FoodBanter.com

-   -   Recipe: tomato sauce from scratch (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/425956-re-recipe-tomato-sauce.html)

W. Baker 11-10-2013 04:33 AM

Recipe: tomato sauce from scratch

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: You guys are a blessing and have created a
: monster. :-)

: I figured out how to make tomato sauce (which
: I call spaghetti sauce) from scratch. As low
: bad stuff (carbs) as a tomato sauce can get.

: I have never tasted tomato sauce this good! YUM!
: T2 is not a curse!

: Okay. The secret is to start out with tomatoes
: with a great flavor. (Store bought sauce makes up
: for this by adding sugar.)

: And, the garlic is to add a "buttery" taste. If
: you can taste strong garlic, you used to much.
: (No cracks from the peanut gallery, unless they
: are funny.)

: Heat up a stainless steel saute pan. Medium high
: (hot!). You want the pan hot before tossing in
: the tomatoes.

: Chop up 5 giant (5") organic heirloom tomatoes. Do not
: discard the juice.

: Toss about a tomato's worth into the "hot" pan. Wait till
: you get some browning. This adds flavor. (Don't
: worry about messing up your stainless steel pan, the
: acid in the tomatoes makes it self cleaning.)
: Scrape and stir in the browning with a spatula.

: Add the remaining tomatoes. Drizzle with out 3 Tablespoons
: of Olive Oil. Don't add anything thing else at this
: point. There is a chemical reaction between the tomatoes
: and the olive oil that needs to take place.

: Stir every five minutes with a spatula, scrapping the
: bottom of the pan. Takes about 30 minutes. You are
: waiting for the tomatoes to break down. Until you get
: there, you will just have chunks of cooked tomato.

: What you are now waiting for is the tomatoes to break down
: into a paste.

: While your are boiling down the tomatoes to a paste,
: all on the same plate (I use a paper plate),
: --> chop up 1/2" slab of organic onion
: --> slice up two cloves of garlic (not 2 bulbs!)
: --> 1 flat tsp of organic dried oregano
: --> 1/2 flat tsp of organic dried basil
: --> 3 tablespoons of organic butter
: --> 1 flat tablespoon sea salt

: Once the tomatoes cook down into a paste, reduce the
: heat to medium and dump the plate into the newly
: created tomato paste. Stir while scraping with a
: spatula. Cook for about 10 more minutes to cook
: the onion and to meld the flavors of the remaining
: ingredients. Don't over cook, or you will loose
: the buttery flavor of the garlic.

: Makes about seven cups.

: Store in the refrigerator. Spoon out all week
: as a yummy topping. This has bad stuff (carbs),
: so don't go crazy.

: Common mistakes:

: 1) not cooking the tomatoes long enough
: 2) using too much garlic (who me? NEVER!)
: 3) using too much onion.
: 4) adding the other ingredients before the tomatoes
: are ready
: 5) adding the olive oil before the tomatoes. You WILL get
: splashed with hot oil (it hurts and creates a mess)!

: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2682/2
: 1 large (3") tomato: 7 grams of the bad stuff (carbs)

: Estimating five giant (5 inch) heirloom tomatoes:
: 5"/3" * 7 grams per 3" tomato * 5 tomatoes ~= 58 grams carbs.
: Or approximately 8.3 grams bad stuff per cup
: Or approximately 1/2 gram per tablespoon

: -T

Interesting recipe suitable around here for about 1 month a ear when you
can get really fresh tomatoes. Have you ever tried any for either canned
tomatoes(which in the lOOOONG off-season, are better than fresh, or
commercial, canned tomato pase, either alone or added to the tomatoes>

I like a sauce with plenty of garli flacor as well ad oonions and
generally use canned . In addition, fresh basil added near theend adds a
lovely flavor.

Here is a quick and dirty tomato sauce for all year round. in a large
glass measuring cup 2 qts or more, put olive oile and chopped or sliced
onions(1 med to large). cover tichtly iwth plastic wrap and micorwave them
unti onions are nice and soft. Add a 28oz can of toamtoes, I like whole
plum which I kind of chnk pit first. add several sprigs of fresh basil,
tightly cover with the plastic srap adn microwve for about 5 mins. season
to taste with S&P adn any other herbs you might like. this is a
modificaion of Barbara Kafka's recipe in Microwave Gourmet.

Wendy

Peppermint Patootie 16-10-2013 10:47 PM

Recipe: tomato sauce from scratch

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Haven't tried the canned tomatoes yet. A bit weired out
> by the liners in the cans. Any sugestions on can liners?
>
> -T

Muir Glen tomatoes have safe can linings.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-10-2013 03:24 AM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> Haven't tried the canned tomatoes yet. A bit weired out
>> by the liners in the cans. Any sugestions on can liners?
>>
>> -T

> Muir Glen tomatoes have safe can linings.

Their tomatoes and salsa are good but their tomato sauce has a very off
taste to it.