Cindy Fuller

Default chanterelles

We were at Central Market north of Seattle the other night and found
fresh chanterelles on sale for a decent price (for chanterelles, that
is). We bought a few and incorporated them into a rice pilaf for
dinner. Does anyone have other ideas for these little gems?

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
j*ni p.

Hark! I heard Cindy Fuller > say:

> We were at Central Market north of Seattle the other night and found
> fresh chanterelles on sale for a decent price (for chanterelles, that
> is). We bought a few and incorporated them into a rice pilaf for
> dinner. Does anyone have other ideas for these little gems?

Ah, chanterelles. Here in the wilds of Mason County (South Puget
Sound), we used to pick our own (1970's). Mom's favorite preparation
was just to saute them in butter...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Reg

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> We were at Central Market north of Seattle the other night and found
> fresh chanterelles on sale for a decent price (for chanterelles, that
> is). We bought a few and incorporated them into a rice pilaf for
> dinner. Does anyone have other ideas for these little gems?

These are so expensive I try and stretch them as far as I can. One
good way is to make chanterelle butter and put it on all sorts
of things. I especially like it on grilled meats.

Chanterelle-Shallot Butter

3 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 shallots
1 lemon, juiced
4 oz Yellowfoot chanterelles, cleaned, and, washed
2 sticks butter, softened, to room temperature
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan. Add the
garlic, shallot and lemon juice and stir to soften 1 minute.
Add the chanterelles and sauté, season and cook 5-6 minutes
until tender and juice has evaporated and the mushrooms are
as dry as possible (so as not to thin the butter down).

Cool and mince very fine. Stir the minced mushrooms into
the softened butter. Mix thoroughly. Season to taste with
salt and pepper, and reserve.

alzelt

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> We were at Central Market north of Seattle the other night and found
> fresh chanterelles on sale for a decent price (for chanterelles, that
> is). We bought a few and incorporated them into a rice pilaf for
> dinner. Does anyone have other ideas for these little gems?
>
> Cindy

Going with the idea that sometimes less is more, try this one out. Saute
in butter and a few grinds of pepper. I did this, along with several
other ideas when Costco had them on sale for a while.

I also took above process and topped off a grilled steak.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Alex Rast

at Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:29:12 GMT in <cjfuller-FC3E29.15291106102003
@news05.west.earthlink.net>, (Cindy Fuller) wrote :

>We were at Central Market north of Seattle the other night and found
>fresh chanterelles on sale for a decent price (for chanterelles, that
>is). We bought a few and incorporated them into a rice pilaf for
>dinner. Does anyone have other ideas for these little gems?
>
>Cindy

Not yet, you didn't get them at a decent price. Market price in Seattle now
is about $10-$12/ lb. That's because the season is just starting. At the
peak of the season, they'll drop to $4-$6/lb. At that point you can really
go crazy. Use in risotto, a bit like your rice pilaf. They go great with
any of the heavier grains - wheat, barley, oats.

Chanterelles are very good with fish. Try them as an accompaniment to
salmon or halibut. Or cut up some salmon into medium-size chunks and saute
with the chanterelles. Scallops sauteed with chanterelles are also divine.

Use as a crepe filling - you can make a cream or bechamel base and add the
chanterelles to it, then fill your crepes with that. Combining this filling
with chunks of fish, as above, and you have a decadent fall dish.

The best meat to accompany them, IMHO is pork. You can stuff a rolled pork
loin or tenderloin with them, or use them with pork in a stew.

Finally, it's hard to beat them simply sliced and sauteed in butter. This
is probably the best of all.

The key points - keep it simple, stay away from most aggressive flavours,
especially spices, remember that they are best sauteed.
--
Alex Rast

Peter Aitken

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> We were at Central Market north of Seattle the other night and found
> fresh chanterelles on sale for a decent price (for chanterelles, that
> is). We bought a few and incorporated them into a rice pilaf for
> dinner. Does anyone have other ideas for these little gems?
>
> Cindy
>
> --

Ah, chaterelles! We occasionally find a few in our yard, and there have been
times in northern New Hampshire when we found so many that we had to stop
picking because our arms were worn out! Two things we like - saute them then
add to scrambled eggs, or in a chicken-and-cream fricasee. Another idea is
to saute them, add some cream and a wee bit of lemon, and just eat on toast.

--
Peter Aitken

Peggy

j*ni p. wrote:

> Hark! I heard Cindy Fuller > say:
>

>>We were at Central Market north of Seattle the other night and found
>>fresh chanterelles on sale for a decent price (for chanterelles, that
>>is). We bought a few and incorporated them into a rice pilaf for
>>dinner. Does anyone have other ideas for these little gems?

> Ah, chanterelles. Here in the wilds of Mason County (South Puget
> Sound), we used to pick our own (1970's). Mom's favorite preparation
> was just to saute them in butter...

Sauté in some good olive oil. Serve at room temp with a squeeze of
lemon and some chopped parsley. Yum!

Peg

Chanterelles gtr General Cooking 7 13-08-2015 01:22 AM
REC: Guinea hen with chanterelles Victor Sack[_1_] General Cooking 5 12-09-2011 03:51 AM
Dried Chanterelles? TammyM General Cooking 28 11-05-2009 11:35 PM
Penne With Chanterelles And Sun-Dried Tomatoes hazel dibble Recipes (moderated) 0 05-10-2007 09:37 PM
REC: Soup with chanterelles Victor Sack General Cooking 0 20-08-2005 10:55 PM