Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can't remember how to make mashed potato pancakes

Heya folks,

I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
potatoes. I want to make some now...

Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
shape.

I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
sure what else.

So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
on the outside..and hold their shape well?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
> Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
> know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
> gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
> shape.
>
> I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
> sure what else.
>
> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
> on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>
> Christine

Perhaps a little beaten egg mixed in as well as some onion? And what
about dusting them in flour before frying?
I don't make them, but that's what I would do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:11:24 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
>> on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>>
>> Christine

>Perhaps a little beaten egg mixed in as well as some onion? And what
>about dusting them in flour before frying?
>I don't make them, but that's what I would do.

Hm..dusting them in flour might work...

Thanks...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:11:24 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>

>>Christine Dabney wrote:

>>>So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
>>>on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>>>
>>>Christine

>>Perhaps a little beaten egg mixed in as well as some onion? And what
>>about dusting them in flour before frying?
>>I don't make them, but that's what I would do.

> Hm..dusting them in flour might work...
>
> Thanks...
>
> Christine

Potato Gnocchi is made with the addition to the potatoes, butter, egg
yolks, whole eggs, flour and a little salt, though traditionally poached
in salted water they can just as easily be pan fried till nicely browned
on both sides.

Grated cheese can be added to mashed potatoes and formed into small
cakes and baked.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
> Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
> know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
> gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
> shape.
>
> I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
> sure what else.
>
> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
> on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>
> Christine

As far as I can recall, my mom makes hers by mixing mashed potatoes
with some onion, bread crumbs, an egg, and salt and pepper. She lets
them sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before frying them.
That allows everything to bind together so they don't fall apart when
they're fried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Heya folks,
>
> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
> Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
> know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
> gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
> shape.
>
> I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
> sure what else.
>
> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
> on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>
> Christine

My Grandma always made them for my Irish Grandad by mixing in an egg, then
adding enough self raising flour so that the mixture could be formed into
soft pancakes, they were then lightly dusted with flour and fried in bacon
drippings. They were always my favourite as a kid, served with bacon and egg
or cauliflour cheese!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:05:47 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya folks,
>
>I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
>potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
>Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
>know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
>gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
>shape.
>
>I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
>sure what else.
>
>So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
>on the outside..and hold their shape well?

My mom added egg chris. I think you need to consider how much mashed
potato you have and what one egg will do to it. If they are loose,
you may have to consider adding some flour to bind.

If I just had a little 1-2 cups of it.... I'd consider just adding
some grated cheese and frying it up that way. Not traditional, but it
appeals to me.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Heya folks,
>
> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
> Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
> know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
> gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
> shape.
>
> I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
> sure what else.
>
> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
> on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>
> Christine

The number of eggs added depends on how much left over mashed spuds you
have.

I usually add at least 1 egg some green onion and some minced garlic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The local Z'Tejas has taken to serving mashies with one side seared.

Tasty, but dangerous.

Let just one serving get left to burn instead of brown, and the whole
restaurant will know.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
> Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
> know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
> gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
> shape. [snip]

I think it depends on how you made the mashed potatoes. When I just
use milk or half and half I can make patties that hold together without
any additions. When I use sour cream instead of milk the patties won't
hold together. I don't try to make patties from them, but if I did I
would try adding a beaten egg and then a little flour. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

add an onions, an egg and flour

--
Bernie
"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Heya folks,
>
> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
> Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
> know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
> gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
> shape.
>
> I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
> sure what else.
>
> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
> on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>
> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
> on the outside..and hold their shape well?

Use an egg wash on the outside, then coat lightly with fine cracker
crumbs/matzo meal. See full explanation in thread from a couple-three
days ago about how to prepare mashed potatoes in advance.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:05:47 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya folks,
>
>I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
>potatoes. I want to make some now...
>
>Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
>know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
>gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
>shape.
>
>I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
>sure what else.
>
>So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
>on the outside..and hold their shape well?

I've only made them once... but I added a beaten egg, a generous
helping of grated cheese, and some breadcrumbs. They came out soft on
the inside but crispy on the outside and they were delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 12:05 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>

> I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
> sure what else.
>
> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and crispy
> on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>
> Christine

My mother used to make them, too. She used chopped onion and a beaten
egg. Everybody in the family absolutely l-o-v-e-d them but I found
them way too greasy for my palate. Oh well, the rest enjoyed them and
there were never any left.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> Heya folks,
>>
>> I grew up having mashed potato pancakes from the leftover mashed
>> potatoes. I want to make some now...
>>
>> Only thing is..I really can't remember how my mother did it.... I
>> know I have tried before..but mine always fell apart..and/or were too
>> gloppy.... My mother's always got nice and crisp..and kept their
>> shape.
>>
>> I think she must have added some onion or something like that.... Not
>> sure what else.
>>
>> So how do you all make mashed potato pancakes that are nice and
>> crispy on the outside..and hold their shape well?
>>
>> Christine

> Perhaps a little beaten egg mixed in as well as some onion? And what
> about dusting them in flour before frying?
> I don't make them, but that's what I would do.

Depends on the quantity of leftover mashed potatoes, but I always add at
least one beaten egg to the mix and yes, dust them lightly with flour. Also
chill them for a while to set before frying them.

Jill