Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "festive" restaurants

When we go out to celebrate an occasion as a family, we like to go to
restaurants that are fun for the kiddo as well. Meaning, more than just
food service, we like integrated entertainment.

When we lived in NM, that often meant going to Gardunos, where there
were live strolling mariachis who would gladly sing you "Happy Birthday
or Other Occasion" for a buck. (definitely better than dead mariachis,
eh?)

Now that we're in Virginia, that's not an option. (there are probably a
few mariachi restaurants but i refuse to eat in a mexican rest. out
here. i'll cook my own enchiladas, thank you very much.)

We went to The Melting Pot for fondue for my birthday last week. For
mother's day,we went japanese hibachi. last year kiddo's bday was
celebrated with seats at the sushi bar. watching the chef roll our
dinner.

When I was a kid, I adored Trader Vic's because of the decor and the
dipping sauces and the drinks. I had my 7th birthday party there!!! I
also remember going to a pirate-themed place in Longboat Key, FL,
called the Buccaneer. The food was okay, but us kids got to choose out
of the Treasure Chest after dinner. Big thrill!

We're trying to come up with something fun to do for kiddo's birthday
next week, as she feels that all our favorites have been recently
'used'.

What do you consider fun as well as good dining?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> We're trying to come up with something fun to do for kiddo's birthday
> next week, as she feels that all our favorites have been recently
> 'used'.

Drop your daughter here. My son and I will take her to a small locally owned
Italian restaurant where the REAL (non-clown) waiters treat kids like
intelligent human beings, and the kids end up loving the place and trying
foods you could never get them to eat at home. Meanwhile, you can go to one
of the hideous theme chains nearby and be called a guy by the heavily
programmed waiters, while you gaze in rapture at the fake antiques, fake
celebrity pictures, and canoes hanging on the walls. :-)

> What do you consider fun as well as good dining?

I like to lurk behind chain restaurants at closing time, waiting for
obnoxious singing waiters, and flip them into the grease disposal dumpsters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Jude" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> > We're trying to come up with something fun to do for kiddo's birthday
> > next week, as she feels that all our favorites have been recently
> > 'used'.

> Drop your daughter here. My son and I will take her to a small locally owned
> Italian restaurant where the REAL (non-clown) waiters treat kids like
> intelligent human beings, and the kids end up loving the place and trying
> foods you could never get them to eat at home. Meanwhile, you can go to one
> of the hideous theme chains nearby and be called a guy by the heavily
> programmed waiters, while you gaze in rapture at the fake antiques, fake
> celebrity pictures, and canoes hanging on the walls. :-)

Thank you......we eat at "real" restaurants all the time. I don't
believe that's what i asked for. She'll esat just about anything and is
quite an expensive diner comapnion....want to hear about her first meal
at Petrussian in NYC? Her first tastes of caviar and white sturgoen?
She loves good Italian food.

However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained while she eats.
no chain requirement, but the Melting Pot is the only fondue restaurant
I'm familiar with. Sue me if it's a chain. I don't believe anytihng I
said should lead you to believe that we're looking for a chain....Otani
is certianly a locally owned hibachi place, and garduno's is a NM-only
restaurant with perhaps 4 locations. But perhaps your obnoxious skills
outweigh your reading comprehension skills.

> > What do you consider fun as well as good dining?

> I like to lurk behind chain restaurants at closing time, waiting for
> obnoxious singing waiters, and flip them into the grease disposal dumpsters.

I remember when macaroni Grill used to have opera singing waitresses.
SDhe enjoyed that - when she was 3. Now she knows her good food but
wants to be treated to more than that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just make sure she knows those are not restaurants. They are circuses that
happen to throw food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> Just make sure she knows those are not restaurants. They are circuses that
> happen to throw food.

Have you ever eaten at a Japanese hibachi restaruant? The food is
delicious. Basically, stir-fried meat and/or veggies. Rice. Sauce. Very
similar to what you might order at a (gasp) good japanese restaurant.
And no, I'm not talking about Benihana's. I'm talking small, locally
owned, top quality meats and seafoods. Are you prejudiced against
hibachi?

And I've never, ever had them throw a cheese fondue at me at teh
melting pot. That might bring on a lawsuit. The damn cheese is HOT!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2006 13:45:23 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

>However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained while she eats.

Any of these near you?

http://www.medievaltimes.com/

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Have you ever eaten at a Japanese hibachi restaruant? The food is
> delicious. Basically, stir-fried meat and/or veggies. Rice. Sauce. Very
> similar to what you might order at a (gasp) good japanese restaurant.

I've never been in a US hibachi restaurant that served anything like
what I ate in Japan. Sorry.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> Just make sure she knows those are not restaurants. They are
>> circuses that happen to throw food.

> Have you ever eaten at a Japanese hibachi restaruant? The food is
> delicious. Basically, stir-fried meat and/or veggies. Rice. Sauce.
> Very similar to what you might order at a (gasp) good japanese
> restaurant.

Jude, don't bother. JoeSpareBedroom is nothing if not obnoxious. I k'f'd
him a long time ago.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2006 13:45:23 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
>

>> However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained while she
>> eats.

> Any of these near you?
>
> http://www.medievaltimes.com/
>
> Lou

Doesn't look like a restaurant to me. But then, I didn't click on every
link on the site.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> Just make sure she knows those are not restaurants. They are circuses
>> that
>> happen to throw food.

> Have you ever eaten at a Japanese hibachi restaruant? The food is
> delicious. Basically, stir-fried meat and/or veggies. Rice. Sauce. Very
> similar to what you might order at a (gasp) good japanese restaurant.
> And no, I'm not talking about Benihana's. I'm talking small, locally
> owned, top quality meats and seafoods. Are you prejudiced against
> hibachi?

Yes, I've been to hibachi restaurants. No I'm not prejudiced against them,
although I did throw a low quality bell pepper at a squirrel once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:54:58 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On 26 Sep 2006 13:45:23 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
>>

>>> However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained while she
>>> eats.

>> Any of these near you?
>>
>> http://www.medievaltimes.com/
>>
>> Lou

>Doesn't look like a restaurant to me. But then, I didn't click on every
>link on the site.
>
>Jill

It is odd, but it is a dining place. Your food is brought by
"wenches" You'll see one of them serving in the clip on the first
page. Actually the site sucks. Food tv had one of the locations on a
few years ago. Here's another review:

http://www.epinions.com/content_109857312388

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2006 13:45:23 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
>

> >However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained while she eats.

> Any of these near you?
>
> http://www.medievaltimes.com/
>
> Lou

OOh tyhat would be a good idea if there was one closer than 400 miles
from me! lol

But there's a medievel place (show and dinner kinda thing) in
Williamsburg. Rosie Rump's Royal Dumpe. Food's not supposed to be the
greatest, but hell, we can have great food when I cook. We can go to
fun restaurants and eat inferior food for her bday. Big fat turkey legs
and mead.

Thanks for the idea! That's the kinda fun thing we're looking for!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Jude" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >> Just make sure she knows those are not restaurants. They are circuses
> >> that
> >> happen to throw food.

> > Have you ever eaten at a Japanese hibachi restaruant? The food is
> > delicious. Basically, stir-fried meat and/or veggies. Rice. Sauce. Very
> > similar to what you might order at a (gasp) good japanese restaurant.
> > And no, I'm not talking about Benihana's. I'm talking small, locally
> > owned, top quality meats and seafoods. Are you prejudiced against
> > hibachi?

> Yes, I've been to hibachi restaurants. No I'm not prejudiced against them,
> although I did throw a low quality bell pepper at a squirrel once.

So then what's the problem with going there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Jude" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >
>> > Have you ever eaten at a Japanese hibachi restaruant? The food is
>> > delicious. Basically, stir-fried meat and/or veggies. Rice. Sauce. Very
>> > similar to what you might order at a (gasp) good japanese restaurant.
>> > And no, I'm not talking about Benihana's. I'm talking small, locally
>> > owned, top quality meats and seafoods. Are you prejudiced against
>> > hibachi?

>> Yes, I've been to hibachi restaurants. No I'm not prejudiced against
>> them,
>> although I did throw a low quality bell pepper at a squirrel once.

> So then what's the problem with going there?

You can get the same thing at a non-hooplah Japanese place, where you don't
get your shirt spattered with grease. :-) Look - to me, the festivity of
food comes from the people at the table, not from a show put on by someone
else. How about gathering 2-3 of your daughter's favorite friends, and
asking all of them to come up with a dinner idea made at home. Let them help
somehow. They love that stuff. You might have to hose down the whole kitchen
when it's done, but they'll have a ball.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
> > On 26 Sep 2006 13:45:23 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
> >

> >> However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained while she
> >> eats.

> > Any of these near you?
> >
> > http://www.medievaltimes.com/
> >
> > Lou

> Doesn't look like a restaurant to me. But then, I didn't click on every
> link on the site.

Actually a pretty good restaurant... I went to the one in Florida, must
be 15 years ago. The food is good and plentiful...
http://www.medievaltimes.com/flbilloffare.htm

But it's the entertainment that's unique and captivating. It's a
wonderful experience for all ages. Naturally my favorite remembrance
were the serving wenches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Lou Decruss wrote:

> > > Any of these near you?
> > >
> > > http://www.medievaltimes.com/
> > >
> > > Lou

> > Doesn't look like a restaurant to me. But then, I didn't click on every
> > link on the site.

> Actually a pretty good restaurant... I went to the one in Florida, must
> be 15 years ago. The food is good and plentiful...
> http://www.medievaltimes.com/flbilloffare.htm
>
> But it's the entertainment that's unique and captivating. It's a
> wonderful experience for all ages. Naturally my favorite remembrance
> were the serving wenches.

Oh, I agree! It's a little pricey, but I used to go to the one in Buena
Park, California. The entertainment is outstanding!!!!!!!!11

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2006 15:12:01 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

>> Any of these near you?
>>
>> http://www.medievaltimes.com/
>>
>> Lou

>OOh tyhat would be a good idea if there was one closer than 400 miles
>from me! lol
>
>But there's a medievel place (show and dinner kinda thing) in
>Williamsburg. Rosie Rump's Royal Dumpe. Food's not supposed to be the
>greatest, but hell, we can have great food when I cook. We can go to
>fun restaurants and eat inferior food for her bday. Big fat turkey legs
>and mead.
>
>Thanks for the idea! That's the kinda fun thing we're looking for!

Always glad to help.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Doesn't look like a restaurant to me. But then, I didn't click on every
> > > link on the site.

> > Actually a pretty good restaurant... I went to the one in Florida, must
> > be 15 years ago. The food is good and plentiful...
> > http://www.medievaltimes.com/flbilloffare.htm
> >
> > But it's the entertainment that's unique and captivating. It's a
> > wonderful experience for all ages. Naturally my favorite remembrance
> > were the serving wenches.
> >

> Oh, I agree! It's a little pricey, but I used to go to the one in Buena
> Park, California.

If just for the food yes, pricey,

The entertainment is outstanding!!!!!!!!

But it's well worth the bucks just for the show... I've paid a lot more
for Broadway shows and felt ripped off... midevil times definitely
gives you much more than your money's worth just in entertainment. And
if you leave hungry it's no ones fault but your own, the food is simple
but very good, and you can have all you can eat. As I remember the
serving wenches keep replenishing the large platters in the center of
the table and you help yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> I remember when macaroni Grill used to have opera singing waitresses.
> SDhe enjoyed that - when she was 3. Now she knows her good food but
> wants to be treated to more than that.

Are there any dinner theaters in your area?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> Any of these near you?
>
> http://www.medievaltimes.com/

Dave and Busters is a chain restaurant that has things to do, such as
games and stuff.

http://www.daveandbusters.com/

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in message
. ..
> Lou Decruss wrote:
> > On 26 Sep 2006 13:45:23 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
> >> However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained
> >> while she eats.

> > Any of these near you?
> >
> > http://www.medievaltimes.com/

Great idea, Lou! Food's not haute cuisine but the action's first
rate! All three daughter-units loved the trips we've taken to the LA
branch.

> Doesn't look like a restaurant to me. But then, I didn't click
> on every link on the site.

Then why did you comment? There's food (and drinks). There aren't
any forks, spoons, or knives but that adds to the charm.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>>
>>> Any of these near you?
>>>
>>> http://www.medievaltimes.com/

> Great idea, Lou! Food's not haute cuisine but the action's first
> rate! All three daughter-units loved the trips we've taken to the LA
> branch.
>
>> Doesn't look like a restaurant to me. But then, I didn't click
>> on every link on the site.

> Then why did you comment? There's food (and drinks). There aren't
> any forks, spoons, or knives but that adds to the charm.
>
> The Ranger

Because I didn't think it fit the request. Apparently I was wrong; sorry if
I made a mistake! Sheesh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Dave and Busters is a chain restaurant that has things to do, such

as
> games and stuff.
>
> http://www.daveandbusters.com/

It's not for kids. Dave and Busters is an adult arcade.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in message
news
> Because I didn't think it fit the request. Apparently I was
> wrong; sorry if I made a mistake! Sheesh.

Better reading would've prevented you from making such an obvious
mistake; don't be so quick next time... Or take a longer moment
between answers.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> When we go out to celebrate an occasion as a family, we like to go to
> restaurants that are fun for the kiddo as well. Meaning, more than just
> food service, we like integrated entertainment.
>
> When we lived in NM, that often meant going to Gardunos, where there
> were live strolling mariachis who would gladly sing you "Happy Birthday
> or Other Occasion" for a buck. (definitely better than dead mariachis,
> eh?)
>
> Now that we're in Virginia, that's not an option. (there are probably a
> few mariachi restaurants but i refuse to eat in a mexican rest. out
> here. i'll cook my own enchiladas, thank you very much.)
>
> We went to The Melting Pot for fondue for my birthday last week. For
> mother's day,we went japanese hibachi. last year kiddo's bday was
> celebrated with seats at the sushi bar. watching the chef roll our
> dinner.
>
> When I was a kid, I adored Trader Vic's because of the decor and the
> dipping sauces and the drinks. I had my 7th birthday party there!!! I
> also remember going to a pirate-themed place in Longboat Key, FL,
> called the Buccaneer. The food was okay, but us kids got to choose out
> of the Treasure Chest after dinner. Big thrill!
>
> We're trying to come up with something fun to do for kiddo's birthday
> next week, as she feels that all our favorites have been recently
> 'used'.
>
> What do you consider fun as well as good dining?

Sounds like she might enjoy going to one of the "colonial" themed
taverns and restaurants in Virginia. I've been to one near
Charlottsville. You could combine a visit to Monticello and get some
education in her.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> kilikini wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> > >

> > > Actually a pretty good restaurant... I went to the one in Florida,

must
> > > be 15 years ago. The food is good and plentiful...
> > > http://www.medievaltimes.com/flbilloffare.htm
> > >
> > > But it's the entertainment that's unique and captivating. It's a
> > > wonderful experience for all ages. Naturally my favorite remembrance
> > > were the serving wenches.
> > >

> > Oh, I agree! It's a little pricey, but I used to go to the one in Buena
> > Park, California.

> If just for the food yes, pricey,
>
> The entertainment is outstanding!!!!!!!!
>
> But it's well worth the bucks just for the show... I've paid a lot more
> for Broadway shows and felt ripped off... midevil times definitely
> gives you much more than your money's worth just in entertainment. And
> if you leave hungry it's no ones fault but your own, the food is simple
> but very good, and you can have all you can eat. As I remember the
> serving wenches keep replenishing the large platters in the center of
> the table and you help yourself.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Sheldon. I always had a great time when I
went to Medieval Tmes, but when I went, it was about $50 a person. These
days I balk at anything more than a price of $6.99 a plate. I understand
the comparison with Broadway shows, yet still.........when I was young and
stupid and living with Daddy, I didn't care about price. Now is an entirely
different story! :~)

By the way, did you ever go to see the horses after the show? Absolutely
beautiful creatures! I also went to the stand where they had the hawk that
flies around the arena and got to pet it.

Ah........ good memories.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> By the way, did you ever go to see the horses after the show? Absolutely
> beautiful creatures! I also went to the stand where they had the hawk
> that
> flies around the arena and got to pet it.

They bring one to the football games, along with a knight!
Gorgeous creatures.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > kilikini wrote:
> > > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > > ps.com...

> must

> > > Oh, I agree! It's a little pricey, but I used to go to the one in Buena
> > > Park, California.

> > If just for the food yes, pricey,
> >
> > The entertainment is outstanding!!!!!!!!
> >
> > But it's well worth the bucks just for the show... I've paid a lot more
> > for Broadway shows and felt ripped off... midevil times definitely
> > gives you much more than your money's worth just in entertainment. And
> > if you leave hungry it's no ones fault but your own, the food is simple
> > but very good, and you can have all you can eat. As I remember the
> > serving wenches keep replenishing the large platters in the center of
> > the table and you help yourself.
> >

> I wholeheartedly agree with you, Sheldon. I always had a great time when I
> went to Medieval Tmes, but when I went, it was about $50 a person. These
> days I balk at anything more than a price of $6.99 a plate. I understand
> the comparison with Broadway shows, yet still.........when I was young and
> stupid and living with Daddy, I didn't care about price. Now is an entirely
> different story! :~)

Well, it's not somewhere I would go often... I think once was enough.
I don't really remember what it cost back then (I'm sure more like half
today's price) but the show was well worth it... the food was more like
just an added attraction. I also appreciated that they limited each
patron to just two beers, so no one became obnoxious, making it a great
place for families, and especially those with small children, was
generally pretty noisy anyway... definitely not a place for a quiet
romantic dinner. It's a place for a grand fun time.

> By the way, did you ever go to see the horses after the show? Absolutely
> beautiful creatures! I also went to the stand where they had the hawk that
> flies around the arena and got to pet it.
>
> Ah........ good memories.

Ya know, it was more than 15 years ago and I somehow don't recall the
horses... maybe there were no hoses at the Florida location, at least
not back then, and I was there at night, there was nothing much to see
outside except the exterior of the castle. And now that you jogged my
memory I do remember the hawk doing it's thing flying about indoors...
although I didn't get to pet it... anyway I was much more interested in
petting the wenches. LOL

Sir Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> You can get the same thing at a non-hooplah Japanese place, where you don't
> get your shirt spattered with grease. :-) Look - to me, the festivity of
> food comes from the people at the table, not from a show put on by someone
> else. How about gathering 2-3 of your daughter's favorite friends, and
> asking all of them to come up with a dinner idea made at home. Let them help
> somehow. They love that stuff. You might have to hose down the whole kitchen
> when it's done, but they'll have a ball.

Um. Let's start with: because I teach kids to cook all day long. That's
what I do for a living. My daughter comes to class with me once a week.
She cooks, along with all my other students. Not exactly something that
would be a birthday-special activity, more like our everyday life.

Going out to eat, shoot the wad, price is not an object, you pick the
place, is a family birthday tradition. We're not looking for other
ideas, thanks. We're going to go out, like we've done every year since
she was old enough to choose a restaurant. To us, the festivity comes
from eating something that I couldn't/wouldn't/don't cook at home and
getting waited on hand and foot for a change.

Just looking for new ideas on where to go. And we've got a few that
are more in line with what I was actually looking for.....food and
entertainment.

Thanks anyways.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Jude wrote:
>

> > I remember when macaroni Grill used to have opera singing waitresses.
> > SDhe enjoyed that - when she was 3. Now she knows her good food but
> > wants to be treated to more than that.
> >

> Are there any dinner theaters in your area?
>
> gloria p

ya know, i'm not sure. i know there's a 'mystery' dinner theatre, maybe
we could look into that. she'd get into that stuff i bet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb wrote:
> Jude wrote:

> Sounds like she might enjoy going to one of the "colonial" themed
> taverns and restaurants in Virginia. I've been to one near
> Charlottsville. You could combine a visit to Monticello and get some
> education in her.
>
> Susan B.

hmm. williamsburg is closer. maybe we can go to one of the taverns in
the colonial district. she's into history. she went through an
american-revolution phase in 3rd grade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2006 18:12:36 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

>hmm. williamsburg is closer. maybe we can go to one of the taverns in
>the colonial district. she's into history. she went through an
>american-revolution phase in 3rd grade.

I would probably go with this choice if she is interested in history.
I also love the idea of a dinner theater.

A few more ideas:

Dim sum

A coffeehouse where all the cool big kids go -- she can have hot
chocolate and pastries and people watch

Are you convenient to a swanky hotel that serves afternoon tea?

Would she enjoy a big brunch at the same type of establishment --
watch someone make your omelets and crepes?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2006 13:45:23 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
>
> >However, for her birthday, she wants to be entertained while she eats.

> Any of these near you?
>
> http://www.medievaltimes.com/
>
> Lou

They are great fun...the food is ok, but the entertainment is good..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:20:18 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>Great idea, Lou! Food's not haute cuisine but the action's first
>rate! All three daughter-units loved the trips we've taken to the LA
>branch.

Thanks. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like it.

Lou