Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Food for the 4th?

I am soooo uninspired this year. It's still cold here. I would turn the
heat on if I could afford to! I'm still wearing flannel to bed and still
have the flannel sheets on. Had to dig out an extra blanket for Angela.

I have some pea beans and that brown sugar Splenda. I plan to make some
kind of low sugar baked beans with that. I'm sure Angela will complain
about the end result. She never likes my beans. She does like the canned
kind.

I just don't know what else to make. I usually do hamburger patties and
maybe some hot dogs. She and I don't eat the buns. And my husband won't be
here so I don't have to worry about buns for him. If this is what I will
make. I still have a few burger patties in the freezer. I will ask her
about the hot dogs. Once in a while she will want them but usually not. I
do also have some frozen cooked chicken breast.

What other foods are traditionally served on the 4th? I can't really make
some of the stuff that I used to. I used to make a yummy macaroni and
cheese with tuna salad. But I can't have that. My normal pasta salad has
beans in it. I guess I could make a small pasta salad of some kind with
just raw veggies and no beans. Because I wouldn't want beans with the baked
beans. OTOH I don't want too many carbs. Grrr... Always something.

We do normally have things like raw veggies and olives on a regular basis.

We don't do desserts. And I don't eat fruit although Angela does. I know
that watermelon is a typical 4th food.

I just want to make some kind of a special meal because we probably won't be
having any fireworks. With my husband retiring in a few days we can't
afford to buy much. I think I do have a few small things left in the
garage. But... They are predicting showers on the 4th and a high of only
66! We might have to just sit in the house and watch stuff on TV. Normally
our neighbors do those really good, expensive ones so I don't buy too many.
But even to buy a few smallish things can get me to spend $100.

So what foods do you normally serve on the 4th? And if you don't celebrate
the 4th where you are at... What kinds of festive foods would you serve for
a summer party? Oh and we don't own a BBQ nor do I want to have one. So it
would have to be non-grilled stuff. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'll have warmed over tacos on the 4th because it's warmed over tacos
day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
> I'll have warmed over tacos on the 4th because it's warmed over tacos
> day.

Ah... Well tacos aren't very special for us since we eat them a lot. Like
tonight.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>> I'll have warmed over tacos on the 4th because it's warmed over tacos
>> day.

> Ah... Well tacos aren't very special for us since we eat them a lot.
> Like tonight.

I love taco salads, just no shells or chips for us. We have them often too.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>>> I'll have warmed over tacos on the 4th because it's warmed over tacos
>>> day.

>> Ah... Well tacos aren't very special for us since we eat them a lot.
>> Like tonight.

> I love taco salads, just no shells or chips for us. We have them often
> too.

Me too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I am soooo uninspired this year. It's still cold here. I would turn the
>heat on if I could afford to! I'm still wearing flannel to bed and still
>have the flannel sheets on. Had to dig out an extra blanket for Angela.
>
> I have some pea beans and that brown sugar Splenda. I plan to make some
> kind of low sugar baked beans with that. I'm sure Angela will complain
> about the end result. She never likes my beans. She does like the canned
> kind.
>
> I just don't know what else to make. I usually do hamburger patties and
> maybe some hot dogs. She and I don't eat the buns. And my husband won't
> be here so I don't have to worry about buns for him. If this is what I
> will make. I still have a few burger patties in the freezer. I will ask
> her about the hot dogs. Once in a while she will want them but usually
> not. I do also have some frozen cooked chicken breast.
>
> What other foods are traditionally served on the 4th? I can't really make
> some of the stuff that I used to. I used to make a yummy macaroni and
> cheese with tuna salad. But I can't have that. My normal pasta salad has
> beans in it. I guess I could make a small pasta salad of some kind with
> just raw veggies and no beans. Because I wouldn't want beans with the
> baked beans. OTOH I don't want too many carbs. Grrr... Always
> something.
>
> We do normally have things like raw veggies and olives on a regular basis.
>
> We don't do desserts. And I don't eat fruit although Angela does. I know
> that watermelon is a typical 4th food.
>
> I just want to make some kind of a special meal because we probably won't
> be having any fireworks. With my husband retiring in a few days we can't
> afford to buy much. I think I do have a few small things left in the
> garage. But... They are predicting showers on the 4th and a high of only
> 66! We might have to just sit in the house and watch stuff on TV.
> Normally our neighbors do those really good, expensive ones so I don't
> buy too many. But even to buy a few smallish things can get me to spend
> $100.
>
> So what foods do you normally serve on the 4th? And if you don't
> celebrate the 4th where you are at... What kinds of festive foods would
> you serve for a summer party? Oh and we don't own a BBQ nor do I want to
> have one. So it would have to be non-grilled stuff. Thanks!

Since I'm having surgery Friday, I will probably won't be eating anything
with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs aren't to bad. Oscar
Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could try those.I can't eat Turkey
Burgers they make me gag. The lady that did my heart echo the other day said
she found a Mesquite seasoning that really make Turkey Burgers taste good.
If I feel up to it I will make Potato Salad and baked beans for hubby and
anyone else that drops by. I'll make a salad for me. I'm going to make
something with cherries for hubby...he likes cherry pie filling in crust
....have to look at my recipes. If I feel like it I will have watermelon for
dessert. If it was a normal 4th for us, we would invite the kids over and
have ribs, chicken, burgers and hot dogs , Potato Salad, Baked Beans. Fresh
veggies with a dip of some sorts. Some 4ths I have bbqued a brisket , maybe
have baked potatoes and a salad. That is usually if it is just going to be
hubby and me,

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]

> with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs aren't to bad. Oscar
> Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could try those.I can't eat Turkey
> Burgers they make me gag. The lady that did my heart echo the other day
> said she found a Mesquite seasoning that really make Turkey Burgers taste
> good. If I feel up to it I will make Potato Salad and baked beans for
> hubby and anyone else that drops by. I'll make a salad for me. I'm going
> to make something with cherries for hubby...he likes cherry pie filling in
> crust ...have to look at my recipes. If I feel like it I will have
> watermelon for dessert. If it was a normal 4th for us, we would invite the
> kids over and have ribs, chicken, burgers and hot dogs , Potato Salad,
> Baked Beans. Fresh veggies with a dip of some sorts. Some 4ths I have
> bbqued a brisket , maybe have baked potatoes and a salad. That is usually

Ooooh, I do not like turkey burgers. Angela likes those though.

I have never made a brisket. One day I will. I think my husband would like
it. Not with BBQ though. We don't like that flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> Since I'm having surgery Friday, I will probably won't be eating anything
> with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs aren't to bad. Oscar
> Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could try those.I can't eat Turkey

I hope your surgery goes well Jacquie and you're soon bouncing back. As to
the Oscar Meyer white turkey dogs...all I can say is they're not ghastly,
but they're not at all good either. Really. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>> Since I'm having surgery Friday, I will probably won't be eating anything
>> with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs aren't to bad.
>> Oscar Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could try those.I can't eat
>> Turkey

> I hope your surgery goes well Jacquie and you're soon bouncing back. As to
> the Oscar Meyer white turkey dogs...all I can say is they're not ghastly,
> but they're not at all good either. Really. :-)
>
> Cheri

Yeh, I had the hot dogs today...no flavor. I do like the Jennie O's though
Thanks Cheri...if I'm lucky I'll be home tomorrow evening. Surgery is at 2.
Still not sure if they are going to cut or not. I was told today that
diabetics need to be off their meds for surgery because the meds have been
Black Boxed...which means they can cause reactions to the anesthesia...so no
diabetic drugs tonight

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>
>>> Since I'm having surgery Friday, I will probably won't be eating
>>> anything with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs aren't to
>>> bad. Oscar Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could try those.I
>>> can't eat Turkey

>> I hope your surgery goes well Jacquie and you're soon bouncing back. As
>> to the Oscar Meyer white turkey dogs...all I can say is they're not
>> ghastly, but they're not at all good either. Really. :-)
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Yeh, I had the hot dogs today...no flavor. I do like the Jennie O's though
> Thanks Cheri...if I'm lucky I'll be home tomorrow evening. Surgery is at
> 2. Still not sure if they are going to cut or not. I was told today that
> diabetics need to be off their meds for surgery because the meds have been
> Black Boxed...which means they can cause reactions to the anesthesia...so
> no diabetic drugs tonight

I'll be thinking about you, and please let us know how things went as soon
as you feel up to it. Best to you.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message

> > Since I'm having surgery Friday, I will probably won't be eating
> > anything with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs aren't
> > to bad. Oscar Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could try those.I
> > can't eat Turkey

> I hope your surgery goes well Jacquie and you're soon bouncing back. As
> to the Oscar Meyer white turkey dogs...all I can say is they're not
> ghastly, but they're not at all good either. Really. :-)

Good luck with your surgery, Jacquie!

I'm not much for turkey. Jun grilled me a chicken drumstick and wing
tonight with a very little of her homemade sweet and spicy (marmalade and
Sriracha?) sauce. Low salt and pepper as she's protecting my kidleys.
<sigh>

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Lobster with drawn butter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> Since I'm having surgery Friday, I will probably won't be eating
>>> anything with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs
>>> aren't to bad. Oscar Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could
>>> try those.I can't eat Turkey Burgers they make me gag. The lady
>>> that did my heart echo the other day said she found a Mesquite
>>> seasoning that really make Turkey Burgers taste good. If I feel up
>>> to it I will make Potato Salad and baked beans for hubby and anyone
>>> else that drops by. I'll make a salad for me. I'm going to make
>>> something with cherries for hubby...he likes cherry pie filling in
>>> crust ...have to look at my recipes. If I feel like it I will have
>>> watermelon for dessert. If it was a normal 4th for us, we would
>>> invite the kids over and have ribs, chicken, burgers and hot dogs ,
>>> Potato Salad, Baked Beans. Fresh veggies with a dip of some sorts.
>>> Some 4ths I have bbqued a brisket , maybe have baked potatoes and a
>>> salad. That is usually if it is just going to be hubby and me,

>> Ooooh, I do not like turkey burgers. Angela likes those though.
>>
>> I have never made a brisket. One day I will. I think my husband
>> would like it. Not with BBQ though. We don't like that flavor.

> You don't like the taste of smoke, or the BBQ sauce (which I do't care
> for)?

There's more than one kind of BBQ. Today I made North Carolina-style pulled
pork and coleslaw. The sauce is vinegar-based with some heat. It was
delicious, and definitely diabetic-friendly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...

>> > Since I'm having surgery Friday, I will probably won't be eating
>> > anything
>> > with to much fat. I found that Jennie-O's turkey dogs aren't to bad.
>> > Oscar
>> > Meyer now has white turkey hotdogs...I could try those.I can't eat
>> > Turkey
>> > Burgers they make me gag. The lady that did my heart echo the other day
>> > said she found a Mesquite seasoning that really make Turkey Burgers
>> > taste
>> > good. If I feel up to it I will make Potato Salad and baked beans for
>> > hubby and anyone else that drops by. I'll make a salad for me. I'm
>> > going
>> > to make something with cherries for hubby...he likes cherry pie filling
>> > in
>> > crust ...have to look at my recipes. If I feel like it I will have
>> > watermelon for dessert. If it was a normal 4th for us, we would invite
>> > the
>> > kids over and have ribs, chicken, burgers and hot dogs , Potato Salad,
>> > Baked Beans. Fresh veggies with a dip of some sorts. Some 4ths I have
>> > bbqued a brisket , maybe have baked potatoes and a salad. That is
>> > usually
>> > if it is just going to be hubby and me,

>> Ooooh, I do not like turkey burgers. Angela likes those though.
>>
>> I have never made a brisket. One day I will. I think my husband would
>> like
>> it. Not with BBQ though. We don't like that flavor.

> You don't like the taste of smoke, or the BBQ sauce (which I do't care
> for)?

Right. I don't like the taste of either. And I don't think that food that
is cooked on a BBQ is healthy. So we generally won't eat it. Once in a
blue moon we will be invited to a BBQ and then I might eat a hamburger
patty. I figure it can't do too much damage then. But as a general rule, I
won't eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Billy wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> Ooooh, I do not like turkey burgers. Angela likes those though.
>>>
>>> I have never made a brisket. One day I will. I think my husband
>>> would like it. Not with BBQ though. We don't like that flavor.

>> You don't like the taste of smoke, or the BBQ sauce (which I do't care
>> for)?

> There's more than one kind of BBQ. Today I made North Carolina-style
> pulled pork and coleslaw. The sauce is vinegar-based with some heat. It
> was delicious, and definitely diabetic-friendly.

I grew up in a house where the only meat we had was plain. We didn't even
have gravy. And usually no sauces of any kind. We did have tomato sauce on
pasta. But to me, meat with a sauce on it just seems gloppy and in general
I don't like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I didn't make tacos until today, my power was off for 6 days to a severe
windstorm that affected several states.