Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Default Recipe and nutrition analysis software

I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their recipes.
Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
nutritional values?
Do you use written cards, scraps of paper, or notes in cookbooks ? (I'm
converting to electronic but still have two boxes of 3X5 cards)
Have you adopted the use of recipe software? Which program do you use? Do
you gather (and/or share) recipes on the internet ? (I often do, it's fun)
Do you do nutrition analysis yourself or take what the recipe author offers
as gospel ? (I run each recipe through the program then see if it makes
sense to me)

I've been using Big Oven to format, analyze, and organize my recipe
collection for some time now. I'm considering creating yet another cookbook
and it's been a convenient way to gather up the material. It does a pretty
good job for me and was quite moderately priced and well supported. The
nutrition analyzer uses U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data that is frequently
updated. They also maintain a web site where fellow cooks can share recipes,
photos, and tips. I've been quite happy with it.

Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just for
you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?
Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can take
to the kitchen and work from? Would you want specific recipes to follow
exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
versions ? Are pictures and/or diagrams important ? Do you want to know
about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to work
?

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Pete Romfh wrote:
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?

I use Master Cook, which isn't quite as sophisticated as your Big Oven.
It does allow me to enter foods and their nutritional values into the
cook book. I can make several of my own cookbooks. As far as I know,
with version 7, you have to have the back up on a floppy. It will not
import it from a CD, though it will open the CD and you can read the
recipes and print them. I haven't tried using a memory stick.

I have also downloaded the USDA's booklets on carbohydrates, calories
and because DH is on warfarin, the one for vitamin K. These are helpful
to find info that isn't readily available in other places. I also have
a carb counter paperback with carb counts for all kinds of foods
including ethnic foods and restaurants.

> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it?

If I were looking for recipes, the first thing I would want to see is
the carb count in two ways. One way without counting non-starch veggies.

> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can take
> to the kitchen and work from?

I print from the computer so I don't have t mess up the computer in the
kitchen. I would mess up a book, too. A sheet of paper is no big deal.

Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ?

both. For baking, it would have to be specific. For other things, I
would use the general concepts.
Are pictures and/or diagrams important ?

Not to me.
>Do you want to know
> about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to work

Not really. One person's "science" is another person's snake oil. The
GI, for instance, doesn't work for DH. A carb is a carb. We don't play
the "net carb" game like the fad diets, either. We subtract fiber if it
is 5 grams or more per serving. This is the way we were trained. This is
the way DH's meter understands fiber. Sugar alcohols have calories so we
count them as only half off total carbs and that's only if the number is
5 or more grams per serving.

Hope I've helped, Pete. Would be happy to contribute any recipes you
might be interested in.

PS: Susan, I don't give a hoot for how you calculate your net carbs and,
I'm sure, no one else does. I'll just save you the trouble of your usual
nasty response to our ADA approved method of carb counting. I am having
a terrible time with my radiation therapy and don't feel like one of
your nasty slaps right now, so go stuff your face with fat and leave me
alone.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their
> recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?
> Do you use written cards, scraps of paper, or notes in cookbooks ? (I'm
> converting to electronic but still have two boxes of 3X5 cards)
> Have you adopted the use of recipe software? Which program do you use? Do
> you gather (and/or share) recipes on the internet ? (I often do, it's fun)
> Do you do nutrition analysis yourself or take what the recipe author
> offers
> as gospel ? (I run each recipe through the program then see if it makes
> sense to me)
>
> I've been using Big Oven to format, analyze, and organize my recipe
> collection for some time now. I'm considering creating yet another
> cookbook
> and it's been a convenient way to gather up the material. It does a pretty
> good job for me and was quite moderately priced and well supported. The
> nutrition analyzer uses U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data that is frequently
> updated. They also maintain a web site where fellow cooks can share
> recipes,
> photos, and tips. I've been quite happy with it.
>
> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just
> for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?
> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can
> take
> to the kitchen and work from? Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ? Are pictures and/or diagrams important ? Do you want to know
> about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to
> work
> ?
>

> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

I have just started to use a software program called Cook'n for Diabetes.
It provides nutritional information, the ability to input new recipes (with
or without nutritional information), can print recipe cards and also
shopping lists geared to a specific recipe (with the option to delete items
already in your pantry), and has pages for meal planners to plan ahead and
also one to print menus (either to screen or to paper). I just bought it,
so it is so new that I can't comment on its usefulness yet. I must admit
that the reason I decided to try this one first was that I got it for less
than $20.00.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their
> recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?
> Do you use written cards, scraps of paper, or notes in cookbooks ?

I use a planner called Kathleen's Diet - it uses the USDA database.

> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just
> for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?

Carb counts, fiber amounts, total calories.

> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can
> take
> to the kitchen and work from? Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ? Are pictures and/or diagrams important ? Do you want to know
> about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to
> work

Not pictures. Reasons for ingredient and method choices might be
interesting. Electronic is cool, the laptop often comes into the kitchen
with me : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.3/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
No Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their

recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?
> Do you use written cards, scraps of paper, or notes in cookbooks ? (I'm
> converting to electronic but still have two boxes of 3X5 cards)
> Have you adopted the use of recipe software? Which program do you use? Do
> you gather (and/or share) recipes on the internet ? (I often do, it's fun)
> Do you do nutrition analysis yourself or take what the recipe author

offers
> as gospel ? (I run each recipe through the program then see if it makes
> sense to me)
>
> I've been using Big Oven to format, analyze, and organize my recipe
> collection for some time now. I'm considering creating yet another

cookbook
> and it's been a convenient way to gather up the material. It does a pretty
> good job for me and was quite moderately priced and well supported. The
> nutrition analyzer uses U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data that is frequently
> updated. They also maintain a web site where fellow cooks can share

recipes,
> photos, and tips. I've been quite happy with it.
>
> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just

for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?
> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can

take
> to the kitchen and work from? Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ? Are pictures and/or diagrams important ? Do you want to know
> about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to

work
> ?

I have the Master Cook program. It says you can import your own recipes
into it and it will calculate the nutritional analysis for you. I've never
needed to do this because I always manage to find a recipe similar to what I
want that is already there.

These days I don't buy many cookbooks for a couple of reasons. One is that
I am transitioning to a raw diet. Yes, I have bought some raw food books.
They do not list nutritional information because the theory behind the raw
diet is that you can eat anything you want so long as it is raw. Their
definition of raw is not quite what you and I might assume since it does
include some dehydrated (at the proper temperature) foods. I don't have to
worry much about high carbs on a raw diet because I don't eat much fruit and
the only thing I really do eat that has many carbs is pea, lentil and
chickpea sprouts. Those are easy enough to figure.

Aside from that, my daughter and I both have food allergies. So a regular
cookbook isn't going to do us much good. Nor is a cookbook for people with
allergies because they tend to focus on one allergen at a time. When you
have multiple allergies like we do, most recipes are out of the question. I
might use a recipe as a general guide, but almost always have to make my own
modifications.

Since I don't use insulin, I don't have to figure the carb count to the
exact number. The meals I do make (aside from the raw ones) are very easy
to factor. If I have a side dish such as rice or potatoes, that's easy to
figure. If it's a casserole or a soup with say, pasta and beans in it, I
just figure 1 cup as a serving. That would be about 30 g of carbs. Now the
soup might not have that many, but again, easy enough to figure. And
sometimes with a soup I will add the carby stuff separate making it really
easy to count.

For me to buy a cookbook these days it has to have some sort of appeal aside
from the recipes, because I'm not likely to use them. The most recent one I
bought is a collection of Southwestern recipes. The author has included
many family pictures and has stories to tell about many of the recipes and
types of foods used. Also bought a Mexican cookbook by Rick Bayliss because
he goes into explaining the various cooking techniques used in Mexican food
and the particulars of ingredients. This is more important to me than the
recipes themselves.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:40:33 -0500, "Pete Romfh"
> Maniacally Screamed the following
like a drunken "Pete Romfh" > into
the madness of usenet:

>I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their recipes.
>Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
>nutritional values?
>Do you use written cards, scraps of paper, or notes in cookbooks ? (I'm
>converting to electronic but still have two boxes of 3X5 cards)

I have one book shelf dedicated to various types of cook books, and I
use them all. I use MasterCook Software instead of note cards these
days but I do write notes in my books. I also use the calorie and
carb counter book from www.calorieking.com it's been a lifestyle saver
since I found it.

I hate scraps of paper and post it notes.

>Have you adopted the use of recipe software? Which program do you use? Do
>you gather (and/or share) recipes on the internet ? (I often do, it's fun)

On rare occasions I may share one or two on the diabetic newsgroups.

>Do you do nutrition analysis yourself or take what the recipe author offers
>as gospel ? (I run each recipe through the program then see if it makes
>sense to me)

If it's a knew book/source that I have never used before, you better
believe I double check it. I use the carb counts to calculate my
insulin boluses, the carb counts need to be accurate. If they are not
and I end up hypo because the label was wrong, guess whose liable.

Generally I can tell if they are wrong when I serve the portion. I am
excellent at eye balling within a few grams. If it doesn't look right
then it's time to break out the calculator and verify. If the source
is consistently wrong I will throw the book away and file complaints
where appropriate.

I have yet to find a single cook book using the FDA guidelines or
carrying an FDA or ADA endorsement as having inaccurate nutrition
labels.

>I've been using Big Oven to format, analyze, and organize my recipe
>collection for some time now. I'm considering creating yet another cookbook
>and it's been a convenient way to gather up the material. It does a pretty
>good job for me and was quite moderately priced and well supported. The
>nutrition analyzer uses U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data that is frequently
>updated. They also maintain a web site where fellow cooks can share recipes,
>photos, and tips. I've been quite happy with it.
>
>Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just for
>you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?

>Would you use one in electronic format

yes.

> or do you want something you can take
>to the kitchen and work from?

yes. especially when I want to go to someone else's house and cook.

> Would you want specific recipes to follow
>exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
>versions ?

Both. I need accurate carb counts every time for the purpose of
calculating insulin. Anything that does not effect carb counts can
vary for style, taste and texture, creativity. And just because I
want it to be useful to me as an insulin dependant diabetic, that does
not mean that it won't be used for non-diabetics.

> Are pictures and/or diagrams important ? Do you want to know
>about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to work
>?

Absolutely! I am always learning about new foods, especially ethnic
foods. I also spend a great deal of time teaching my nieces and
nephews how to cook. Having this info makes teaching them a whole lot
easier.

I rarely look for a "quick & easy" cook book for those 3 minute meals.
I simply don't need them. Not after working so many years as a cook.
I like cook books that are complete. They have photos, diagrams, list
of cooking utensils needed, ingredient lists, and accurate nutrition
labels broken down by portion size. I am one of those who is
perfectly willing to pay the extra cost for the extra effort put into
such a book. When I cook something exotic and someone asks about the
dish I like to be able to answer their questions, about where it came
from, any history behind the dish, etcetera. Unfortunately most are
not.

What a lot of people want is something soft covered, inexpensive,
serves 2 to 3, and takes a few minutes to prep and cook.

hint: go easy on the cilantro none of the women in my family are fond
of it.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Susan wrote:

> Whoa, lady! I'm sorry you're ill and in pain. I had no intention of
> responding to your post or your meal calculation methods, nor have I
> done so, unless you've addressed me directly, for a very long time.

2 weeks isn't that long a time. Of course I can't prove it because you
don't archive.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> Maniacally Screamed the following like a
drunken Janet Wilder > into the madness of
usenet:

>Susan wrote:
>
>> Whoa, lady! I'm sorry you're ill and in pain. I had no intention of
>> responding to your post or your meal calculation methods, nor have I
>> done so, unless you've addressed me directly, for a very long time.

>2 weeks isn't that long a time. Of course I can't prove it because you
>don't archive.

It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Pete Romfh wrote:
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?

I keep a spreadsheet database of the foods I eat with serving size,
carbs, fats, proteins, and total calories. That way I can sort by
which ever of those I wish to find a food I like with the content I
need at the time. I have not found any diabetic specific recipes that
meet my needs yet.

> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?

Lots of recipes that are quick and easy with as few ingredients as
possible.
Serving sizes - so many books leave that out and I really need it.
Data on carbs, fats, proteins, fiber and total calories per serving.
Suggestions of items to complete the meal that are reasonable for
diabetics.

> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can take
> to the kitchen and work from?

Both - I want a book in my kitchen and a CD with it for planning at my
computer.
(It is probably significant here that I have a huge cookbook collection
- some over 100 years old)

Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ?

Specific recipes but additional information on substitutions that could
be made to vary the recipe would be perfect.

Are pictures and/or diagrams important ?

Pictures of the fininshed dish - absolutely. Diagrams - space wasters.
I seldom fix a recipe I have not seen a picture of or the dish prepared
by someone else.

Do you want to know about the science behind the foods or just know
what to do to get it to work ?

If I want science, I'll watch the science channel. I'm more interested
in taste and texture than where it came from or why.
> --

Hope this helps - the world could use a really good basic cookbook for
our special dietary needs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Pete Romfh wrote:
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?

I keep a spreadsheet database of the foods I eat with serving size,
carbs, fats, proteins, and total calories. That way I can sort by
which ever of those I wish to find a food I like with the content I
need at the time. I have not found any diabetic specific recipes that
meet my needs yet.

> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?

Lots of recipes that are quick and easy with as few ingredients as
possible.
Serving sizes - so many books leave that out and I really need it.
Data on carbs, fats, proteins, fiber and total calories per serving.
Suggestions of items to complete the meal that are reasonable for
diabetics.

> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can take
> to the kitchen and work from?

Both - I want a book in my kitchen and a CD with it for planning at my
computer.
(It is probably significant here that I have a huge cookbook collection
- some over 100 years old)

Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ?

Specific recipes but additional information on substitutions that could
be made to vary the recipe would be perfect.

Are pictures and/or diagrams important ?

Pictures of the fininshed dish - absolutely. Diagrams - space wasters.
I seldom fix a recipe I have not seen a picture of or the dish prepared
by someone else.

Do you want to know about the science behind the foods or just know
what to do to get it to work ?

If I want science, I'll watch the science channel. I'm more interested
in taste and texture than where it came from or why.
> --

Hope this helps - the world could use a really good basic cookbook for
our special dietary needs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Ma¢k wrote:
> [Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > Maniacally Screamed the following like a
> drunken Janet Wilder > into the madness of
> usenet:
>
> >Susan wrote:
> >
> >> Whoa, lady! I'm sorry you're ill and in pain. I had no intention of
> >> responding to your post or your meal calculation methods, nor have I
> >> done so, unless you've addressed me directly, for a very long time.

> >2 weeks isn't that long a time. Of course I can't prove it because you
> >don't archive.

> It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life.

Anyone else sense the irony of this coming from Mack, a man who can
never let anything go?

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On 22 Aug 2006 14:18:59 -0700, "Kurt"
> Maniacally Screamed the following like
a drunken "Kurt" > into the madness of
usenet:

>Ma¢k wrote:
>> [Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > Maniacally Screamed the following like a
>> drunken Janet Wilder > into the madness of
>> usenet:

>> >2 weeks isn't that long a time. Of course I can't prove it because you
>> >don't archive.

>> It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life.

>Anyone else sense the irony of this coming from Mack, a man who can
>never let anything go?
>
>Kurt

your desire to them fighting is truly sad and transparent.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Kurt" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Ma¢k wrote:
> [Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > Maniacally Screamed the following like a
> drunken Janet Wilder > into the madness of
> usenet:
>
> >Susan wrote:
> >
> >> Whoa, lady! I'm sorry you're ill and in pain. I had no intention of
> >> responding to your post or your meal calculation methods, nor have I
> >> done so, unless you've addressed me directly, for a very long time.

> >2 weeks isn't that long a time. Of course I can't prove it because you
> >don't archive.

> It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life.

Anyone else sense the irony of this coming from Mack, a man who can
never let anything go?

Kurt

I do, I do

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:04:52 GMT, "Gantlet"
> Maniacally Screamed the following like a drunken
"Gantlet" > into the madness of usenet:

>"Kurt" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>Ma¢k wrote:
>> [Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > Maniacally Screamed the following like a
>> drunken Janet Wilder > into the madness of
>> usenet:

>> >2 weeks isn't that long a time. Of course I can't prove it because you
>> >don't archive.

>> It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life.

>Anyone else sense the irony of this coming from Mack, a man who can
>never let anything go?
>
>Kurt
>

>I do, I do

why does it not surprise me that the 2 of you take joy in other
people's fights. both of you are true bottom feeders.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Ma¢k wrote:
> [Default] On 22 Aug 2006 14:18:59 -0700, "Kurt"
> > Maniacally Screamed the following like
> a drunken "Kurt" > into the madness of
> usenet:
>
> >Ma¢k wrote:
> >> [Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> >> drunken Janet Wilder > into the madness of
> >> usenet:

> >> It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life.

> >Anyone else sense the irony of this coming from Mack, a man who can
> >never let anything go?
> >
> >Kurt

> your desire to them fighting is truly sad and transparent.

My "desire to them fighting" is non-existent here. I only made one
post in this thread and it was to comment on your hypocrisy.

Now I've made two.

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

I've been using Master Cook since the first one came out...everytime I find
recipes I like they go right into it. I really like the search feature. When
I get a recipe I like I just print it out and then when I am done I can
throw the page away. I have no more room in my kitchen for more cookbooks I
have a double cupboard full..LOL..
Jacquie

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their
> recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?
> Do you use written cards, scraps of paper, or notes in cookbooks ? (I'm
> converting to electronic but still have two boxes of 3X5 cards)
> Have you adopted the use of recipe software? Which program do you use? Do
> you gather (and/or share) recipes on the internet ? (I often do, it's fun)
> Do you do nutrition analysis yourself or take what the recipe author
> offers
> as gospel ? (I run each recipe through the program then see if it makes
> sense to me)
>
> I've been using Big Oven to format, analyze, and organize my recipe
> collection for some time now. I'm considering creating yet another
> cookbook
> and it's been a convenient way to gather up the material. It does a pretty
> good job for me and was quite moderately priced and well supported. The
> nutrition analyzer uses U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data that is frequently
> updated. They also maintain a web site where fellow cooks can share
> recipes,
> photos, and tips. I've been quite happy with it.
>
> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just
> for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?
> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can
> take
> to the kitchen and work from? Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ? Are pictures and/or diagrams important ? Do you want to know
> about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to
> work
> ?
>

> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Pete Romfh wrote:
> I'm curious about that other methods people use for
> tracking their recipes. Particularly, what are diabetics
> doing to determine their recipe's nutritional values?

Thanks to all who responded. You've given me some ideas about a cookbook.

FYI: I also received an email from Steve Murch, the CEO of Lakefront
Software, about a special discount they are offering on their software for
diabetics.

" Pete, we forgot to let you know about a special promotion we are running
right now, targeting diabetic users who want to watch what they eat a little
better.
There's a coupon, CPN292DIAB, which you can enter in the purchase page, that
will give you 25% off BigOven Deluxe, and this is valid through September
1st, 2006. "

Just so it's clear, I don't have any financial connections with Big Oven or
Lakefront Software. I happen to use their software and contribute recipes to
their website but have no vested interest in the company.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Ma¢k wrote:
> [Default] On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:04:52 GMT, "Gantlet"
> > Maniacally Screamed the following like a drunken
> "Gantlet" > into the madness of usenet:
>

> >"Kurt" > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >Ma¢k wrote:
> >> [Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> >> drunken Janet Wilder > into the madness of
> >> usenet:

> >> It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life.

> >Anyone else sense the irony of this coming from Mack, a man who can
> >never let anything go?
> >
> >Kurt
> >

> >I do, I do
> >

> why does it not surprise me that the 2 of you take joy in other
> people's fights. both of you are true bottom feeders.

Mack, I don't think anyone here took joy in the dispute between Janet
and Susan... except, from the looks of things, you.

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Apology

Kurt wrote:

> Mack, I don't think anyone here took joy in the dispute between Janet
> and Susan... except, from the looks of things, you.

I owe most of you an apology. As stated before I am having a very
difficult time right now. Every single time I have posted that we don't
net carbs unless the fiber count is 5 grams or more per serving, Susan
feels a necessity to comment about it. My shields are down, so to speak,
and I was attempting to use some pre-emptive armor.

I am sorry I upset those of you who didn't have a dog in the fight. I
directed my comment at Susan and no one else. I don't have a problem
with anyone else here and I've enjoyed learning and sharing with you for
many years.

Again, my apologies to everyone (except to the person it was intended for).

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On 22 Aug 2006 23:17:45 -0700, "Kurt"
> Maniacally Screamed the following like
a drunken "Kurt" > into the madness of
usenet:

>> why does it not surprise me that the 2 of you take joy in other
>> people's fights. both of you are true bottom feeders.

>Mack, I don't think anyone here took joy in the dispute between Janet
>and Susan... except, from the looks of things, you.
>
>Kurt

neither you nor tom encourage the two women to seek peace. but you
did show your true colors.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:43:26 -0500, "Pete Romfh"
> Maniacally Screamed the following
like a drunken "Pete Romfh" > into
the madness of usenet:

>Pete Romfh wrote:
>> I'm curious about that other methods people use for
>> tracking their recipes. Particularly, what are diabetics
>> doing to determine their recipe's nutritional values?

>Thanks to all who responded. You've given me some ideas about a cookbook.
>

>FYI: I also received an email from Steve Murch, the CEO of Lakefront
>Software, about a special discount they are offering on their software for
>diabetics.
>
>" Pete, we forgot to let you know about a special promotion we are running
>right now, targeting diabetic users who want to watch what they eat a little
>better.
>There's a coupon, CPN292DIAB, which you can enter in the purchase page, that
>will give you 25% off BigOven Deluxe, and this is valid through September
>1st, 2006. "
>
>Just so it's clear, I don't have any financial connections with Big Oven or
>Lakefront Software. I happen to use their software and contribute recipes to
>their website but have no vested interest in the company.

Regular price: 34.95
Sale price: 29.95
price after using above coupon discount: 22.46

12.49 total savings

just in case anyone was curious.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Ma¢k wrote:
> [Default] On 22 Aug 2006 23:17:45 -0700, "Kurt"
> > Maniacally Screamed the following like
> a drunken "Kurt" > into the madness of
> usenet:
>
> >> why does it not surprise me that the 2 of you take joy in other
> >> people's fights. both of you are true bottom feeders.

> >Mack, I don't think anyone here took joy in the dispute between Janet
> >and Susan... except, from the looks of things, you.
> >
> >Kurt

> neither you nor tom encourage the two women to seek peace.

Do you realize just how foolish it is to single Tom and me out to chide
us for not doing this? Sometimes it is better to let people solve their
own problems then jumping into a heated conversation and telling them
how to behave. And why do you expect others to do that if you don't do
that yourself? Lead by example instead of by criticism.

>but you
> did show your true colors.

As do you every time you go into "boss of everything, do as I say not
as I do" mode. So we're all not perfect and we all have human flaws.
Now I suggest you take your own advice and stop trying to create
problems, by reading this to yourself...

"It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life."- Mck

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On 23 Aug 2006 09:58:12 -0700, "Kurt"
> Maniacally Screamed the following like
a drunken "Kurt" > into the madness of
usenet:

>Ma¢k wrote:
>> [Default] On 22 Aug 2006 23:17:45 -0700, "Kurt"
>> > Maniacally Screamed the following like
>> a drunken "Kurt" > into the madness of
>> usenet:

>> >Mack, I don't think anyone here took joy in the dispute between Janet
>> >and Susan... except, from the looks of things, you.
>> >
>> >Kurt

>> neither you nor tom encourage the two women to seek peace.

>Do you realize just how foolish it is to single Tom and me out to chide
>us for not doing this? Sometimes it is better to let people solve their
>own problems then jumping into a heated conversation and telling them
>how to behave. And why do you expect others to do that if you don't do
>that yourself? Lead by example instead of by criticism.

I did.

>>but you
>> did show your true colors.

>As do you every time you go into "boss of everything, do as I say not
>as I do" mode. So we're all not perfect and we all have human flaws.
>Now I suggest you take your own advice and stop trying to create
>problems, by reading this to yourself...
>
>"It only takes a moment to let go and move on with one's life."- Mck
>
>Kurt

unlike you I do practice what I preach, have fun living in your anger.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Kurt" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Ma¢k wrote:
> [Default] On 22 Aug 2006 23:17:45 -0700, "Kurt"
> > Maniacally Screamed the following like
> a drunken "Kurt" > into the madness of
> usenet:
>
> >> why does it not surprise me that the 2 of you take joy in other
> >> people's fights. both of you are true bottom feeders.

> >Mack, I don't think anyone here took joy in the dispute between Janet
> >and Susan... except, from the looks of things, you.
> >
> >Kurt

> neither you nor tom encourage the two women to seek peace.

Do you realize just how foolish it is to single Tom and me out to chide
us for not doing this?

to tell you the truth Kurt, I didnt realize anyone was fighting on this
thread i only read your exchange with Muck.
Ok Ladies break it up. this is Tom encouraging the two ladies to seek peace.

the moment he found out .
Damn camera's battery is dead.... not as much work for today as i thought.
ok where are those old ADA posts.

Tom

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:05:24 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their
>> recipes.
>> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
>> nutritional values?

> I use Master Cook,

Hi, Janet --

I have Master Cook, as well, and used to use it for all my recipes, but I
wasn't sure about the "MasterCook assumes an average 'whole' size of this
ingredient" disclaimer for the ingredients that I had entered myself.

I'm wondering if I didn't do it right? Do you get this message or know
what it means?

I quit using Master Cook for this reason and now just enter everything in
Fitday to get the nutritional values -- but that has extreme limitations.

Thanks,

Blue

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:40:33 -0500, Pete Romfh wrote:

> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their recipes.
> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
> nutritional values?
> Do you use written cards, scraps of paper, or notes in cookbooks ? (I'm
> converting to electronic but still have two boxes of 3X5 cards)
> Have you adopted the use of recipe software? Which program do you use? Do
> you gather (and/or share) recipes on the internet ? (I often do, it's fun)
> Do you do nutrition analysis yourself or take what the recipe author offers
> as gospel ? (I run each recipe through the program then see if it makes
> sense to me)
>
> I've been using Big Oven to format, analyze, and organize my recipe
> collection for some time now. I'm considering creating yet another cookbook
> and it's been a convenient way to gather up the material. It does a pretty
> good job for me and was quite moderately priced and well supported. The
> nutrition analyzer uses U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data that is frequently
> updated. They also maintain a web site where fellow cooks can share recipes,
> photos, and tips. I've been quite happy with it.

Just started using a package called "Now You're Cooking" which is similar
to all the others, has a link to nutritional info and, to me, is easier to
use than BigOven or any of the others I've tried. It doesn't (that I've
found) have a link to a PDA, which might be nice to take to the store (if
I had a PDA that is :-)

> Also, what do you look for in a cookbook ? If I were writing a book just for
> you, as a diabetic, what you like to see in it ?
> Would you use one in electronic format or do you want something you can take
> to the kitchen and work from? Would you want specific recipes to follow
> exactly or general concepts and ideas you can use to create your own
> versions ? Are pictures and/or diagrams important ? Do you want to know
> about the science behind the foods or just know what to do to get it to work

In a cookbook, I'd like a section on general concepts and a section of
specific recipes with some hints on substitutions. Pictures? No need,
what I cook never looks like the pictures in the book :-) Science? sure
if it's interesting. Electronic access to the recipes would be nice so
that I could easily add them to my favorite recipe software, what ever
that might be at the time. Since that format is unknown, plain ol' ascii
text would be the "format of choice" for me.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

BlueBrooke wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:05:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Pete Romfh wrote:
>>
>>> I'm curious about that other methods people use for tracking their
>>> recipes.
>>> Particularly, what are diabetics doing to determine their recipe's
>>> nutritional values?

>> I use Master Cook,

> Hi, Janet --
>
> I have Master Cook, as well, and used to use it for all my recipes, but
> I wasn't sure about the "MasterCook assumes an average 'whole' size of
> this ingredient" disclaimer for the ingredients that I had entered myself.
>
> I'm wondering if I didn't do it right? Do you get this message or know
> what it means?
>
> I quit using Master Cook for this reason and now just enter everything
> in Fitday to get the nutritional values -- but that has extreme
> limitations.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blue

Hi Blue,

Master Cook's average whole size thing can be bypassed by entering the
nutritional information yourself and deleting theirs. I will sit at the
kitchen table with a bunch of jars and enter the into the program
periodically to keep it up to date with the condiments and sauces we
like to use. If I'm really concerned over a food, I'll go to the USDA
files. http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_ma...ecode=12354500

I really find them to be the most helpful.

I like Pete's Big Oven program, but prefer an offline program a habit
from my days as a fulltime RVer and not having a constant internet
connection <g>

At home, I have a loose leaf notebook with the printed USDA lists and
some other listings I've gotten from doctors and nutritionists over the
years.

DH has been a hero about cooking for himself in the motorhome while we
are here in Houston for my cancer therapy. Since he's not much of a cook
all he manages to get together is grilled meat and veggies. He doesn't
have any carby stuff to cook or to worry about. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:19:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> BlueBrooke wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:05:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:

>>> I use Master Cook,

>> Hi, Janet --
>> I have Master Cook, as well, and used to use it for all my recipes,
>> but I wasn't sure about the "MasterCook assumes an average 'whole'
>> size of this ingredient" disclaimer for the ingredients that I had
>> entered myself.
>> I'm wondering if I didn't do it right? Do you get this message or
>> know what it means?
>> I quit using Master Cook for this reason and now just enter everything
>> in Fitday to get the nutritional values -- but that has extreme
>> limitations.
>> Thanks,
>> Blue

> Hi Blue,
>
> Master Cook's average whole size thing can be bypassed by entering the
> nutritional information yourself and deleting theirs. I will sit at the
> kitchen table with a bunch of jars and enter the into the program
> periodically to keep it up to date with the condiments and sauces we
> like to use. If I'm really concerned over a food, I'll go to the USDA
> files. http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_ma...ecode=12354500

Hi, Janet --

Thanks, but that's my problem. I get this for items that I have entered
myself -- new ones, not even editing the ones they already have. That's
why it throws me -- I've told 'em everything they need to know (yes, my
desk is covered with packages -- LOL!), so the program doesn't need to
"assume" anything.

But the assumption is throwing things off. Oh, well!

Thanks anyway! :-)

Blue
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

BlueBrooke wrote:

> Hi, Janet --
>
> Thanks, but that's my problem. I get this for items that I have
> entered myself -- new ones, not even editing the ones they already
> have. That's why it throws me -- I've told 'em everything they need to
> know (yes, my desk is covered with packages -- LOL!), so the program
> doesn't need to "assume" anything.
>
> But the assumption is throwing things off. Oh, well!
>
> Thanks anyway! :-)
>
> Blue

Have you tried their support web site? It was actually helpful once or
twice for me.

There are better programs for calculating nutritional values but MC is
the only one I've found that functions completely off line.

Sorry I wasn't any help.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:00:18 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> BlueBrooke wrote:
>

>> Hi, Janet --
>> Thanks, but that's my problem. I get this for items that I have
>> entered myself -- new ones, not even editing the ones they already
>> have. That's why it throws me -- I've told 'em everything they need
>> to know (yes, my desk is covered with packages -- LOL!), so the
>> program doesn't need to "assume" anything.
>> But the assumption is throwing things off. Oh, well!
>> Thanks anyway! :-)
>> Blue

> Have you tried their support web site? It was actually helpful once or
> twice for me.

No, I haven't. I get so frustrated trying to deal with support people --
the canned responses and not actually *reading* the messages. I usually
just go on and try to solve the problem myself -- like using Fitday. ;-)

Sounds like they might have forums or something like that, though? I'll
check it out -- thanks.

> There are better programs for calculating nutritional values but MC is
> the only one I've found that functions completely off line.

Yes, and that's what I'm trying to get away from -- having to do
everything online.

> Sorry I wasn't any help.

Thanks for trying!

Blue

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Hi all,

Just wanted to jump in with a comment/correction.

While BigOven can make a lot of extra use of the Internet (e.g., to
search and selectively import from 160,000+ recipes, to post new
recipes online, to track a favorites or try-soon list, etc.), there is
no requirement to be connected to the Internet, and it can function
completely offline as well. You can download over 50,000 recipe box
files that can be used locally; there is no limit to local recipe box
size. Simply go to Tools/Options and uncheck the box "Load Welcome
Page from Internet", and you won't go online unless you specifically
choose an option to do so. BigOven can calculate nutrition facts for
you without access to the Internet.

Thanks, and happy cooking!

- Steve Murch
CEO, Lakefront Software Inc.
www.bigoven.com

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:00:18 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
> > BlueBrooke wrote:
> >

> >> Hi, Janet --
> >> Thanks, but that's my problem. I get this for items that I have
> >> entered myself -- new ones, not even editing the ones they already
> >> have. That's why it throws me -- I've told 'em everything they need
> >> to know (yes, my desk is covered with packages -- LOL!), so the
> >> program doesn't need to "assume" anything.
> >> But the assumption is throwing things off. Oh, well!
> >> Thanks anyway! :-)
> >> Blue

> > Have you tried their support web site? It was actually helpful once or
> > twice for me.

> No, I haven't. I get so frustrated trying to deal with support people --
> the canned responses and not actually *reading* the messages. I usually
> just go on and try to solve the problem myself -- like using Fitday. ;-)
>
> Sounds like they might have forums or something like that, though? I'll
> check it out -- thanks.
>
> > There are better programs for calculating nutritional values but MC is
> > the only one I've found that functions completely off line.

> Yes, and that's what I'm trying to get away from -- having to do
> everything online.
>
> > Sorry I wasn't any help.

> Thanks for trying!
>
> Blue

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

The USDA has a SR18 database that you can download. It works completely
offline.

Hope it helps!

Tasha

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> BlueBrooke wrote:
>

>> Hi, Janet --
>>
>> Thanks, but that's my problem. I get this for items that I have entered
>> myself -- new ones, not even editing the ones they already have. That's
>> why it throws me -- I've told 'em everything they need to know (yes, my
>> desk is covered with packages -- LOL!), so the program doesn't need to
>> "assume" anything.
>>
>> But the assumption is throwing things off. Oh, well!
>>
>> Thanks anyway! :-)
>>
>> Blue

> Have you tried their support web site? It was actually helpful once or
> twice for me.
>
> There are better programs for calculating nutritional values but MC is the
> only one I've found that functions completely off line.
>
> Sorry I wasn't any help.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Ma¢k" > wrote in message

>> or do you want something you can take
>>to the kitchen and work from?

> yes. especially when I want to go to someone else's house and cook.

Hey Mack... you can come cook at my house. No cilantro for me, either. :-)

Lynn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:45:36 -0400, "Lynn"
> Maniacally Screamed the following like a drunken
"Lynn" > into the madness of usenet:

>"Ma¢k" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> or do you want something you can take
>>>to the kitchen and work from?

>> yes. especially when I want to go to someone else's house and cook.
>>

>Hey Mack... you can come cook at my house. No cilantro for me, either. :-)
>
>Lynn

This week we are having Chicken Cacciatore, Roasted Lamb, and Grilled
Mahi Mahi as main courses. Other days will be quick and easy meals.
Tonight I am slicing Ham steaks off the shank I baked yesterday, will
serve grilled with grilled pineapple, roasted asparagus and sliced
Romano tomatoes and cucumbers grown fresh here.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Ma¢k wrote:

> This week we are having Chicken Cacciatore, Roasted Lamb,
> and Grilled Mahi Mahi as main courses. Other days will
> be quick and easy meals. Tonight I am slicing Ham steaks
> off the shank I baked yesterday, will serve grilled with
> grilled pineapple, roasted asparagus and sliced Romano
> tomatoes and cucumbers grown fresh here.

I'm impressed !! Sounds delicious.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

silers wrote:
> The USDA has a SR18 database that you can download. It works completely
> offline.
>
> Hope it helps!
>
> Tasha

Tasha,

I have been using the SR18 database for several years. The carbohydrate
list is great for planning meals for my DM DH as well as the straight
calorie list. DH is taking warfarin for cardio reasons so I have the
vitamine K list. I have to ingest as much protien as I can while I get
through the radiation treatment and there is a database for protiens,
too. I realize that nothing the government does could ever be "perfect"
but these nutrition guides are one expendrure of tax dollars that I
actually approve of <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

[Default] On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:23:09 -0500, "Pete Romfh"
> Maniacally Screamed the following
like a drunken "Pete Romfh" > into
the madness of usenet:

>Ma¢k wrote:
>>
>> This week we are having Chicken Cacciatore, Roasted Lamb,
>> and Grilled Mahi Mahi as main courses. Other days will
>> be quick and easy meals. Tonight I am slicing Ham steaks
>> off the shank I baked yesterday, will serve grilled with
>> grilled pineapple, roasted asparagus and sliced Romano
>> tomatoes and cucumbers grown fresh here.
>>

>I'm impressed !! Sounds delicious.

It was tonight. The added grilled bananas brushed in brown
sugar(sweet-n-low) and honey. went over pretty well.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:18:03 -0400, Ma¢k
> wrote:

>This week we are having Chicken Cacciatore, Roasted Lamb, and Grilled
>Mahi Mahi as main courses. Other days will be quick and easy meals.
>Tonight I am slicing Ham steaks off the shank I baked yesterday, will
>serve grilled with grilled pineapple, roasted asparagus and sliced
>Romano tomatoes and cucumbers grown fresh here.

Welcome to come and cook dinner here too Mack:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Ma¢k" > wrote in message
> [Default] On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:43:26 -0500, "Pete Romfh"
> > Maniacally Screamed the following
> like a drunken "Pete Romfh" > into
> the madness of usenet:
>
>>Pete Romfh wrote:
>>> I'm curious about that other methods people use for
>>> tracking their recipes. Particularly, what are diabetics
>>> doing to determine their recipe's nutritional values?

>>Thanks to all who responded. You've given me some ideas about a cookbook.
>>

>>FYI: I also received an email from Steve Murch, the CEO of Lakefront
>>Software, about a special discount they are offering on their software for
>>diabetics.
>>
>>" Pete, we forgot to let you know about a special promotion we are running
>>right now, targeting diabetic users who want to watch what they eat a
>>little
>>better.
>>There's a coupon, CPN292DIAB, which you can enter in the purchase page,
>>that
>>will give you 25% off BigOven Deluxe, and this is valid through September
>>1st, 2006. "
>>
>>Just so it's clear, I don't have any financial connections with Big Oven
>>or
>>Lakefront Software. I happen to use their software and contribute recipes
>>their website but have no vested interest in the company.

> Regular price: 34.95
> Sale price: 29.95
> price after using above coupon discount: 22.46
>
> 12.49 total savings
>
> just in case anyone was curious.
>
> --
> Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper

This has all inspired me to revive my software cookbooking days. I actually
downloaded several different programs, and liked BigOven the best. Just so
you know, if you download the trial version first, you get an additional
discount for purchasing the full version within a couple of days. My final
price with the coupon was $20.21.

Lynn
GD, 22wks