Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

Default Lake trout

Any special hints/ a preferred way to do lake trout fillets?

We have a bag of fillets from ice fishing last month - I have prepared
salmon and stream trout, but I have never done lake trout fillets.

I assume it's prepared a lot like salmon.

thanks...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message
> Any special hints/ a preferred way to do lake trout fillets?
>
> We have a bag of fillets from ice fishing last month - I have prepared
> salmon and stream trout, but I have never done lake trout fillets.
>
> I assume it's prepared a lot like salmon.

I like them pan fried in a light breading.

Just flour, salt, and pepper.

Wash the fish and press it in, drop the filets in half an inch of
medium hot oil, flip after five minutes and drain on paper towels.

This is my favorite fish. I'm want some!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> > Any special hints/ a preferred way to do lake trout fillets?
> >
> > We have a bag of fillets from ice fishing last month - I have prepared
> > salmon and stream trout, but I have never done lake trout fillets.
> >
> > I assume it's prepared a lot like salmon.
> >
> > thanks...
> >

> Lake trout - not really a trout but a kind of char - is a delicate white
> fish that takes well to "subtle" cooking methods. Sauteed in butter with
> some herbs, for example. Salmon has more flavor and many salmon recipes,
> which include other flavors to complement the salmon, might well
> overwhelm the taste of the lake trout.

Now that had me wondering
- while true lake trout is common in Superior, these were caught in a
large lake in the Minnesota northeast angle, and the DNR has stocked browns
in a lot of lakes.
.. (I did not catch them, my son did, - I stream-fish for trout- his host
said they were lake trout, and I didn't question that they were not true
"lake trout" )
The flesh is orange, not white. As I remember, the lake trout I have
eaten in restaurants in the Duluth area had white flesh (most likely "Lake
Superior" fish).
I also know that flesh color can be affected by the fish's food, so the
color may not be a defining factor. (And to confuse it even more, around
here stream-caught rainbows are white-fleshed, and stream caught browns in
the same stream are pink-fleshed.)

So after reading your comments, I checked this morning, and the smaller
"fillets" have the skin on. On inspection, given color and spot and the
stocking, I first I thought they probably were browns. So I googled up
some pics to check, and found they definitely have the spottings of lake
trout, not of browns.

In any case, I plan to saute them simply in a manner similar to what I
use for brook, brown, and rainbow, and serve it with a faintly dill butter
and a sauvignon blanc.

Thanks for everyone's help.