Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Strange vinegar taste

Hi,

My mother has been making beautiful Cawl ( a Welsh stew ) for
decades.However, the last two batches have turned rancid the day after
making. All the ingredients are the same, from the same supplier. They
all seem very fresh and are within their sell-by dates and the Cawl has
been stored overnight in the refrigerator. We have had no problems with
other food in the refrigerator.

The day after making the whole house seems to smell of an intense
vinegar/bile odour. We can't work out what is going on. The Cawl is
made in an old aluminium pressure cooker ( just the bottom half - she
doesn't pressure cook with it, just uses it as a large saucepan. )

The ingredients are leeks, potatoes, stewing beef, parsely, parsnips,
carrots and swede. The individual ingredients all seem to taste fine,
but the juice tastes rancid the day after.

Our theories thus far a

1. the aluminium pan is reacting/leeching some flavour/toxin into the
cawl.
2. the day after, the parsley seems to have a slightly off taste, but
not as bad as the stew liquid.
3. the parsnip seems sweeter than normal - could it be on the turn?

Any ideas anyone??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JavaEnquirer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My mother has been making beautiful Cawl ( a Welsh stew ) for
> decades.However, the last two batches have turned rancid the day after
> making. All the ingredients are the same, from the same supplier. They
> all seem very fresh and are within their sell-by dates and the Cawl has
> been stored overnight in the refrigerator. We have had no problems with
> other food in the refrigerator.
>
> The day after making the whole house seems to smell of an intense
> vinegar/bile odour. We can't work out what is going on. The Cawl is
> made in an old aluminium pressure cooker ( just the bottom half - she
> doesn't pressure cook with it, just uses it as a large saucepan. )
>
> The ingredients are leeks, potatoes, stewing beef, parsely, parsnips,
> carrots and swede. The individual ingredients all seem to taste fine,
> but the juice tastes rancid the day after.
>
> Our theories thus far a
>
> 1. the aluminium pan is reacting/leeching some flavour/toxin into the
> cawl.
> 2. the day after, the parsley seems to have a slightly off taste, but
> not as bad as the stew liquid.
> 3. the parsnip seems sweeter than normal - could it be on the turn?
>
> Any ideas anyone??

Without knowing the ingredients, it's hard to guess that the pan is
leaching, like it does for really acidic foods.

However, that's an easy experiment - use a different pan and see what
happens.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Nancy2" > wrote:

> JavaEnquirer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My mother has been making beautiful Cawl ( a Welsh stew ) for
> > decades.However, the last two batches have turned rancid the day after
> > making. All the ingredients are the same, from the same supplier. They
> > all seem very fresh and are within their sell-by dates and the Cawl has
> > been stored overnight in the refrigerator. We have had no problems with
> > other food in the refrigerator.
> >
> > The day after making the whole house seems to smell of an intense
> > vinegar/bile odour. We can't work out what is going on. The Cawl is
> > made in an old aluminium pressure cooker ( just the bottom half - she
> > doesn't pressure cook with it, just uses it as a large saucepan. )
> >
> > The ingredients are leeks, potatoes, stewing beef, parsely, parsnips,
> > carrots and swede. The individual ingredients all seem to taste fine,
> > but the juice tastes rancid the day after.
> >
> > Our theories thus far a
> >
> > 1. the aluminium pan is reacting/leeching some flavour/toxin into the
> > cawl.
> > 2. the day after, the parsley seems to have a slightly off taste, but
> > not as bad as the stew liquid.
> > 3. the parsnip seems sweeter than normal - could it be on the turn?
> >
> > Any ideas anyone??

> Without knowing the ingredients, it's hard to guess that the pan is
> leaching, like it does for really acidic foods.
>
> However, that's an easy experiment - use a different pan and see what
> happens.
>
> N.

Agreed...
There are many reasons I never cook in aluminum.
It tends to make even slightly acidic foods taste nasty. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JavaEnquirer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My mother has been making beautiful Cawl ( a Welsh stew ) for
> decades.However, the last two batches have turned rancid the day after
> making. All the ingredients are the same, from the same supplier. They
> all seem very fresh and are within their sell-by dates and the Cawl has
> been stored overnight in the refrigerator. We have had no problems with
> other food in the refrigerator.
>
> The day after making the whole house seems to smell of an intense
> vinegar/bile odour. We can't work out what is going on. The Cawl is
> made in an old aluminium pressure cooker ( just the bottom half - she
> doesn't pressure cook with it, just uses it as a large saucepan. )
>
> The ingredients are leeks, potatoes, stewing beef, parsely, parsnips,
> carrots and swede. The individual ingredients all seem to taste fine,
> but the juice tastes rancid the day after.
>
> Our theories thus far a
>
> 1. the aluminium pan is reacting/leeching some flavour/toxin into the
> cawl.
> 2. the day after, the parsley seems to have a slightly off taste, but
> not as bad as the stew liquid.
> 3. the parsnip seems sweeter than normal - could it be on the turn?
>
> Any ideas anyone??

Use a non-reactive metal pan - pot i.e, a good quality Stainless Steel
one!

David N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would check the temperature of the refrigerator, and give it a good
cleaning, too.

My own mom used to let food cool before putting it into the fridge, but this
lets the bacteria get a head start. It's better to put it away as soon as
you are done eating.

"JavaEnquirer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My mother has been making beautiful Cawl ( a Welsh stew ) for
> decades.However, the last two batches have turned rancid the day after
> making. All the ingredients are the same, from the same supplier. They
> all seem very fresh and are within their sell-by dates and the Cawl has
> been stored overnight in the refrigerator. We have had no problems with
> other food in the refrigerator.
>
> The day after making the whole house seems to smell of an intense
> vinegar/bile odour. We can't work out what is going on. The Cawl is
> made in an old aluminium pressure cooker ( just the bottom half - she
> doesn't pressure cook with it, just uses it as a large saucepan. )
>
> The ingredients are leeks, potatoes, stewing beef, parsely, parsnips,
> carrots and swede. The individual ingredients all seem to taste fine,
> but the juice tastes rancid the day after.
>
> Our theories thus far a
>
> 1. the aluminium pan is reacting/leeching some flavour/toxin into the
> cawl.
> 2. the day after, the parsley seems to have a slightly off taste, but
> not as bad as the stew liquid.
> 3. the parsnip seems sweeter than normal - could it be on the turn?
>
> Any ideas anyone??

Malt vinegar taste softener john reeves General Cooking 51 20-02-2011 10:05 PM
Strange taste in frozen shrimps: Any idea what it might be? John Long General Cooking 20 26-04-2007 10:28 PM
Strange Taste? teadrinker Tea 16 29-04-2005 03:33 PM
help reducing vinegary taste of vinegar pickles - adding sugar etc torlesse Preserving 1 07-08-2004 06:50 AM
Vinegar after taste Dave Winemaking 2 17-11-2003 05:18 AM