Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish Taco Dinner Success!

We found a new salsa that made the difference! Well, new to us, some of you
may have tried it. We actually made the fish tacos last night as an
*afterthought* because we found the salsa. It's made by Chachies
http://www.chachies.com and we got it on sale for a ridiculously low price
of $1.50 for 16 ounces (yes, it was on sale) in the deli department of our
local Publix supermarket. The salsa was just screaming to be added to fish.
It was a key-lime garlic salsa. Wow. That's all I can say. It was fresh,
very lime tasting, lots of garlic......... both my husband and I liked it,
which is unusual. Okay, it was a little bit hot for *my* taste buds, but I
toned it down with sour cream. (Heck, I don't even do black pepper.)

The salsa is made in California and since I'm in Florida I'm obviously not
selling the product, I'm not advertising for the product, I'm just saying
that if you can find it, you'd be denying your taste buds some exquisite
satisfaction if you didn't pick it up. I think it would also be excellent
over chicken, but when I saw it, I just thought fish.

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 4:00 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> We found a new salsa that made the difference! Well, new to us, some of you
> may have tried it. We actually made the fish tacos last night as an
> *afterthought* because we found the salsa. It's made by Chachieshttp://www.chachies.comand we got it on sale for a ridiculously low price
> of $1.50 for 16 ounces (yes, it was on sale) in the deli department of our
> local Publix supermarket. The salsa was just screaming to be added to fish.
> It was a key-lime garlic salsa. Wow. That's all I can say. It was fresh,
> very lime tasting, lots of garlic......... both my husband and I liked it,
> which is unusual. Okay, it was a little bit hot for *my* taste buds, but I
> toned it down with sour cream. (Heck, I don't even do black pepper.)
>
> The salsa is made in California and since I'm in Florida I'm obviously not
> selling the product, I'm not advertising for the product, I'm just saying
> that if you can find it, you'd be denying your taste buds some exquisite
> satisfaction if you didn't pick it up. I think it would also be excellent
> over chicken, but when I saw it, I just thought fish.
>
> kili
> --http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

I thought fish tacos would be strange, but they can be pretty good. At
the restaurant where I worked, this is how they made them. They would
marinate the fish in a mixture of o.o., garlic, and lime zest. They
served them with shredded cabbage, and a sauce made of mayo, lime
juice, chopped onion, diced seeded roma tomato, diced green chile
(canned type), & chopped jalapeno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Feb 2, 4:00 am, "kilikini" > wrote:

> I thought fish tacos would be strange, but they can be pretty good. At
> the restaurant where I worked, this is how they made them. They would
> marinate the fish in a mixture of o.o., garlic, and lime zest. They
> served them with shredded cabbage, and a sauce made of mayo, lime
> juice, chopped onion, diced seeded roma tomato, diced green chile
> (canned type), & chopped jalapeno.

My husband thought fish tacos sounded weird at first, too, and then he tried
one. His eyes got really big and then he said, "We can make these at
home?!?!?!" I laughed. I made them all the time prior to marrying him. We
both love them now. We don't marinate the fish, however. We both tend to
prefer the fish either grilled or pan-fried. Since grilling requires more
energy & fuel, we tend to always pan-fry. But, yes, shredded cabbage and a
white sauce are usually the norm. We just went with what we had yesterday.
Heck, it still worked!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb" wrote:
> "kilikini" wrote:
>
> > We found a new salsa that made the difference! *Well, new to us, some of you
> > may have tried it. *We actually made the fish tacos last night

> I thought fish tacos would be strange, but they can be pretty good.

For me "fish taco" conjures up a hole nether image.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 12:01 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:

> My husband thought fish tacos sounded weird at first, too, and then he tried
> one. His eyes got really big and then he said, "We can make these at
> home?!?!?!" I laughed. I made them all the time prior to marrying him. We
> both love them now. We don't marinate the fish, however. We both tend to
> prefer the fish either grilled or pan-fried.

<little snip>
> kili

Simple is good. I like to dust the fish (usually catfish where I live)
with masa harina and then pan fry it with peanut oil or grapeseed oil,
or something else without flavor of its own. Some light slaw, usually
made with Nappa cabbage, some bottled hot sauce, fresh corn tortillas,
and Bob's your uncle!

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 12:56 pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:

> Simple is good. I like to dust the fish (usually catfish where I live)
> with masa harina and then pan fry it with peanut oil or grapeseed oil,
> or something else without flavor of its own. Some light slaw, usually
> made with Nappa cabbage, some bottled hot sauce, fresh corn tortillas,
> and Bob's your uncle!
>
> David

P.S., kili, I'm sorry we don't have access to Chachies salsas. I'd
like to try them, but they have yet to come into our part of the
country. Too much local competition, maybe, here in Texas.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:01:11 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>My husband thought fish tacos sounded weird at first, too, and then he tried
>one.

This is a common "street food" on the coast cities in Mexico. Puerto
Vallarta has many vendors and they are sooooo goood!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> merryb" wrote:
>> "kilikini" wrote:
>>
>>> We found a new salsa that made the difference! Well, new to us,
>>> some of you may have tried it. We actually made the fish tacos last
>>> night

>> I thought fish tacos would be strange, but they can be pretty good.

> For me "fish taco" conjures up a hole nether image.
>
> Sheldon

I can imagine, you silly ass! :~)

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Best fish taco ever Janet B General Cooking 12 15-01-2015 12:44 AM
Fish Taco Contest aem General Cooking 17 24-11-2010 12:04 AM
Success! - (Was Previously - Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?) Alan S General Cooking 0 13-02-2006 03:50 PM