Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight- Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous

I'm in the mood to eat outside on the deck tonight.
This recipe appeals to me today even though I suppose with the
particular vegetables it seems more fall-ish? Some "sunshine sweet tea"
(iced unsweetened tea and frozen prepared lemonaid) will go well with it
and I'm going to pick up some fresh strawberries from the roadside stand
down the street for dessert.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion -- chopped
6 cloves garlic -- minced
2 red potatoes -- diced
1 cup diced carrot
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
2 zucchini -- sliced
1/2 head cauliflower -- cut in florets
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup raisins -- soaked to plump
16 ounces can diced tomatoes
15 ounces tomato sauce
2 tablespoons honey
15 ounces garbanzo beans
6 cups water
3 cups uncooked couscous
1/2 cup dried figs -- coarsely chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 pint plain yogurt -- for garnish
1 bunch fresh mint -- chopped for garnish

In heavy stock pot, heat oil and saute onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots
and cardamon. Stir till fragrent. Then add the zucchini and
cauliflower. Add curry powder, salt, peppers and stir. Drain raisins
and add to pot along with the tomatoes, tomato sauce, honey, garbanzo
beans. Cover and simmer for 30 min or til vegetables are tender, adding
up to 1 cup water if the stew appears too dry.

While the stew is cooking, bring the water to boil in a saucepan and
stir in the couscous. Cook one min, then cover and turn off heat letting
the couscous stand for 10 min. After the couscous has sat 5 min, stir
the figs and almonds into the stew.

To serve: Fluff up the couscous with a fork. Spoon a mound of couscous
on each plate and form a well in the center. Ladle a portion of the
stew into the well. Garnish with several tablespoons of the yogurt and
fresh mint. Serve remaining yogurt on the side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 23, 12:59 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> I'm in the mood to eat outside on the deck tonight.
>
> Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous

-snippage-

Looks very nice - but I would use ginger, spicy paprika, and maybe
some turmeric instead of curry powder and cardamom. Also - steam the
couscous over the stew. It is much better that way. If you don't have
a steamer - try a colander with some cheesecloth.

Tracy
(married to a Moroccan)