Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made my soup! (Kind of long)

kilikini said...

> You would swear my husband died and went to heaven. His eyes rolled back,
> he had strings of cheese dripping down his chin......he was ecstatic! I
> rather liked my bowl of it, too. The roasted garlic bread was a great
> touch, by the way.

kili,

Cool!

Who DOESN'T love French onion soup?!? Dripping cheese and all!

Congrats!

Andy
Never had homemade
Posted to rec.food.cooking

French Onion, that is. I didn't follow a specific recipe, but based it upon
all the comments I read here and in the chat. I slowly cooked up about 5
cups of sliced onions in a couple tablespoons of butter. I sat at the stove
for almost an hour getting the color of the onions right. You guys weren't
kidding when you said the onions cook down! Wow! Anyway, I then put in a
couple of tablespoons of flour and based upon visual ratio of onion to how
much water I'd need, I winged it with the broth.

I had beef bouillion from Penzeys which suggested 2/3 of a tablespoon per
cup of water. I figured on 4 cups of water, and 2 cups white wine, so I did
6 spoons of the pasty beef bouillion. After simmering for a while, it still
didn't have enough flavor, so I added two more spoonfuls of the bouillion.

Sample. Okay, this was getting good.

I let that all simmer for a bit and added about 2 shots of brandy.

Sample. Um, this is *really* getting good!

I added some swiss cheese to the top, some good, crusty, toasted roasted
garlic bread, tossed some green onions on and called it done.

You would swear my husband died and went to heaven. His eyes rolled back,
he had strings of cheese dripping down his chin......he was ecstatic! I
rather liked my bowl of it, too. The roasted garlic bread was a great
touch, by the way.

So, to all of you who chided in on my initial thread, I thank you. It was
really tasty. We've got a couple of bowls worth left, if anyone wants to
come over. I'd be willing to bet that it's even more delicious today. :~)
Pic attached.

http://i14.tinypic.com/2d9sh75.jpg

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> French Onion, that is. I didn't follow a specific recipe, but based it
> upon
> all the comments I read here and in the chat. [...]

It sounds and looks wonderful! Onions are full of flavonoids, too, just one
reason they have lots of health benefits. [..]

> You would swear my husband died and went to heaven. His eyes rolled back,
> he had strings of cheese dripping down his chin......he was ecstatic!

Your husband sounds like a really neat guy. It is wonderful cooking for
people
who are really appreciative.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:
> French Onion, that is. *I didn't follow a specific recipe, > Pic attached.
>
> http://i14.tinypic.com/2d9sh75.jpg

Looks great... but it's definitely Jewish onion soup with a French
twist. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> French Onion, that is. I didn't follow a specific recipe, but based
>> it upon
>> all the comments I read here and in the chat. [...]

> It sounds and looks wonderful! Onions are full of flavonoids, too,
> just one reason they have lots of health benefits. [..]
>

>> You would swear my husband died and went to heaven. His eyes rolled
>> back, he had strings of cheese dripping down his chin......he was
>> ecstatic!

> Your husband sounds like a really neat guy. It is wonderful cooking
> for people
> who are really appreciative.

Isn't it though? It makes it all worth it. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> French Onion, that is. I didn't follow a specific recipe, but based it upon
> all the comments I read here and in the chat. . . . . .

> I had beef bouillion from Penzeys which suggested 2/3 of a tablespoon per
> cup of water.> kili

It does look good, but if you're using Penzey's beef base it's 2/3 of
a teaspoon.
And you seem a little sparing with the cheese. But hey maybe Hubby
does
like to poke through hot cheese to find his bread and risk getting
burned. Who
would?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> French Onion, that is. I didn't follow a specific recipe, but based
>> it upon all the comments I read here and in the chat. . . . . .

>> I had beef bouillion from Penzeys which suggested 2/3 of a
>> tablespoon per cup of water.> kili

> It does look good, but if you're using Penzey's beef base it's 2/3 of
> a teaspoon.
> And you seem a little sparing with the cheese. But hey maybe Hubby
> does
> like to poke through hot cheese to find his bread and risk getting
> burned. Who
> would?

Hubby didn't want that much cheese in his. I don't know why. That was his
bowl, I don't do chives. :~)

kili