Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Five Second Rule

http://theviewfromherenow.blogspot.c...cond-rule.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of peach or a
meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and pop it in your mouth if
it's only been there for 4 seconds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-11, Zippy P > wrote:
> That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of peach or a
> meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and pop it in your mouth if
> it's only been there for 4 seconds?

Actually, the 5 second rule is, if you don't see any worthwhile
information within 5 secs of clicking on the post, you ignore it and
go to the next.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:

> That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of peach or a
> meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and pop it in your mouth if
> it's only been there for 4 seconds?

Why not?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith said...

> Zippy P wrote:
>>
>> That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of peach or
>> a meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and pop it in your
>> mouth if it's only been there for 4 seconds?

> Why not?

I dropped one piece out of several pieces of cooked chicken on the kitchen
floor that HAD to be rescued to proceed correctly with the recipe. I quickly
picked it up and rinsed it off under the faucet and continued.

Andy
"You have to eat a pound of dirt before you die!" --Gramma

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 4:52 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Zippy P wrote:
>
> > That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of peach or a
> > meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and pop it in your mouth if
> > it's only been there for 4 seconds?

> Why not?

It seems to me that I saw a report from U of Manitoba where a student
checked this in public buildings. In most cases she could not find
anything on the floors, The 5 sec rule could just as well have been
the 10 minute rule.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> > > That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of peach or a
> > > meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and pop it in your mouth if
> > > it's only been there for 4 seconds?

> > Why not?

> It seems to me that I saw a report from U of Manitoba where a student
> checked this in public buildings. In most cases she could not find
> anything on the floors, The 5 sec rule could just as well have been
> the 10 minute rule.

It's funny that people will put all sorts of foods on their counter and not
worry about germs, but if something falls on a (hopefully) clean floor they
won't touch it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-05-11, Zippy P > wrote:
>> That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of peach
>> or a meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and pop it in
>> your mouth if it's only been there for 4 seconds?

> Actually, the 5 second rule is, if you don't see any worthwhile
> information within 5 secs of clicking on the post, you ignore it and
> go to the next.
>
> nb

But be sure to grab an ice cold beer in the 3 seconds remaining

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> On May 11, 4:52 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > Zippy P wrote:
> >
> > > That's just gross. Are you telling me if you drop a slice of
> > > peach or a meatball on the floor you're going to pick it up and
> > > pop it in your mouth if it's only been there for 4 seconds?

> > Why not?

> It seems to me that I saw a report from U of Manitoba where a student
> checked this in public buildings. In most cases she could not find
> anything on the floors, The 5 sec rule could just as well have been
> the 10 minute rule.

Mythbusters took a look at this, and determined that the one factor
that had little to do with it was time. The size and composition of the
food, the type of floor, the cleanliness of the floor, all were much
more important.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
> John Kane wrote:

>> > Why not?

>> It seems to me that I saw a report from U of Manitoba where a student
>> checked this in public buildings. In most cases she could not find
>> anything on the floors, The 5 sec rule could just as well have been
>> the 10 minute rule.

> Mythbusters took a look at this, and determined that the one factor
> that had little to do with it was time. The size and composition of the
> food, the type of floor, the cleanliness of the floor, all were much
> more important.
> Brian

And the kitchen floor in front of the fridge was dirtiest of the household
bathroom, hallway, and some other couple places. In a related Mythbuster
show, they showed that toothbrushes in the bathroom picked up no more E.coli
germs than the control. Some E.coli is everywhere, but our bodies are pretty
well able to adapt. To that end, tho, I don't much depend on the 5 second
rule, unless it's whole unbruised fruit I can wash.
Funny story: when the Kid was about 10 he called me at work and said his
cupcake fell on the floor. He rinsed it and it got soggy, then he microwaved
it and it got worse. Luckily, he didn't stay home alone much...
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On 11 May 2007 12:07:08 -0700, JHood >
magnanimously proffered:

>http://theviewfromherenow.blogspot.c...cond-rule.html

I once worked in a hotel restaurant in Hawai'i where meat dropped on
the floor in the kitchen was picked up and re-used. If not for the
original order, then for another order.

BTW - I wouldn't eat there.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> On 11 May 2007 12:07:08 -0700, JHood >
> magnanimously proffered:
>
>> http://theviewfromherenow.blogspot.c...cond-rule.html

> I once worked in a hotel restaurant in Hawai'i where meat dropped on
> the floor in the kitchen was picked up and re-used. If not for the
> original order, then for another order.
>
> BTW - I wouldn't eat there.

I worked with a guy who put himself through college working at Wendy's (the
burger place). He told me any burgers that were burned or *fell on the
floor* went into the "chili pot". So, whatever you do, don't order chili at
Wendy's.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Why not?

>> It seems to me that I saw a report from U of Manitoba where a student
>> checked this in public buildings. In most cases she could not find
>> anything on the floors, The 5 sec rule could just as well have been
>> the 10 minute rule.

> It's funny that people will put all sorts of foods on their counter and not
> worry about germs, but if something falls on a (hopefully) clean floor they
> won't touch it.

Yes. Unless you have cats or dogs in the kitchen or are walking around
it in boots that have just mucked around a barnyard, I don't see the
problem with picking up something that has fallen and SELECTIVELY
deciding whether to eat it or not.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I worked with a guy who put himself through college working at Wendy's
> (the
> burger place). He told me any burgers that were burned or *fell on the
> floor* went into the "chili pot". So, whatever you do, don't order chili
> at
> Wendy's.

It may be possible that some particular store (or any place that makes
chili) did, but I doubt it is done at every outlet. Certainly would not be
condoned by corporate. Life is full of risks and eating out is one of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 May 2007 12:07:08 -0700, JHood > wrote:

>http://theviewfromherenow.blogspot.c...cond-rule.html

"For performing this first test of the five-second rule, Ms. Clarke
was recognized by the Annals of Improbable Research with the 2004 Ig
Nobel Prize in public health."

i actually saw this young lady at a presentation by a.i.r. in d.c. it
was a pretty wild evening.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 May, 03:45, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
> > I worked with a guy who put himself through college working at Wendy's
> > (the
> > burger place). He told me any burgers that were burned or *fell on the
> > floor* went into the "chili pot". So, whatever you do, don't order chili
> > at
> > Wendy's.

> It may be possible that some particular store (or any place that makes
> chili) did, but I doubt it is done at every outlet. Certainly would not be
> condoned by corporate. Life is full of risks and eating out is one of them.

Stragely though, one of the most dangerous things you can eat in a
restaurant is rice. Quite often rice is cooked in huge batches during
prep in the morning for the evening's service. If it's not
refrigerated properly you can get a bacteria called Bacillus cereus
which can give you pretty nasty food poisoning. Just a little
pointless fact

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> I worked with a guy who put himself through college working at
>> Wendy's (the
>> burger place). He told me any burgers that were burned or *fell on
>> the floor* went into the "chili pot". So, whatever you do, don't
>> order chili at
>> Wendy's.

> It may be possible that some particular store (or any place that makes
> chili) did, but I doubt it is done at every outlet. Certainly would
> not be condoned by corporate. Life is full of risks and eating out
> is one of them.

This is true but we're talking a man who is 48 now and Wendy's was still
fairly new in some areas. Just repeating what he said to me and I never
knew him to be a liar.

The new bacon rule Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 164 24-12-2012 05:04 PM
OMG!!!! Giants Rule!!! Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 39 09-02-2012 03:31 AM
FAT PEOPLE RULE JAK General Cooking 0 17-10-2007 10:11 PM
Demos rule! Dick Adams Sourdough 0 09-11-2006 03:11 PM