Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Red bell peppers surprise.

Bought a 2-pack of red bell peppers at TJs the other day and pulled them
out of the fridge for a snack today. I eat 'em raw in diet mode.

After coring them both they weighed 14.25 oz. (total edible). Very dense
and thick walled.

I took a large bite and "how sweet it is!!!" About the juiciest I ever ate
with water dripping down my hand. Still a perfect combo of crunchy AND
juicy.

AWESOME.

Ate 'em up quick.

I noticed the label said "Product of Holland." Well surprise, surprise! And
I thought they only grew tulips and marijuana! Shazam!

Now I'll have to grab a red bell from the produce market and see if it
doesn't pass my new standard of excellence.

What a surprise.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Bought a 2-pack of red bell peppers at TJs the other day and pulled them
> out of the fridge for a snack today. I eat 'em raw in diet mode.
>
> After coring them both they weighed 14.25 oz. (total edible). Very dense
> and thick walled.
>
> I took a large bite and "how sweet it is!!!" About the juiciest I ever ate
> with water dripping down my hand. Still a perfect combo of crunchy AND
> juicy.

I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Bought a 2-pack of red bell peppers at TJs the other day and pulled them
>> out of the fridge for a snack today. I eat 'em raw in diet mode.
>>
>> After coring them both they weighed 14.25 oz. (total edible). Very dense
>> and thick walled.
>>
>> I took a large bite and "how sweet it is!!!" About the juiciest I ever ate
>> with water dripping down my hand. Still a perfect combo of crunchy AND
>> juicy.
>>

> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

Dirt cheap here - and the whole family loves them. Raw or cooked. Bonus.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

Same here pretty much. Price goes up from green to yellow to red. The TJs 2-
pack cost $4.11. At the produce stand, reds are $1.79/ea., on average.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Bought a 2-pack of red bell peppers at TJs the other day and pulled
> them out of the fridge for a snack today. I eat 'em raw in diet mode.
>
> After coring them both they weighed 14.25 oz. (total edible). Very
> dense and thick walled.
>
> I took a large bite and "how sweet it is!!!" About the juiciest I
> ever ate with water dripping down my hand. Still a perfect combo of
> crunchy AND juicy.
>
> AWESOME.
>
> Ate 'em up quick.
>
> I noticed the label said "Product of Holland." Well surprise,
> surprise! And I thought they only grew tulips and marijuana! Shazam!
>
> Now I'll have to grab a red bell from the produce market and see if it
> doesn't pass my new standard of excellence.
>
> What a surprise.
>
> Andy

Wow! Sounds awesome, Andy. I've got to go to our local Farmer's Market to
see if peppers are reasonably priced around here.

I'm thinking of possibilities of dishes for you. For using peppers......if
nothing else there are always taco (fajita) style dishes that can be
prepared. You can eat shrimp, can't you? I think those are lower in
purines than mollusks, so they're allowed. I know you can have mushrooms
and spinach - yum - I can't have spinach anymore, you're lucky.

Anyway, if I can help you come up with some cooking ideas, give me a holler.
We're both basically on a similar diet.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote:

> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

Extremely easy to grow: http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt

http://www.burpee.com/product/vegeta...rrivals&page=1

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Extremely easy to grow: http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt

Yup. We grow them here too, in our summer. Unfortunately it's winter
here now, so I have to buy them. I seem to recall that you grew some
nice peppers in your garden too?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

> I'm thinking of possibilities of dishes for you. For using
> peppers......if nothing else there are always taco (fajita) style dishes
> that can be prepared. You can eat shrimp, can't you? I think those are
> lower in purines than mollusks, so they're allowed. I know you can have
> mushrooms and spinach - yum - I can't have spinach anymore, you're
> lucky.
>
> Anyway, if I can help you come up with some cooking ideas, give me a
> holler. We're both basically on a similar diet.
>
> kili

kili,

My diet is shaping up to be a high "complex" carb, low protein, low sodium,
low cholesterol, low fat diet. Most of my main dishes will be brown rice
"jambalaya" or whole wheat pasta style dishes with a kitchen sink of
allowable veggies tossed in, low processed sugar desserts and fruits.

Since I'm cooking for me only, I don't go through the trouble of cooking a
four course meal and then only get a few nibbles of each dish. Too much
trouble. Why just yesterday I had a side of spanish rice with a side of
coleslaw. Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

I'll holler at you sooner or later, nicely. Promise!

<smootch>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 10:23 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Bought a 2-pack of red bell peppers at TJs the other day and pulled them
> out of the fridge for a snack today. I eat 'em raw in diet mode.
>
> After coring them both they weighed 14.25 oz. (total edible). Very dense
> and thick walled.
>
> I took a large bite and "how sweet it is!!!" About the juiciest I ever ate
> with water dripping down my hand. Still a perfect combo of crunchy AND
> juicy.
>
> AWESOME.
>
> Ate 'em up quick.
>
> I noticed the label said "Product of Holland." Well surprise, surprise! And
> I thought they only grew tulips and marijuana! Shazam!
>
> Now I'll have to grab a red bell from the produce market and see if it
> doesn't pass my new standard of excellence.
>
> What a surprise.
>
> Andy

Costco red peppers in a 6-pack (and they also have a mixed pack of 6
- 2 ea of yellow, orange and red) are usually "Product of Holland."
Normal pricing for the last couple of years have been $$.80 to $1.00
each.

A week or so ago at another store, they had LONG-LONG red bell
peppers, tasted almost the same, but a wee-bit hot, which I had never
had before. They weren't the typical Mexican peppers. Absolutely
delicious.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> After coring them both they weighed 14.25 oz. (total edible). Very dense
> and thick walled.
>
> I took a large bite and "how sweet it is!!!" About the juiciest I ever ate
> with water dripping down my hand. Still a perfect combo of crunchy AND
> juicy.

Could they have been pimentos?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 12:54 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
> > After coring them both they weighed 14.25 oz. (total edible). Very dense
> > and thick walled.

> > I took a large bite and "how sweet it is!!!" About the juiciest I ever ate
> > with water dripping down my hand. Still a perfect combo of crunchy AND
> > juicy.

> Could they have been pimentos?

Here is a bit more about Holland chilies at
http://www.recipehound.com/chile_fresh.html

which is what I must have bought at another Costo which I described in
my last post as being the longer red bell pepper.

DUTCH (red)
Source: Holland. Heat; 6. Also known as the Holland chile. Bright
scarlet, slightly curved, and tapering to a point. Measures about 4
inches long and 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Thick fleshed; has a
sweet, hot, and intense flavor. This chile is a new hybrid cultivar
developed for the booming Dutch export trade in specialty produce. It
was probably bred from an Indonesian variety. It can be substituted
for the red Thai chile or the red Fresno chile. Commonly used in
salsas and as a decorative element in soups and stews. It can be
roasted and blended into sauces and can also be pickled (en
escabeche). Back to top.

It is difficult (for me, anyway) to find a pimento anywhere. One can
tell by the shape, if one already knows what they do look like. I
would describe them as being more heart shaped.

Many years ago on a trip to "Yugoslavia" I was served a 'side dish' a
BOWL of red peppers. I'll never forget the joy.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Van Van is offline

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> "cybercat" wrote:
>>
>> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

> Extremely easy to grow: http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt
>

> http://www.burpee.com/product/vegeta...rrivals&page=1
>
> Sheldon

That's why I put in 8 or so red bell pepper plants this year. Our local
supermarket seems to think that $3.99 a pound is a fair price for reds (and
yellows/orange peppers) while I know they'll drop the green peppers to 99
cents a pound fairly soon I think.

$3.99??? sheee-it. Grow my own, baby.

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Van said...

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> "cybercat" wrote:
>>>
>>> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here,
>>> though.

>> Extremely easy to grow: http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt
>>

>> http://www.burpee.com/product/vegeta...weet+pepper+ch
>> inese+giant+-+1+pkt.+%28100+seeds%29.do?search=basic&keyword=be ll+pepper
>> &sortby=newArrivals&page=1
>>
>> Sheldon

> That's why I put in 8 or so red bell pepper plants this year. Our local
> supermarket seems to think that $3.99 a pound is a fair price for reds
> (and yellows/orange peppers) while I know they'll drop the green peppers
> to 99 cents a pound fairly soon I think.
>
> $3.99??? sheee-it. Grow my own, baby.
>
> Van

I'd certainly grow them if my yard wasn't in the shade 90% of the day.

Do deer eat red peppers?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

>> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

> Dirt cheap here - and the whole family loves them. Raw or cooked. Bonus.
> --

I'm going to grow my own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 11:29?am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Extremely easy to grow:http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt

> Yup. We grow them here too, in our summer. Unfortunately it's winter
> here now, so I have to buy them. I seem to recall that you grew some
> nice peppers in your garden too?

I grow bells and some version of hot pepper. I grow a lot more than I
can use. The bell peppers can be frozen as is but I usually saute
them with onions and then freeze in plastic containers, cooked they
take little space. The hot peppers I preserve by pickling, my jar
from last year is nearly empty.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 3:25�pm, "Van" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > "cybercat" wrote:

> >> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

> > Extremely easy to grow:http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt

> >http://www.burpee.com/product/vegeta...t/sweet+pepper...

> > Sheldon

> That's why I put in 8 or so red bell pepper plants this year. *

Actually all bell peppers are green first... they turn red as they
ripen. Only those that turn to a color other than red are listed by
color... red is the default.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 3:31�pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Van said...
>

> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> roups.com...

> >> Extremely easy to grow:http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt

> >>http://www.burpee.com/product/vegeta...weet+pepper+ch
> >> inese+giant+-+1+pkt.+%28100+seeds%29.do?search=basic&keyword=be ll+pepper
> >> &sortby=newArrivals&page=1

> >> Sheldon

> > That's why I put in 8 or so red bell pepper plants this year. *Our local
> > supermarket seems to think that $3.99 a pound is a fair price for reds
> > (and yellows/orange peppers) while I know they'll drop the green peppers
> > to 99 cents a pound fairly soon I think.

> > $3.99??? *sheee-it. *Grow my own, baby.

> > Van

> I'd certainly grow them if my yard wasn't in the shade 90% of the day.

Must be the prison exercise yard... or you have too many trees.

> Do deer eat red peppers?

I'm pretty sure deer are color blind, they eat everything.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Van wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>"cybercat" wrote:
>>
>>>I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

>>Extremely easy to grow: http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt
>>

>>http://www.burpee.com/product/vegeta...rrivals&page=1
>>
>>Sheldon

> That's why I put in 8 or so red bell pepper plants this year. Our local
> supermarket seems to think that $3.99 a pound is a fair price for reds (and
> yellows/orange peppers) while I know they'll drop the green peppers to 99
> cents a pound fairly soon I think.
>
> $3.99??? sheee-it. Grow my own, baby.
>
> Van

Just about any "bell" pepper ripens red, the cost associated with them
in supermarkets is because it costs more to raise them to the ripe stage
than it does to pick them green. One of our favorite sweet chiles is
"Gypsy", starts out yellow, ripens to a gold with red blush. Good for
eating fresh, freezing, baking, frying, grilling, whatever you want. We
normally plant six plants per season and can harvest ten to twelve
chiles from each plant. More than enough for two people.

Another good one to plant is Big Bertha, standard green bell pepper but
huge in size, good tasting.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Van" > wrote:

> That's why I put in 8 or so red bell pepper plants this year. Our local
> supermarket seems to think that $3.99 a pound is a fair price for reds (and
> yellows/orange peppers) while I know they'll drop the green peppers to 99
> cents a pound fairly soon I think.
>
> $3.99??? sheee-it. Grow my own, baby.

It's one of those chasing your tail things. The price is so high that
people don't buy them. Reds keep less well than greens, so they
probably have to throw half of them away. That means they have to
charge a lot to cover the waste. If you find a place that sells a lot
of reds, the price is still higher, but not that much. Note also that
since reds are ripe greens, they come into season later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote
>>> I love snacking on raw red peppers. They are so expensive here, though.

>> Dirt cheap here - and the whole family loves them. Raw or cooked. Bonus.
>> --

> I'm going to grow my own.

Good plot
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 May 2007 13:03:54 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>On May 29, 11:29?am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> > Extremely easy to grow:http://tinyurl.com/yvg5gt

>> Yup. We grow them here too, in our summer. Unfortunately it's winter
>> here now, so I have to buy them. I seem to recall that you grew some
>> nice peppers in your garden too?

>I grow bells and some version of hot pepper. I grow a lot more than I
>can use. The bell peppers can be frozen as is but I usually saute
>them with onions and then freeze in plastic containers, cooked they
>take little space. The hot peppers I preserve by pickling, my jar
>from last year is nearly empty.
>
>Sheldon

Sheldon, What process do you use to preserve the hot peppers and do
they retain their heat?
Thamks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Allan Matthews wrote:

> Sheldon, What process do you use to preserve the hot peppers and do
> they retain their heat?

Half white vinegar, half water.... you can add some salt but I don't.
They lose no heat, in fact the heat from the seeds is released and it
permeates the flesh, so along with the acid I think they taste mo'
hotter.

A lotta jalapenos just about ready:
http://i7.tinypic.com/4kw1bv9.jpg

Here's a daily harvest containing green bell peppers... and I'm sure
some of yoose gals will appreciate my special hybrid eggplant:
http://i19.tinypic.com/4zldls4.jpg

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Nobody's gonna bite at this one?
>
> Bummer.

Most people have figured out you're a puzder.

Bell peppers Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 25 29-07-2012 07:28 PM
canned bell peppers dave Preserving 2 18-07-2012 09:53 AM
HUGE Bell Peppers! [email protected] General Cooking 16 16-01-2007 07:29 PM
Bell Peppers [email protected] General Cooking 10 27-12-2005 02:20 PM
Using Bell Peppers (8) Collection Andy & Shell Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 07:53 PM