Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food without pepper? (sorta silly, but a real request for ideas)

You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?

Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
as they are in the family!).

So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
where my mind went blank.

Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

Thanks, folks!

Alexis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Alexis" > wrote:

> So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
> which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
> anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
> pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
> salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
> where my mind went blank.
>
> Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

Something Chinese?

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alexis wrote:

> You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
> salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?
>
> Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
> cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
> manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
> it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
> as they are in the family!).
>
> So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
> which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
> anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
> pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
> salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
> where my mind went blank.
>
> Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

First, allow me to point out that a fruit salad isn't necessarily safe from
getting peppered. There are plenty of people who put salt and pepper on
watermelon; it's only a small step to peppering fruit salad.

Beyond that, as a main course I'd suggest something like halibut in
papillote with ginger, soy, and lemon. Rice-paper summer rolls with crab,
carrots, cilantro, and cucumber would be a nice starter.

Side dishes are a little tricky; I'm hard-pressed to think of one that a
pepper-lover wouldn't want to pepper. Of course, for this concept, I'd want
it to go along with the main dish I suggested. Hmm.... maybe spinach with
coconut milk? Vanilla-scented basmati rice? Those might work.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Van Van is offline

"Alexis" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
> salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?
>
> Well, I've got this friend

You're going to a lot of trouble just to bust on the guy for his tastes.

A lot of work just to wait for that ONE MOMENT when he reaches for the
pepper.

Whassa matter . .. . . pepper too expensive in your town?

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 12:28 am, "Alexis" > wrote:
> You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
> salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?
>
> Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
> cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
> manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
> it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
> as they are in the family!).
>
> So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
> which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
> anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
> pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
> salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
> where my mind went blank.
>
> Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?
>
> Thanks, folks!
>
> Alexis.

With most people it's just a habit/ritual, not taste. And with
overuse they can't taste it anymore.

I have a friend who puts salt on everything, before tasting. Out at
restaurants I've seen waiters roll their eyes as he grabs the salt
before they even finish setting down the plates. At my home, if I
have no salt on the table, he will get up, go to my kitchen, even
search the cabinets to find the salt. So, I have several shakers
that I use in cooking -- salt, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion
powder. Usually the cornstarch is out front, so he grabs that,
doesn't notice anything. One time I put the garlic powder in the
"usual" shaker. Afte eating a while, he commented that he liked
garlic, but had never had it in this dish before. I said, "I didn't
put any garlic in it. You did." and pointed to the shaker.

Another time, I served the dessert plates, crepes with cherries and
ice cream, and casually moved the salt (real) shaker next to his
plate. Yup. He picked it up and started shaking it. Sinced this was
not long after the garlic episode, he tasted, looked at me, but
stubborn him didn't dare say a word. He ate it all.

For your pepper guy, do you have a pepper mill? Does it make the
grinding sound even when empty? Or there are also salt crystals to
use in grinders, if you want to play with his mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> First, allow me to point out that a fruit salad isn't necessarily safe from
> getting peppered. There are plenty of people who put salt and pepper on
> watermelon; it's only a small step to peppering fruit salad.

Chili pepper is best. I automatically add pepper at the table. My wife
doesn't like it, so when she cooks, there isn't any. When I cook, there
is very little, because I know she doesn't like it.

There is a soccer field close to my house. Lot's of Hispanics. Several
food vendors. They always ask if you want chile pepper on the fruit. I
always do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Alexis" > wrote:

> You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
> salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?
>
> Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
> cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
> manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
> it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
> as they are in the family!).
>
> So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
> which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
> anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
> pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
> salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
> where my mind went blank.
>
> Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

Why bother? If your friend loves her husband, she should just accept
this little quirk of his. I only don't see what the big deal is about
someone who adds pepper to his food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 23, 9:28 pm, "Alexis" > wrote:
[snip]
> So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
> which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
> anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal,

Lamb rogan josh and chicken vindaloo, basmati rice, spicy daal. -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mar 24, 12:28 am, "Alexis" > wrote:

>> Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
>> cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
>> manners), and it's become something of a family joke
>>
>> So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
>> which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
>> anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
>> pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
>> salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
>> where my mind went blank.
>>
>> Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

Let the man enjoy his pepper. There aren't many main dishes that
freshly ground black pepper won't enhance.

To paraphrase:
A meal without pepper is like a day without sunshine.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 5:06 pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>

> "Alexis" > wrote:
> > You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
> > salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?

> > Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
> > cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
> > manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
> > it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
> > as they are in the family!).

> > So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
> > which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
> > anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
> > pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
> > salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
> > where my mind went blank.

> > Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

> Why bother? If your friend loves her husband, she should just accept
> this little quirk of his. I only don't see what the big deal is about
> someone who adds pepper to his food.- Hide quoted text -

Oh good grief -- what part of "it's become something of a family joke"
means that she's not accepting it? It wouldn't be funny to write it
out *here* because it's become part of the dinner ritual at *their*
house (part of setting the table, sitting down to eat, "does anyone
need anything while I'm up" sort of thing). It's NOT a "big deal"
that he adds pepper to his food, and there wasn't *anything* in my
request to indicate that this was mean spirited, spiteful, or in any
other way a source of marital discord.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Mar 2007 03:49:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Alexis wrote:
>
>> You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
>> salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?
>>
>> Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
>> cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
>> manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
>> it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
>> as they are in the family!).
>>
>> So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
>> which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
>> anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
>> pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
>> salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
>> where my mind went blank.
>>
>> Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

>First, allow me to point out that a fruit salad isn't necessarily safe from
>getting peppered. There are plenty of people who put salt and pepper on
>watermelon; it's only a small step to peppering fruit salad.
>
>Beyond that, as a main course I'd suggest something like halibut in
>papillote with ginger, soy, and lemon. Rice-paper summer rolls with crab,
>carrots, cilantro, and cucumber would be a nice starter.
>
>Side dishes are a little tricky; I'm hard-pressed to think of one that a
>pepper-lover wouldn't want to pepper. Of course, for this concept, I'd want
>it to go along with the main dish I suggested. Hmm.... maybe spinach with
>coconut milk? Vanilla-scented basmati rice? Those might work.
>
>Bob

cantaloupe requires pepper the way watermelon requires salt. (of
course, while you're adding pepper, you might as well salt it, too.)
never been tempted to pepper watermelon, though.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:32:27 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>

>> First, allow me to point out that a fruit salad isn't necessarily safe from
>> getting peppered. There are plenty of people who put salt and pepper on
>> watermelon; it's only a small step to peppering fruit salad.

>Chili pepper is best. I automatically add pepper at the table. My wife
>doesn't like it, so when she cooks, there isn't any. When I cook, there
>is very little, because I know she doesn't like it.
>
>There is a soccer field close to my house. Lot's of Hispanics. Several
>food vendors. They always ask if you want chile pepper on the fruit. I
>always do.

your ideas intrigue me, stranger. chile pepper in what form?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Mar 2007 22:28:19 -0700, "Alexis" >
wrote:

>You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
>salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?
>
>Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
>cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
>manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
>it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
>as they are in the family!).
>
>So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
>which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
>anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
>pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
>salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
>where my mind went blank.
>
>Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

Sorry... I can't think of ANY savoury dish that isn't improved by
fresh-ground black pepper! Unless it's already hot enough to burn your
tongue... you could serve him vindaloo, or a stirfry with lots of
fresh ginger and chillis - watch him add extra pepper to that!