Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Too many avocados

A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

Diane M

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in
t:

> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given
> to friends. I've been using them in salads every day, but I
> need some good ideas on how to use them. I know guacamole and
> topping fajitas or using in sandwiches. Does anyone have any
> other ideas.....please!
>
> Diane M

Enter the word 'avocados' here
http://recipesearch.googlepages.com/

This recipe search engine link was poster by Mike on May 3.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 2007, at 3:33?pm, dianem1999 wrote:

> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados...
> but I need some good ideas on how
> to use them.

Chilled Avocado Soup
(attribution unknown)

2 ripe avocados, pitted and halved
1 14-1/2 oz. can chicken broth or use
homemade chicken stock, if available
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (full or reduced fat)
1/4 teaspoon salt
several drops of Tabasco sauce, to taste
paprika to sprinkle on top

Scoop out avocado pulp. Place the pulp in the
food processor with broth, sour cream, salt and
Tabasco sauce. Process until smooth. Refrigerate.
Add an additional dollop of sour cream or yogurt
if desired. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.

This makes about 3 cups and can be multiplied as
needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
> I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
> to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
> Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!
>
> Diane M

Here's another avocado soup recipe I saved that was originally posted on
RFR (rec.food.recipes) back in November 2006.

************************************

From - Sat Nov 04 22:10:13 2006
From: "Judy Bolton" >
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Avocado Soup With Ancho Cream
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 03:21:28 +0000 (UTC)

Avocado Soup With Ancho Cream

Serve this creamy, chilled soup as a refreshing first course.

Soup
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
2 large ripe avocados (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved, pitted, peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup whipping cream

Ancho Cream
1 large dried ancho chile*
1/4 cup whipping cream

For soup: Combine 1 cup vegetable broth and next 3 ingredients in
processor; blend until smooth. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups broth and blend.
Transfer to large bowl. Stir in cream. Cover and refrigerate at least 1
hour and up to 1 day. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

For ancho cream: Stem chile, halve, and remove seeds. Heat small skillet
over medium heat. Add chile and toast pieces on each side until pliable
and aromatic, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes. Transfer chile to
small bowl and add hot water just to cover. Soak until soft, about 30
minutes. Drain water; transfer chile to mini processor and puree.
Strain ancho puree into small bowl, pressing on solids. Place whipping
cream in another small bowl; whisk in 1 tablespoon ancho puree. Chill
ancho cream until ready to use.

Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Drizzle ancho cream over and serve.

*Ancho chiles are dried poblanos. They are available at some
supermarkets, at specialty foods stores, and at Latin markets.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appetit
Barbara Pool Fenzl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
t...
>A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
>I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
>to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
>Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

Send 'em to me! They're currently $1.99 each here. I LOVE avocados--we
probably eat 4-5 of them every week.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dianem1 wrote:
> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
> I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
> to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
> Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

http://www.avocado.org

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aaarrrghhhh!!!!!.....TOO MANY?....There's never *TOO MANY*!!!!!! Send'em my
way!!!!<G>

Years ago, Mom used to make me Avocado Sandwiches for school. Bread (your
choice), Mayo, (again your choice and what ever amount *seems* right), maybe
some lettuce, and, of course, mashed Avocado. Don't remember if she put any
lemon juice on it or not.

At lunch time, the other kids would look at my sandwich and proclaim, "It's
GREEN!!" To which I'd reply, "But it tastes GOOD!!!"....."But it's
GREEN!!!!!" Never traded a sandwich, or *wanted* to.

Eric

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Eric Ferguson wrote:

> Aaarrrghhhh!!!!!.....TOO MANY?....There's never *TOO MANY*!!!!!! Send'em my
> way!!!!<G>
>
> Years ago, Mom used to make me Avocado Sandwiches for school. Bread (your
> choice), Mayo, (again your choice and what ever amount *seems* right), maybe
> some lettuce, and, of course, mashed Avocado. Don't remember if she put any
> lemon juice on it or not.
>
> At lunch time, the other kids would look at my sandwich and proclaim, "It's
> GREEN!!" To which I'd reply, "But it tastes GOOD!!!"....."But it's
> GREEN!!!!!" Never traded a sandwich, or *wanted* to.
>
> Eric

LOL, quite funny <g>! I can relate all too well. As a kid, I wouldn't
try avocados because they were green. But, I happen to like them a lot
now as an adult. However, I still won't eat cooked green veggies ')
Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in
t:

> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to
> friends. I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some
> good ideas on how to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas
> or using in sandwiches. Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

The only other thing I can think of is to use halved ones as bowls for
prawn cocktail or similar (you scoop out some avocado with each bite of
seafood). Oh, or wrap prosciutto around wedges for hors d'ouvres.
Something tells me they'd be good with nuts, but I don't have in
inspiration right now as to how.

I know some people cook them in various ways. To me they taste kind of
stale or even rotten when cooked, but YMMV If you find you like them
cooked, you can stuff or top various meats with them, chop them into a
pasta bake, mash them into creamy soups etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Amarantha > wrote:

>I know some people cook them in various ways. To me they taste kind of
>stale or even rotten when cooked, but YMMV

Cooked with chorizo into a bun can be very good.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Amarantha wrote:
> " > wrote in
> t:
>
>> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to
>> friends. I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some
>> good ideas on how to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas
>> or using in sandwiches. Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!
>>

> The only other thing I can think of is to use halved ones as bowls for
> prawn cocktail or similar (you scoop out some avocado with each bite
> of seafood).

I was thinking along those same lines - tuna or shrimp salad. Avocados are
also good drizzled with Italian dressing and eaten as is.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> I was thinking along those same lines - tuna or shrimp salad. Avocados are
> also good drizzled with Italian dressing and eaten as is.

My mother's standard salad when I was growing up was lettuce,
tomato, cucumber, and avocado, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled
with salt. I like it even soggy later. The more avocado, the better.

I can also eat a big bowl of avocado by itself, but I adore the things.

Guacamole is obvious, but it's a good way to use up six or eight
ripe avocados.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 May, 06:33, " >
wrote:
> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
> I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
> to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
> Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!
>
> Diane M

Shushi! Or make sandwiches, love having them in sandwiches

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 May, 10:06, "MareCat" > wrote:
> " > wrote in message
>
> t...
>
> >A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
> >I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
> >to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
> >Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

> Send 'em to me! They're currently $1.99 each here. I LOVE avocados--we
> probably eat 4-5 of them every week.
>
> Mary

same here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 May 2007 03:57:29 -0700, dee > wrote:

>On 24 May, 06:33, " >
>wrote:
>> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
>> I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
>> to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
>> Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!
>>
>> Diane M

>Shushi! Or make sandwiches, love having them in sandwiches

When the avocados are falling, I use them instead of mayonnaise in my
daily sandwich. Of course, they can be our "vegetable" every night
too. Lemon and a sprinkle of salt make them yummy veggies instead of
the frozen veggies, salad, or whatever.

aloha from avocado land,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On May 23, 3:33 pm, " >
wrote:
> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
> I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
> to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
> Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

No one has mentioned the old-fashioned but very tasty dinner salad:
Remove the wedges from a fresh red or pink grapefruit, leaving the
membrane behind. On a leaf or bed of lettuce, alternate avocado
slices with the grapefruit sections (supremes), and drizzle with a
vinaigrette. Regular red wine vinegar will be better for this than
balsamic. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 1:27 pm, aem > wrote:
> On May 23, 3:33 pm, " >
> wrote:> A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
> > I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
> > to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
> > Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

> No one has mentioned the old-fashioned but very tasty dinner salad:
> Remove the wedges from a fresh red or pink grapefruit, leaving the
> membrane behind. On a leaf or bed of lettuce, alternate avocado
> slices with the grapefruit sections (supremes), and drizzle with a
> vinaigrette. Regular red wine vinegar will be better for this than
> balsamic. -aem

My grandfather had an avocado grove in Escondido in the 30', 40's and
50's. It's hard for me to imagine having too many avocados. I sure get
some bad ones at the store, however. My favorite old-style way of
eating them is to just cut in half and scoop. In the good-old-days I
also (or rather my mom) mashed them with a bit of mayonnaise and
spread on bread for a sandwich. Although I love guacamole, and all the
varieties of using avocados, I still consider them a stand-alone fruit
worthy of cutting and eating. Jane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
aem > wrote:

> No one has mentioned the old-fashioned but very tasty dinner salad:
> Remove the wedges from a fresh red or pink grapefruit, leaving the
> membrane behind. On a leaf or bed of lettuce, alternate avocado
> slices with the grapefruit sections (supremes), and drizzle with a
> vinaigrette. Regular red wine vinegar will be better for this than
> balsamic. -aem

Hey, I've missed you! I hope you've not been in poor health. Nice to
see you again.

I like to smush some avocado on a slice of bread, dust with a little s&p
and eat it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
wrote:
> spread on bread for a sandwich. Although I love guacamole, and all the
> varieties of using avocados, I still consider them a stand-alone fruit
> worthy of cutting and eating. Jane

Hear, hear!!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121
> Pambo forced Melba's Jammin' > to post
> this at: rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > aem > wrote:
> >

> > > No one has mentioned the old-fashioned but very tasty dinner
> > > salad: Remove the wedges from a fresh red or pink grapefruit,
> > > leaving the membrane behind. On a leaf or bed of lettuce,
> > > alternate avocado slices with the grapefruit sections (supremes),
> > > and drizzle with a vinaigrette. Regular red wine vinegar will be
> > > better for this than balsamic. -aem

> > Hey, I've missed you! I hope you've not been in poor health. Nice
> > to see you again.
> >
> > I like to smush some avocado on a slice of bread, dust with a
> > little s&p and eat it.

> I love avocados. I like 'em smooshed onto a Triscuit. If I have
> some, a bit of sliced tomato goes nicely too.
>
> Michael

LOL! Sometimes, I'll cut an avacado in half and useit as the "dip bowl".
Meaning that I just scoop out the avacado *with* a chip or cracker. The
avacado *must* be very ripe, the riper the better. ;-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121
> Pambo forced " BOB" > to post this at:
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > LOL! Sometimes, I'll cut an avacado in half and useit as the "dip
> > bowl". Meaning that I just scoop out the avacado *with* a chip or
> > cracker. The avacado *must* be very ripe, the riper the better. ;-)
> >
> > BOB

> I agree. When the avocado is really ripe, it is almost like a butter
> or spread all by itself.
>
> Michael

Eating some as I type (yes, it's messy ;-) ) on wheat thins.

Better'n buddah!

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On May 27, 4:15 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> Hey, I've missed you! I hope you've not been in poor health. Nice to
> see you again.

Thanks, health is fine. I've basically decided to post only when I
actually have something concrete and relevant to offer. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> On May 27, 4:15 am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> > Hey, I've missed you! I hope you've not been in poor health. Nice to
> > see you again.

> Thanks, health is fine. I've basically decided to post only when I
> actually have something concrete and relevant to offer. -aem

That's contrary to the spirit of Usenet newsgroups.
If we all did that, this place would be pretty quiet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 May 2007 13:46:36 -0700, aem > wrote:

>On May 27, 4:15 am, Melba's Jammin' >
>wrote:
>
>> Hey, I've missed you! I hope you've not been in poor health. Nice to
>> see you again.

>Thanks, health is fine. I've basically decided to post only when I
>actually have something concrete and relevant to offer. -aem

jesus, another kook.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
t...
>A friend gave me A LOT of avocados, some of which I've given to friends.
>I've been using them in salads every day, but I need some good ideas on how
>to use them. I know guacamole and topping fajitas or using in sandwiches.
>Does anyone have any other ideas.....please!

Chilled soup is good and so are BLT sandwiches with slices of avocado and
maybe even some sprouts added!

Cyndi

Avocados Damsel General Cooking 8 30-05-2009 07:25 PM
About all these avocados... Nexis General Cooking 29 21-06-2008 04:42 AM
BUM avocados. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 2 19-02-2007 07:55 PM
Avocados Connie TenClay Preserving 2 04-10-2004 10:18 PM
Avocados ScratchMonkey General Cooking 7 08-10-2003 07:30 AM