Member

Default Advice on a diet plan...

Well i looked around on the net abit today. and saw the simple steps i can take to start with. This is mostly managing how much i eat more than what i eat for the moment.

eat 5 meals a day which include 3meals & 2 snacks.
snack shouldn't be bigger than the size of your fist
meat for meals shouldn't be bigger than the size of your palm.
no eating 3 hours before bed, so that would be 8pm usally for me.
i'm also starting to count cals again where i can.
Also take help from this site

Last edited by micalhassi : 19-05-2012 at 07:58 AM
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:21:04 AM UTC-5, micalhassi wrote:
> Well i looked around on the net abit today. and saw the simmple steps i
> can take to start with. This is mostly managing how much i eat more than
> what i eat for the moment.
>
> eat 5 meals a day which include 3meals & 2 snacks.
> snack shouldn't be bigger than the size of your fist
> meat for meals shouldn't be bigger than the size of your palm.
> no eating 3 hours before bed, so that would be 8pm usally for me.
> i'm also starting to count cals again where i can.

[snip]
> micalhassi

There are two main plans for losing weight - a low-fat diet and a low-carb-diet. Usually, a low-carb diet works best for those with type 2 diabetes (the type usually treated with pills instead of insulin). It's more uncomfortable at the start, but then it decreases your appetite and becomes easier to follow.

For this diet, start out with no sugar and very little starchy foods. Once you decrease your blood glucose readings enough, you can SLOWLY start increasing the sugar and starchy foods, as long as your blood glucose readings stay low enough.

The main reason for snacks is so that you don't get too hungry between meals, and can spread out the remaining starchy foods in your diet in order to limit their effect on your blood glucose readings.

If someone gives you the advice that your brain needs a certain amount of carbohydrates in your diet, this is obsolete advice. Your liver can convert protein into glucose fast enough to supply those portions of your brain that cannot switch to using ketones for energy. Your liver produces ketones from fat - either the fat in your diet or the fat you lose as you lose weight.

Note that, for type 1 diabetes, you need to control the amount of ketones your liver produces - too much becomes toxic. For type 1, your liver does not automatically shut off ketone production when you have enough in your blood, once you're past a cetain level of glucose in your blood.