Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Lab work

Good morning all...I wanted to let you know about my lab work that was
done in February..(I asked for a copy)

My Glucose was 113......normal range 70-99

My bun was 33......normal range 7-24

My Hemoglobin AIC...5.6....normal range 4.2 5.8

Every thing else is in normal range...Dr. said I could be boarder line
diabetic..HMMMMMMMM....JOY

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"JH" > wrote in message
> Good morning all...I wanted to let you know about my lab work that was
> done in February..(I asked for a copy)
>
> My Glucose was 113......normal range 70-99
>
> My bun was 33......normal range 7-24
>
> My Hemoglobin AIC...5.6....normal range 4.2 5.8
>
> Every thing else is in normal range...Dr. said I could be boarder line
> diabetic..HMMMMMMMM....JOY

Joy, come over to alt.support.diabetes and post this - then we can be rude
about your doctor on topic : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The MYTH of Borderline Diabetes

Borderline Diabetes
Ruth MacManus refutes the myth of 'borderline' diabetes
In Diabetes Dialogue, Spring 1996, reviewed May 2001

The following situation is not uncommon: you are at a social function
and somehow the conversation comes around to things medical. You
explain about having type 2 diabetes and inevitably someone remembers a
relative who had just the same things. But then he reconsiders -
possibly this aunt didn't really have diabetes, she just had 'a touch of
sugar', or perhaps 'borderline' diabetes. You start to wonder about
that aunt and all those others who are thought to have some sort of
incomplete diabetes: just what is 'borderline' diabetes?

The problem is that 'borderline' diabetes doesn't exist, although the
term seems to be used quite frequently. In general, it appears to be a
common expression meaning that a person has mild diabetes, or perhaps
that the treatment is only diet and exercise. Why should there be any
problem with this? The difficulty comes with assuming that 'borderline'
diabetes is not as important as 'real' diabetes, or assuming that
treatment can be less careful than for 'true' diabetes.

Diabetes is diagnosed when blood sugar levels are higher than an
accepted normal range. The simplest rules to remember a it is not
normal to have a fasting blood glucose level over 7.0 mmol/L, or a
random (anytime of day) sugar that is greater than 11.1 mmol/L. A
diagnosis of diabetes can be made when two blood glucose level readings
are found above these ranges. Therefore, a person with blood glucose
levels of 20 mmol/L has diabetes, just as does the person with blood
gluocose of 12 mmol/L.

There are two leading goals of diabetes treatment: to get rid of the
symptoms that come when blood glucose levels are high (such as thirst,
frequent urination and blurred vision), and to prevent any complications
from the diabetes. Someone with blood glucose levels just high enough
to fit the definition of diabetes may not have any symptoms at all, and
this is the person who is often labelled as having 'borderline' diabetes.

Unfortunately, complications from diabetes can occur even without any
symptoms of high blood glucose and in this regard diabetes can be very
devious. The false sense of security that comes from assuming there is
only 'a touch of sugar' is therefore a major cause of concern. It's not
uncommon for an individual to develop major foot ulcer or kidney trouble
without realizing that the blood glucose levels were causing any harm.

In addition, type 2 diabetes has another sly trick up its sleeve: it can
change in severity as time goes on. For instance, when blood glucose
levels slowly creep higher the body will gradually adapt itself, and
there may be no warning symptoms until the blood glucose has been quite
high for many months. Therefore, it is wise to have routine blood
testing and follow-up to find these changes early so that treatment can
be started.

Let's consider a woman who was diagnosed with diabetes, then worked hard
at following the diet, started to exercise every day and lost 20 pounds.
The blood glucose levels on her meter are now all within the 3 to 5
mmol/L range. Does she no longer have diabetes? Does she now have
'borderline' diabetes?

The solution to this riddle lies with the fact that diabetes never
really goes away, although it can be very well controlled. Aiming for
blood glucose levels that are normal or near normal is one of the best
ways to keep healthy.

Part of the misunderstanding about being 'borderline' is the assumption
that blood glucose levels are the only abnormality in diabetes. There
are many changes that go along with a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes which
may not depend on the sugar level at all. There can be high blood
pressure, increased total cholesterol and triglycerides (blood fats),
low levels of HDL ('good') cholesterol; high insulin levels; increased
resistance of muscle and liver to the effects of insulin. These
abnormalities may not all go back to normal even if blood glucose levels
are well-controlled and therefore should continue to have appropriate
treatment.

There is a condition known as impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) which
describes a state where the blood glucose levels are not fully within
the diabetes ranges noted above, but neither are they quite normal.
This condition is diagnosed using an oral glucose tolerance test: a
drink of sugar is given on an empty stomach, and blood glucose levels
are tested every half hour for two hours. When the blood glucose levels
after the sugar drink are moderately elevated, then the person has
impaired glucose tolerance. This isn't borderline diabetes but rather a
'between' condition where up to five percent of people with IGT can
progress to true diabetes (usually type 2) each year.

Even without going on to type 2 diabetes, a diagnosis of IGT has some
concerns of its own. Many people with this will be at risk for high
blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, heart and
blood vessel disease, and a higher risk of death than people with lower
blood glucose levels. Therefore, a diagnosis of IGT should also come
with instructions for diet and exercise as well as for careful checkups
of glucose values, weight, cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure.

As you can see, anxiety over 'borderline' diabetes is not just an
argument over words. There are genuine concerns that people who don't
think they have a real condition will not get suitable treatment nor
careful follow-up. The following is suggested as a practical response
to deal with the issue of 'borderline' diabetes.

1. First of all, recognize that diabetes is diabetes - no matter how
high the blood glucose level - and that it is not just a disease of high
blood glucose. Control of blood glucose is important but other changes
inside the body must also be expected and treated, such as high
cholesterol and elevated blood pressure.

2. Recognize that diabetes can be related to complications even without
any warning symptoms. Therefore attention to all aspects of treatment:
diet, education, exercise and/or medication, is still important even if
symptoms are not a problem.

3. Recognize that diabetes is a variable condition: it may need only
diet and exercise for control at present, but time or other illnesses
can bring about great changes. Therefore, be prepared to deal with
these changes by being knowledgeable about diabetes and its control

The next time you hear about someone with a 'touch of sugar' or just
'borderline' diabetes, do that individual a favour. Let him or her know
that all diabetes is important, and that careful treatment of all
aspects of diabetes is always appropriate.

Ruth MacManus MD, FRCPC, Cert Endoc is an Assistant Professor at the
University of Western Ontario and practises in the Department of
Endocrinology and Metabolism at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario.

JH wrote:

> Good morning all...I wanted to let you know about my lab work that was
> done in February..(I asked for a copy)
>
> My Glucose was 113......normal range 70-99
>
> My bun was 33......normal range 7-24
>
> My Hemoglobin AIC...5.6....normal range 4.2 5.8
>
> Every thing else is in normal range...Dr. said I could be boarder line
> diabetic..HMMMMMMMM....JOY

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

JH wrote:
> Good morning all...I wanted to let you know about my lab work that was
> done in February..(I asked for a copy)
>
> My Glucose was 113......normal range 70-99
>
> My bun was 33......normal range 7-24
>
> My Hemoglobin AIC...5.6....normal range 4.2 5.8
>
> Every thing else is in normal range...Dr. said I could be boarder line
> diabetic..HMMMMMMMM....JOY

The others have commented on your two labs that relate to diabetes, the
random glucose test and the A1c. Did your doctor comment on what he
thought about the B.U.N. result, which is elevated. In case you did not
know, B.U.N. (blood urea nitrogen) is one test of the ability of the
kidneys to filter waste products. The other tests most commonly used as
benchmarks are Creatinine (Creatinine Clearance), and Protein or
Albumin. Sometimes an elevated reading can be due to simple dehydration,
a minor fever, or strenuous exercise before the tests. As long as your
doctor can explain the reading, there should be no problem.

Dennis (Type 2)