Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crimes against potatoes

This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.

My top 2 would be

1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"

2) Potatoes that get cooked and then get "pureed" in mixers to remove
all traces of texture.

neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my
'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 6:55 am, Steve Y > wrote:
> This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
> is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.
>
> My top 2 would be
>
> 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"
>
> 2) Potatoes that get cooked and then get "pureed" in mixers to remove
> all traces of texture.
>
> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my
> 'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

Yes, when Steak'n Shake French fries sit for 10 minutes, then the
employee puts them back in the fryer to get them hot again. I've seen
this with my own eyes.

> Steve

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
> is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.
>
> My top 2 would be
>
> 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"
>
> 2) Potatoes that get cooked and then get "pureed" in mixers to remove
> all traces of texture.
>
> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my
> 'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

Instant mashed "potatoes".

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
> is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.
>
> My top 2 would be
>
> 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"
>
> 2) Potatoes that get cooked and then get "pureed" in mixers to remove
> all traces of texture.
>
> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my
> 'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?
>
> Steve

Slicing it into strips and deep frying it?
As in French fries? <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > wrote

> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my 'umble
> opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
is Tater Tots.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Steve Y" > wrote
>
>> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my 'umble
>> opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

> I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
> is Tater Tots.
>
> nancy

I do like those. Haven't seen one in years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Steve Y" > wrote
>>
>>> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my
>>> 'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor
>>> spud ?

>> I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
>> is Tater Tots.

> I do like those. Haven't seen one in years.

Tee hee ... I know, otherwise perfectly normal people with
seeming good taste have this aberration. Liking Tater Tots.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BOBOBOnoBO® fka Food Snob" > wrote in message
> Yes, when Steak'n Shake French fries sit for 10 minutes, then the
> employee puts them back in the fryer to get them hot again. I've seen
> this with my own eyes.

How do they taste? One of the methods of making a good fried potato is to
do it in two steps. Fry, cool, fry again to crisp. The second frying may
actually improve them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > wrote in message
> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my 'umble
> opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?
>
> Steve

Pretty much anything in the freezer section labeled "Potato" is going to be
nasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y said...

> Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud?

Put a bag of yukon gold potatoes in the drawer and forget about
'em. When the kitchen starts to stink, REMEMBER THE YUKONS!

About the saddest potato I ever did see was a leftover one in the
fridge. I hope I don't wrinkle up like that when I get old.

I left two russet potatoes in a hot oven all day and when I came
home they were hollow inside, just shells of their former selves.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Giusi" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "Steve Y" > wrote

>>> I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
>>> is Tater Tots.

>> I do like those. Haven't seen one in years.

> Tee hee ... I know, otherwise perfectly normal people with
> seeming good taste have this aberration. Liking Tater Tots.
>
> nancy

Hey! I love them! It's a childhood thing, like some people with grilled
cheese sandwiches and Campbell's tomato soup. But I don't have any in my
freezer at the moment, nor fish sticks, either :P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "BOBOBOnoBO® fka Food Snob" > wrote in message
>> Yes, when Steak'n Shake French fries sit for 10 minutes, then the
>> employee puts them back in the fryer to get them hot again. I've
>> seen this with my own eyes.
>>>

> How do they taste? One of the methods of making a good fried potato
> is to do it in two steps. Fry, cool, fry again to crisp. The
> second frying may actually improve them

I'm piggybacking on your post, Ed (sorry!) I worked at Steak N Shake when I
was in college. I never saw the fries "sit for 10 minutes" and never saw
anyone put fries back in the fryer. I can't speak to what they may do now
but back then they didn't drop fries until an order came in.

They didn't have heat lamps, didn't make burgers or fries ahead of time. We
(as servers) would stand at the end of the counter and yell something like
this: "One steak with cheese, mayo, pickles, tomato" or "Two double steaks
no cheese, mayo, no pickles, lettuce, tomato". They weren't given "tickets"
to cook from and they didn't cook anything ahead of time. Of course, that
was almost 30 years ago. No telling what they do now.

But yes, twice fried potatoes usually are the best. I haven't owned a deep
fryer since around 1995 but I definitely used that method when I made fries

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> Steve Y > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
> > This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> > involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> > resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering
> > what is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.
> >
> > My top 2 would be
> >
> > 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"
> >
> > 2) Potatoes that get cooked and then get "pureed" in mixers to remove
> > all traces of texture.
> >
> > neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my
> > 'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor
> > spud ?
> >
> > Steve

> Dehydrate the potato for instant mashed potatoes. UGH... I really don't
> like 'em except maybe to use as a thickening agent.
>
> Michael

They are good for camping... :-)

But we generally just stuck whole small spuds wrapped in foil into the
campfire coals.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Giusi > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "Steve Y" > wrote
> >
> >> neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my 'umble
> >> opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

> > I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
> > is Tater Tots.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> I do like those. Haven't seen one in years.

They come frozen in bags at the grocery store in the frozen veggies
section. They are also sold at some fast food places like Sonic.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Giusi" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> "Steve Y" > wrote

> >> I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
> >> is Tater Tots.

> > I do like those. Haven't seen one in years.

> Tee hee ... I know, otherwise perfectly normal people with
> seeming good taste have this aberration. Liking Tater Tots.
>
> nancy

They sell them at work sometimes too, along with another interesting
bite sized item, mini-corn fritters. Kinda like a hush puppy, only
sweeter and containing some whole and creamed corn.

Those damned things are addicting! (The corn thingies) I've only allowed
myself to have the two or three times in the last 4 or 5 years. ;-d

Fortunately, now that I work night shift, the dining facility is closed
and only opens right when I leave in the morning so they are never
available.

They do make some mean breakfast tacos tho'.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 9:16 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Steve Y" > wrote
>
> > neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my 'umble
> > opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

> I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
> is Tater Tots.
>
> nancy

You got that one right! Needless to say, the serving of garlic
whipped mashed potatoes should be a misdemeanor...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "BOBOBOnoBO® fka Food Snob" > wrote in message
> > Yes, when Steak'n Shake French fries sit for 10 minutes, then the
> > employee puts them back in the fryer to get them hot again. I've seen
> > this with my own eyes.
> >>

> How do they taste? One of the methods of making a good fried potato is to
> do it in two steps. Fry, cool, fry again to crisp. The second frying may
> actually improve them

I've heard that too, and have considered trying it with yam fries...

but so far the yam fries never lasted long enough to cool completely. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Steve Y" > wrote in message
> > neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my 'umble
> > opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?
> >
> > Steve

> Pretty much anything in the freezer section labeled "Potato" is going to be
> nasty.

Disagree. I bought a fresh frozen veggie mix a couple of weeks ago that
had small red spuds in it and steamed the whole package.

They were quite good!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Steve Y said...
>
> > Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud?

> Put a bag of yukon gold potatoes in the drawer and forget about
> 'em. When the kitchen starts to stink, REMEMBER THE YUKONS!

<lol> Been there, done that, but with red spuds.
Damn that's a nasty smell!

Gaggy to clean it up too as they generally dissolve pretty badly.

> About the saddest potato I ever did see was a leftover one in the
> fridge. I hope I don't wrinkle up like that when I get old.

You mean it didn't sprout?

> I left two russet potatoes in a hot oven all day and when I came
> home they were hollow inside, just shells of their former selves.
>
> Andy

I've seen people screw up microwave potatoes that way.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> >> I do like those. Haven't seen one in years.

> > Tee hee ... I know, otherwise perfectly normal people with
> > seeming good taste have this aberration. Liking Tater Tots.
> >
> > nancy

> Hey! I love them! It's a childhood thing, like some people with grilled
> cheese sandwiches and Campbell's tomato soup. But I don't have any in my
> freezer at the moment, nor fish sticks, either :P

Jill, have you found a good fish stick? I haven't! Do you bake or deep
fry them?

Best fish sticks I have had were ones I made myself a couple of times.
Salmon fillet cut into 1/2" thick strips, dredged lightly in spiced corn
starch and deep fried for 3 minutes.

Dad liked them too. :-) And he's pickier than I am.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "BOBOBOnoBO® fka Food Snob" > wrote in message
> >> Yes, when Steak'n Shake French fries sit for 10 minutes, then the
> >> employee puts them back in the fryer to get them hot again. I've
> >> seen this with my own eyes.
> >>>

> > How do they taste? One of the methods of making a good fried potato
> > is to do it in two steps. Fry, cool, fry again to crisp. The
> > second frying may actually improve them

> I'm piggybacking on your post, Ed (sorry!) I worked at Steak N Shake when I
> was in college. I never saw the fries "sit for 10 minutes" and never saw
> anyone put fries back in the fryer. I can't speak to what they may do now
> but back then they didn't drop fries until an order came in.
>
> They didn't have heat lamps, didn't make burgers or fries ahead of time. We
> (as servers) would stand at the end of the counter and yell something like
> this: "One steak with cheese, mayo, pickles, tomato" or "Two double steaks
> no cheese, mayo, no pickles, lettuce, tomato". They weren't given "tickets"
> to cook from and they didn't cook anything ahead of time. Of course, that
> was almost 30 years ago. No telling what they do now.
>
> But yes, twice fried potatoes usually are the best. I haven't owned a deep
> fryer since around 1995 but I definitely used that method when I made fries
>

> Jill

Ever make twice baked potatoes?
That's a recipe I've not tried yet, but they do look good!
I've considered trying them for a dinner party as they can make a pretty
presentation if done right.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

>> About the saddest potato I ever did see was a leftover one in

the
>> fridge. I hope I don't wrinkle up like that when I get old.

> You mean it didn't sprout?

I forgot to say it was a leftover baked potato. Oops. It would've
made a real sorry looking Mr. Potato Head.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Omelet said...
>
>>> About the saddest potato I ever did see was a leftover one in

> the
>>> fridge. I hope I don't wrinkle up like that when I get old.

>> You mean it didn't sprout?

> I forgot to say it was a leftover baked potato. Oops. It would've
> made a real sorry looking Mr. Potato Head.
>
> Andy

You'll either die too young or you'll get wrinkled. Your choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 8:16?am, Miche > wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Y > wrote:
>
> > This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> > involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> > resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
> > is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.

> > My top 2 would be

> > 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"

> > 2) Potatoes that get cooked and then get "pureed" in mixers to remove
> > all traces of texture.

> > neither of these resemble the dishes theyare supposed to be (in my
> > 'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

> Instant mashed "potatoes".

If you knew how to properly prepare them you wouldn't think that.

Nothing the matter with instant, the major name brands are made from
better and fresher spuds than you can buy at the market. Almost all
potatoes sold at markets are storage potatoes (and they're not even
the highest grade), they taste nothing like fresh dug, like how a
quality potato is supposed to taste. It's just not possible to
prepare good mashed (or any other style) from storage potatoes.
Unless you grow your own or got some freshly dug from a local potato
farmer you haven't a clue how potatoes are supposed to taste...
potatoes age faster than corn... difference is that the sugar in corn
quickly turns to starch and the starch in potatoes even more quickly
turns to sugar. The vast majority have never tasted a proper potato.
And with dehys the few pennies more for the major name brands makes a
huge difference... and of course if you rehydrate with your fercocktah
tap water, probably heated in that ancient scale laden teakettle that
hasn't been cleaned in thirty years, then WTF do you expect.

Storage potatoes simply do not have a flavor (or texture)
representitve of a fresh dug potato. The big commercial processors do
all the "How to choose potatoes" for you, and they choose the best of
the best. The spuds you buy at your market are often six months or
more out of the ground, they're hardly potatoes anymore.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/standards/potatoes.pdf

http://www.ams.usda.gov/howtobuy/potato.htm

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> On Jun 9, 9:16 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I know not everyone feels this way, but what comes to mind
>> is Tater Tots.

> You got that one right! Needless to say, the serving of garlic
> whipped mashed potatoes should be a misdemeanor...

That's right! Never whip potatoes, it's just wrong!

By the way, I didn't say it, but I am jealous of your plan to go to
the garlic festival. Being there are eight home games (football)
this year, I wonder if I'll get to go anywhere at all this fall.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "Giusi" > wrote

>>> Tee hee ... I know, otherwise perfectly normal people with
>>> seeming good taste have this aberration. Liking Tater Tots.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Hey! I love them! It's a childhood thing, like some people with
>> grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's tomato soup. But I don't
>> have any in my freezer at the moment, nor fish sticks, either :P

> Jill, have you found a good fish stick? I haven't! Do you bake or deep
> fry them?

Baked. I don't deep fry stuff; not that I'm worried about fat or calories,
I simply haven't owned a deep fryer in years.

Oddly enough the best fish sticks are the cheap ones. I think Fisher Boy is
the brand; they are breaded, not battered, and made from Atlantic cod. I
haven't bought any in a long time. But I was sadly disappointed by the more
expensive brands, like Gorton's and Mrs. Paul's.

> Best fish sticks I have had were ones I made myself a couple of times.
> Salmon fillet cut into 1/2" thick strips, dredged lightly in spiced
> corn starch and deep fried for 3 minutes.

I'm still not a fan of salmon fillets. I don't know what it is about them,
I am just not impressed.

> Dad liked them too. :-) And he's pickier than I am.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>> But yes, twice fried potatoes usually are the best. I haven't owned
>> a deep fryer since around 1995 but I definitely used that method
>> when I made fries
>>
>> Jill

> Ever make twice baked potatoes?
> That's a recipe I've not tried yet, but they do look good!
> I've considered trying them for a dinner party as they can make a
> pretty presentation if done right.

Oh absolutely! I've often made twice baked potatoes. Add some cheese,
crumbled bacon, chives if you like when you spoon the mixture back into the
potato shells. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> >> About the saddest potato I ever did see was a leftover one in

> the
> >> fridge. I hope I don't wrinkle up like that when I get old.

> > You mean it didn't sprout?

> I forgot to say it was a leftover baked potato. Oops. It would've
> made a real sorry looking Mr. Potato Head.
>
> Andy

Oh.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>>> But yes, twice fried potatoes usually are the best. I haven't owned
>>> a deep fryer since around 1995 but I definitely used that method
>>> when I made fries
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Ever make twice baked potatoes?
>> That's a recipe I've not tried yet, but they do look good!
>> I've considered trying them for a dinner party as they can make a
>> pretty presentation if done right.

> Oh absolutely! I've often made twice baked potatoes. Add some
> cheese, crumbled bacon, chives if you like when you spoon the mixture
> back into the potato shells. Yum!

Home made twiced baked potatoes is a good reason to get outa bed...But
only if you rough smash the potatoes innards...Don't make them whipped!

Mix in cheese, diced cooked mushroom, diced cooked red bell peppera and
some caramelized onin...top with more shredded cheese and return to the
oven till the cheese melts. Um Um good!

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> > Jill, have you found a good fish stick? I haven't! Do you bake or deep
> > fry them?
> >

> Baked. I don't deep fry stuff; not that I'm worried about fat or calories,
> I simply haven't owned a deep fryer in years.
>
> Oddly enough the best fish sticks are the cheap ones. I think Fisher Boy is
> the brand; they are breaded, not battered, and made from Atlantic cod. I
> haven't bought any in a long time. But I was sadly disappointed by the more
> expensive brands, like Gorton's and Mrs. Paul's.

Huh. That might be my problem. I've only ever tried the pricier ones.

> > Best fish sticks I have had were ones I made myself a couple of times.
> > Salmon fillet cut into 1/2" thick strips, dredged lightly in spiced
> > corn starch and deep fried for 3 minutes.
> >

> I'm still not a fan of salmon fillets. I don't know what it is about them,
> I am just not impressed.

I was not much of a salmon fan either until I started trying the farm
raised. The wild has a sharp metallic flavor that just does not appeal.

Catfish "nuggets" treated the same as above are even better tho', just
more work to prepare. Same for chicken breast tenders.

I get a crispier coating using corn starch instead of corn meal or wheat
flour. Sometimes I mix it with rice flour if I have any on hand.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> >> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> >> But yes, twice fried potatoes usually are the best. I haven't owned
> >> a deep fryer since around 1995 but I definitely used that method
> >> when I made fries
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Ever make twice baked potatoes?
> > That's a recipe I've not tried yet, but they do look good!
> > I've considered trying them for a dinner party as they can make a
> > pretty presentation if done right.

> Oh absolutely! I've often made twice baked potatoes. Add some cheese,
> crumbled bacon, chives if you like when you spoon the mixture back into the
> potato shells. Yum!

Thanks. :-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> >> Ever make twice baked potatoes?
> >> That's a recipe I've not tried yet, but they do look good!
> >> I've considered trying them for a dinner party as they can make a
> >> pretty presentation if done right.

> > Oh absolutely! I've often made twice baked potatoes. Add some
> > cheese, crumbled bacon, chives if you like when you spoon the mixture
> > back into the potato shells. Yum!
> >

> Home made twiced baked potatoes is a good reason to get outa bed...But
> only if you rough smash the potatoes innards...Don't make them whipped!
>
> Mix in cheese, diced cooked mushroom, diced cooked red bell peppera and
> some caramelized onin...top with more shredded cheese and return to the
> oven till the cheese melts. Um Um good!

There seem to be a number of ways to prepare these. :-)

I'd probably keep it simple with some garlic, jack cheese, bacon bits
and some chives, then top with grated parmesan maybe?

Diced cooked mushrooms sound interesting but I prefer to serve mushrooms
sliced or whole as a veggie by themselves most of the time.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
> This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
> is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.
>
> My top 2 would be
>
> 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"

This is a useful technique, IMO, to make hash browns but never for a
baked potato. The outside should be rubbed with oil and kosher salt and
wrapped in foil.

> 2) Potatoes that get cooked and then get "pureed" in mixers to remove
> all traces of texture.

Yeah, my MIL does this. I didn't believe that it was possible to ruin
mashed potatoes, but apparently it is.

--
-Gina in Italy

Sig Not Found.

If found, return to me promptly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:
> Steve Y wrote:
> > This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> > involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> > resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
> > is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.

> > My top 2 would be

> > 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"

> for a baked potato. The outside should be rubbed with oil and
> kosher salt and wrapped in foil.

Baked while wrapped in foil spuds may as well be nuked, in fact nuked
is better, a lot better.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> ravenlynne wrote:
> > Steve Y wrote:
> > > This was prompted by a neighbour who threatened to invite me to a meal
> > > involving "mousseline", a French chemical product that is supposed to
> > > resemble mashed potatoes and doesn't . This lead me to considering what
> > > is the worst thing that you can do to a real potato.

> > > My top 2 would be

> > > 1) Microwaved spuds that are called "baked"

> > for a baked potato. The outside should be rubbed with oil and
> > kosher salt and wrapped in foil.

> Baked while wrapped in foil spuds may as well be nuked, in fact nuked
> is better, a lot better.
>
> Sheldon

Ok, so how do you nuke your spuds?

Roasting them on the wood grill, foil is pretty much necessary to keep
them from drying out. Same as in the oven.

I speed cooking by using a spike thru the middle of them. Mom taught me
that when I was first learning to cook from her. :-)

Those really big steel nails from the hardware store work ok, but
aluminum potato spikes work better. Goes against my usual prejudice on
using aluminum to cook, but I will compromise sometimes and spuds are
not acidic.

For nuking, I wrap them in wax paper and put them in a ziplock with a
little water. IMHO there is nothing wrong with nuking potatoes if it's
done properly.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 12:40?pm, Omelet > wrote:

> > Baked while wrapped in foil spuds may as well be nuked, in fact nuked
> > is better, a lot better.

> > Sheldon

> Ok, so how do you nuke your spuds?

Not very often. Poke a few holes and let her rip. But I don't delude
myself by calling them baked. .. essentially they're steamed... nuked
too long and you have dehys, if they don't ignite. Wrapped in waxed
paper is creating a miniature pressure processor, them's burled, to
death.

> Roasting them on the wood grill, foil is pretty much necessary to keep
> them from drying out. Same as in the oven.

Nonsense. Baked spuds are supposed to be dry... supposta replace the
lost moisture with budder, sour cream, chicken schmaltz, whatever fat
of your choice.

Of course if you've never had a "micky" then you've never had a real
baked spud.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Jun 9, 12:40?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > > Baked while wrapped in foil spuds may as well be nuked, in fact nuked
> > > is better, a lot better.

> > > Sheldon

> > Ok, so how do you nuke your spuds?

> Not very often. Poke a few holes and let her rip. But I don't delude
> myself by calling them baked. .. essentially they're steamed... nuked
> too long and you have dehys, if they don't ignite. Wrapped in waxed
> paper is creating a miniature pressure processor, them's burled, to
> death.
>
> > Roasting them on the wood grill, foil is pretty much necessary to keep
> > them from drying out. Same as in the oven.

> Nonsense. Baked spuds are supposed to be dry... supposta replace the
> lost moisture with budder, sour cream, chicken schmaltz, whatever fat
> of your choice.
>
> Of course if you've never had a "micky" then you've never had a real
> baked spud.
>
> Sheldon

I think that will only work with russets tho' as they have a thicker
skin. I don't buy russets. I use Yukon golds or red skins. They are
thinner and I think they really do need the protection. I don't like
Russets.

Try it. :-)

It IS the way they do it at Restaurants! I've never been served a baked
spud without foil on the outside, and an oil/salt treatment on the skin.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> 'umble opinion) . Can anyone think of worst crimes against the poor spud ?

1. Pringles. Maybe you are lucky and don't have them there. They come
in a cardboard tube and faintly resemble a potato chip, except they are
all identical and taste bad.

2. Flavored potato chips. Generally have way too much salt and the
flavors taste fake (probably because they are).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Ok, so how do you nuke your spuds?
>
> Roasting them on the wood grill, foil is pretty much necessary to keep
> them from drying out. Same as in the oven.

I think the whole point of any potato roasting/grilling is to get that
nice, slightly crispy, nutty tasting skin. Browning brings a lot of
taste to food.

I just did grilled chicken yesterday and grilled some yukon golds. I did
nothing but wash them and give them a couple pokes with the tip of the
knife. They were so good that nothing was necessary except to cut up and
eat.

As an aside it always reminds me of a kid raking leaves. A treat was to
put potatoes into the base of the pile and let them roast in the hot ash
when we burned the leaves.

> I speed cooking by using a spike thru the middle of them. Mom taught me
> that when I was first learning to cook from her. :-)
>
> Those really big steel nails from the hardware store work ok, but
> aluminum potato spikes work better. Goes against my usual prejudice on
> using aluminum to cook, but I will compromise sometimes and spuds are
> not acidic.
>
> For nuking, I wrap them in wax paper and put them in a ziplock with a
> little water. IMHO there is nothing wrong with nuking potatoes if it's
> done properly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>>>>

>>> How do they taste? One of the methods of making a good fried potato
>>> is to do it in two steps. Fry, cool, fry again to crisp. The
>>> second frying may actually improve them

>> I'm piggybacking on your post, Ed (sorry!) I worked at Steak N
>> Shake when I was in college. I never saw the fries "sit for 10
>> minutes" and never saw anyone put fries back in the fryer. I can't
>> speak to what they may do now but back then they didn't drop fries
>> until an order came in.
>>
>> They didn't have heat lamps, didn't make burgers or fries ahead of
>> time. We (as servers) would stand at the end of the counter and
>> yell something like this: "One steak with cheese, mayo, pickles,
>> tomato" or "Two double steaks no cheese, mayo, no pickles, lettuce,
>> tomato". They weren't given "tickets" to cook from and they didn't
>> cook anything ahead of time. Of course, that was almost 30 years
>> ago. No telling what they do now.
>>
>> But yes, twice fried potatoes usually are the best. I haven't owned
>> a deep fryer since around 1995 but I definitely used that method
>> when I made fries
>>
>> Jill

> Ever make twice baked potatoes?
> That's a recipe I've not tried yet, but they do look good!
> I've considered trying them for a dinner party as they can make a
> pretty presentation if done right.

I'm the queen of twice baked; it's the only way, AFAIC. To my potato
insides I usually add butter, sour cream, chopped broccoli, bacon and
cheese. (Or what ever else is appropriate that needs to go.) Stuff back in
and broil. They come out cheesy, gooey and yummy. Oh, but wait a bit
before serving; they're really hot!

kili