FoodBanter.com

-   -   weirdest thing ever.. (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/414725-weirdest-thing-ever.html)

KROM 09-01-2012 10:06 PM

weirdest thing ever..

I think I'm having the perfect storm of oddness going on with my BG.

I am putting it in the food group because its food related in that I think
there's three issues.

one is a hormonal making me sensitive the other is two trusted food products
let me down.

so the combo made my bg the highest its ever been in years.

what made me mad was I'm a routine eater..I eat pretty much the exact same
meals every day so unless I am sick my bg is always the same.

about 83-93

last week it was yo-yoing as high as 200 it was crazy and I had zero idea
why

so I went thru ever food I was eating and found those meatballs spiked not
only me but my wife who isn't a diabetic

so I figured that solved that..

but I was still getting highs and lows and eating next to zero carbs it made
zero sense

I got so desperate I was eating just plain chicken breast and boiled eggs to
figure it out and I was still spiking.

then I realized it was my coffee!

so I removed the splenda...still a spike..removed the splash heavy
cream..spike...so it was spiking me bad just black.

weirdest thing ever!

so I think maybe now caffeine spikes me..so I took a caffeine
tablet..nothing...I tried instant coffee nothing...tried a different
brand..nothing..tried that coffee again black..spike!

this was aldis brand copy of dunkin doughnuts coffee..

it seems that if I think on it Kona never bothers me at all..but Arabica
does..don't know why

maybe the pesticides used on those farms?

but now that I stopped drinking it I'm back to normal

anyhoo was weird

KROM

Nick Cramer 10-01-2012 05:41 AM

weirdest thing ever..

"KROM" > wrote:
> I think I'm having the perfect storm of oddness going on with my BG.
> [ . . . . ]
> it seems that if I think on it Kona never bothers me at all..but Arabica
> does..don't know why
>
> maybe the pesticides used on those farms?
>
> but now that I stopped drinking it I'm back to normal
>
> anyhoo was weird

I drink a lot of coffee; maybe a quart and a half a day. Mostly, they get
Folgers or Kirkland for me. I love Kona coffee (you know, it's an Arabica),
but it's too pricey for me to have more than occasionally. The best I've
found is from www.smithfarms.com/. The owners, Cecilia (Cea) and Bob are
nice people, too. If you contact them, tell them I said, "Hi!"

How do you control your BG?

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

KROM 10-01-2012 07:39 PM

weirdest thing ever..

I love my coffee and have never had this reaction to it before.

the reason I went from my Kona to the other was it was half the cost..lol

I am lucky in that the Kona I get here is reasonable at 6 bucks for a 13
ounce bag..its actually cheaper the folders in the same size bag..the aldi's
dunking doughnuts rip off was 3 bucks a bag.

before the stupid meatballs and coffee fiasco I was controlling with just
one met a day in the morning and exercise ad my steady diet.

now because it sent me off so bad its like starting from scratch..probably
be a week or so for my body to get back on track...hopefully perm damage was
done.

sigh..

KROM

Tiger Lily 10-01-2012 08:39 PM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/9/2012 3:06 PM, KROM wrote:
> I think I'm having the perfect storm of oddness going on with my BG.
>
> I am putting it in the food group because its food related in that I
> think there's three issues.
>
> one is a hormonal making me sensitive the other is two trusted food
> products let me down.
>
> so the combo made my bg the highest its ever been in years.
>
> what made me mad was I'm a routine eater..I eat pretty much the exact
> same meals every day so unless I am sick my bg is always the same.
>
> about 83-93
>
> last week it was yo-yoing as high as 200 it was crazy and I had zero
> idea why
>
> so I went thru ever food I was eating and found those meatballs spiked
> not only me but my wife who isn't a diabetic
>
> so I figured that solved that..
>
> but I was still getting highs and lows and eating next to zero carbs it
> made zero sense
>
> I got so desperate I was eating just plain chicken breast and boiled
> eggs to figure it out and I was still spiking.
>
> then I realized it was my coffee!
>
> so I removed the splenda...still a spike..removed the splash heavy
> cream..spike...so it was spiking me bad just black.
>
> weirdest thing ever!
>
> so I think maybe now caffeine spikes me..so I took a caffeine
> tablet..nothing...I tried instant coffee nothing...tried a different
> brand..nothing..tried that coffee again black..spike!
>
> this was aldis brand copy of dunkin doughnuts coffee..
>
> it seems that if I think on it Kona never bothers me at all..but Arabica
> does..don't know why
>
> maybe the pesticides used on those farms?
>
> but now that I stopped drinking it I'm back to normal
>
> anyhoo was weird
>
> KROM

some mysteries just don't ever make sense do they?

i know when i was first diagnosed with diabetes, i was NOT allowed to
drink coffee

that lasted until i got out of hospital!

stress/adrenaline can either significantly raise OR lower my bg
levels...... i do see a correlation with positive stress/lower bg and
negative stress/higher bg

having said that....... the stress response isn't 100%, i have to be on
my toes and test/correct/test as need be

glad you found the meatballs were causing a problem, wonder how much
sugar they put in them! sigh

kate

Tiger Lily 10-01-2012 08:44 PM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/10/2012 12:39 PM, KROM wrote:
> now because it sent me off so bad its like starting from
> scratch..probably be a week or so for my body to get back on
> track...hopefully no perm damage was done.
>
> sigh..
>
> KROM

oh ya, the body sure likes to hold on to those higher levels doesn't it?
All part of the human body system that we need to learn to live with.

short term bg spikes shouldn't cause perm damage, but they are
theorizing that statement, no real proof, as Gys noted in his post on ASD

kate

KROM 11-01-2012 09:50 PM

weirdest thing ever..

normally caffeine and pretty much anything with a ratio of 30 carb 40
protein and 30 percent fat wont spike me unless it’s a dead simple carb like
candy.

I am a simple eater though so rarely change my diet I could eat three peanut
butter sandwiches a day for the rest of my life...I might crave chocolate or
steak time to time but rarely.

its funny because I love food and I love to cook but if I was told all I
could ever eat for the rest of my life was pork chops for all meals id not
be that bothered by it.

those meatballs were labeled as one carb per serving and rest protein and
fat which should never spike me ever.

they did and even spiked my wife who isn't a diabetic...was crazy.

once I figured out it was them and the coffee I cut those out but am still
so carb sensitive that even a splash of heavy cream can spike me.

Stress will raise me but only extreme stress and I am glad to say not had
that often

KROM

Tiger Lily 11-01-2012 11:05 PM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/11/2012 2:50 PM, KROM wrote:
> normally caffeine and pretty much anything with a ratio of 30 carb 40
> protein and 30 percent fat wont spike me unless it’s a dead simple carb
> like candy.
>
> I am a simple eater though so rarely change my diet I could eat three
> peanut butter sandwiches a day for the rest of my life...I might crave
> chocolate or steak time to time but rarely.
>
> its funny because I love food and I love to cook but if I was told all I
> could ever eat for the rest of my life was pork chops for all meals id
> not be that bothered by it.
>
> those meatballs were labeled as one carb per serving and rest protein
> and fat which should never spike me ever.
>
> they did and even spiked my wife who isn't a diabetic...was crazy.
>
> once I figured out it was them and the coffee I cut those out but am
> still so carb sensitive that even a splash of heavy cream can spike me.
>
> Stress will raise me but only extreme stress and I am glad to say not
> had that often
>
> KROM

KROM

I'm stuck on those meatballs......... were they full of sulphates and
sulphites? Allergies will raise my bg in foods that shouldn't do that
at all......... found that one out the hard way.

jus thinkin

kate

Ozgirl 12-01-2012 12:25 AM

weirdest thing ever..

"KROM" > wrote in message
> http://www.aldisreviews.com/archives/41
>
> says aldis is in the UK do you have them in oz?

Yes, we have had Aldi for years, without them we wouldn't get to eat
much :)

> they are new to my area..I like some of their stuff and its cheap..but
> like I got onions from them and they smelled and tasted like rotted
> fish..was gross!

I don't but fruit and vegetables from them. Everything is quite old, as
in grown too long and little flavour.

> after more digging some sites list their coffee as having carbs which
> isn't on the label...odd
>
> how and why would u add carbs to a unground beans??

Dunno, lol. Inject them? I am curious as to how a bean can be made to
resemble dunkin' donuts style. But I am not a coffee drinker in general.

KROM 12-01-2012 07:40 PM

weirdest thing ever..

I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and as
usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have gone cheap
using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with the same
label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change the label.

as I said before it happens all the time with products.

look at Twinkies...they want to know why they aren't popular and the
business is failed...well the simple answer is they messed them up..they are
gross..they aren't Twinkies anymore and haven't been for years.

the yummy sponge cake made yellow from egg yolks is now a weird wet
substance that’s colored with chemicals and the cream which was once real
cream is now Crisco and high fructose corn syrup.

its gross..everyone says its gross..but its cheaper for them to make it fake
and probably far longer shelf life .

my last Twinkie about ten years ago was gross then and I hear its worse
now...yuk

the meatballs were bland and weird textured and clearly changed from the
"get ya hooked" version

KROM

KROM 12-01-2012 07:44 PM

weirdest thing ever..

I assumed they meant the blend of beans they use..but maybe not..lol

I am sure if my body hadn't been messed up by the crazy meatballs id have
never noticed.

the coffee doesn’t spike my wife just me but the meatballs got us both so
those must be crazy bad to spike a non diabetic like they did.

but the Beaumont <aldis brand> coffee spikes me right now when the Kona and
even folders instant does not.

KROM

W. Baker 12-01-2012 10:04 PM

weirdest thing ever..

KROM > wrote:
[...]

I have no memory of Twinkie ever having "real cream" or a real cream
tasste in the filling. They wee always regarded as pure junk food and we
kids loven them. They wee the first choice for out monthly birthday
parties when I was in th efourth grade, but we had to get the cupkakes
with hard icing and white filling because hey were a pack of 2 for 5Cents,
while the Teinkies cos twice as much and we each got 1 item along with
juice for those parties(alwasy held AFTER lunch).

I loved then at 9, but didn't once I became an adult.

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-01-2012 10:48 PM

weirdest thing ever..

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> KROM > wrote:
> : I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and
> as
> : usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have gone
> cheap
> : using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with the same
> : label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change the
> label.
>
> : as I said before it happens all the time with products.
>
> : look at Twinkies...they want to know why they aren't popular and the
> : business is failed...well the simple answer is they messed them up..they
> are
> : gross..they aren't Twinkies anymore and haven't been for years.
>
> : the yummy sponge cake made yellow from egg yolks is now a weird wet
> : substance that?s colored with chemicals and the cream which was once
> real
> : cream is now Crisco and high fructose corn syrup.
>
> : its gross..everyone says its gross..but its cheaper for them to make it
> fake
> : and probably far longer shelf life .
>
> : my last Twinkie about ten years ago was gross then and I hear its worse
> : now...yuk
>
> : the meatballs were bland and weird textured and clearly changed from the
> : "get ya hooked" version
>
> : KROM
>
> I have no memory of Twinkie ever having "real cream" or a real cream
> tasste in the filling. They wee always regarded as pure junk food and we
> kids loven them. They wee the first choice for out monthly birthday
> parties when I was in th efourth grade, but we had to get the cupkakes
> with hard icing and white filling because hey were a pack of 2 for 5Cents,
> while the Teinkies cos twice as much and we each got 1 item along with
> juice for those parties(alwasy held AFTER lunch).
>
> I loved then at 9, but didn't once I became an adult.

I have never ever eaten a Twinkie. And I never would.

W. Baker 13-01-2012 12:28 AM

weirdest thing ever..

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > KROM > wrote:
: > : I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and
: > as
: > : usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have gone
: > cheap
: > : using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with the same
: > : label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change the
: > label.
: >
[...]

IIRC you have never really liked cake and tht kind of sweets, so why would
we think you might have eaten them oher than as a taste ?

Wendy?

Tiger Lily 13-01-2012 12:55 AM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/12/2012 12:40 PM, KROM wrote:
> I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and
> as usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have
> gone cheap using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with
> the same label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change
> the label.

tip: Ikea :D

> as I said before it happens all the time with products.
>
> look at Twinkies...they want to know why they aren't popular and the
> business is failed...well the simple answer is they messed them up..they
> are gross..they aren't Twinkies anymore and haven't been for years.
>
> the yummy sponge cake made yellow from egg yolks is now a weird wet
> substance that’s colored with chemicals and the cream which was once
> real cream is now Crisco and high fructose corn syrup.
>
> its gross..everyone says its gross..but its cheaper for them to make it
> fake and probably far longer shelf life .
>
> my last Twinkie about ten years ago was gross then and I hear its worse
> now...yuk

i tried a Twinkie in 1974........ (note: i didn't say i ATE it)

> the meatballs were bland and weird textured and clearly changed from the
> "get ya hooked" version
>
> KROM

yup, sigh

Julie Bove[_2_] 13-01-2012 02:39 AM

weirdest thing ever..

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > KROM > wrote:
> : > : I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product
> and
> : > as
> : > : usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have
> gone
> : > cheap
> : > : using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with the same
> : > : label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change the
> : > label.
> : >
> : > : as I said before it happens all the time with products.
> : >
> : > : look at Twinkies...they want to know why they aren't popular and the
> : > : business is failed...well the simple answer is they messed them
> up..they
> : > are
> : > : gross..they aren't Twinkies anymore and haven't been for years.
> : >
> : > : the yummy sponge cake made yellow from egg yolks is now a weird wet
> : > : substance that?s colored with chemicals and the cream which was once
> : > real
> : > : cream is now Crisco and high fructose corn syrup.
> : >
> : > : its gross..everyone says its gross..but its cheaper for them to make
> it
> : > fake
> : > : and probably far longer shelf life .
> : >
> : > : my last Twinkie about ten years ago was gross then and I hear its
> worse
> : > : now...yuk
> : >
> : > : the meatballs were bland and weird textured and clearly changed from
> the
> : > : "get ya hooked" version
> : >
> : > : KROM
> : >
> : > I have no memory of Twinkie ever having "real cream" or a real cream
> : > tasste in the filling. They wee always regarded as pure junk food and
> we
> : > kids loven them. They wee the first choice for out monthly birthday
> : > parties when I was in th efourth grade, but we had to get the cupkakes
> : > with hard icing and white filling because hey were a pack of 2 for
> 5Cents,
> : > while the Teinkies cos twice as much and we each got 1 item along with
> : > juice for those parties(alwasy held AFTER lunch).
> : >
> : > I loved then at 9, but didn't once I became an adult.
>
> : I have never ever eaten a Twinkie. And I never would.
> IIRC you have never really liked cake and tht kind of sweets, so why would
> we think you might have eaten them oher than as a taste ?
>
> Wendy?

Well most people have eaten one.

KROM 13-01-2012 08:07 PM

weirdest thing ever..

after watching a lot of food science shows I can tell you why...

the main reason is commercial agriculture ..especially in the united states
it is impossible to use non mega corp grains if youre a farmer and so the
yummy bread grain your local area used for a century have been replaced by
giant chemical corp x's brand of grain which is bred to be easy to grow and
produce max yield and contain organic pesticides over taste.

then you get to the other ingredients..most which have been replaced.

lard from beef or pig makes things MUCH tastier then vegetable oils

and sugar which has a flavor profile has been replaced with corn syrup which
has a different one..it is sweeter but then sugar but doesnt taste like
it..especially in baked goods.

to make the thing last longer then the normal day a baked good would last
they put chemicals in it to stabilize it to make it last a week or so.

then you have hands free methods of making the product..the love and craft
the maker used to make the product has been replaced with high heat then
flash frozen all within a minute of each other changing the true texture and
taste of the product even if you had made it properly...which is unlikely
since machined goods have to be reworked in the recipe to ensure ease of
making

in other words its a mess and very sad most people in the world wont ever
get to try real food made with care and expertise

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote ...

I don't think any baked good, fresh or commercial, taste as good as they
did years ago.

KROM 13-01-2012 08:11 PM

weirdest thing ever..

if I recall it is regional..I live where these foods were invented and often
made and we are the test market usually so as I said before we get the "get
ya hooked" version first to see if the thing will sell.

Pillsbury and general mills all started and are still based from Minnesota

the reason was we had the top of the Mississippi river to transport the
products south and the falls to power the grinders for the grains

and Minnesota rocks..lol

KROM

W. Baker 13-01-2012 09:16 PM

weirdest thing ever..

KROM > wrote:
[...]

A large apart of that is our own tastebuds. Taste like the other
senses are generally les intense as we get older. Don't have to be 90 to
suffer from less acute hearing, vision(reading glasses aftr 40) or tste.
Nothing really tastes as good as it used to. That is why we often like
using more spices adn herbs as we age to give us a bigger taste kick.

What Krom said is not wrong, but I think that more of it has to do with
just becoming a grown-up and thencontinuing to age.

Wendy

Bjørn Steensrud 14-01-2012 07:24 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Tiger Lily wrote:

> On 1/12/2012 12:40 PM, KROM wrote:
>> I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and
>> as usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have
>> gone cheap using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with
>> the same label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change
>> the label.

> tip: Ikea :D

Aha - there's a warning out in the EU: IKEA has started to use soy in their
meatballs without labelling them "contains soy protein". An unlucky soy
allergic person discovered it. (our local supplier says they don't, but we
make ours from scratch anyway - Norwegian style, not Swedish style.)

Alice Faber 14-01-2012 07:51 PM

weirdest thing ever..

In article >,
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> Tiger Lily wrote:
>
> > On 1/12/2012 12:40 PM, KROM wrote:
> >> I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and
> >> as usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have
> >> gone cheap using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with
> >> the same label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change
> >> the label.

> > tip: Ikea :D

> Aha - there's a warning out in the EU: IKEA has started to use soy in their
> meatballs without labelling them "contains soy protein". An unlucky soy
> allergic person discovered it. (our local supplier says they don't, but we
> make ours from scratch anyway - Norwegian style, not Swedish style.)

I was shocked the last time I bought a bag of Ikea meatballs to see just
how much grain filler they had, making that the *last* time I will buy
Ikea meatballs.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Tiger Lily 14-01-2012 09:03 PM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/14/2012 12:51 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
>>> tip: Ikea :D
>> >
>> > Aha - there's a warning out in the EU: IKEA has started to use soy in their
>> > meatballs without labelling them "contains soy protein". An unlucky soy
>> > allergic person discovered it. (our local supplier says they don't, but we
>> > make ours from scratch anyway - Norwegian style, not Swedish style.)

> I was shocked the last time I bought a bag of Ikea meatballs to see just
> how much grain filler they had, making that the*last* time I will buy
> Ikea meatballs.

oh great

well, this is a 'treat' that the non-diabetics like to have..... i don't
like soy and the grain explains why i can eat 4 meatballs LOL

now, to figure out what is Norwegian style meatballs

kate

Evelyn 15-01-2012 12:41 AM

weirdest thing ever..

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:24:35 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
> wrote:

>Tiger Lily wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/2012 12:40 PM, KROM wrote:
>>> I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and
>>> as usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have
>>> gone cheap using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with
>>> the same label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change
>>> the label.

>> tip: Ikea :D

>Aha - there's a warning out in the EU: IKEA has started to use soy in their
>meatballs without labelling them "contains soy protein". An unlucky soy
>allergic person discovered it. (our local supplier says they don't, but we
>make ours from scratch anyway - Norwegian style, not Swedish style.)

How do Norwegian meatballs differ from Swedish?

Evelyn

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-01-2012 12:58 AM

weirdest thing ever..

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:24:35 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
> > wrote:
>
>>Tiger Lily wrote:

>>> tip: Ikea :D

>>Aha - there's a warning out in the EU: IKEA has started to use soy in
>>their
>>meatballs without labelling them "contains soy protein". An unlucky soy
>>allergic person discovered it. (our local supplier says they don't, but we
>>make ours from scratch anyway - Norwegian style, not Swedish style.)

> How do Norwegian meatballs differ from Swedish?

I just looked up some recipes.

Norwegian:

http://www.sofn.com/norwegian_cultur...Meatballs.html

5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, pork; ground three times)
2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 T. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour

Swedish:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl30129q.htm

a.. 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices bread
b.. 1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
c.. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
d.. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
e.. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
f.. 3/4 cup milk
g.. 2 pounds ground beef
h.. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
i.. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
j.. 2 tablespoons flour
k.. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
l.. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
Looks like the Swedish have a lot mroe filler.

Evelyn 15-01-2012 01:27 AM

weirdest thing ever..

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:58:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:24:35 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
>> > wrote:

>>>Aha - there's a warning out in the EU: IKEA has started to use soy in
>>>their
>>>meatballs without labelling them "contains soy protein". An unlucky soy
>>>allergic person discovered it. (our local supplier says they don't, but we
>>>make ours from scratch anyway - Norwegian style, not Swedish style.)

>> How do Norwegian meatballs differ from Swedish?

>I just looked up some recipes.
>
>Norwegian:
>
>http://www.sofn.com/norwegian_cultur...Meatballs.html
>
> 5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, pork; ground three times)
> 2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
> 1/2 tsp. allspice
> 1 T. salt
> 1/2 tsp. pepper
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1/2 cup half & half
> 1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
> 4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
> 2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour
>

>Swedish:
>
>http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl30129q.htm
>
> a.. 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices bread
> b.. 1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
> c.. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> d.. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> e.. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> f.. 3/4 cup milk
> g.. 2 pounds ground beef
> h.. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> i.. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
> j.. 2 tablespoons flour
> k.. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
> l.. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
>Looks like the Swedish have a lot mroe filler.

The Norwegian ones seem like the ones I make but I call them Swedish!
Of course that is a very large recipe, too.

Evelyn

W. Baker 15-01-2012 01:42 AM

weirdest thing ever..

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Tiger Lily wrote:

: > On 1/12/2012 12:40 PM, KROM wrote:
: >> I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product and
: >> as usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now have
: >> gone cheap using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball with
: >> the same label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to change
: >> the label.
: >
: > tip: Ikea :D

: Aha - there's a warning out in the EU: IKEA has started to use soy in their
: meatballs without labelling them "contains soy protein". An unlucky soy
: allergic person discovered it. (our local supplier says they don't, but we
: make ours from scratch anyway - Norwegian style, not Swedish style.)

OK, I'll bite. What is the difference?

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-01-2012 02:06 AM

weirdest thing ever..

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:58:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:24:35 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud

>>> How do Norwegian meatballs differ from Swedish?

>>I just looked up some recipes.
>>
>>Norwegian:
>>
>>http://www.sofn.com/norwegian_cultur...Meatballs.html
>>
>> 5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, pork; ground three times)
>> 2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
>> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
>> 1/2 tsp. allspice
>> 1 T. salt
>> 1/2 tsp. pepper
>> 2 eggs, beaten
>> 1/2 cup half & half
>> 1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
>> 4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
>> 2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour
>>

>>Swedish:
>>
>>http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl30129q.htm
>>
>> a.. 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices bread
>> b.. 1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
>> c.. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> d.. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> e.. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
>> f.. 3/4 cup milk
>> g.. 2 pounds ground beef
>> h.. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>> i.. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
>> j.. 2 tablespoons flour
>> k.. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
>> l.. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
>>Looks like the Swedish have a lot mroe filler.
>>

> The Norwegian ones seem like the ones I make but I call them Swedish!
> Of course that is a very large recipe, too.

I never made them. I could get some really good meatballs at the military
commissary that were either Italian or Swedish seasoned. No good to me now
because of the egg and wheat in them. But I served them to countless people
and they thought I made them from scratch. They were that good.

Ozgirl 15-01-2012 04:22 AM

weirdest thing ever..

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:58:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:24:35 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud

>>> How do Norwegian meatballs differ from Swedish?

>>I just looked up some recipes.
>>
>>Norwegian:
>>
>>http://www.sofn.com/norwegian_cultur...Meatballs.html
>>
>> 5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, pork; ground three times)
>> 2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
>> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
>> 1/2 tsp. allspice
>> 1 T. salt
>> 1/2 tsp. pepper
>> 2 eggs, beaten
>> 1/2 cup half & half
>> 1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
>> 4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
>> 2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour
>>

>>Swedish:
>>
>>http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl30129q.htm
>>
>> a.. 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices bread
>> b.. 1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
>> c.. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> d.. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> e.. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
>> f.. 3/4 cup milk
>> g.. 2 pounds ground beef
>> h.. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>> i.. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
>> j.. 2 tablespoons flour
>> k.. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
>> l.. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
>>Looks like the Swedish have a lot mroe filler.
>>

> The Norwegian ones seem like the ones I make but I call them Swedish!
> Of course that is a very large recipe, too.

Yes it is, so per serve it probably would be ok for some. I think from
what I am seeing, that the main part of "Swedish" meatballs is the
creamy sauce on top so one could make meatlballs a la lower carb with
their favourite recipe. Norwegian ones seem to have 3 meats (beef, veal
and pork) plus brown gravy.

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-01-2012 04:27 AM

weirdest thing ever..

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:58:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I just looked up some recipes.
>>>
>>> Norwegian:
>>>
>>> http://www.sofn.com/norwegian_cultur...Meatballs.html
>>>
>>> 5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, pork; ground three times)
>>> 2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
>>> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
>>> 1/2 tsp. allspice
>>> 1 T. salt
>>> 1/2 tsp. pepper
>>> 2 eggs, beaten
>>> 1/2 cup half & half
>>> 1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
>>> 4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
>>> 2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour
>>>

>>> Swedish:
>>>
>>> http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl30129q.htm
>>>
>>> a.. 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices bread
>>> b.. 1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
>>> c.. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>>> d.. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>>> e.. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
>>> f.. 3/4 cup milk
>>> g.. 2 pounds ground beef
>>> h.. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>>> i.. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
>>> j.. 2 tablespoons flour
>>> k.. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
>>> l.. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
>>> Looks like the Swedish have a lot mroe filler.
>>>

>> The Norwegian ones seem like the ones I make but I call them Swedish!
>> Of course that is a very large recipe, too.
>>

> Yes it is, so per serve it probably would be ok for some. I think from
> what I am seeing, that the main part of "Swedish" meatballs is the
> creamy sauce on top so one could make meatlballs a la lower carb with
> their favourite recipe. Norwegian ones seem to have 3 meats (beef,
> veal and pork) plus brown gravy.

But the Swedish ones are super tender and for that I think you need the
bread.

Bjørn Steensrud 15-01-2012 07:23 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Tiger Lily wrote:

> now, to figure out what is Norwegian style meatballs

Bigger and flatter, a bit smaller than burger patties. Mix ground beef with
salt to bind the fat, add potato flour or corn starch as binder, then mix
well with milk to a loose mix - form patties with wet hands and brown in
butter, then simmer in a sauce made from brown roux.
Spices - maybe a pinch of pepper, some nutmeg and ginger powder.
My mom used to mix in a raw egg as binder.

It used to be a joke that husbands complained that they missed "mom's
kjøttkaker" ... my children talk about dad's kjøttkaker :-)

Bjørn Steensrud 15-01-2012 07:33 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Evelyn wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:58:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:24:35 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud

>>> How do Norwegian meatballs differ from Swedish?

>>I just looked up some recipes.
>>
>>Norwegian:
>>
>>http://www.sofn.com/norwegian_cultur...Meatballs.html
>>
>> 5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, pork; ground three times)
>> 2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
>> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
>> 1/2 tsp. allspice
>> 1 T. salt
>> 1/2 tsp. pepper
>> 2 eggs, beaten
>> 1/2 cup half & half
>> 1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
>> 4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
>> 2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour
>>

>>Swedish:
>>
>>http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl30129q.htm
>>
>> a.. 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices bread
>> b.. 1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
>> c.. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> d.. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> e.. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
>> f.. 3/4 cup milk
>> g.. 2 pounds ground beef
>> h.. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>> i.. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
>> j.. 2 tablespoons flour
>> k.. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
>> l.. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
>>Looks like the Swedish have a lot mroe filler.
>>

> The Norwegian ones seem like the ones I make but I call them Swedish!
> Of course that is a very large recipe, too.
>
> Evelyn

That's a huge recipe - I normally use 1/2 kg of ground meat, skip the
onions, might use the bouillon to make the roux sauce.

Oh - and serve with a stew made from dried (and soaked) green peas.

Bjørn Steensrud 15-01-2012 09:14 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

> Tiger Lily wrote:
>

>> now, to figure out what is Norwegian style meatballs

> Bigger and flatter, a bit smaller than burger patties. Mix ground beef
> with salt to bind the fat, add potato flour or corn starch as binder, then
> mix well with milk to a loose mix - form patties with wet hands and brown
> in butter, then simmer in a sauce made from brown roux.
> Spices - maybe a pinch of pepper, some nutmeg and ginger powder.
> My mom used to mix in a raw egg as binder.
>
> It used to be a joke that husbands complained that they missed "mom's
> kjøttkaker" ... my children talk about dad's kjøttkaker :-)

The word I was looking for is "gravy" ... furrfu.

W. Baker 15-01-2012 09:59 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Evelyn wrote:

: > On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:58:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
: > > wrote:
: >
: >>
: >>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
: . ..
: >>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:24:35 +0100, Bj?rn Steensrud
: >>> > wrote:
: >>>
: >>>>Tiger Lily wrote:
: >>>>
: >>>>> On 1/12/2012 12:40 PM, KROM wrote:
: >>>>>> I have eaten the same meatballs many times they were a new product
: >>>>>> and as usual were made with real ingredient etc to hook you and now
: >>>>>> have gone cheap using fillers and delivering a barely meat ..meatball
: >>>>>> with the same label..and I am sure if called on it would be forced to
: >>>>>> change the label.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> tip: Ikea :D
: >>>>
[...]

And then there is Lutefisk(sp?):-)

Wendy

Evelyn 15-01-2012 11:45 PM

weirdest thing ever..

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:59:13 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> [...]

>: >> e.. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
>: >> f.. 3/4 cup milk
>: >> g.. 2 pounds ground beef
>: >> h.. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>: >> i.. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
>: >> j.. 2 tablespoons flour
>: >> k.. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
>: >> l.. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
>: >>Looks like the Swedish have a lot mroe filler.
>: >>
>: >
>: >
>: > The Norwegian ones seem like the ones I make but I call them Swedish!
>: > Of course that is a very large recipe, too.
>: >
>: > Evelyn
>
>: That's a huge recipe - I normally use 1/2 kg of ground meat, skip the
>: onions, might use the bouillon to make the roux sauce.
>
>: Oh - and serve with a stew made from dried (and soaked) green peas.

Now Lutefisk sounds really awful (pardon the expression) but I am sure
there are plenty of Lutefisk fans out there!

Evelyn

Tiger Lily 16-01-2012 08:01 AM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/15/2012 12:23 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Tiger Lily wrote:
>

>> now, to figure out what is Norwegian style meatballs

> Bigger and flatter, a bit smaller than burger patties. Mix ground beef with
> salt to bind the fat, add potato flour or corn starch as binder, then mix
> well with milk to a loose mix - form patties with wet hands and brown in
> butter, then simmer in a sauce made from brown roux.
> Spices - maybe a pinch of pepper, some nutmeg and ginger powder.
> My mom used to mix in a raw egg as binder.
>
> It used to be a joke that husbands complained that they missed "mom's
> kjøttkaker" ... my children talk about dad's kjøttkaker :-)

ohhhhhhh

would a touch of onion and diced apple work with that? (and garlic?)

that sounds delish Bjorn!

and yes, i've had the Norwegian style meatballs, now i know what they
were called! (we were called to 'dinner!')

kate

Tiger Lily 16-01-2012 08:02 AM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/15/2012 2:14 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> The word I was looking for is "gravy" ... furrfu.

brown roux worked :D

kate

Bjørn Steensrud 16-01-2012 05:28 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Tiger Lily wrote:

> On 1/15/2012 12:23 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> Tiger Lily wrote:
>>

>>> now, to figure out what is Norwegian style meatballs

>> Bigger and flatter, a bit smaller than burger patties. Mix ground beef
>> with salt to bind the fat, add potato flour or corn starch as binder,
>> then mix well with milk to a loose mix - form patties with wet hands and
>> brown in butter, then simmer in a sauce made from brown roux.
>> Spices - maybe a pinch of pepper, some nutmeg and ginger powder.
>> My mom used to mix in a raw egg as binder.
>>
>> It used to be a joke that husbands complained that they missed "mom's
>> kjøttkaker" ... my children talk about dad's kjøttkaker :-)

> ohhhhhhh
>
> would a touch of onion and diced apple work with that? (and garlic?)

Yes to all! If you like garlic, that is - I do and will try it next time!

Binder - I use 2 tbsp potato flour per pound of ground meat. I haven't
worked out the starch content of the final product, but I hope it's bg
friendly :-)

Bjørn Steensrud 16-01-2012 05:34 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Evelyn wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:59:13 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:

>>And then there is Lutefisk(sp?):-)
>>
>>Wendy

> Now Lutefisk sounds really awful (pardon the expression) but I am sure
> there are plenty of Lutefisk fans out there!
>
> Evelyn

I'm one :-) but yes, I think an American town tried to ban it, "a chemical
weapon" :-)

If you try it, look for a recipe that specifies foil-wrapped fish in an
oven. Simmering it in water is quite tricky and the result can be a
gelatinous mess instead of delicious fish. Strangely enough, the same green
pea stew served with kjøttkake also works fine with lutefisk. The debate
about what goes with it is worse than vi/emacs, and on this side of the
ocean we're sometimes horrified at what they serve in the Midwest ... :-)

Tiger Lily 16-01-2012 10:47 PM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/16/2012 10:28 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Tiger Lily wrote:

>>> Bigger and flatter, a bit smaller than burger patties. Mix ground beef
>>> with salt to bind the fat, add potato flour or corn starch as binder,
>>> then mix well with milk to a loose mix - form patties with wet hands and
>>> brown in butter, then simmer in a sauce made from brown roux.
>>> Spices - maybe a pinch of pepper, some nutmeg and ginger powder.
>>> My mom used to mix in a raw egg as binder.
>>>
>>> It used to be a joke that husbands complained that they missed "mom's
>>> kjøttkaker" ... my children talk about dad's kjøttkaker :-)

>> ohhhhhhh
>>
>> would a touch of onion and diced apple work with that? (and garlic?)

> Yes to all! If you like garlic, that is - I do and will try it next time!
>
> Binder - I use 2 tbsp potato flour per pound of ground meat. I haven't
> worked out the starch content of the final product, but I hope it's bg
> friendly :-)
>
>> that sounds delish Bjorn!
>>
>> and yes, i've had the Norwegian style meatballs, now i know what they
>> were called! (we were called to 'dinner!')
>>
>> kate

Bjorn, isn't the egg sufficient to bind the meat?

i haven't added bread or crackers to hamburger since dx with
diabetes....... and seem to be doing ok?

i thought the bread/flour was more 'filler' (ok, bread maybe more so
than the flour)

kate

and ty for your reply, this sounds really good :D

Tiger Lily 16-01-2012 10:49 PM

weirdest thing ever..

On 1/16/2012 10:34 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> and on this side of the
> ocean we're sometimes horrified at what they serve in the Midwest ...:-)

like what?

cause you have to hunt high and low for "prairie oysters" before you
will find them LOL

kate (not really Midwest, but that whole NA "prairie" thing is pretty
big......... with lots of Svede's in N Dakota and S Dakota and ........ LOL)

W. Baker 16-01-2012 11:35 PM

weirdest thing ever..

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 1/16/2012 10:34 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: > and on this side of the
: > ocean we're sometimes horrified at what they serve in the Midwest ...:-)

: like what?

: cause you have to hunt high and low for "prairie oysters" before you
: will find them LOL

: kate (not really Midwest, but that whole NA "prairie" thing is pretty
: big......... with lots of Svede's in N Dakota and S Dakota and ........ LOL)

I wonder it he means what passes for Lutefisk among those of Norweigen
origin in the midwest.

Wendy