Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner-Pot Roast-Kasha

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I've thawed out a bottom round roast in the fridge. I was trying to decide
> what to do with it. Found this recipe which sounded interest, although
> rather bland. I don't like that the roast is not seasoned with anything,
> not even s&p. If I make this I'll season the roast with s&p and I'll put
> little slits in the roast and stuff with slivers of garlic. It's either
> this or I'll cube the roast up and make one hell of a beef stew with it. I
> thought about making some Italian beef sammiches out of it but it snowed
> last night and I want comfort food
>

> POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLE GRAVY AND
> KASHA
>
> POT ROAST:
>
> 3-4 lb. bottom round (well trimmed)
>
> Sear roast in a heavy cooking pot. Cover bottom with a little shortening.
> Remove from pot when all sides of roast are seared.
>
> VEGETABLE GRAVY:
>
> 2-3 lg. onions, chopped
> 2 sliced carrots
> 2 stalks celery, sliced
> 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
> Clove of garlic (optional)
>
> Add above to pot, saute for 6 or 7 minutes over low flame. Sprinkle
> vegetables with salt and 2 teaspoons of paprika. Return meat to pot and add
> 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours. Pot should be covered during
> cooking. Check occasionally to make sure liquid does not completely
> evaporate. Add more water if needed.
>
> KASHA:
>
> 1 box med. sized buckwheat groats
> 3 tbsp. shortening (rendered chicken fat, butter)
> 2 eggs
> Boiling salted water
>
> Heat buckwheat (in heavy bottom pan) stirring constantly until it is too
> hot to touch. With a wire whisk beat eggs then add melted shortening until
> completely blended. Add mixture to heated groats. Stir until it is
> completely absorbed by groats. Put groats into oven proof deep baking dish.
> Pour boiling water over groats until they are just covered (do not stir).
> Bake in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 1/2 hour or until water is
> completely absorbed. Yet grains separate easily. Serve with vegetable
> gravy.
> Remove meat to hot platter. Thicken vegetable gravy. (In pint jar filled
> with cold water until 3/4 full add 1/3 cup flour, shake until thoroughly
> blended, add to vegetables, heat to boiling and simmer 5 minutes.)

I don't like bottom round for pot roast. Instead I'd trim out all the
gristle and silver skin and cut into chunks (stew meat), makes a
flavorful beef stew... use one of the sweet n' sour braised brisket
recipes, or whatever.

If you cook your kasha according to that method you will end up dumping
it into the trash, even the birds won't want it, it'll be mushy sludge.

First off choose the whole grain style.
The entire box should be about 2 cups so blend with two beaten eggs,
let it set until absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Then toast mixture in a heavy pot with a little fat, stirring
constantly, leaving a few lumps is fine. Then remove toasted kasha to
a bowl and sweat a large diced onion in some butter, then add a couple
ribs diced celery. Meanwhile heat 3+ cups water or stock to simmering.
Add kasha to pot. Pour in hot water, carefully, it will steam. Add
black pepper and salt. Add sliced mushrooms, canned are fine if thats
what you have... use liquid as part of your stock. Bring pot to the
boil, give it a stir, cover and lower heat to a bare simmer. Set a
timer for ten minutes, no more. Remove from heat and let pot sit ten
minutes, no peeking. Then fluff and serve. Or cook kasha ahead and
place in a caserole and reheat in oven just before serving, at 350ºF,
20 minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered.

Sheldon