Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Millet?

Interesting stuff.

I just made some according to the directions (toast it in a dab of oil
then cook it like steamed rice) and ate it straight, then added a shake
of salt.

It tasted like a cross between corn, oats, and rice, and had a texture
somewhere between breadcrumbs and barley, or couscous.

To the eye it was fluffy but moist, and shaped like miniaturized
popcorn.

I dislike polenta, but I'd eat this in its place in a shot.

I'll have to see how it takes to seasonings. At first it wanted
sweetening, with honey or some small bits of fruit. But it might be a
good base for savory or spicy flavors as well. Fresh chile peppers of
various kinds, for example.

The house smells like corn tortillas.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never tried it before....sounds like it might be good with butter &
salt....might have to try it!
~Sue

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Interesting stuff.
>
> I just made some according to the directions (toast it in a dab of oil
> then cook it like steamed rice) and ate it straight, then added a shake
> of salt.
>
> It tasted like a cross between corn, oats, and rice, and had a texture
> somewhere between breadcrumbs and barley, or couscous.
>
> To the eye it was fluffy but moist, and shaped like miniaturized
> popcorn.
>
> I dislike polenta, but I'd eat this in its place in a shot.
>
> I'll have to see how it takes to seasonings. At first it wanted
> sweetening, with honey or some small bits of fruit. But it might be a
> good base for savory or spicy flavors as well. Fresh chile peppers of
> various kinds, for example.
>
> The house smells like corn tortillas.
>
> --Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
message
oups.com

My bird loves millet and I don't have to cook it for her. Never heard of
using it for human consumption but hey, what do I know?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> My bird loves millet and I don't have to cook it for her. Never heard of
> using it for human consumption but hey, what do I know?

It's easily available in health food stores, IME. A coworker of mine eats it
almost every day. It only needs low effort cooking (easier than rice,
similar to couscous, quinoa and bulgur) and it's a very versatile product.

In other words: it's worth trying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> > My bird loves millet and I don't have to cook it for her. Never heard of
> > using it for human consumption but hey, what do I know?
> >

> It's easily available in health food stores, IME. A coworker of mine eats it
> almost every day. It only needs low effort cooking (easier than rice,
> similar to couscous, quinoa and bulgur) and it's a very versatile product.
>
> In other words: it's worth trying

Harder than rice. Rice is just boil and wait. Millet is toast, boil,
and wait 10 minutes longer.

I'm still thinking of things it would go well with. Stuff that needs
corny/blandish accompaniment. Rice does blandish accompaniment well.
It's the corny part that makes this interesting. And by corny I don't
mean like boiled corn, more like crumbled corn tortilla.

I bought mine in the healthy-food section of Fry's (Kroger's et al).
The Safeway had a similar section, with bags of health-nut whole
grains. But Fry's is bigger, and had the millet.

One of Cat's kids was looking for it while they were here, but we
didn't go by Fry's.

The only time I'd ever heard of millet before was that one line in The
Seven Samurai where one of the villagers, stuck in the city for months,
and poor, screams that he's tired of eating it, and wishes he had rice.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Blair P. Houghton" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...

>> In other words: it's worth trying

> Harder than rice. Rice is just boil and wait. Millet is toast, boil,
> and wait 10 minutes longer.

To the best of my knowledge, my coworker simply boils it. I am sure toasting
adds flavor - if it comes up, I'll discusss this with thjim to see what his
experiences have been like and what he might recommend, aside from your
information .

> I'm still thinking of things it would go well with. Stuff that needs
> corny/blandish accompaniment. Rice does blandish accompaniment well.
> It's the corny part that makes this interesting. And by corny I don't
> mean like boiled corn, more like crumbled corn tortilla.

If you like stewed/braised/roast winter vegetables, you might like them with
it. Or maybe a lamb stew, one that isn't too thick or heavy in flavor? Or
one with poultry?

> I bought mine in the healthy-food section of Fry's (Kroger's et al).
> The Safeway had a similar section, with bags of health-nut whole
> grains. But Fry's is bigger, and had the millet.
>
> One of Cat's kids was looking for it while they were here, but we
> didn't go by Fry's.
>
> The only time I'd ever heard of millet before was that one line in The
> Seven Samurai where one of the villagers, stuck in the city for months,
> and poor, screams that he's tired of eating it, and wishes he had rice.

Now I have a reason to watch that movie: food

> --Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l > wrote:
>On 31-Dec-2006, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>Never thought of cooking the millet and eating it as a side dish; I may have
>to give it a try. I like other grains, such as barley and wheat berries,
>cooked and served as a side or as a salad-type dish.

Thanks for reminding me.

I noticed on Friday that Sprouts markets have bulk-aisle
"hulled millet" (identical to what I got at Fry's) for
$0.97/lb (the stuff in the froofy packaging at Fry's was
like $3).

--Blair

millet burgers pamjd General Cooking 0 22-10-2011 01:19 PM
Millet Julie Bove Diabetic 6 08-11-2008 06:27 AM
Millet (5) Collection Faith C Recipes (moderated) 0 01-03-2007 01:48 AM
millet andyv General Cooking 5 05-05-2006 01:38 PM
Millet (5) Collection Faith C Recipes (moderated) 0 30-06-2005 04:47 AM