Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 18th century French recipes on-line

For a while now I've been including an 18th century recipe (usually but
not always French) in a newsletter I do for a mailing list. Now I've
grouped links to a number of them on the main page:

http://www.chezjim.com/sundries

These include entrees from a meal served to Marie-Antoinette, ice cream
recipes from Thomas Jefferson and others, some specific dishes
associated with other major figures, etc. There's also an overview of
the differences between the cuisine of three eras (medieval, 18th
century, modern).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, said:

> For a while now I've been including an 18th century recipe (usually but
> not always French) in a newsletter I do for a mailing list. Now I've
> grouped links to a number of them on the main page:

http://www.chezjim.com/sundries

> These include entrees from a meal served to Marie-Antoinette, ice cream
> recipes from Thomas Jefferson and others, some specific dishes
> associated with other major figures, etc. There's also an overview of
> the differences between the cuisine of three eras (medieval, 18th
> century, modern).

What an interesting newsletter! The recipe for "Chickens a la
tartare" was illuminating -- my first thought was "raw chicken??",
but quite the contrary. I loved the line instructing one to put the
chickens "in a pot with good butter and [...] all sorts of fines
herbes, except thyme and laruel". I wonder what the original author
found so offensive about thyme and "laruel"(sic?)?

Thanks for sharing, I've bookmarked the site for future perusal...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> but quite the contrary. I loved the line instructing one to put the
> chickens "in a pot with good butter and [...] all sorts of fines
> herbes, except thyme and laruel". I wonder what the original author
> found so offensive about thyme and "laruel"(sic?)?
>
> Thanks for sharing, I've bookmarked the site for future perusal...

Thanks for the comments. I've sometimes considered removing this item
from my newsletter, so all encouragement is welcome.
I'm afraid I take full responsibility for typos in my translations
(I've now fixed the above and two others). I do this stuff fast, and
even the spellchecker sometimes isn't enough. Any other critiques are
welcome.

Oh, and if anybody is ever brave enough to make lizard chicken, I'd
love to see a picture.