FoodBanter.com

-   -   Problem with George Foreman Grill (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1147-problem-george-foreman-grill.html)

HiC 06-10-2003 07:54 PM

Problem with George Foreman Grill

I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

Becca 06-10-2003 08:45 PM

Problem with George Foreman Grill

> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
> cuts of meat.

The problem is the meat. Try again.

Becca

jmcquown 06-10-2003 09:45 PM

HiC wrote:
> I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
> the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
> cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
> inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

I didn't see where you mentioned what cut of steak you're talking about. I
can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and tender,
so I doubt seriously it's the GF grill. On the other hand, I've also heard
these grills tend to steam meat. I'll stick with a real grill or the
broiler for steak (and no, I don't use the microwave for steaks; just that
one time as an experiment!)

Jill

Vicstanley 06-10-2003 09:52 PM

Problem with George Foreman Grill

>Subject: Problem with George Foreman Grill
>From: "jmcquown"
>Date: 10/06/2003 3:45 PM Central Daylight Time

>HiC wrote:
>> I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
>> the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
>> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good>>

cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
>> inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

>I didn't see where you mentioned what cut of steak you're talking about.

I>can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and
tender,>so I doubt seriously it's the GF grill. On the other hand, I've also
heard>these grills tend to steam meat. I'll stick with a real grill or the
>broiler for steak (and no, I don't use the microwave for steaks; just that
>one time as an experiment!)

Other problems with the George Foreman Grill:

- Impossible to evenly cook any piece of meat with a bone in it. Once the upper
cooking surface touches the bone there is no contact with the meat.

- World's crappiest non-stick surface. It wears off (and is probably ingested)
after very few uses.

- Impossible to clean without all kinds of horrible grease building up in areas
impossible to reach. The heating element should be removeable so it can be
completely immersed.

Solution - get a good grill pan.

DRB 07-10-2003 04:52 AM

"Vicstanley" > wrote in message
> - Impossible to evenly cook any piece of meat with a bone in it. Once the

upper
> cooking surface touches the bone there is no contact with the meat.

Never done meat with bone it, so can't really comment

> - World's crappiest non-stick surface. It wears off (and is probably

ingested)
> after very few uses.

Really? I 've had mine for 2 years, and the non-stick sturface is still
totally intact... Did you follow the care and use instructions exactly?

> - Impossible to clean without all kinds of horrible grease building up in

areas
> impossible to reach. The heating element should be removeable so it can be
> completely immersed.

Never had any cleaning problems...

barry 07-10-2003 05:33 PM

Problem with George Foreman Grill

Sounds like he forgot to boil the steak first.

Barry

Doug Norris 07-10-2003 05:39 PM

Steve Wertz > writes:

>On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:45:52 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:

>>I can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and tender

>Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.

Damn straight. Hunt's is thirty cents less for a reason.

Doug

Spud 07-10-2003 10:34 PM

Problem with George Foreman Grill

> Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.
>
> -sw

Heinz is my fave-or-ite! Big ol' steak fries. Yum!

Spud

Red Hook 08-10-2003 05:31 PM

Problem with George Foreman Grill

On 10/6/03 11:54 AM, in article
, "HiC"
> wrote:

> I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
> the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
> cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
> inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

Take a little pity on the trumpet player, gang. He doesn't get much oxygen.
HiC, here's what you really need to do to improve your cooking on the GF and
impress the ladies:

1. Get an eBay account.
2. Sell the George Forman grill.
3. Buy a Weber Smokey Joe. Really, all you were doing was frying steaks
anyway. Grilled cheese, hamburgers, no problem. But steaks?
4. Cook with fire. Chicks dig fire.
5. When you've mastered the Smokey Joe, get a WSM. Chicks dig fire with
smoke.

Much like Arban, these steps require practice. And beer. But I bet uou got
that part handled, right?

red

MrAoD 09-10-2003 03:50 PM

Problem with George Foreman Grill

Red Hook informs us:

>On 10/6/03 11:54 AM, in article
, "HiC"
> wrote:
>
>> I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
>> the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
>> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
>> cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
>> inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

As red says, the problem is inherent to the Foreman grill. Because the heating
elements sandwich the meat you're essentially steaming it.

>Take a little pity on the trumpet player, gang. He doesn't get much oxygen.
>HiC, here's what you really need to do to improve your cooking on the GF and
>impress the ladies:
>
>1. Get an eBay account.
>2. Sell the George Forman grill.
>3. Buy a Weber Smokey Joe. Really, all you were doing was frying steaks
>anyway.

Steaming. If you'll refer to the thread entitled "mmmm . . .prime rib" you'll
find several perfectly acceptable methods of preparing a stovetop steak.
Flash-fry by preheating a cast-iron pan in a 450 degree oven, slap the steak
into it on a high burner . . .

>4. Cook with fire. Chicks dig fire.

Depends on the chick, I've found.

>5. When you've mastered the Smokey Joe, get a WSM. Chicks dig fire with
>smoke.

Eh, smoking a steak is kinda beside the point. I've used cherrywood,
applewood, and grape vine on the fire to cook steaks, adds a little something,
but it's certainly not smoking, hot or cold.

>Much like Arban, these steps require practice. And beer. But I bet uou got
>that part handled, right?

Amen.

Best,

Marc