Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default OT Drinkwell 360 fountain

I thought I would try posting this here since there are so many who have
cats. This fountain is for cats and small dogs. It has a circular base
that holds a lot of water and has removable pieces so that you can have a
single fountain or up to five spouts.

I bought this for Bali and Jazzy. Bali LOVES water and the fountain is her
thing. We all loved it at first. But then I tried to take it apart, clean
it and put it back together. That whole process took me two hours the first
few times. It is a PITA and they tell you to do it every two weeks. I
simply could not do this. I was kind of bad. Just letting it go until it
clogged and then doing it. I did use the filters in it but that didn't seem
to help much.

What I noticed was that each time that I cleaned it, it worked a little less
effectively. As in not fountaining the water as well. It was more
trickling down. And it got to where only one spout was putting water out.
This is the all plastic one. Not the chrome. And because it seems to be
cheap plastic, some of the parts near the top broke. I intended to replace
it, but was waiting till we got more money. Well now I think that just
won't happen. I think something went seriously wrong with it.

I should add that this is not our first fountain. Maui had a Petmate for
years. No problems with it. Easy to clean. Then it had some problems.
Can't remember exactly because it has been many years. Bought her another
Petmate. Again no problems. But eventually it got old. Keep in mind that
Maui was 17 when she died. I got the Drinkwell regular fountain just months
before she died. So three fountains in 17 years is a good thing, I think.

I immediately hated that Drinkwell the first time I tried to clean it. The
motor apparently is a bad design. You have to pull it out to clean it. I
have fat, short fingers and getting that motor out can be next to impossible
to me. And after having the 360 I must say that this regular one seems like
a breeze to clean! Gah!

So here's the problem... Last night I noticed a low water level in the 360.
I filled and decided to clean it today because it wasn't fountaining very
well. But that never happened because...

This morning when I got up there was only a smear of water left in it. I
filled it and reminded myself to clean it later after dance. But that never
happened because... Two hours later, the water level was down by half. Now
to fill it I am using an old theater cup. That huge size. It's a plastic
one from one of the Twilight movies. I have to fill it three times to fill
it all the way up. I was using a canning jar prior but it broke. And this
cup works better because it's bigger than the canning jar. But this thing
holds a LOT of water.

Now it isn't hot here. In fact it was so cold today that I really wanted to
wear a long sleeved thermal top. But in June? Couldn't bring myself to do
it. Anyway... We left for dance.

We were gone about 6 to 7 hours. Got back to find the fountain bone dry.
Now both times I did check for leaks. It is on a rug remnant and the carpet
is underneath. Both bone dry.

Took the fountain apart. The only water left in it was under the foam
filter. That filter was only just damp and there was maybe one Tablespoon
of water under that.

I went online to look at the bad reviews again. I should say that most
people seemed to like the fountain overall. But some people had similar
problems with the cleaning and finding that the water output lessened with
time. One person even said they came home to find their cat dead with a
black tongue. The vet said the cat had been electrocuted. There had been
an electrical storm while they were out. Since they couldn't find any
chewed on wires, they decided that the fountain might be to blame. So... I
just decided to throw this one out and get something else.

After reviewing the reviews, I decided to get the Drinkwell Platinum. I do
still have the regular from Maui. I just have no more filters for it. I am
using it now with no filter because Bali was freaking out when she just had
water in a bowl. Jazzy is fine with the bowl. But Bali is overly fond of
any source of running water. I will try to get a filter tomorrow.
Meanwhile I have ordered the Platinum and filters from Amazon because that
was the best price and I have some credit there through Swagbucks. And in
case you're wondering why I didn't go back to the Petmate, it didn't seem to
get very good reviews even though I had good luck with them. But mainly
they didn't seem to hold enough water for more than one cat. I do remember
having to fill the last one daily. The first one I got would last well over
a weekend if I had to leave her home alone. But also in her later years she
had the kidney problem and was drinking a lot more water. Anyway...

Has anyone ever had something like this happen? Or can you think of why it
would have? Couldn't have been evaporation unless perhaps the thing
overheated and boiled or simmered all the water out of it. But it didn't
feel hot to the touch and nothing looked melted.

I just felt so bad when I came in to find both cats staring at the lack of
water and Bali was crying pitifully. I have no clue how long they were out
of water for. I guess in the future I will leave them a bowl of water too.
Just in case. Then when I threw out the 360, I could hear Bali wailing
through the door to the garage. Then I dug out Maui's old regular Drinkwell
from the garage and Bali's eyes got all big when she saw it. It was like...
Oh! Oh! I know what THAT is! And it's for ME!!!!

Yes, I know I could just keep using the old regular Drinkwell but I just
feel kind of funny doing that since it was Maui's. And the Platinum one is
supposed to be better and I know it is BPA free. But I will keep using this
old one until the one from Amazon arrives. And that could be soon.
Sometimes I get my items in a day or three.

Anyway... Any thoughts as to where that large amount of water could have
gone? I sure don't want that to happen again!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> water and Bali was crying pitifully. I have no clue how long they were
> out of water for. I guess in the future I will leave them a bowl of water
> too. Just in case. Then when I threw out the 360, I could hear Bali
> wailing through the door to the garage. Then I dug out Maui's old regular
> Drinkwell from the garage and Bali's eyes got all big when she saw it. It
> was like... Oh! Oh! I know what THAT is! And it's for ME!!!!
>
> Yes, I know I could just keep using the old regular Drinkwell but I just
> feel kind of funny doing that since it was Maui's. And the Platinum one
> is supposed to be better and I know it is BPA free. But I will keep using
> this old one until the one from Amazon arrives. And that could be soon.
> Sometimes I get my items in a day or three.
>
> Anyway... Any thoughts as to where that large amount of water could have
> gone? I sure don't want that to happen again!

My Son and his wife have one for their five dogs...they seem to like
it...now if we could just get them to wipe their mouths when they are
done..LOL. don't know if they have ever had that problem.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]
>> regular Drinkwell from the garage and Bali's eyes got all big when she
>> saw it. It was like... Oh! Oh! I know what THAT is! And it's for
>> ME!!!!
>>
>> Yes, I know I could just keep using the old regular Drinkwell but I just
>> feel kind of funny doing that since it was Maui's. And the Platinum one
>> is supposed to be better and I know it is BPA free. But I will keep
>> using this old one until the one from Amazon arrives. And that could be
>> soon. Sometimes I get my items in a day or three.
>>
>> Anyway... Any thoughts as to where that large amount of water could have
>> gone? I sure don't want that to happen again!
>>

> My Son and his wife have one for their five dogs...they seem to like
> it...now if we could just get them to wipe their mouths when they are
> done..LOL. don't know if they have ever had that problem.

Glad they like it!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Has anyone ever had something like this happen? Or can you think of why it
> would have? Couldn't have been evaporation unless perhaps the thing
> overheated and boiled or simmered all the water out of it. But it didn't
> feel hot to the touch and nothing looked melted.

what did Drinkwell customer service tell you when you called them with this
problem?