Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite Farmers' Market Item?

More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

I always look forward to the local sweet corn coming in. The corn is
always picked the evening before, so it can't really get fresher than
that (unless one has their very own corn field <g>). The vendor brings
a large farm truck with its flat-bed full of green corn on the cobs and
parks it at the Market. Customers then select the ears of corn they
want straight from the truck. The cost is usually around $1 per 6 ears
of corn. Don't know the current price yet for this season.

In addition to corn, I like the fresh fruits like strawberries, peaches,
and raspberries. There's also a vendor for local honey, so I buy a bit
from him every year. And one lady vendor at the market makes wonderful
apples pies, luckily the small ones too

One reason I like shopping at local farmers' market is because I like to
support local and regional businesses, especially the small family
businesses. Plus, it's nice to know the true source of the foods,
whether produce, dairy, meat, and other merchandise.

Another fun feature is the entertainment factor. There are always a few
musicians who play during Market hours. Some of them are school kids
practicing and trying to make a buck at the same time, where others are
more full of character (think Dick Van Dyke's character in Marry
Poppins). Anything from classical to blue grass to funky.

Not to mention, there's usually some group or another affiliated with
some political or non-political movement requesting signatures for
petitions. Other various non-profit and profit organzations have
information 'canopies' where brochures and mailing lists are available.

Farmers' Markets are always fun. Visiting them is often a good way to
learn information about local goings-on.

Sky, who's off to the Market <g>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

At this time of the year, the wonderful young peas. Their season is
really over by now, but I was able to find them for the past two months.
They are as sweet as sugar. My problem was that I ate so many when I
shelled them, I never had enough except as an addition to some other
dish, such as peas in the green salad or in potato salad or as a side
dish with sauteed onions and mushrooms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"margaret suran" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Skyhooks wrote:
>> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
>> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
>> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?
>>

> At this time of the year, the wonderful young peas. Their season is
> really over by now, but I was able to find them for the past two months.
> They are as sweet as sugar. My problem was that I ate so many when I
> shelled them, I never had enough except as an addition to some other dish,
> such as peas in the green salad or in potato salad or as a side dish with
> sauteed onions and mushrooms.

This week I brought home some sugar snap peas, mixed salad greens and goat's
milk cheese, along with (oh, I am a sucker) a wee packet of pink Himalayan
salt (!) and a bar of goat's milk soap. Oh, and one enormous deep red peony,
for the soul. My market is in Copley Square, Boston, twice a week, and has a
great mix of true farm produce and almost elegant bread and pastries.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks said...

> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

My farmers' markets are quite boring, just aisles of fruit and veggies unlike
the fashionable street markets offering plenty of everything.

I always get a bag of seedless grapes. Usually apples, basil (if the price is
right) and avocados.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local
> farmers' market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your
> favorite item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

There are so many items, it's difficult to list! We try to go to our local
produce stand at least twice a month because their veggies are fresh,
cheaper and prettier than at the grocery store.

We usually get: vidalia onions, various colored bell peppers, green beans,
cucumbers, mushrooms, tomatoes (vine ripened), avocado, squash and corn.
Then, depending upon what fruit is in season, we may pick up strawberries,
blueberries or cantaloupe.

Our produce stand is called Shannon's and it's about.......15 minutes away.
In addition to fruits and veggies, they sell things like local honey, local
jams, locally made chutneys, fertilizers, herb plants and decorative plants
and trees. The best part is that *they* grow most of what they sell and
it's picked fresh, so you know you're getting as good as it gets without
growing it yourself. That's what I like about it. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

Fayetteville square surrounds what was once our post office. A pretty
site for a market here in NW Arkansas. We had a bad spring freeze so
there were no strawberries or blueberries and will be no locally grown
peaches this year. Sad, sad, sad ...

Everything else is normal. We have had a few farmers of asian extraction
showing up for the last several summers so I'm seeing a lot of what look
(to me) like exotic vegetables. Will have to try to learn how to use
this stuff.

Onions, leeks, shallots, and such have been my favorites this spring and
now tomatoes are showing up. I like smaller tomatoes and am especially
fond of the really small ones (e. g. cherry or grape tomatoes) that have
been appearing on the square over the last few years. The wife and I buy
a half pint of each of a number of varieties. We munch on them like
candy at her house whilst doing crossword or jigsaw puzzles in air
conditioned comfort.

Life is good.

Dave W.
In the Ozarks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:58:55 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Skyhooks said...
>
>> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
>> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
>> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

>My farmers' markets are quite boring, just aisles of fruit and veggies unlike
>the fashionable street markets offering plenty of everything.
>
>I always get a bag of seedless grapes. Usually apples, basil (if the price is
>right) and avocados.
>
>Andy

That doesn't sound like the type of farmers market that Sky is talking
about. There, you wouldn't have the juxtaposition of vegetables that
out of season, along with seasonal things.

Surely there must be a real farmers market in your area?

This morning from work, I went to a local produce stand to see if they
had any Hanover tomatoes yet. They didn't, but they had freshly
shucked butter beans, plus those in the pod. I seriously thought
about getting some, but I am down to doing almost no cooking right
now, as I am trying to clean this place up.

And to those of you who argued with me about butter beans some time
ago, these did look like baby limas!!!! And they were labeled as
being butterbeans. So there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine, who might go back and take a picture of this...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:02:39 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

<snip>

>And to those of you who argued with me about butter beans some time
>ago, these did look like baby limas!!!! And they were labeled as
>being butterbeans. So there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That could just mean that at least 2 of you are wrong :-)

TammyM, whose idear of butter beans is a tad larger than "baby limas"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:30:19 -0500, Skyhooks
> wrote:

>More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
>market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
>item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

Ohhh....farmers markets. I just adore them.

I miss the farmers markets of California. Such incredible
produce..and yes sky, that means GREEN stuff.

But no matter, I still love them almost anywhere.

I start haunting farmers markets as often as I can at this time of
year for the first tomatoes. Real summer tomatoes that is. Same with
corn. I like plain old yellow corn, not the super sweet varieties and
occasionally it still turns up in some markets.

I haven't been to the local farmers market here yet, even though it
opened a few weeks ago. My time is getting short here, and I would be
tempted to buy more than I could possibly cook and eat. I wish I
could... The little produce stand I frequent now also has local
produce, especially southern staples, like pole beans. Butter beans
in the pod and shelled. I was just there this morning and I saw these
gorgeous piles of beets, locally grown.

In California, I go for the fruit. I get my peaches and apricots from
farmers markets there, and if I got apricots, half are gone by the
time I get home. And the melons.

In New Mexico last year, I happened upon a farmer at one of the local
markets that was selling Winesap apples from a few trees he had on his
property. Man, those things were good!!!

In the fall, at New Mexico farmers markets, the chile roasters are set
up and you can buy many different kinds of chiles and have them
freshly roasted for you. Just to walk into the marketplace and smell
the aroma of that is enough to set one to salivating...

I like talking to the folks that grow the food too. Last year, at the
Corrales market, I got to talking to one of the ladies who had just
started coming to that particular market. She had some more boutique
type vegetables and was trying to see what folks wanted her to grow
for the markets. Should be interesting to see what she has this year.
I think last year (among other things) I asked her about having squash
blossoms for sale, and she was very interested in that. I am now
hoping I can find when I get back to NM.

You touched upon a topic near to my heart, sky. I think farmers
markets are wonderful, and I encourage folks to find their local ones,
where they are selling locally grown produce, in season. I think
farmers markets, among other things, remind us of the seasonality of
our food. It is always a pleasure to look forward to the first
tomatoes of the season, the first corn, the first asparagus, the stone
fruits of summer. In northern California, the green garlic that only
shows up in the spring... The profusion of ripe peppers of any type
that show up in the fall...

Christine, advocate of eating seasonally

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local
> farmers' market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your
> favorite item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?
>
> I always look forward to the local sweet corn coming in. The corn is
> always picked the evening before, so it can't really get fresher than
> that (unless one has their very own corn field <g>). The vendor
> brings a large farm truck with its flat-bed full of green corn on the
> cobs and parks it at the Market. Customers then select the ears of
> corn they want straight from the truck. The cost is usually around
> $1 per 6 ears of corn. Don't know the current price yet for this
> season.
>
> In addition to corn, I like the fresh fruits like strawberries,
> peaches, and raspberries. There's also a vendor for local honey, so
> I buy a bit from him every year. And one lady vendor at the market
> makes wonderful apples pies, luckily the small ones too
>
> One reason I like shopping at local farmers' market is because I like
> to support local and regional businesses, especially the small family
> businesses. Plus, it's nice to know the true source of the foods,
> whether produce, dairy, meat, and other merchandise.
>
> Another fun feature is the entertainment factor. There are always a
> few musicians who play during Market hours. Some of them are school
> kids practicing and trying to make a buck at the same time, where
> others are more full of character (think Dick Van Dyke's character in
> Marry Poppins). Anything from classical to blue grass to funky.
>
> Not to mention, there's usually some group or another affiliated with
> some political or non-political movement requesting signatures for
> petitions. Other various non-profit and profit organzations have
> information 'canopies' where brochures and mailing lists are
> available.
>
> Farmers' Markets are always fun. Visiting them is often a good way to
> learn information about local goings-on.
>
> Sky, who's off to the Market <g>

The farmer's market here is quite limited and very dull. I buy various
squash, broccoli, green beans, tomatoes, peas. Corn on the cob, although
they are often busily using this big machine that removes the kernels so
they can sell corn OFF the cob! (Eeek, don't do that, I want my corn *on*
the cob!)

In the summer there is more watermelon than you can shake a stick at and I
don't like the taste of watermelon. Don't care for cantaloupe or others,
either. Grapes are hard to find. Sometimes there are peaches or
nectarines. There is no music, no extra anything. Just a bunch of bins of
veggies and some fruit and people standing around looking hot and bored.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> That doesn't sound like the type of farmers market that Sky is talking
> about. There, you wouldn't have the juxtaposition of vegetables that
> out of season, along with seasonal things.
>
> Surely there must be a real farmers market in your area?

I remember the one in Los Angeles at Beverly and Fairfax. That was a social
farmer's market, with tables in a food court. They had a good mix of
everything. Lots of people (and movie stars) would sit there every day and
"hold court."

I've seen the Santa Monica street market on TV but it wasn't there when I
left.

Two of the farmers markets here also sell garden plants. One, Linvilla
Orchards sells chickens and eggs, cakes, ice cream and fresh pressed apple
cider as well! Great cider, all cloudy and thick! YUM! I also pick my corn
there.

There's a large farmer's market in Amish country (Bird in Hand, PA) that
offers up all the regional fresh produce. Some Amish harvest gets to
Philadelphia, at the Reading Terminal Market.

They all pretty much keep seasonal, they just don't have pizzazz.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:31:23 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>These are the butterbeans I grew up with. I think I am going to go
>back and get a bag of them... I think my sister likes them as well, so
>maybe I can induce her to cook them...

Make succotash! Mmmmm.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:54:34 -0500, Dave W > wrote:

>We have had a few farmers of asian extraction
>showing up for the last several summers so I'm seeing a lot of what look
>(to me) like exotic vegetables. Will have to try to learn how to use
>this stuff.

Can you get "long" beans? If so, you can do a great stir fry with
beef.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:24:52 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Christine, advocate of eating seasonally

What's the name of that thing we found that resembles an artichoke? I
had no idea what I was looking at until you told me.... then I saw it
growing wild in England and took a picture of it. Will find it later
to post or send.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:24:52 -0400, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>>Christine, advocate of eating seasonally

> What's the name of that thing we found that resembles an artichoke? I
> had no idea what I was looking at until you told me.... then I saw it
> growing wild in England and took a picture of it. Will find it later
> to post or send.

Cardoon?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

Haven't seen it in a few years, but one of the strawberry vendors would
bring a cooler with these little frozen cups. They weren't ice cream,
and I think they had no dairy in them. They tasted just like fresh
strawberries, except frozen. I guess they would be called a strawberry
ice.

ObMarket: We're going in a few minutes. It's only on Saturday
afternoons during the summer. This will be my first visit this year,
although the kids went last weekend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, artisan2
@ix.netcom.com says...
> That doesn't sound like the type of farmers market that Sky is talking
> about. There, you wouldn't have the juxtaposition of vegetables that
> out of season, along with seasonal things.
>
> Surely there must be a real farmers market in your area?

It's too bad, some "farmers' markets" are just another location for
people to sell produce from California, Florida, Chile, etc. Our market
(Carrboro, NC, which has gained some fame nationally) is successful in
part because they have strict regulations that everything sold has to be
grown or raised within a 100 mile radius (or some such distance).

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:31:48 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:24:52 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>>Christine, advocate of eating seasonally

>What's the name of that thing we found that resembles an artichoke? I
>had no idea what I was looking at until you told me.... then I saw it
>growing wild in England and took a picture of it. Will find it later
>to post or send.

Cardoons. Nancy can tell you all about them..

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 8:30 am, Skyhooks > wrote:
> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?
>
> I always look forward to the local sweet corn coming in. The corn is
> always picked the evening before, so it can't really get fresher than
> that (unless one has their very own corn field <g>). The vendor brings
> a large farm truck with its flat-bed full of green corn on the cobs and
> parks it at the Market. Customers then select the ears of corn they
> want straight from the truck. The cost is usually around $1 per 6 ears
> of corn. Don't know the current price yet for this season.
>
> In addition to corn, I like the fresh fruits like strawberries, peaches,
> and raspberries. There's also a vendor for local honey, so I buy a bit
> from him every year. And one lady vendor at the market makes wonderful
> apples pies, luckily the small ones too
>
> One reason I like shopping at local farmers' market is because I like to
> support local and regional businesses, especially the small family
> businesses. Plus, it's nice to know the true source of the foods,
> whether produce, dairy, meat, and other merchandise.
>
> Another fun feature is the entertainment factor. There are always a few
> musicians who play during Market hours. Some of them are school kids
> practicing and trying to make a buck at the same time, where others are
> more full of character (think Dick Van Dyke's character in Marry
> Poppins). Anything from classical to blue grass to funky.
>
> Not to mention, there's usually some group or another affiliated with
> some political or non-political movement requesting signatures for
> petitions. Other various non-profit and profit organzations have
> information 'canopies' where brochures and mailing lists are available.
>
> Farmers' Markets are always fun. Visiting them is often a good way to
> learn information about local goings-on.
>
> Sky, who's off to the Market <g>

By far here in Portland, OR it's the better quality cultivated
mushrooms and herbs: Shiitake, Maitake, basil, lemongrass, Oyster,
mint. Of course, having some from my own garden is marginally better,
but not by much. And I haven't been able to get maitake to grow for me
yet. Oh, and fresh strawberries, marionberries (kind of like thornless
blackberries), peaches, apples, blueberries, huckleberries,
whortleberries, blackberries (almost the season!), and even
salmonberries sometimes. Chef Greg Higgins of Higgins Restaurant
really made something worthwhile from this first Farmer's Market in
the US. And the quality has expanded. You can sometimes even get fresh-
cooked Dungeness crab, although almost no one uses Oregon myrtle in
the water, like I enjoy.

I usually go to the downtown market on Wednesday. Many organic farmers/
sellers available.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:38:59 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

><sf> wrote
>
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:24:52 -0400, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Christine, advocate of eating seasonally

>> What's the name of that thing we found that resembles an artichoke? I
>> had no idea what I was looking at until you told me.... then I saw it
>> growing wild in England and took a picture of it. Will find it later
>> to post or send.

>Cardoon?

Yes and she mentioned your name.... what on earth do you do with a
cardoon?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:43:35 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>In the summer there is more watermelon than you can shake a stick at and I
>don't like the taste of watermelon. Don't care for cantaloupe or others,
>either.

do you like *any* melon?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:38:59 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>><sf> wrote

>>> What's the name of that thing we found that resembles an artichoke? I
>>> had no idea what I was looking at until you told me.... then I saw it
>>> growing wild in England and took a picture of it. Will find it later
>>> to post or send.

>>Cardoon?
>>

> Yes and she mentioned your name.... what on earth do you do with a
> cardoon?

I hardly know. My ex's grandmother would pick them growing wild
by a bridge. I mean a city bridge, not a little bridge over a brook
somewhere. She would smash the living heck out of them until they
looked like wads of dry grass, then she'd give them an egg wash and
fry them up.

I know. This sounds just horrible. They were out of this world and I
craved them for a long time. Goes to show how that little mean old
lady from Italy could cook anything.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

Alas, there is no farmers' market nearby. But where I used to live, we
had a great farmers' market that was heavy on the organic side. My
favorite items included purple "green beans", baby bok choy, pea geens,
& Russian kale. Now I grow my own peas (& greens), kale & beans. We
started picking tomatoes this week.

Emma
--
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:43:35 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
> >In the summer there is more watermelon than you can shake a stick at and I
> >don't like the taste of watermelon. Don't care for cantaloupe or others,
> >either.

> do you like *any* melon?

I think that comes under the category of "others".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

It would have to be the fruit. Strawberries are usually great.

At one of our farmer's market locations there is a fabulous bakery that
comes. They have the longest line of any vendor. Each week they seem to
have something different using fresh fruit. One of the tastiest things
we found was their garlic bread, but I have since figured out how to
make something similar, not that it was super difficult.

My son wants to go as there is usually a balloon clown or person there.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?
>
> I always look forward to the local sweet corn coming in. The corn is
> always picked the evening before, so it can't really get fresher than
> that (unless one has their very own corn field <g>). The vendor brings
> a large farm truck with its flat-bed full of green corn on the cobs and
> parks it at the Market. Customers then select the ears of corn they
> want straight from the truck. The cost is usually around $1 per 6 ears
> of corn. Don't know the current price yet for this season.

Fresh cucumbers, water mellon, and tomatoes are my three favorite items
from a farmer's market.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

I look for the vegetables my mom grew when I was a kid: new potatoes,
green beans, tomatoes, sweet corn, radishes, cukes -- ordinary stuff.
What draws me there? Good food.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:02:01 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:43:35 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In the summer there is more watermelon than you can shake a stick at and I
>> >don't like the taste of watermelon. Don't care for cantaloupe or others,
>> >either.

>> do you like *any* melon?

>I think that comes under the category of "others".

Sometimes there's an "except". There is nothing better than a cold
melon on a hot day.... cantaloupe or honey dew (with a scoop of
vanilla ice cream fer instance) and frozen watermelon-sickle. I used
to be able to buy all sorts of fresh fruits and melons that way, but
the shop is closed a couple of years ago. Darn.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:09:45 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>Haven't seen it in a few years, but one of the strawberry vendors would
>bring a cooler with these little frozen cups. They weren't ice cream,
>and I think they had no dairy in them. They tasted just like fresh
>strawberries, except frozen. I guess they would be called a strawberry
>ice.

Do you get "fresha" in taquerias? It's always strawberry when I see
it. I can imagine fresha frozen into bars and it would bevery good.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:54:34 -0500, Dave W > wrote:
>
> >We have had a few farmers of asian extraction
> >showing up for the last several summers so I'm seeing a lot of what look
> >(to me) like exotic vegetables. Will have to try to learn how to use
> >this stuff.

> Can you get "long" beans? If so, you can do a great stir fry with
> beef.

Yes I can and so I will. Thx for the suggestion.

Dave W.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:20:48 -0500, Dave W > wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:54:34 -0500, Dave W > wrote:
>>
>> >We have had a few farmers of asian extraction
>> >showing up for the last several summers so I'm seeing a lot of what look
>> >(to me) like exotic vegetables. Will have to try to learn how to use
>> >this stuff.

>> Can you get "long" beans? If so, you can do a great stir fry with
>> beef.

>Yes I can and so I will. Thx for the suggestion.

Dave, long beans are also used in Filipino cooking. Look for Sitaw
recipes on the internet.

This is a simple side dish. You can find other sitaw recipes that
call for shrimp or beef.

http://tinyurl.com/2uex9r

Adobong Sitaw
Contributed by Natalie Alvarez

Ingredients

* 1 onion
* 3 cloves of garlic (adjust to your taste)
* Peppercorn
* 2 bay leaves
* Vegetable oil
* Long beans (sitaw) <I'd cut it in 3 inch lengths>
* 1/4 c soy sauce
* 1/4 c Apple cider vinegar <don't stubstitute>

Preparation

* Heat oil then add garlic and onions
* Saute until brown
* Add the sitaw, vinegar and soy sauce (don't overcook)
* Lower heat to medium then add bay leaves and peppercorn
* Stir briefly then simmer, covered
* Add a little water if needed

I'd use less soy/vinegar (1/4c total) and add more water. But be sure
your vinegar and soy are perfectly balanced in flavor, meaning one
flavor doesn't dominate the other.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this turd
> : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
> > In article >,
> > Skyhooks > wrote:
> >
> >> More than likely, nearly everyone on RFC has access to a local farmers'
> >> market where they can shop for seasonal items. What is your favorite
> >> item(s) from a farmers' market and what draws you there?

> > I look for the vegetables my mom grew when I was a kid: new potatoes,
> > green beans, tomatoes, sweet corn, radishes, cukes -- ordinary stuff.
> > What draws me there? Good food.

> Yep. I don't look for exotic or fancy foods. For me it's the usual,
> tomatoes, corn, cabbage, string beans, cucumbers and I also look for
> seasonal fruits. Peaches, pears, berries of all kinds. Sometimes I'll
> find state fair type boots at the Soulard market. They have a funnel cake
> booth, cotton candy etc. I don't go there for that stuff but I've been
> known to nibble on some of it now and then.
>
> Michael

Oh, I especially like the Soulard Market and its history. Whenever I've
been to STL, I always make it a point to go there, even if it's only a
weekday when they're open and oh-so slow. Watching the mini-donut
maker/fryer do its stuff is such a blast Too bad the donuts aren't
as good as they look .... oh well. On weekends, the foot traffic at the
Market is something to contend with. Most of the time when I've gone to
the Soulard Market, I've ridden my bicycle so parking wasn't an issue
for me, which it can be for folks in motorized vehicles.

Another STL "feature" I like not far from the Soulard area is what I
call "The Great Wall of Saint Louis," or should that be "The Great Wall
of the Mississippi" (?)! The graffiti on these Mississippi River flood
retaining walls (very tall!) are truly an artform to be appreciated.
This "Great Wall" starts just south of the Arch as close to the River as
possible and continues for a few miles or so. Anytime I ride my bicycle
at the Arch park, I always go down this route (the River road by the
Arch turns into dirt service road by all the many railroad tracks) to
look at all the stunning graffiti created with spray paint cans (or
whatever). Then it's concrete panel after concrete panel of different
themes, some of them very elaborate! One of the panels even has a "Dr.
Suess" motif to it <g>.

I like the St. Louis area. Hopefully I'll be able to visit it again
like I did before. Bike riding along the Mississippi River from the
"Great Wall" and Arch north to the Chain of Rocks Bridge is so fun!

Sky, who should be bike riding <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:43:35 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> In the summer there is more watermelon than you can shake a stick at
>> and I don't like the taste of watermelon. Don't care for cantaloupe
>> or others, either.

> do you like *any* melon?

Nope. Something about the smell is almost as off-putting to me as the
taste. I don't know why. I love salted roasted watermelon seeds, though!
They were the snack seed of choice in Thailand, much like sunflower seeds
are in the U.S.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:43:35 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> In the summer there is more watermelon than you can shake a stick at
>>> and I don't like the taste of watermelon. Don't care for cantaloupe
>>> or others, either.

>> do you like *any* melon?

> Nope. Something about the smell is almost as off-putting to me as the
> taste. I don't know why.
> Jill

Is that why you shake sticks at them?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> Oh, I especially like the Soulard Market and its history.

It's been awhile since I was at Soulard (over 25 miles for me) but the
last I was there, the vast majority of produce was shipped in except for
some local fruit in season. Most of the vendors were not growers at all
but merely wholesale buyers. The Soulard website...

<http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/soulardmarket/>

....gives almost no information about the vendors, let alone the food.
Contrast that with the Dane County farmers' market in Madison which has
almost all local growers and a website that gives a great deal of detail
on all the growers...

<http://www.madfarmmkt.org/>

I don't know what it is about St. Louis but the demand for quality,
locally grown produce and organic type foods seems quite limited. It's
very perplexing.

Emma
--
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> Oh, I especially like the Soulard Market and its history.

It's been awhile since I was at Soulard (over 25 miles for me) but the
last I was there, the vast majority of produce was shipped in except for
some local fruit in season. Most of the vendors were not growers at all
but merely wholesale buyers. The Soulard website...

<http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/soulardmarket/>

....gives almost no information about the vendors, let alone the food.
Contrast that with the Dane County farmers' market in Madison which has
almost all local growers and a website that gives a great deal of detail
on all the growers...

<http://www.madfarmmkt.org/>

I don't know what it is about St. Louis but the demand for quality,
locally grown produce and organic type foods seems quite limited. It's
very perplexing.

Emma
--
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

> I don't know what it is about St. Louis but the demand for quality,
> locally grown produce and organic type foods seems quite limited.
> It's very perplexing.

Not too long ago, there used to be largish produce farm near me in
North County. They had a farmstand which featured their products. They
had great tomatoes, and grew peaches and apples as well. They had the
last commercial apple orchard in St. Louis county.

Alas and alack, they couldn't turn down the money from housing
developers and sold the land to put up houses.

Brian

won't shut up.