Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Method to Defrost Frozen Foods

Gerry Atrick > wrote in
:

> I'm a bachelor and unlike most women, I am not very organized with
> cooking. When I finish my days work I want something to eat and want
> it fast. That usually means some tv dinners or a frozen pizza or lots
> of instant mashed potatoes in the microwave coated with ketchup.
>
> But there are times I really want something more. I am not a good
> cook, but I can make a hamburger or something like that. The problem
> is that I live in a rural area and the stores are not open late. I
> have to get my food in advance. If I buy some ground beef or
> something like that, it ends up sitting in the fridge. Some days I
> work late, other days I am too tired to cook when I get home, often I
> will stop at a fast food place on my way home from work, or get
> invited to a friends house to eat. The next thing I have forgotten
> about tis ground beef and it's gone bad in the fridge.
>
> After far too many instances like that, I now toss all meats in the
> freezer. But that seems to be where they permanently "live". I know
> it takes a full day to thaw out something like that, and then I am
> often back to the same issues. I take it out of the freezer, forget
> about it, and once again I have bad meat.
>
> Is there any way to defrost frozen meat quickly. Can I do it in the
> microwave, the oven, or anywhere else? I want it to defrost in under
> an hour if there is a way. Can anyone please help....
>
> Thanks
>
> Gerry

Freeze single portions of whatever meat in ziplock bags.

Place in a sink of cool-tepid water.

If it's ground beef (mince) slap the meat flat inside the bag (before
you seal it!!). Makes storage easier, and makes defrosting quicker.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml