Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Open House - 2 recipes

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I'm going to an open house on 2/18 to bid farewell to a neighbor that is
> moving. 3 other neighbors are hosting it for her. When I did the RSVP I
> asked if I could help in any way or bring something. One of the hostesses
> said if I wanted to bring something special or especially tasty to bring it
> along. Otherwise just bring myself. The hosts are all foodies and I'd
> like to take something. I can't really think of much that will wow them.
> I'm thinking about a brie/gorgonzola/roasted red pepper torte served with
> peppered water crackers but I have done it to death. It's a popular item
> but I want something different.
>
> I've made both of these apps below. Both are good and do well for large
> groups. They are not messy either. See what you think. Any other
> suggestions are most welcome.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>

> Bacon-Wrapped Dates
>

> Recipe By :
> Categories : Nat. Pork Producers Council Pork

> 12 slices bacon
> 24 pitted dates
>

> Cut each bacon slice in half crosswise. Place bacon on paper toweling on a
> microwave-safe plate; cover with another paper towel. Microwave on High 4
> minutes. Roll up each date in a piece of bacon, place bacon-wrapped dates
> on clean toweling on microwave-safe plate; cover with another paper towel.
> Microwave on High 2-4 minutes, until bacon is crisp.
>
> -OR-
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>

> Teriyaki Rumaki
>

> Recipe By :
> Categories : Lawry's Seasoning Pork

> 3/4 cup Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade with Pineapple
> Juice (I will make my own marinade, not buy it)
> 1 pound pitted dates -- slit lengthwise
> 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts -- drained
> 1 pound bacon -- cut in half lengthwise, then cut into
> thirds
>

> In small bowl, pour Teriyaki Marinade; set aside. Place one water chestnut
> in each date. Wrap one piece bacon around date, securing with a wooden
> pick. Dip into Marinade and place on broiler pan. Continue until all
> rumaki are assembled. Broil, turning once until bacon is crisp, about 4
> minutes on each side.
>

> Makes about 50
>
> NOTES : Hint: Blanch bacon before wrapping on dates to reduce some of the
> fat and produce really crispy bacon. Also, these appetizers may be
> frozen.
>

> Michael

How about a no-cooking one?

I just open up a package of cream cheese (helps to have it still a
little cold and NOT room temperature) and place it open side down onto a
dinner plate (a pretty one as this is what you will be serving). Using
the wrapper puch and smear the cream cheese all over the plate till you
have an even layer all over, leaving a rim of clean space. Then spoon on
some great tasting cocktail sauce or seafood sauce all over the cream
cheese. like it was a pizza sauce layer. Finish with a layer of tiny
shrimp or crab lumps. Serve with a bowl or platter of your favorite
crackers to scoop the 'seafood' dip. DH and I sometimes make this as a
snack for movie watching, only using a smaller plate of course and just
smearing part of a package of cream cheese.

Melondy