Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Please, Hold the Fruitcake

Steve Wertz wrote:

> It's time for my biennial "Please Don't Give Away Fruitcake" plea
> and survey suggestion.
>
> I don't like fruitcake. Nobody I know likes fruitcake. If people
> say they like fruitcake, they either:
>
> 1. Make fruitcake and give it away as presents
> 2. Are frequent fruitcake recipients and don't want to offend
> 3. Re-gift fruitcake
> 4. Lie
> 5. ARE fruitcakes

Wrong on all four accounts, though the jury may be out on the
fourth suggestion. I love a good fruitcake, but that rules out
every commercially baked fruit with the exception of our local
bakery. It is a toss up between a good light fruit cake and a
good dark fruit cake. My mother used to make fruit cakes and I
always counted on her giving me some, but she never gave me
enough to keep me happy, so I started making it myself.

I did make the mistake of giving away some fruitcake. Last year I
took one to my sister in law and and one to a niece. I found out
later the SiL doesn't really care for the stuff, so I won't
bother. More for me.