Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Edible film

No, I don't mean the movies. It's the title of an article
in the Wegman's circular this week.

The author mentions that you can get Gas-X film strips, the
kind that melt on your tongue. Supposedly a more discreet
way of avoiding that certain problem when you eat those certain
foods.

Then she talked about their ham. This is the place where I got
my Prime prime rib, they have the good stuff at this supermarket.
I haven't tried their ham, but she says that their ham is glazed with
a form of this edible film-it looks like a fruit roll-up and melts over
the ham. Interesting, I thought.

She thought it would be a good thing to put between tomato and
pizza dough to make for a better frozen pizza. I worded that badly,
to keep the crust from becoming soggy. Obviously the film would
be no flavor or tomato flavor. Hey, or pepperoni flavor, since we're
making up stuff.

Then she derailed and had a major brain cramp. She thinks it
would be a great thing to use in sushi instead of seaweed! You
crazy, lady? (laugh) I take it she doesn't like seaweed. She's
a fruit roll-up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> No, I don't mean the movies. It's the title of an article
> in the Wegman's circular this week.
>
> The author mentions that you can get Gas-X film strips, the
> kind that melt on your tongue. Supposedly a more discreet
> way of avoiding that certain problem when you eat those certain
> foods.
>
> Then she talked about their ham. This is the place where I got
> my Prime prime rib, they have the good stuff at this supermarket.
> I haven't tried their ham, but she says that their ham is glazed with
> a form of this edible film-it looks like a fruit roll-up and melts over
> the ham. Interesting, I thought.
>
> She thought it would be a good thing to put between tomato and
> pizza dough to make for a better frozen pizza. I worded that badly,
> to keep the crust from becoming soggy. Obviously the film would
> be no flavor or tomato flavor. Hey, or pepperoni flavor, since we're
> making up stuff.
>
> Then she derailed and had a major brain cramp. She thinks it
> would be a great thing to use in sushi instead of seaweed! You
> crazy, lady? (laugh) I take it she doesn't like seaweed.
>
>She's a fruit roll-up.

I just know there's got to be a good licking ******* joke in there.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Then she talked about their ham. This is the place where I got
> my Prime prime rib, they have the good stuff at this supermarket.
> I haven't tried their ham, but she says that their ham is glazed with
> a form of this edible film-it looks like a fruit roll-up and melts over
> the ham. Interesting, I thought.

I read the article at www.wegmans.com. I wonder what the ingredients are it's
made of.

I tried to search for that ham to get a better idea but didn't find it but
did notice they sell irradiated ground beef.

They both sound a little too artificial or maybe "suspect" is a better word.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...
>
>> Then she talked about their ham. This is the place where I got
>> my Prime prime rib, they have the good stuff at this supermarket.
>> I haven't tried their ham, but she says that their ham is glazed with
>> a form of this edible film-it looks like a fruit roll-up and melts over
>> the ham. Interesting, I thought.

> I read the article at www.wegmans.com. I wonder what the ingredients are
> it's
> made of.

I figure gelatin, along those lines.

> I tried to search for that ham to get a better idea but didn't find it but
> did notice they sell irradiated ground beef.
>
> They both sound a little too artificial or maybe "suspect" is a better
> word.

I guess you're not carrying those mouthwash strips.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I guess you're not carrying those mouthwash strips.

nancy,

I carry the coolMint pocket packs and dental floss.

I just have lot of questions, what's the food version made of?, what's the
point?, how much does it add to the price of the ham?, is it safe? does it
require FDA approval?, etc.

The writer didn't really get down to the nuts and bolts of the stuff. I sent
them an e-mail asking for more details.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...
>
>> I guess you're not carrying those mouthwash strips.

> I carry the coolMint pocket packs and dental floss.

Heh. Well, it's the same technology.

> I just have lot of questions, what's the food version made of?,

If the mouthwash strips are edible, why do you think it's different if
it's food flavored?

> what's the
> point?, how much does it add to the price of the ham?, is it safe? does it
> require FDA approval?, etc.

I'm sure they aren't whipping stuff up in a lab somewhere.

> The writer didn't really get down to the nuts and bolts of the stuff. I
> sent
> them an e-mail asking for more details.

Let us know, but I'm certain no one is going to be poisoned with the
ham glaze.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote
> > Nancy Young said...
> >
> >> I guess you're not carrying those mouthwash strips.

> > I carry the coolMint pocket packs and dental floss.

> Heh. Well, it's the same technology.
> >
> > I just have lot of questions, what's the food version made of?,

> If the mouthwash strips are edible, why do you think it's different if
> it's food flavored?
>
> > what's the
> > point?, how much does it add to the price of the ham?, is it safe? does it
> > require FDA approval?, etc.

> I'm sure they aren't whipping stuff up in a lab somewhere.
>
> > The writer didn't really get down to the nuts and bolts of the stuff. I
> > sent
> > them an e-mail asking for more details.

> Let us know, but I'm certain no one is going to be poisoned with the
> ham glaze.

Hehe: http://www.nawtythings.com/edible.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:54:05 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young said...
>>
>>> Then she talked about their ham. This is the place where I got
>>> my Prime prime rib, they have the good stuff at this supermarket.
>>> I haven't tried their ham, but she says that their ham is glazed with
>>> a form of this edible film-it looks like a fruit roll-up and melts over
>>> the ham. Interesting, I thought.

>> I read the article at www.wegmans.com. I wonder what the ingredients are
>> it's
>> made of.

>I figure gelatin, along those lines.

I thought so too, but a little cybersleuthing revealed it's
polysaccharide (carbohydrate) called pullulan, patented by a Japanese
company and licensed to other companies such as Pfizer (for the breath
strips).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pullulan

I also found that the first water-soluble edible film was made by
Watson Inc. (a flour company) along with Dow Chemical around 1958 and
Pfizer was briefly interested at that time but dropped it.

http://www.watson-inc.com/about_history.php

I miss Wegmans!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > No, I don't mean the movies. It's the title of an article
> > in the Wegman's circular this week.
> >
> > The author mentions that you can get Gas-X film strips, the
> > kind that melt on your tongue. Supposedly a more discreet
> > way of avoiding that certain problem when you eat those certain
> > foods.
> >
> > Then she talked about their ham. This is the place where I got
> > my Prime prime rib, they have the good stuff at this supermarket.
> > I haven't tried their ham, but she says that their ham is glazed with
> > a form of this edible film-it looks like a fruit roll-up and melts over
> > the ham. Interesting, I thought.
> >
> > She thought it would be a good thing to put between tomato and
> > pizza dough to make for a better frozen pizza. I worded that badly,
> > to keep the crust from becoming soggy. Obviously the film would
> > be no flavor or tomato flavor. Hey, or pepperoni flavor, since we're
> > making up stuff.
> >
> > Then she derailed and had a major brain cramp. She thinks it
> > would be a great thing to use in sushi instead of seaweed! You
> > crazy, lady? (laugh) I take it she doesn't like seaweed.
> >
> >She's a fruit roll-up.

> I just know there's got to be a good licking ******* joke in there.

Years ago the Europeans experimented with a contraceptive called "C Film",
it was a piece of contraceptive film that could be place either in the
vagina or over the male glans. In the latter case I don't know if it were
flavored so a gal wouldn't gag when she "went down", e.g. fellated her
partner :-) :

http://www.doctoronline.nhs.uk/maste...s/spermcon.asp

"Spermicidal contraceptives - C Film, Delphen foam, Duracreme, Gynol II,
Ortho-creme

Always read the information sheet that comes with your medicine.

What does the medicine do?
When used with a barrier method, (condoms or diaphragm), they help with
contraception.

Is it habit forming?
No.

How long does it take to work?
It works immediately.

How do I use it?
Always use this form of contraception together with a condom or diaphragm.

When do I use it?
You are currently viewing our reduced public web site. For our full site,
please visit nww.doctoronline.nhs.uk on the NHS Net."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

C-film: a new spermicidal contraceptive

PIP: A report on the effectiveness of the spermicidal agent C-Film is
presented. C-Film is a 5-cm square of polyvinyl alcohol impregnated with 67
mg of nonylphenoxypolyethoxyethanol (Nonyl-9). C-Film can be used by either
partner, though some difficulty has been reported in its use. In 1 study, no
pregnancies occurred among 15 couples during 8 months of use, though 4
pregnancies occurred during 183 cycles in another study and 6 pregnancies
occurred in a third study of 133 cycles. 10%-20% of the patients have
complained about vaginal irritation, but no evidence of vaginitis or
vulvitis was detected. C-Film may interfere with the diagnosis of gonorrhea.
It was concluded that the effectiveness of C-Film is no greater than that of
other spermicides and should be used in conjunction with other contraceptive
methods"

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Cellulose is used to make a lot of those edible films and such. I
> have some I use for 'cigarette papers. They work pretty good and
> don't have any discernible taste.
>
> -sw

"Cigarette papers"...Um hummm.....suuuure.....

-L.
("The Chills Queen")

Jon Favreau film “Chef” premiering at SXSW Film Travis McGee General Cooking 18 11-01-2014 06:19 PM
Trolling in AFB: A Documentary Film Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 1 05-08-2006 01:10 AM
Wine & Film Pairings winemonger Wine 25 09-12-2004 04:08 PM
elderberry film Roger Fuller Winemaking 5 22-10-2003 10:16 PM