Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default South Beach?

I know it seems rather old hat now. I had heard of this diet but didn't pay
much attention to it. I had thought it was 40% carbs and the rest fat and
protein but apparently not.

Anyway... Angela saw the gastroenterologist today and he said she must be
on Atkins or South Beach but that South Beach would be easier to follow.

Had a hard time finding the books. Went to three stores before we found
them although I did find what seems to be a new hardbound book about South
Beach. It isn't the diet proper but it did have sections about kids and for
parents and diet in general so I thought I should read it too.

We bought the paperbacks of the basic diet and the newer diet and Angela
found a book about dining out. Since we were going to go out to eat and
since we hadn't a clue what she should eat, we bought it. Panera Bread was
listed so we went there. We have a new one with a drive through. We tried
to order one of the sandwiches that was listed in the book only to find
there is no such thing. So we ordered the closest thing to that, that
didn't have almonds in it since she can't have them.

I still need to read the books but that will take a while. In the meantime,
I am confused. For instance, why is the whole grain bread allowed at
Panera? The pieces of bread looked pretty big. Buns are also allowed at
Arby's but they are not at a lot of restaurants. Almonds are allowed but
walnuts are not? Cheese is sometimes allowed? Looks like whole eggs might
not be allowed but egg whites are? This seems to also be a low fat diet.
Fruit seems to be allowed. But no potatoes? Not sure about other veggies.

Does anyone have any quick pointers? For instance what would be allowed as
snacks or for lunch? We are really low on food at the moment. We have the
rest of the Easter eggs. Some cooked hamburger patties, cooked chicken
breast, a little bit of sliced turkey, some roast beef, baby carrots, sliced
apples, canned green beans, canned tuna, chicken and turkey and
well...mostly a lot of other stuff I know wouldn't likely be on there like
potatoes, rice and pasta.

We will probably just go out to eat or get takeout again tomorrow night at
least for her because until I have it all sorted out at least I know what
she can eat via the book.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I know it seems rather old hat now. I had heard of this diet but didn't pay
> much attention to it. I had thought it was 40% carbs and the rest fat and
> protein but apparently not.
>
> Anyway... Angela saw the gastroenterologist today and he said she must be
> on Atkins or South Beach but that South Beach would be easier to follow.
>
> Had a hard time finding the books. Went to three stores before we found
> them although I did find what seems to be a new hardbound book about South
> Beach. It isn't the diet proper but it did have sections about kids and for
> parents and diet in general so I thought I should read it too.
>
> We bought the paperbacks of the basic diet and the newer diet and Angela
> found a book about dining out. Since we were going to go out to eat and
> since we hadn't a clue what she should eat, we bought it. Panera Bread was
> listed so we went there. We have a new one with a drive through. We tried
> to order one of the sandwiches that was listed in the book only to find
> there is no such thing. So we ordered the closest thing to that, that
> didn't have almonds in it since she can't have them.
>
> I still need to read the books but that will take a while. In the meantime,
> I am confused. For instance, why is the whole grain bread allowed at
> Panera? The pieces of bread looked pretty big.

when was the book published?