Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shrimp in chili oil or red curry?

I'm being very lazy. Pan frying a bit of shrimp soon, and I have chili oil
or thai red curry sauce for options. I've never tried it with the red
curry, work ok? what would you do?

I'll probably make a bit of white rice to go underneath and turn leftovers
into a fried rice dish tomorrow

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:
> I'm being very lazy. Pan frying a bit of shrimp soon, and I have chili oil
> or thai red curry sauce for options. I've never tried it with the red
> curry, work ok? what would you do?
>
> I'll probably make a bit of white rice to go underneath and turn leftovers
> into a fried rice dish tomorrow

The curry would definitely be good!

--
God got a virgin pregnant by magic; God doesn't play by the rules.

-Izzy, Grey's Anatomy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> > I'm being very lazy. Pan frying a bit of shrimp soon, and I have chili oil
> > or thai red curry sauce for options. I've never tried it with the red
> > curry, work ok? what would you do?

> > I'll probably make a bit of white rice to go underneath and turn leftovers
> > into a fried rice dish tomorrow

> The curry would definitely be good!

I'd put the red curry paste and coconut milk (per Sqwertz'suggestion)
into the rice...the flavors really complement each other well and
they'd meld nicely for leftovers. I'd use a bit of chili oil with
which to cook the shrimp...red curry paste can really be over -
powering with something delicate like shrimp, so gotta be careful.

I cook mainly brown rice and when I do a large quantity I put in a can
of curry (those little cans of Thai curry, Maesri is one brand), a can
of coconut milk, and a half - packet or so of some Knorr or Mama Sita
brand tamarind soup base. The flavors go well together (sweet, sour,
spicy...), and hold up especially well if you are freezing the rice or
simply eating it over a few day's time. Very versatile, makes a tasty
rice base for all kinds of stuff...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ravenlynne wrote:
>

>> Peter wrote:
>> > I'm being very lazy. Pan frying a bit of shrimp soon, and I have
>> > chili oil
>> > or thai red curry sauce for options. I've never tried it with the red
>> > curry, work ok? what would you do?

>> > I'll probably make a bit of white rice to go underneath and turn
>> > leftovers
>> > into a fried rice dish tomorrow

>> The curry would definitely be good!

> I'd put the red curry paste and coconut milk (per Sqwertz'suggestion)
> into the rice...the flavors really complement each other well and
> they'd meld nicely for leftovers. I'd use a bit of chili oil with
> which to cook the shrimp...red curry paste can really be over -
> powering with something delicate like shrimp, so gotta be careful.
>
> I cook mainly brown rice and when I do a large quantity I put in a can
> of curry (those little cans of Thai curry, Maesri is one brand), a can
> of coconut milk, and a half - packet or so of some Knorr or Mama Sita
> brand tamarind soup base. The flavors go well together (sweet, sour,
> spicy...), and hold up especially well if you are freezing the rice or
> simply eating it over a few day's time. Very versatile, makes a tasty
> rice base for all kinds of stuff...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Thanks everyone. I ended up doing the red curry with a touch of cream to
even it out, did not have any coconut milk on hand. It is tastey stuff :-)