg

For every pound of melon add one cup of ice and some of the syrup. The
recipe says 5-6 tablespoons for a small melon. (I think that is not
nearly enough) refrigerate for a few hours for the flavors to meld,
stirring occasionally.
http://i15.tinypic.com/4tr0tit.jpg

Ready to eat.
http://i13.tinypic.com/4zd7ddt.jpg

I think I will double the lime in this and maybe just a bit more rose
water. I made the mistake drinking rum and coke tonight so I think my
taste buds are skewed by the sweetness of the coke, so I'll wait and
taste it again tomorrow.

I do know I will be using the black salt a lot. I really like it.

Koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 7/14

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw