Gumbo

Default Hoppin' Jane

Hoppin' Jane

This variation on Hoppin' John is great served with cornbread.

Number of Servings: 1
Serving Size: 1 serving

Ingredients Measure Weight
extra-virgin olive oil 1 tsp ---
chopped red onion 2 Tbsp ---
black-eye peas 1/4 cup ---
cooked brown rice 1/2 cup ---
chopped tomatoes 2 Tbsp ---
hard- boiled egg white, chopped 1 ea ---
parsley 1 tsp ---
hot pepper sauce 1 dash ---
Nutrition Information
Amount per serving
Calories 231
Calories From Fat 52
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholestrol 0 mg
Sodium 65 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 10 g

Preparation Instructions

1.. Heat the oil in a small skillet on medium-high heat. Add the red onion and cook until soft, stirring often.
2.. Add the black-eyed peas and pepper, stirring continuously until thoroughly heated.
3.. Spread the warmed brown rice on a serving plate and top with the hot skillet mixture.
4.. Sprinkle the mixture with the tomato, egg white, and parsley. Season as desired with hot pepper and sauce and serve

Alan S

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:53:22 -0500, "Gumbo" > wrote:
<snip>|
| This variation on Hoppin' John is great served with cornbread.
|
| Number of Servings: 1
| Serving Size: 1 serving
<snip recipe>
| Total Carbohydrate 35 g
| Dietary Fiber 5 g
| Sugars 5 g

My diet planner shows a slice of cornbread as 20-28 gms carb.
So in this one serve you have between 50 and 70 gms.

Tell me Gumbo, are you on insulin or other meds? Are you a diabetic?
You say it's great, so presumably you've tried it. What were your BGs
an hour or two later?

This is a rhetorical question folks, because Gumbo never, ever,
replies.

Just posts recipes like this.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Alan S

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:53:22 -0500, "Gumbo" > wrote:
<snip>|
| This variation on Hoppin' John is great served with cornbread.
|
| Number of Servings: 1
| Serving Size: 1 serving
<snip recipe>
| Total Carbohydrate 35 g
| Dietary Fiber 5 g
| Sugars 5 g

My diet planner shows a slice of cornbread as 20-28 gms carb.
So in this one serve you have between 50 and 70 gms.

Tell me Gumbo, are you on insulin or other meds? Are you a diabetic?
You say it's great, so presumably you've tried it. What were your BGs
an hour or two later?

This is a rhetorical question folks, because Gumbo never, ever,
replies.

Just posts recipes like this.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Thomas Muffaletto

if that's a way to make brown rice taste better I may try it.
if I tried it on corn bread I would go with out the rice.
or just have less rice and a small piece of corn bread.
--
Tom
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...