Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe: Tuna broccoli casserole

Tuna Broccoli casserole:

1 C chopped celery
1/4 C chopped onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons buttery spray
1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
2 C non-fat milk
2 cans (6 oz.) chunk light tuna (drained)
1 C non-fat shredded cheddar
1/4 C red pepper or pimentos
1 package (16 oz.) frozen broccoli

Preparation:

Cook broccoli according to directions on package and drain.
For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook celery and onino in the olive oil
and buttery spray until tender. Stir in flour dry mustard, and pepper.
Add milk all at once; cook until slightly thickened. Combine sauce,
tuna, cheese, red pepper/pimento, and broccoli in a 1 1/2 qt casserole
pan. Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until
bubbly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This sounds good. I don't eat seafood so I'll probably use some
chicken, but this is something I could make for other people and they
would not go into the "I don't see how you live on your diet" talk.
Thanks,

Susan Adair

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

No, I haven't run the nutritional profile. I wondered about the low or
no-fat items as I know they have more carbs. Right now, I can tolerate
them, but know that may not always be so.

This recipe would no doubt be terrific with fresh veggies. We use a
lot of fresh veggies, some frozen, and limited canned. (I prefer the
taste of canned green beans over frozen ones when I can't get fresh.)

Michelle

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

>This sounds good. I don't eat seafood so I'll probably use some
>chicken, but this is something I could make for other people and they
>would not go into the "I don't see how you live on your diet" talk.

LOL!

Chicken sounds like a great substitute.

Michelle

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Gill, thanks so much! and that was fast service :-)

Donna