FoodBanter.com

-   -   Zucchini latkes? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/418833-zucchini-latkes.html)

Peppermint Patootie 12-07-2012 05:45 PM

Zucchini latkes?

I know I should do a web search, but I think someone here posted a good
recipe for zucchini latkes. Or maybe someone has a good one that they
haven't posted before?

My zucchini plants are starting to produce heavily, and I don't feel
like making ratatouille (too hot), nor do I feel like giving them all
away. I can stir fry them or saute with onions, but I thought I'd give
zucchini latkes a try.

Can anyone offer me guidance?

Thanks!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm

W. Baker 12-07-2012 09:52 PM

Zucchini latkes?

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: I know I should do a web search, but I think someone here posted a good
: recipe for zucchini latkes. Or maybe someone has a good one that they
: haven't posted before?

: My zucchini plants are starting to produce heavily, and I don't feel
: like making ratatouille (too hot), nor do I feel like giving them all
: away. I can stir fry them or saute with onions, but I thought I'd give
: zucchini latkes a try.

: Can anyone offer me guidance?

: Thanks!

: Priscilla
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

Here is an enormous list of latke recipes form the Jewish-food archive of
a mail list I am on.
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...tke_index.html

Most are for carby ones, but there are a number of vegetable ones, some
with potato and som ewithout. In general, it is a good idea to salt adn
drain the shreds like done for eggplant to remove some of the excess
liquid. some can be baked rather than fried, but that involved using the
oven, whic can be hot. Often people make a ton and can reheat in the
oven. I would not reheat ina microwave as that would sog things up quite
a bit and crispness is to be desired.

I hope this helps. I have not tried the recipes so can't rcomment one in
particular.

Wendy

Peppermint Patootie 12-07-2012 10:14 PM

Zucchini latkes?

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Here is an enormous list of latke recipes form the Jewish-food archive of
> a mail list I am on.
> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...tke_index.html
>
> Most are for carby ones, but there are a number of vegetable ones, some
> with potato and som ewithout. In general, it is a good idea to salt adn
> drain the shreds like done for eggplant to remove some of the excess
> liquid. some can be baked rather than fried, but that involved using the
> oven, whic can be hot. Often people make a ton and can reheat in the
> oven. I would not reheat ina microwave as that would sog things up quite
> a bit and crispness is to be desired.
>
> I hope this helps. I have not tried the recipes so can't rcomment one in
> particular.
>
> Wendy

Thanks, Wendy. I'm pretty good at adapting recipes. I may make a bunch
with the a/c on this weekend and reheat in the toaster oven as needed.

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm

Alice Faber 12-07-2012 10:55 PM

Zucchini latkes?

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> I know I should do a web search, but I think someone here posted a good
> recipe for zucchini latkes. Or maybe someone has a good one that they
> haven't posted before?
>
> My zucchini plants are starting to produce heavily, and I don't feel
> like making ratatouille (too hot), nor do I feel like giving them all
> away. I can stir fry them or saute with onions, but I thought I'd give
> zucchini latkes a try.

Grate two zukes and c. 1/2 an onion. Squeeze out as much water as
possible; I use a tea towel for this. Mix with one egg, salt and pepper
to taste, and something absorbent. Normally it would be c. 1/4 cup flour
or matzoh meal, but I've taken to using gram flour (from chickpeas), as
it doesn't hit my blood sugar the way wheat does. Heat some oil in a
heavy frying pan and use a spoon to drop blobs of the zuke mixture in
the oil. Flatten with the back of a pancake turner. Flip when it appears
the blob will hold together and the bottom is golden. When the second
side is done, place on paper towel to drain. Repeat until you run out of
the zuke mixture, adding oil as needed. Serve with sour cream.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Peppermint Patootie 15-07-2012 06:10 PM

Zucchini latkes?

After looking at some of the recipes, here's what I did. For my first
try I didn't try to go low carb beyond replacing the potatoes with
zucchini.

2 large zucchini -- washed, cut off ends, grated, put into colander,
tossed with some salt, left for 45 minutes. Then squeezed the water out
(there was a lot that dripped off it before I squeezed it out) and set
it aside.

Grated 1/2 of a large onion.
Minced a couple of garlic scapes.
Minced a few sprigs of flat leaf Italian parsley.

Beat three large eggs in a bowl. Folded in the zucchini, onion, garlic
scapes, and parsley. Added a little salt (it needed more than I added).
Added what seemed like enough flour, which turned out to be just over
1/2 cup. Folded well.

In a large cast iron frying pan, I heated up about 1/4 inch of peanut
oil and got it hot. Spooned the batter into the hot oil, cooking three
at a time. Flipped when the first side was brown.

Served with sour cream. (My luncheon companion was also served sesame
noodles, and we both had fresh cherries for dessert.)

I'll be making these again, and I'll probably see how they do with
almond meal replacing the flour to make them truly low-carb. Next time
I think I'll nuke the minced garlic scapes (if I use them) because they
were a little crunchy.

Priscilla

W. Baker 15-07-2012 06:44 PM

Zucchini latkes?

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
[...]

Well, if you liked them, you are all set for Channuka:-) You nw have a
new hliday to celebrate(an get kids presents for). If you like the
garlic andthe scapes are not available all year round, why not use a
garlic press for smaller particles?

I can't advise on the almond meal as I have not tried it. If you udo use
it, please report back so we can all know if it will work as a thickener
to hold the pancakes togethers.

Wendy-who often feels latke deprived:-(

Peppermint Patootie 15-07-2012 08:49 PM

Zucchini latkes?

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Well, if you liked them, you are all set for Channuka:-) You nw have a
> new hliday to celebrate(an get kids presents for). If you like the
> garlic andthe scapes are not available all year round, why not use a
> garlic press for smaller particles?

My luncheon companion is Jewish, and I suggested that for a winter
festival meal, one could add minced sweet red pepper, and then they'd be
a multi-cultural food item! The zucchini made them very green. :-)

Priscilla

W. Baker 16-07-2012 12:36 AM

Zucchini latkes?

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Well, if you liked them, you are all set for Channuka:-) You nw have a
: > new hliday to celebrate(an get kids presents for). If you like the
: > garlic andthe scapes are not available all year round, why not use a
: > garlic press for smaller particles?

: My luncheon companion is Jewish, and I suggested that for a winter
: festival meal, one could add minced sweet red pepper, and then they'd be
: a multi-cultural food item! The zucchini made them very green. :-)

: Priscilla

Oh, God no! The Christmas latke. Make them in a ring shape with pimento
on toop and hang them on the tree. you would have to fry them nice and
crisp. that's all we need:-)

Wendy