FoodBanter.com

-   -   Help with juice (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/424627-help-juice.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 28-06-2013 02:59 AM

Help with juice

I am trying to find something for my diabetic dad to drink. I know that he
loves juice! Not long before he went into the adult group home, he
complained to us that you could no longer buy single serve juices! I knew
this wasn't true. He said he had looked at Albertsons and they had none.
Since there is an Albertson's near Angela's dance studio I am very familiar
with that store. They have some. I was concerned because based on what I
had heard my mom say, he needed some for hypos. So on the way to their
house, we stopped at a little mini store for drinks for ourselves. They had
a small can of pineapple juice, chilled. We bought it, took it to him and
watched in horror as he downed it, right after lunch!

Fast forward to now. He is in this place where they do not make him drink.
And they have been concerned several times about him possibly having a UTI
again. So he keeps having to go to the Dr. for that. He hasn't had any
but... Mostly he only drinks just enough water to swallow his pills. And
that's maybe an ounce or two at best with meals. Not enough!

For a while he was refusing to drink at all, swallowing his pills dry. They
serve Crystal Light with meals which he says is awful and he won't drink it.
He used to love the stuff but... He has dementia. Won't get into the
particulars of that here but from what I have heard/read, it either changes
the taste buds or does something mentally. But bottom line, the suffers
think they no longer like things that they used to. My mom finally
suggested that he get plain water and he will at least drink a little of
that.

He used to drink coffee and tea but gave those up because of the caffeine.
Also gave up all diet soda and anything fizzy. Not sure that he ever liked
lemonade. Never saw him drink that. I know that he used to drink tomato
juice and V8 when I was a kid but I think that was more due to the diet that
he put himself on and not because he likes them. He says that he doesn't
like them.

I had been bringing him single serve diet Cranberry juices and he was
happily downing them. Until the last bottle. He managed to finish it but
kept making faces and saying that it was horrible! He will occasionally
accept and partially drink a bottle of water but we really have to keep on
him to drink any. I have some new fruit flavored drinks. Can't remember
what they are called. Not fizzy. Won't try them.

So my question is... Are there any other diet juices out there? I used to
buy some V8 Splash and it was good but I can't seem to find it in diet.
Would prefer single serve but if I can't get that I could bring a larger one
and some cups. Have not looked at every store but have looked at maybe 3 or
4 and came up dry. Have found some "light" apple juice but it's still
pretty high in carbs.

Or do you have any other drink suggestions? He can't have dairy. He was
using rice milk at home on his cereal but he doesn't like to drink that.
Thanks!

W. Baker 28-06-2013 04:24 PM

Help with juice

Julie Bove wrote:
: I am trying to find something for my diabetic dad to drink. I know that he
: loves juice! Not long before he went into the adult group home, he
: complained to us that you could no longer buy single serve juices! I knew
: this wasn't true. He said he had looked at Albertsons and they had none.

have you tried the flavoed waters that com ein about 8-12 oz sizes? How
about plain V-8 or tomato juice?

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 28-06-2013 04:41 PM

Help with juice

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
: I am trying to find something for my diabetic dad to drink. I know that
he
: loves juice! Not long before he went into the adult group home, he
: complained to us that you could no longer buy single serve juices! I
knew
: this wasn't true. He said he had looked at Albertsons and they had
none.

have you tried the flavoed waters that com ein about 8-12 oz sizes? How
about plain V-8 or tomato juice?

As I said... He won't drink flavored water, tomato or V8 juice.

bigwheel 28-06-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] (Post 1843875)
[...]

Try him on some H2 Orange..which is a big insulated mug 3/4 full of ice water to which has been added 1/4 part orange juice. Let him sip on it all day. Also works with grape juice or wine. Would not give him anything with artificial sweeteners since those are dangerous.

Julie Bove[_2_] 28-06-2013 10:32 PM

Help with juice

"bigwheel" wrote in message

Try him on some H2 Orange..which is a big insulated mug 3/4 full of ice
water to which has been added 1/4 part orange juice. Let him sip on it
all day. Also works with grape juice or wine. Would not give him
anything with artificial sweeteners since those are dangerous.

No, artificial sweeteners are not dangerous and he can't sip on something
like that all day. Nor could I give him anything like that. I have no such
mug nor do I keep ice. He also can't have stuff like full strength juice
because that would require him to take more Creon.

Jean B.[_1_] 29-06-2013 03:16 AM

Help with juice

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I like some of the Fuze beverages. Some are LC, and some or not.

--
Jean B.

Julie Bove[_2_] 29-06-2013 05:01 AM

Help with juice

"Jean B." wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I have bought those for Angela. Not sure he would drink them because they
have vitamins in them, I think. But I will look again. I did find some
Diet V8 Splash and bought a bottle. Not sure he will drink it because it
has mango in it. I know I won't! But it also has pineapple which he loves
and kiwi. Maybe I can at least get him to try it.

Jean B.[_1_] 05-07-2013 03:57 AM

Help with juice

Julie Bove wrote:
"Jean B." wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I guess I should ask whether he need to consume MORE calories, in
which case you might look at the non-diet ones.

--
Jean B.

Julie Bove[_2_] 05-07-2013 04:44 AM

Help with juice

"Jean B." wrote in message
I guess I should ask whether he need to consume MORE calories, in which
case you might look at the non-diet ones.

He needs the diet. Because of other issues. He is losing weight but he is
overweight.

bigwheel 05-07-2013 08:37 PM

You might want to go get yourself educated a bit before starting the gum flapping.

Artificial Sweeteners -- More Dangerous than You Ever Imagined

Julie Bove[_2_] 05-07-2013 09:46 PM

Help with juice

"bigwheel" wrote in message

'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
;1844149']"bigwheel" wrote in
message
-
Try him on some H2 Orange..which is a big insulated mug 3/4 full of
ice
water to which has been added 1/4 part orange juice. Let him sip on it
all day. Also works with grape juice or wine. Would not give him
anything with artificial sweeteners since those are dangerous.-

No, artificial sweeteners are not dangerous and he can't sip on
something
like that all day. Nor could I give him anything like that. I have no
such
mug nor do I keep ice. He also can't have stuff like full strength
juice
because that would require him to take more Creon.

You might want to go get yourself educated a bit before starting the gum
flapping.

'Artificial Sweeteners -- More Dangerous than You Ever Imagined'
(
http://tinyurl.com/ldw56nc)

No, you might! Mercola is a quack!

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/for-shame-dr-oz/

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

Cheri[_3_] 05-07-2013 11:24 PM

Help with juice

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"bigwheel" wrote in message

'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
;1844149']"bigwheel" wrote in
message
-
[...]

For sure.

Cheri

Janet Wilder[_1_] 06-07-2013 01:18 AM

Help with juice

On 7/4/2013 10:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Jean B." wrote in message
I guess I should ask whether he need to consume MORE calories, in which
case you might look at the non-diet ones.

He needs the diet. Because of other issues. He is losing weight but he is
overweight.

My DH likes the "diet" juices from Ocean Spray and the similar, but
cheaper ones under the Great Value Walmart brand.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Julie Bove[_2_] 06-07-2013 06:29 AM

Help with juice

eb.com...
"Jean B." wrote in message
I guess I should ask whether he need to consume MORE calories, in which
case you might look at the non-diet ones.

He needs the diet. Because of other issues. He is losing weight but he
is
overweight.

My DH likes the "diet" juices from Ocean Spray and the similar, but
cheaper ones under the Great Value Walmart brand.

Alas he won't drink Cranberry any more. He did like that V8 Splash that I
bought but I need to try to find it in a smaller container.

bigwheel 06-07-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheri[_3_] (Post 1846136)
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"bigwheel"
wrote in message

'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
;1844149']"bigwheel"
wrote in
message
-
[...]

The only quacks I see around here are you two.

The Health Dangers of Artificial Sweeteners