DP

Default Holiday-themed lunch for group

Hello,

I'll be hosting a group of about 6 women, on a weekend in early
December, for a holiday-themed luncheon. For what it's worth, the
"bar" for this luncheon has been set fairly high by some of the other
members. I am a little nervous because I rarely prepare and serve
group meals.

I would appreciate suggestions for a menu and recipes, that:

--As much as possible, can be made ahead
--Has an elegant touch
--Has one vegetarian option (one of the members is vegetarian, but I
don't think the whole meal needs to be vegetarian simply because she
is).

I would also be very grateful for suggestions on how to store the
made-ahead items, and serving tips. Especially serving tips! For
example, I have space to set out a buffet, but don't know the smartest
way to set one out.

Thanks,

DP
Dave Smith

DP wrote:

> I would appreciate suggestions for a menu and recipes, that:
>
> --As much as possible, can be made ahead
> --Has an elegant touch
> --Has one vegetarian option (one of the members is vegetarian, but I
> don't think the whole meal needs to be vegetarian simply because she
> is).

How about a relish tray with olives, pickles, radishes etc. That should
take care of the vegetarian. By "holiday theme" I assume that you mean
either Thanksgiving or Christmas, both of which call for a good sized
roast, usually turkey.

Sorry, but people who adopt fad diets can't expect to be catered to in
group situations. Most vegetarians cheat and sneak meat once in a while,
so they might as well come clean and partake in flesh when being
entertained
:-)

> I would also be very grateful for suggestions on how to store the
> made-ahead items, and serving tips. Especially serving tips! For
> example, I have space to set out a buffet, but don't know the smartest
> way to set one out.

I did Coquilles St. Jacques the other day and they were incredibly easy,
and not at all time consuming. Lightly fried some chopped scallion in
butter, added white whine, poached scallops and sliced mushrooms, removed
same, reduced stock. Made a roue, added stock, then added some heavy cream
with a beaten egg in it and a squeeze of lemon juice, a bit of seasoning.
Put the scallops and mushrooms on shells (or oven proof dishes) top with
a mixture of bread crumbs and grated Parmesan and a small dab of
butter..... broil and serve.

Puester

Dave Smith wrote:

> DP wrote:
>

> > I would appreciate suggestions for a menu and recipes, that:
> >
> > --As much as possible, can be made ahead
> > --Has an elegant touch
> > --Has one vegetarian option (one of the members is vegetarian, but I
> > don't think the whole meal needs to be vegetarian simply because she
> > is).

> How about a relish tray with olives, pickles, radishes etc. That should
> take care of the vegetarian.

As long as she doesn't expect to eat much!

> Sorry, but people who adopt fad diets can't expect to be catered to in
> group situations. Most vegetarians cheat and sneak meat once in a while,
> so they might as well come clean and partake in flesh when being
> entertained

You are assuming it's a fad diet. Many vegetarians are
life-long avoiders of meat, or are on a diet prescribed for
health or religious reasons. Assuming it's a "fad" is
presumtuous and unkind.

> I did Coquilles St. Jacques the other day and they were incredibly easy,
> and not at all time consuming.

Delicious, but not something you want to do while your guests
are waiting, however. She needs something she can do ahead
and cook or reheat that morning. Coquilles might fit that
description, but many poeple don't like fish or shellfish.

I suggest some kind of casserole like Turkey Tetrazzini,
something creamy and rich containing meat, pasta and
mushrooms, or a luxurious homemade soup (lobster bisque?),
a pretty bowl with green salad plus rolls or croissants.
Dessert could be a tiny scoop of an exotic sherbet/sorbet
with a nice assortment of cookies.

Presentation on a buffet can be as easy as your best
serving pieces (or you can rent them!) plus seasonal
flowers scattered on the cloth or small pots of flowers,
less costly than cut flower bouquets. Dried flowers
or evergreen greenery cut from the garden works, too.

gloria p
-L.

Dave Smith > wrote in message >...
> DP wrote:
>

> > I would appreciate suggestions for a menu and recipes, that:
> >
> > --As much as possible, can be made ahead
> > --Has an elegant touch
> > --Has one vegetarian option (one of the members is vegetarian, but I
> > don't think the whole meal needs to be vegetarian simply because she
> > is).

> How about a relish tray with olives, pickles, radishes etc. That should
> take care of the vegetarian.

Pfft!

> By "holiday theme" I assume that you mean
> either Thanksgiving or Christmas, both of which call for a good sized
> roast, usually turkey.
>
> Sorry, but people who adopt fad diets

Vegetarianism isn't a fad diet, it is a way of life. Many people are
veg for religious, philosphical and cultural reasons.

>can't expect to be catered to in
> group situations.

It is rude not to serve food that you know your guests can eat, if you
are aware of their dietary restrictions ahead of time.

>Most vegetarians cheat and sneak meat once in a while,

Not any veg heads I know. Otherwise, they aren't vegetarians.

-L.
-L.

(DP) wrote in message . com>...
> Hello,
>
> I'll be hosting a group of about 6 women, on a weekend in early
> December, for a holiday-themed luncheon. For what it's worth, the
> "bar" for this luncheon has been set fairly high by some of the other
> members. I am a little nervous because I rarely prepare and serve
> group meals.

Hot or cold dishes? There are a myriad of possibilities.

I entertain a lot. One thing I do routinely is: I make a bunch of
different appetizers ahead of time- I make a couple of types of fun
pinwheels using tortillas spead with spreads (hummus, flavored cream
cheese, whatever) and minced veggies - spinach, olives, pimento, etc.
I also serve other aps like hummus and pitas, dips, cheese, meats and
crackers, creduite, etc., and let people graze for an hour or so with
a champagne cocktail. All of the aps can be prepared ahead and stored
in the fridge - the rolled up tortillas for pinwheels can be wrapped
in plastic and frozen for a couple days - thaw in fridge for at least
two hours before cutting to serve. Cut when still partially frozen
with a SHARP knife, and arrange on serving tray immediately.

For the main meal: Prepare a marinated salad with veggies cut in fun
shapes (stars, moons, flowers - using mini cookie cutters) and just
before serving, pop some edible flowers on top. Make some type of
rice dish or potato dish (cook it completely an hour ahead of serving
time and keep it warm in a crock pot), and serve with roasted meat
(often chicken with mushrooms and onions, and/or roast beef). While
roasting the meat I also make roasted ratatouille (onions, red and
green peppers, eggplant, celeriac, portobellas, garlic) as a main for
the vegetarians, but everyone likes it so I make a lot - you can serve
it with grated smoked provalone (on the side if anyone is vegan), and
it is incredible. Serve some warmed bread with flavored (garlic
and/or onion) and plain butters it makes a nice meal. Keep desserts
light - sorbets, fruit trays, light coffee cake, etc.

<snip>

>Especially serving tips! For
> example, I have space to set out a buffet, but don't know the smartest
> way to set one out.

If you have a large table you can create a tiered effect by placing
sturdy cardboard boxes down the center (or across the back if it is
against a wall) and covering the entire table with a large table
cloth. Use decorative fabric or placemats to attractively cover the
boxes - and put your cold foods and breads on the upper tier. I
always put only the dinner plates at the end of the buffet, and
utensils, etc. (napkins, silverware, cups) go on another table, so
people don't have to shuffle hands while serving. Desserts go on a
separate table, as well, with coffee/tea/drink selections at one end.
I often have a separate bar area and let people serve themselves. I
limit alcohol to wine, champagne and beer. I use lots of fresh
flowers to decorate. Since it will be around the holidays, you have
many possibilities. Remember that not everyone celebrates the same
holiday, so unless I know everyone well, I tend to keep my decor
generic "holiday" decor - snow flakes, snowmen, gold and silver,
holly, etc.

best of luck,
-L.

jmcquown

DP wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll be hosting a group of about 6 women, on a weekend in early
> December, for a holiday-themed luncheon. For what it's worth, the
> "bar" for this luncheon has been set fairly high by some of the other
> members. I am a little nervous because I rarely prepare and serve
> group meals.
>
> I would appreciate suggestions for a menu and recipes, that:
>
> --As much as possible, can be made ahead
> --Has an elegant touch
> --Has one vegetarian option (one of the members is vegetarian, but I
> don't think the whole meal needs to be vegetarian simply because she
> is).
>
> I would also be very grateful for suggestions on how to store the
> made-ahead items, and serving tips. Especially serving tips! For
> example, I have space to set out a buffet, but don't know the smartest
> way to set one out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DP

Presentation should be fairly easy. First of all, if you are serving warm
food in a buffet setting, you will want warmers that don't require
electrical cords running all over the place. Think chafing dishes.

http://www.chaferdepot.com/

Then too, relish trays and veggies with dip should be fairly easy.

Jill

Dave Smith

Puester wrote:

> > Sorry, but people who adopt fad diets can't expect to be catered to in
> > group situations. Most vegetarians cheat and sneak meat once in a while,
> > so they might as well come clean and partake in flesh when being
> > entertained

> You are assuming it's a fad diet. Many vegetarians are
> life-long avoiders of meat, or are on a diet prescribed for
> health or religious reasons. Assuming it's a "fad" is
> presumtuous and unkind.

I am basing it on the basis of the people I have known who have tried
vegetarian diets. None of them lasted very long on it, and it does indeed to
seem to run in cycles. Granted, there are some people who belong to religious
groups who practice vegetarianism. Bear in mind that the OP was talking about
a holiday theme. If I were going to a Hindu feast, I would expect not to find
meat. When I go to a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I expect a big roast of
some sort.

We have my wife's family down every year after Christmas and put on a buffet.
Two years ago my nephew brought along his 16 year old daughter, a newly
recruited vegan. He said that he had meant to bring something for his daughter
but had forgotten it had home. That left my wife to scramble around to try to
find something that met her approval. So there she was poring over the lists of
ingredients of everything that she was offered and rejecting just about
everything. Frankly, when I am entertaining 16-20 people, the last thing I
need to be doing at the last minute is to waste my time trying to appease
someone who is bragging about her new found and self imposed dietary
restrictions.

> > I did Coquilles St. Jacques the other day and they were incredibly easy,
> > and not at all time consuming.

> Delicious, but not something you want to do while your guests
> are waiting, however. She needs something she can do ahead
> and cook or reheat that morning. Coquilles might fit that
> description, but many poeple don't like fish or shellfish.

Have you never been to someone's home for dinner and been served something that
you do not like? Many of us were raised to eat what was served and pretend that
you like it.

> I suggest some kind of casserole like Turkey Tetrazzini,
> something creamy and rich containing meat, pasta and
> mushrooms, or a luxurious homemade soup (lobster bisque?),
> a pretty bowl with green salad plus rolls or croissants.
> Dessert could be a tiny scoop of an exotic sherbet/sorbet
> with a nice assortment of cookies.

Sound good, but everything there, other than the salad would not be suitable
for a vegetarian, except perhaps the salad.

Dimitri

"DP" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> I'll be hosting a group of about 6 women, on a weekend in early
> December, for a holiday-themed luncheon. For what it's worth, the
> "bar" for this luncheon has been set fairly high by some of the other
> members. I am a little nervous because I rarely prepare and serve
> group meals.
>
> I would appreciate suggestions for a menu and recipes, that:
>
> --As much as possible, can be made ahead
> --Has an elegant touch
> --Has one vegetarian option (one of the members is vegetarian, but I
> don't think the whole meal needs to be vegetarian simply because she
> is).
>
> I would also be very grateful for suggestions on how to store the
> made-ahead items, and serving tips. Especially serving tips! For
> example, I have space to set out a buffet, but don't know the smartest
> way to set one out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DP

Setting an elegant buffet involves several easy steps:

1. Make sure each plate/platter is nicely arranged.
2. Make sure the food is in a logical pattern starting with the salads,
cold items and moving on to the hot items..
3. You may want to separate the service, that is to say have 2 plates or
3 so people can go back for each course i.e. cold, hot, & dessert. If you
are going top do that make sure the place to put the dirty dishes is
obvious.
4. IMHO Linen napkins always add a "classy" touch.
5. Use risers where it makes sense. Platters at different levels make a
more dramatic presentation. Remember we tend to "eat with our eyes" first.
Make sure the centerpiece doesn't "overpower the food presentation.
6. Use an oversized table cloth or piece of cloth to cover the risers.
7. If possible chill or warm the plates as necessary.

Cold lightly grilled vegetables with an olive oil vinaigrette (on the side)
make a lovely presentation.

Separate condiments for salads are always nice, separate croutons, crumbled
blue cheese, tomato wedges etc.

For the main course a warm pasta or baked pasta using artichoke hearts and
sun dried tomatoes would be nice.

Good Luck

Dimitri

Diana

To avoid any last minute "there's no room" surprises, I sometimes do a
trial layout by placing the serving dishes on the table. I then make a
map of the table listing each dish, which serving dish will be used, and
where it goes. It sound obssessive, but my some of my serving pieces
are large and my table is rather small.

Diana

Dimitri wrote:
> "DP" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'll be hosting a group of about 6 women, on a weekend in early
>>December, for a holiday-themed luncheon. For what it's worth, the
>>"bar" for this luncheon has been set fairly high by some of the other
>>members. I am a little nervous because I rarely prepare and serve
>>group meals.
>>
>>I would appreciate suggestions for a menu and recipes, that:
>>
>>--As much as possible, can be made ahead
>>--Has an elegant touch
>>--Has one vegetarian option (one of the members is vegetarian, but I
>>don't think the whole meal needs to be vegetarian simply because she
>>is).
>>
>>I would also be very grateful for suggestions on how to store the
>>made-ahead items, and serving tips. Especially serving tips! For
>>example, I have space to set out a buffet, but don't know the smartest
>>way to set one out.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>DP

> Setting an elegant buffet involves several easy steps:
>
> 1. Make sure each plate/platter is nicely arranged.
> 2. Make sure the food is in a logical pattern starting with the salads,
> cold items and moving on to the hot items..
> 3. You may want to separate the service, that is to say have 2 plates or
> 3 so people can go back for each course i.e. cold, hot, & dessert. If you
> are going top do that make sure the place to put the dirty dishes is
> obvious.
> 4. IMHO Linen napkins always add a "classy" touch.
> 5. Use risers where it makes sense. Platters at different levels make a
> more dramatic presentation. Remember we tend to "eat with our eyes" first.
> Make sure the centerpiece doesn't "overpower the food presentation.
> 6. Use an oversized table cloth or piece of cloth to cover the risers.
> 7. If possible chill or warm the plates as necessary.
>

> Cold lightly grilled vegetables with an olive oil vinaigrette (on the side)
> make a lovely presentation.
>
> Separate condiments for salads are always nice, separate croutons, crumbled
> blue cheese, tomato wedges etc.
>
> For the main course a warm pasta or baked pasta using artichoke hearts and
> sun dried tomatoes would be nice.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri

"Diana" > wrote in message
> To avoid any last minute "there's no room" surprises, I sometimes do a
> trial layout by placing the serving dishes on the table. I then make a
> map of the table listing each dish, which serving dish will be used, and
> where it goes. It sound obssessive, but my some of my serving pieces
> are large and my table is rather small.
>
> Diana

I'm sure that is great advise.

Dimitri

Rick & Cyndi

"Diana" > wrote in message
: To avoid any last minute "there's no room" surprises, I
sometimes do a
: trial layout by placing the serving dishes on the table. I
then make a
: map of the table listing each dish, which serving dish will be
used, and
: where it goes. It sound obssessive, but my some of my serving
pieces
: are large and my table is rather small.
:
: Diana
:=======

Not obsessive at all (unless I am too!). I not only do that but
also put a little note inside each of the serving dishes so that
I know which item will go in which bowl/platter...etc.. I then
make sure the settings are clean/polished and set out everything
that I can, in advance, and cover them with a sheet or
tablecloth.

I also make sure there is room on the serving table for the
guests to set their plate down to make filling them more easy. I
find it easier to have a separate area for doing the beverages
too.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Louise Lewis

how about a nice carrot raisin salad...or if not vegan a veggie gelatine
mold...mini egg plant parms...mini crustinis with a variety of spreads
stuffed mushroom caps and artichoke hearts
cheese stuffed olives an dates
mini cream puffs and or eclairs. and canolis
maccaroons, choc dipped strawberries
pasta and rice with a multi choice of sauces on the side
and variety ofmeats that could be added..grilled chicken..and veggies
a nice spinach salad with choice of two dressings
all this could then could be eaten by either vegitarian or not...if set
up buffet style
sounds like fun....