Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easy dinner on the deck

Photographing food isn't as easy as it seems? White plates do not show
the food off well, do they? This is my first attempt at food pics-

Tonight for supper we had broccoli that was in need of eating, so I stir
fried it with some sliced mushrooms, carrots and a bit of red onion.
Leftover rice was cooked up in some butter. Had I had some frozen green
peas I would have added it to the rice. I love rice and peas. We had two
pints of grape tomatoes sitting here so I took a pint and made a quick
salad with olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and a bit of garlic.
Purchased some oddly thin steaks that had been marked down close to the
sell by date. Because they were thin they cooked and dried out way too
fast...and admittedly my husband is a hit and miss griller at times?
LOL. He had red wine with dinner, I had a Diet Dr. Pepper.
After eating on the deck, we pulled our individual laptops outside and
enjoyed a little time outside, sans bugs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/40c61bb.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/2l8i7vm.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/331d1xg.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:20:05 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Photographing food isn't as easy as it seems? White plates do not show
>the food off well, do they? This is my first attempt at food pics-

snippady doo dah

Wow!! looks great to me, both the food and photography.
I like how you got the steam coming off the food in the skillet.

My only suggestion would be to try and keep the photos as close to 1KB
as possible for those with dial up. I use the VGA setting on my
camera.

Great first try. I'm looking forward to more.

Koko

---
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
updated 3/24 added mole page

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko wrote:

> Wow!! looks great to me, both the food and photography.
> I like how you got the steam coming off the food in the skillet.
>
> My only suggestion would be to try and keep the photos as close to 1KB
> as possible for those with dial up. I use the VGA setting on my
> camera.
>
> Great first try. I'm looking forward to more.

Thank you! I'll see if I can figure out how to adjust that size thing?
I hadn't noticed the steam until you mentioned it, lol. I love that
extra large skillet. It requires going over two burners but is the
perfect thing to do stove top fajitas or stir fry veggies. I remember it
was just an inexpensive restaurant grade pan purchased at Sam's many
years ago. Next to my Le Crueset Dutch oven, it is my favorite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Koko wrote:
>
>> Wow!! looks great to me, both the food and photography. I like how you
>> got the steam coming off the food in the skillet. My only suggestion
>> would be to try and keep the photos as close to 1KB
>> as possible for those with dial up. I use the VGA setting on my
>> camera.
>>
>> Great first try. I'm looking forward to more.

> Thank you! I'll see if I can figure out how to adjust that size thing?
> I hadn't noticed the steam until you mentioned it, lol. I love that extra
> large skillet. It requires going over two burners but is the perfect thing
> to do stove top fajitas or stir fry veggies. I remember it was just an
> inexpensive restaurant grade pan purchased at Sam's many years ago. Next
> to my Le Crueset Dutch oven, it is my favorite.

The food looks good to me. I've got a cast iron pan that fits down below
grill level and that's what I use for fajitas. Unfortunately that means
fajitas only are available here when temps are good for outdoor grilling. I
love that sizzle when the meat and veggies hit the cast iron.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:20:05 -0400, Goomba38 wrote:

> Photographing food isn't as easy as it seems? White plates do not show
> the food off well, do they?

No it's not that easy to get a good picture especially when your hungry
"customers" are made to hold off for a few minutes and they are rushing
you. I think white plates do show the food well but it is all about a mix
of color on the plate. A white plate on a white background is especially
good IMO. Lighting is also good to have correct. Flash tends to wash the
colors out and fill the shadows that give the shot a good look. I like the
macro shots. Check the egullet dinner thread for some ideas. PIXresizer
is freeware for resizing that you may want to check out.

jay

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:13:01 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Koko wrote:
>
>> Wow!! looks great to me, both the food and photography.
>> I like how you got the steam coming off the food in the skillet.
>>
>> My only suggestion would be to try and keep the photos as close to 1KB
>> as possible for those with dial up. I use the VGA setting on my
>> camera.
>>
>> Great first try. I'm looking forward to more.

>Thank you! I'll see if I can figure out how to adjust that size thing?

If you have IrfanView (free app), you can resize it there. If you
decide to post on ABF. keep it around or under 100kb. One K is huge
for that ng.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Photographing food isn't as easy as it seems? White plates do not show
> the food off well, do they? This is my first attempt at food pics-
>
> Tonight for supper we had broccoli that was in need of eating, so I stir
> fried it with some sliced mushrooms, carrots and a bit of red onion.
> Leftover rice was cooked up in some butter. Had I had some frozen green
> peas I would have added it to the rice. I love rice and peas. We had two
> pints of grape tomatoes sitting here so I took a pint and made a quick
> salad with olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and a bit of garlic.
> Purchased some oddly thin steaks that had been marked down close to the
> sell by date. Because they were thin they cooked and dried out way too
> fast...and admittedly my husband is a hit and miss griller at times?
> LOL. He had red wine with dinner, I had a Diet Dr. Pepper.
> After eating on the deck, we pulled our individual laptops outside and
> enjoyed a little time outside, sans bugs!

Looks tasty, but it sure isn't my patio. There is no snow on it.