Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: End of Summer Tomato Sorbet

I was looking around Chowhound.com and came across this post. It has
this recipe along with a couple of other interesting looking ones. One
being a recipe for Strawberry balsamic frozen yogurt.

Here is the post, I found it really interesting.
http://www.chowhound.com/topics/416279

Here is one of the recipes from that post.

End of Summer Tomato Sorbet
Makes one pint

About 2 pounds of Early Girl tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
3-5 TB sugar, granulated and superfine (I used 4 TB total)
About 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
1 tsp. fruity olive oil
salt

Macerate chopped tomatoes w/ 3 TB granulated sugar, 1 tsp. sherry
vinegar, and olive oil for at least 30 min. and up to overnight. Puree
in blender til smooth and strain. You should have about 2 cups of
puree. Taste and add pinch salt to brighten flavor. Adjust for sugar
(use superfine for easy dissolving) and vinegar, keeping in mind that
flavors will dull a bit when frozen. Chill til very cold. Freeze in
ice cream machine til it comes together and achieves desired flavor
concentration (I churned for about 7 min). Freeze to harden if
desired. If desired, serve in hollowed tomato w/ a sprinkle of sea
salt.

Recipe by carb lover

Koko
---
---
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/17

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tomato sorbet sounds interesting. How would you serve it? As a
starter or a dessert? If it wasn't very sweet, a tomato sorbet in a
tomato cup followed by a hot, light soup would be a nice change for a
light summer meal.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 02:53:15 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>Tomato sorbet sounds interesting. How would you serve it? As a
>starter or a dessert? If it wasn't very sweet, a tomato sorbet in a
>tomato cup followed by a hot, light soup would be a nice change for a
>light summer meal.
>
>Tara

I'm not really sure how I'd serve it. Perhaps as a starter or palate
cleanser?
I'll need to make it and see. It does look interesting doesn't it.

Koko
---
---
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/17

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko replied to Tara:

>> Tomato sorbet sounds interesting. How would you serve it? As a
>> starter or a dessert? If it wasn't very sweet, a tomato sorbet in a
>> tomato cup followed by a hot, light soup would be a nice change for a
>> light summer meal.
>>

> I'm not really sure how I'd serve it. Perhaps as a starter or palate
> cleanser?
> I'll need to make it and see. It does look interesting doesn't it.

How about starting off a dinner by serving bruschetta with garlic shrimp,
followed by the tomato sorbet, followed by grill-roasted beef tenderloin?

(This is what happens when I read rfc hungry.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 8:45?pm, Koko wrote:
> I was looking around Chowhound.com and came across this post. It has
> this recipe along with a couple of other interesting looking ones. One
> being a recipe for Strawberry balsamic frozen yogurt.
>
> Here is the post, I found it really interesting.http://www.chowhound.com/topics/416279
>
> Here is one of the recipes from that post.
>
> End of Summer Tomato Sorbet
> Makes one pint
>
> About 2 pounds of Early Girl tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
> 3-5 TB sugar, granulated and superfine (I used 4 TB total)
> About 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
> 1 tsp. fruity olive oil
> salt
>
> Macerate chopped tomatoes w/ 3 TB granulated sugar, 1 tsp. sherry
> vinegar, and olive oil for at least 30 min. and up to overnight. Puree
> in blender til smooth and strain. You should have about 2 cups of
> puree. Taste and add pinch salt to brighten flavor. Adjust for sugar
> (use superfine for easy dissolving) and vinegar, keeping in mind that
> flavors will dull a bit when frozen. Chill til very cold. Freeze in
> ice cream machine til it comes together and achieves desired flavor
> concentration (I churned for about 7 min). Freeze to harden if
> desired. If desired, serve in hollowed tomato w/ a sprinkle of sea
> salt.
>
> Recipe by carb lover

Eeeeewwwww icky poo yuck bleck sounds horrible. I know from a
botanical standpoint a tomato is a fruit but I call it a vegetable
since it's used as a vegetable, and vegetables do not belong in frozen
desserts. The only exception I'll allow is pumpkin pie flavored ice
cream. If you're going to call a tomato a fruit then you have to call
things like cucumbers and squash fruits too. Actually anytime you eat
the part of the plant that contains the seed you're eating the fruit.
That means green beans and corn corn are fruits. I can't imagine
using either one of those in a frozen dessert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 2:20?am, " > wrote:
> On Jun 30, 8:45?pm, Koko wrote:
>

> > I was looking around Chowhound.com and came across this post. It has
> > this recipe along with a couple of other interesting looking ones. One
> > being a recipe for Strawberry balsamic frozen yogurt.

> > Here is the post, I found it really interesting.http://www.chowhound.com/topics/416279

> > Here is one of the recipes from that post.

> > End of Summer Tomato Sorbet
> > Makes one pint

> > About 2 pounds of Early Girl tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
> > 3-5 TB sugar, granulated and superfine (I used 4 TB total)
> > About 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
> > 1 tsp. fruity olive oil
> > salt

> > Macerate chopped tomatoes w/ 3 TB granulated sugar, 1 tsp. sherry
> > vinegar, and olive oil for at least 30 min. and up to overnight. Puree
> > in blender til smooth and strain. You should have about 2 cups of
> > puree. Taste and add pinch salt to brighten flavor. Adjust for sugar
> > (use superfine for easy dissolving) and vinegar, keeping in mind that
> > flavors will dull a bit when frozen. Chill til very cold. Freeze in
> > ice cream machine til it comes together and achieves desired flavor
> > concentration (I churned for about 7 min). Freeze to harden if
> > desired. If desired, serve in hollowed tomato w/ a sprinkle of sea
> > salt.

> > Recipe by carb lover

> Eeeeewwwww icky poo yuck bleck sounds horrible. I know from a
> botanical standpoint a tomato is a fruit but I call it a vegetable
> since it's used as a vegetable, and vegetables do not belong in frozen
> desserts. The only exception I'll allow is pumpkin pie flavored ice
> cream. If you're going to call a tomato a fruit then you have to call
> things like cucumbers and squash fruits too. Actually anytime you eat
> the part of the plant that contains the seed you're eating the fruit.
> That means green beans and corn corn are fruits. I can't imagine
> using either one of those in a frozen dessert- Hide quoted text -

When I said vegetables don't belong in frozen desserts I meant to say
vegetables don't belong in desserts period. The exception being
pumpkin pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:18:35 -0700, Koko wrote:

>I'm not really sure how I'd serve it. Perhaps as a starter or palate
>cleanser?
>I'll need to make it and see. It does look interesting doesn't it.

Make it at the cook-in.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jun 2007 22:40:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Koko replied to Tara:
>
>>> Tomato sorbet sounds interesting. How would you serve it? As a
>>> starter or a dessert? If it wasn't very sweet, a tomato sorbet in a
>>> tomato cup followed by a hot, light soup would be a nice change for a
>>> light summer meal.
>>>

>> I'm not really sure how I'd serve it. Perhaps as a starter or palate
>> cleanser?
>> I'll need to make it and see. It does look interesting doesn't it.

>How about starting off a dinner by serving bruschetta with garlic shrimp,
>followed by the tomato sorbet, followed by grill-roasted beef tenderloin?
>
>(This is what happens when I read rfc hungry.)
>

>Bob

Sounds like a great way to serve it.
You are always so creative.

Koko