Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Rack of pork with hard cider and apple butter

The recipe is from the most wonderful _Pork & Sons_ by Stéphane Reynaud.

Victor

Rack of pork with hard cider and apple butter

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours

Serves 6

1 rack of pork with 6 chops
2 1/4 cups hard cider
6 Granny Smith or other tart eating apples
3 onions, sliced
a pinch of ground cinnamon
a pinch of ground ginger
7 tablespoons sweet butter, chilled

Cook the rack in a flameproof casserole over medium heat, turning
occasionally, until golden brown all over. Baste with a little of the
hard cider, lower the heat, cover, and cook for 1 hour, basting
frequently with more hard cider.

Peel and core the apples, then cut into fourths. Add them to the
casserole with the onions, the remaining hard cider, and the spices and
cook over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, until the apples and
onions have softened.

Remove the rack from the casserole, tent with foil, and let stand for 10
minutes. Add the butter to the casserole and beat it into the apple
mixture. Cut the rack into separate chops and serve with the hard cider
and apple butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Rack of pork with hard cider and apple butter

"Victor Sack" > schreef in bericht
.. .
> The recipe is from the most wonderful _Pork & Sons_ by Stéphane Reynaud.
>
> Victor

I was tempted to buy that book (but decided against it). I agree, it's
beautiful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Victor Sack) wrote:

> *Rack of pork

What cut is it that you consider a "rack of pork"?

Perhaps this: http://www.porkpeople.com/video_rack.html

The above cut in the US would most usually require a dedicated butcher
shop and would be expensive, mostly for the preparation plus
considerable waste (unless one wants to play at making fatty sausage
with the trimmings). In the US most folks buy a "loin of pork"
instead, it's not really necessary to fancy it up and in fact will
turn out tasting better minus all the trimming. Those interested in
show rather than go chosse the rack of pork... those interested in the
go rather than the show choose the loin of pork.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote on 17 Apr 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
> >
> > *Rack of pork

> What cut is it that you consider a "rack of pork"?
>
> Perhaps this: http://www.porkpeople.com/video_rack.html
>
> The above cut in the US would most usually require a dedicated butcher
> shop and would be expensive, mostly for the preparation plus
> considerable waste (unless one wants to play at making fatty sausage
> with the trimmings). In the US most folks buy a "loin of pork"
> instead, it's not really necessary to fancy it up and in fact will
> turn out tasting better minus all the trimming. Those interested in
> show rather than go chosse the rack of pork... those interested in the
> go rather than the show choose the loin of pork.
>
> Sheldon

Up here crown roast pork...or rack of pork; stuffed is a very nice crowd
pleaser...and not that expensive. I had one that I consider in my top 5
meals ever...so far.A rack 4 of 4 bones will more than enough to feed 4
people...Cause you get a very nice large thick pork chop like chunk-o-meat
for each serving. Plus the displa bringing the circle of meat (bones all
sticking up) with the stuffing showing is quite impressive. A six bone
rack looks even better, but only due to the symetery of the 6 bones. Cost
was about 5-6 bucks a bone per rack 3 years ago; as the 6 bone rack I made
was 35 ish dollars IIRC.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
> >
> > *Rack of pork

> What cut is it that you consider a "rack of pork"?

The French carré (which is what in fact had been translated from the
original), the British equivalent of the best end of neck and,
anatomically, the exact equivalent of the rack of lamb. The meat
actually comes from the rib portion of the loin and is apparently called
pork loin rib roast or pork center rib roast in America, but with the
backbone removed. See <http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html>.

> Perhaps this: http://www.porkpeople.com/video_rack.html

Yes, exactly, and it is the typical "frenched" presentation.

> The above cut in the US would most usually require a dedicated butcher
> shop and would be expensive, mostly for the preparation plus
> considerable waste (unless one wants to play at making fatty sausage
> with the trimmings). In the US most folks buy a "loin of pork"
> instead, it's not really necessary to fancy it up and in fact will
> turn out tasting better minus all the trimming. Those interested in
> show rather than go chosse the rack of pork... those interested in the
> go rather than the show choose the loin of pork.

The cut is standard throughout Europe and, in fact, throughout America,
too - it the same thing as crown roast of pork, except it is not bent
into a circle. There is hardly any waste and hardly any trimming
necessary. The rack is very easily divided into individual chops.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> (Victor Sack) wrote:
>>> Rack of pork

>> What cut is it that you consider a "rack of pork"?

> The French carré (which is what in fact had been translated from the
> original), the British equivalent of the best end of neck and,
> anatomically, the exact equivalent of the rack of lamb. The meat
> actually comes from the rib portion of the loin and is apparently called
> pork loin rib roast or pork center rib roast in America, but with the
> backbone removed. See <http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html>.
>
>> Perhaps this: http://www.porkpeople.com/video_rack.html

> Yes, exactly, and it is the typical "frenched" presentation.
>
>> The above cut in the US would most usually require a dedicated butcher
>> shop and would be expensive, mostly for the preparation plus
>> considerable waste (unless one wants to play at making fatty sausage
>> with the trimmings). In the US most folks buy a "loin of pork"
>> instead, it's not really necessary to fancy it up and in fact will
>> turn out tasting better minus all the trimming. Those interested in
>> show rather than go chosse the rack of pork... those interested in the
>> go rather than the show choose the loin of pork.

> The cut is standard throughout Europe and, in fact, throughout America,
> too - it the same thing as crown roast of pork, except it is not bent
> into a circle. There is hardly any waste and hardly any trimming
> necessary. The rack is very easily divided into individual chops.
>
> Victor

Bubba, That was interesting and informative. Perhaps you can tell me
what cut of meat I mean when I want to get Kalbs Nierenbraten, something
I have tried to find on several occasions, but neither regular butchers
nor Kosher ones in New York City had any idea what I meant. I usually
end up being offered veal kidneys, which is not what I want. Thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran > wrote:

> Bubba, That was interesting and informative. Perhaps you can tell me
> what cut of meat I mean when I want to get Kalbs Nierenbraten, something
> I have tried to find on several occasions, but neither regular butchers
> nor Kosher ones in New York City had any idea what I meant. I usually
> end up being offered veal kidneys, which is not what I want. Thank you.

It is boned loin of veal, the chump end of the loin. It is the cut that
contains kidneys. However, even if the kidneys are removed, the cut is
still called Kalbsnierenbraten in Germany and Austria. Traditionally,
though, it is supposed to be rolled around the kidney(s), whether by the
butcher or by oneself. It is one of the best veal cuts and costs
accordingly. If roasted with the kidney, it is a magnificent dish
(given good-quality veal), even though I would still prefer the kidney
to be cooked separately and served with mustard sauce...

You can also try asking for veal roast with kidneys and hope they know
what it is. If they do, you can then say you want it sans kidneys, if
that is your preference.

The French equivalent is rognonade de veau, or longe de veau et son
rognon.

Bubba